PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Moore's head

SoCon48
September 5th, 2011, 12:06 AM
There are Mountaineer fans over on the MMB calling for Jerry's head after a thumping by the nation's #13 ranked team in FBS. They forget his 199 wins, a ton of SoCon championships, 3 consecutive FCS national titles and the fact that he has only one losing season in over two decades. Too, this team lost three players to the NFL last season. The anti-Jerry crowd has waited 22 years to get a shot at him. No, that's not true, they have done it every season. I pity the coach when App goes FBS who finishes 3-8 early on.

App-a-latch-un
September 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Oh that's like 3 idiots out of the entire fan base, nobody who isn't drunk in the corner crying over the loss is saying that. Jerry Moore is great, don't be a tabloid reporter.

SideLine Shooter
September 5th, 2011, 06:30 AM
There are Mountaineer fans over on the MMB calling for Jerry's head after a thumping by the nation's #13 ranked team in FBS. They forget his 199 wins, a ton of SoCon championships, 3 consecutive FCS national titles and the fact that he has only one losing season in over two decades. Too, this team lost three players to the NFL last season. The anti-Jerry crowd has waited 22 years to get a shot at him. No, that's not true, they have done it every season. I pity the coach when App goes FBS who finishes 3-8 early on.

They have been drinking way too much. Hell, they are even talking of transferring to UNCC since they have never lost a football game. If you ask me they would fit in great at UNCC and they could even buddy up with that niner fan guy that can't reason either.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM
We have fans calling for sitting Jaybo Shaw because we didn't beat Samford (a team who beat us the last three years) bad enough.xchinscratchx

BlueHenSinfonian
September 5th, 2011, 07:43 AM

I think the crazy yahoos are just a part of team-specific message boards. After the loss to Navy there were posters at GoHens.net calling out Keeler and predicting a complete meltdown of a season, all after one FBS game.

It's one of the reasons I prefer AGS - most people around here seem a little bit more level headed, and it's always nice to keep things in context through conversation with fans of other teams.

Apps03
September 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Are you going to announce your retirement here too?

ElonPride
September 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Well man, I remember the same talk about a decade ago. A very vocal group on escribe wanting him gone. Are these the same folks calling for his head this time around?

blueballs
September 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Moore has done wonderful things for that institution and barring any kind of scandal will write his own ticket out of town when he deems it is time to go.

However, he looked OLD Saturday and App simply didn't compete which I found very surprising. App is playing .500 ball since their trip to GSU last fall which combined with the way they laid down Saturday should cause great concern for the Appies.

Mikeyosef
September 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Jerry Moore is going no where until he's good and ready. He's a huge part of why we have been successful in the past and why we will be successful in the future. Those who claim Satterfield and Elliott are the real reason App was so successful in 05-07 forget who hired those guys. Even though I don't like, what I see as, vanilla play calling since Satterfield left I wouldn't trade Jerry for anything.

Having said that, I understand why others are so upset. No one in their right mind would have been putting money down on us to win but few could have guessed how badly it would go, so early on. Our team didn't seem prepared, mentally/emotionally or otherwise for the onslaught that occurred at the start and continued to near the end of the 3rd quarter. It could be youth and inexperience on the O-line, the lack of a true "starting" RB, the new defense, young DBs or a number of other things. Whatever the reasons, a hopped up on vengence and "speed" VT team took advantage of them all. xbowx

As for Beamer being a "class act" I think he proved his point to the power that be regarding "ranking" bowl eligibility, etc prior to the end of the first half. So, no, I don't think any coach up 52-0 who keeps his starting RB in the game is a "class act." The final reason to shut up about Jerry Moore is that he IS a class act...he would never keep a guy like that in a game like this.

SOOOOOO, instead of talking about Jerry Moore's head, let's focus on Beamer's head....I want a rematch asap! There should be plenty of motivation there.xnodx

HappyAppy
September 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Moore has done wonderful things for that institution and barring any kind of scandal will write his own ticket out of town when he deems it is time to go.

