PDA

View Full Version : If you are a poll voter and you vote in the poll each week....

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM
you will be eligible for some swag. I don't know exactly what it is yet or how many we will be giving away but it's a good group of pretty cool stuff in the $50-100 range.

Once I have this ironed out I'll fill in the blanks but wanted to you poll voters know so you have a chance to be in the game.

One thing I know for sure is that there will be one person that has done the most accurate job of voting throughout the season. That person will get something even cooler.xthumbsupx

andy7171
September 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
you will be eligible for some swag. I don't know exactly what it is yet or how many we will be giving away but it's a good group of pretty cool stuff in the $50-100 range.

Once I have this ironed out I'll fill in the blanks but wanted to you poll voters know so you have a chance to be in the game.

One thing I know for sure is that there will be one person that has done the most accurate job of voting throughout the season. That person will get something even cooler.xthumbsupx

Well then, **** me runnin'!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Well then, **** me runnin'!xlolx

You use it well my friend.

darell1976
September 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you UAH!!!!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
What do you mean by 'most accurate' what it comes to a poll submission? Is it the person whose submissions most closely line up with yours, the person whose submission lines up with the most other voters, the person who predicts the final standings earliest, or some other set of factors?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
What do you mean by 'most accurate' what it comes to a poll submission? Is it the person whose submissions most closely line up with yours, the person whose submission lines up with the most other voters, the person who predicts the final standings earliest, or some other set of factors?
Don't know right now for sure cuz I'm just coming up with it but I'm thinking of either taking all ot their weekly votes and making an overall ranking and then comparing it with the final or something like that.

The crux is simply that making your best effort is the strategy and setting aside any homer tendencies (I SAID HOMER!) that some may have.

Just trying to come up with a way to reward the guys that put some work into the thing. Let me know if you have suggestions, or can forsee problems that I should avoid.

Squealofthepig
September 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Probably the simplest would be to reward pure omniscience, and see how each person's preseason matches up to the final AGS poll. Then just do points based on how close they were - I'll drop you a private message with some details.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2011, 07:20 PM

One rule. I win.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Probably the simplest would be to reward pure omniscience, and see how each person's preseason matches up to the final AGS poll. Then just do points based on how close they were - I'll drop you a private message with some details.
Answered. Hope I wasn't to scattered