However, he looked OLD Saturday and App simply didn't compete which I found very surprising. App is playing .500 ball since their trip to GSU last fall which combined with the way they laid down Saturday should cause great concern for the Appies.

Yeah man it really should be of great concern. If we lose to scrubs like that, our program is clearly on the decline. I'm scared to even play against NC A&T next week; after all, we've lost to Virginia Tech, Florida, and two national semifinalists. THE SKY IS FALLING, THE APPALACHIAN RUN IS OVER.

Sorry, no great concern coming from me.

crossfire07
September 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
VT went into this game to prove it was not going to happen this year. Does not matter what FCS team and coach rolled in there, an *** wh00ping as still coming.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Well man, I remember the same talk about a decade ago. A very vocal group on escribe wanting him gone. Are these the same folks calling for his head this time around?

Probably, plus a few young punks, Oldham. Good post.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah man it really should be of great concern. If we lose to scrubs like that, our program is clearly on the decline. I'm scared to even play against NC A&T next week; after all, we've lost to Virginia Tech, Florida, and two national semifinalists. THE SKY IS FALLING, THE APPALACHIAN RUN IS OVER.

Sorry, no great concern coming from me.

Scrubs? 13th in FBS????

Wildcat80
September 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM
We up north view Coach Moore as a CLASS ACT. I'm glad UNH did not play VT!

theasushow
September 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Scrubs? 13th in FBS????

He's being sarcastic...we will be a lot more worried if we play the same way against A&T.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
He's being sarcastic...we will be a lot more worried if we play the same way against A&T.

Sarcasm doesn.t come through well on message boards.

asumike83
September 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM
First off, calling for Jerry's head is crazy. He can and will stay in Boone until he is damn well ready, and he has my full support.

However, the game on Saturday was one of the saddest efforts I have seen from an Appalachian team in a long time. Nobody (myself included) was expecting to leave Lane Stadium with a W, but we did not even compete. VT could have easily scored 80-90 points if they'd wanted to. The team had better learn from this and those young players need to grow up fast, or we could have some struggles this year.

Unfortunately, we probably won't know much more about this team for 3 weeks when Chattanooga comes to Boone. We got blown up on the line of scrimmage on both sides and the inexperience in the trenches showed, but I am confident they will develop throughout the year. They were thrown to the wolves and could not handle that atmosphere. The biggest concern for me is that despite all the talent and speed we have in the backfield, there is not one guy I would consider a true, every down running back. Somebody needs to step up and fill that role if we are ever going to have an identity on offense.

Mountaineer
September 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Newsflash: Retards inhabit the internet in staggering quantities.

App got drubbed, no question about it, but it's hard to lay the loss at the feet of one man. All facets were equally dismal and VT was out for blood. Sometimes a team simply runs into a buzzsaw, and it was the Mountaineers turn this go round. It'll be another team somewhere down the road.

Coach Moore has earned the right to hang his hit in the front office for as long as he likes. I wouldn't be opposed to cryogenically freezing the man and pulling him from the ice in 2215 to start another run. ;)

cmaxwellgsu
September 5th, 2011, 03:18 PM
It only counts once in the loss column. Until somebody else takes the SoCon, it's hard to take any real criticism of Coach Moore seriously. With that said, I like our chances of taking the title this year.

ThompsonThe
September 5th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Coach Moore is a good coach, but that doesn't mean that our assistant coaches are that good. They have not made obvious adjustments in a number of football games. Hardly used our RB Miller against VPI, 2 carries for 15 yards. I would take that as an average. Didn't try screen and bubble passes to take off the pressure so much on a young offensive line. Then started a walk on O llineman. Didn't use plays Saturday that would obviously have brought more and better results.
That said, Coach Moore, maybe due to his age, has not taken charge of the team the last couple of years as most coaches do. Still being somewhat confrontational but not really leading hisassistant coaches and the team. Hiring his punk son as an assistant coach when he is obviously a poor coach is one example. Not demanding adjustments and changes, especially at half time. I heard that Coach Moore didn't even talk to the team at half time at Virginia Tech. Look at the post game from last year after the Villanova game, Coach Moore said that he didn't understand why we ran continuously the same places and plays we tried and failed to gain on in the first half. Well, who is responsible for making sure that the assistant coaches make those changes? The "Tooth Fairy"?
Figured we would have trouble with the new 3-4 defense but would have thought some problems could have been anticipated more. Just like when we put the spread option in the first game playing Wyoming years ago, that was one of the worst other games that I can remember. Coach Moore said they thought about scrapping it on the plane coming back. Glad they didn't; hope our version of the 3-4 proves as effective eventually. A lot of pain in the birth, hope for a successful delivery.

SpeedkingATL
September 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
There are a number of fans that have unreasonable expectataions and expect every time we step on field that "Michigan Upset II" is going to take place. Any rational fan would look at the results of most FBS vs FCS , especially highly ranked FBS, and not expect to many miracles. Anyone calling for Moore's head is in the minority. If App looks this bad against NC A&T or Sav State then there may be a reason to panic. There is a reason the App and JMU upsets were such a big deal because they are very rare indeed.

AppMAN04
September 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
There are a number of fans that have unreasonable expectataions and expect every time we step on field that "Michigan Upset II" is going to take place. Any rational fan would look at the results of most FBS vs FCS , especially highly ranked FBS, and not expect to many miracles. Anyone calling for Moore's head is in the minority. If App looks this bad against NC A&T or Sav State then there may be a reason to panic. There is a reason the App and JMU upsets were such a big deal because they are very rare indeed.

WELL SAID!

SoCon48
September 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Not in the minority by much on the MMB.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2011, 11:04 PM
WELL SAID!

Nice pics.

ngineer
September 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM

Every school has a group of idiots who love to post anonymously on their message boards and rip whoever is the coach. Moore has done a fabulous job at ASU. However, this maybe a wake up call for some about going the FBS route.

alvinkayak6
September 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Every school does have its fair share of idiots. But some are also more delusional or bitter. Some have way high expectations every year. I would put most of my "GSU friends" there.

Smitty
September 6th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Every school does have its fair share of idiots. But some are also more delusional or bitter. Some have way high expectations every year. I would put most of my "GSU friends" there.

Wow thats scary then, I've got a 50-50 chance of being the idiot since there are only 2 Western fans on this board...

The Cats
September 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wow thats scary then, I've got a 50-50 chance of being the idiot since there are only 2 Western fans on this board...

Nope, I earned that title long ago.

Mountaineer#96
September 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Every school has a group of idiots who love to post anonymously on their message boards and rip whoever is the coach. Moore has done a fabulous job at ASU. However, this maybe a wake up call for some about going the FBS route.

Well said.....

Sort of like the idiots that like clockwork feel the playcalling was bad or the defense isn't blitzing enough, and if they just would run a play action pass the "boys" would have been in the end zone hours ago.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM

I realize they are in the minority (hopefully) but are extremely vocal. Good post by the way. It sums up my thoughts exactly only I'm not as good a composer.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Nope, I earned that title long ago.

No you didn't. You are one of the classier posters on this AGS.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Nope, unfortunately, they are as vocal and convinced about FBS as ever, or even more so.

asumike83
September 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Nope, unfortunately, they are as vocal and convinced about FBS as ever, or even more so.

I may be in the minority here, but this game doesn't affect my view on an FBS move either way. We went into Lane Stadium and got absolutely destroyed by a very good VT team. Was it a painful, discouraging game to watch? Absolutely, but it only goes in the loss column once, it has no effect on our season nor does it hinder the possibility of an FBS move. If you look back at the last 4 seasons, there are a lot of ACC teams (Miami, BC, NC State, Wake Forest, UVa and of course Duke) that have left Lane Stadium licking their wounds after a 4+ TD beating, so getting trounced in Blacksburg as an FCS squad is embarrassing but not unheard of. An FBS move would obviously not put ASU at the level of a program like VT but the additional scholarships and ability to attract higher quality athletes would even the playing field a bit, so I do not see a correlation between being blown out while in the FCS and the potential for success after a move to the FBS.

AppAlum2003
September 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I heard that Jerry Moore's head is frozen in a secret chamber beneath Kidd Brewer.

apaladin
September 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I may be in the minority here, but this game doesn't affect my view on an FBS move either way. We went into Lane Stadium and got absolutely destroyed by a very good VT team. Was it a painful, discouraging game to watch? Absolutely, but it only goes in the loss column once, it has no effect on our season nor does it hinder the possibility of an FBS move. If you look back at the last 4 seasons, there are a lot of ACC teams (Miami, BC, NC State, Wake Forest, UVa and of course Duke) that have left Lane Stadium licking their wounds after a 4+ TD beating, so getting trounced in Blacksburg as an FCS squad is embarrassing but not unheard of. An FBS move would obviously not put ASU at the level of a program like VT but the additional scholarships and ability to attract higher quality athletes would even the playing field a bit, so I do not see a correlation between being blown out while in the FCS and the potential for success after a move to the FBS.

Getting beat by 4 tds is one thing but almost 9 tds is something else.

eagle07
September 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Did they lose by alot : YES
Fire Jerry Moore : NO its one bad loss
Forget move the FBS : NO again its one bad loss, if you had lost to a low level FBS by like 50 thats another story

asumike83
September 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Getting beat by 4 tds is one thing but almost 9 tds is something else.

Being a SoCon team and being an ACC team is something else too. My point is that VT will put a 30-point beating on a conference foe in Lane Stadium and those are BCS conference teams with equal resources and recruiting clout, so losing by 53 as an FCS team is not unheard of.

I make no excuses for the heartless ASU performance on Saturday and I am as ashamed as anybody, but it does not change the entire course of our athletic department.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Please post that exact post on the MMB. A lot people desparately need to read that. Badly.

asumike83
September 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Please post that exact post on the MMB. A lot people desparately need to read that. Badly.

I may have to do that... haven't been on MMB in a while. There are some really great folks on there but the conversations can tend to get dominated by a very vocal minority who seem to be able to kill a few of my brain cells with each keystroke.

phoenixphanatic21
September 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Ahh I love the knee jerk reactions that dominate sports today.

Seriously, one bad game shouldn't make you fire your coach.

Waco Kid
September 6th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Jerry doesn't deserve to get fired because of one very ugly game, but he does need to make some changes on his staff asap. The staff that won 3 National Titles is long gone, and the replacements don't seem to be up to the challenge. The fact that we lost isn't the issue here. The problem is how terrible we looked from start to finish in every aspect of the game. It's one thing to try your best and get beat, but to walk onto the field with no desire is a different story all together.

ASUG8
September 6th, 2011, 03:23 PM
The sky was falling in App nation when we went 0-2 vs. ECU and McNeese and we managed to somehow piece together a decent season.

StorminASU
September 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Jerry doesn't deserve to get fired because of one very ugly game, but he does need to make some changes on his staff asap. The staff that won 3 National Titles is long gone, and the replacements don't seem to be up to the challenge. The fact that we lost isn't the issue here. The problem is how terrible we looked from start to finish in every aspect of the game. It's one thing to try your best and get beat, but to walk onto the field with no desire is a different story all together.

Thank you, that is exactly what bothers me. Our complacency has been growing each season. Tackling, cornerbacks not turning around, showboating, etc have not been addressed and have been a constant complaint for 3-4 years. Our team increasingly lacks discipline and focus. They didn't even look coherent Saturday, much less prepared enough to take on the ACC champion. Our playcalling doesn't seem to take advantage of our personnel and this all points glaringly back to an inept coaching staff. I'm not saying JM should be fired, but he does need to stop his slow regression back to the Power I mentality.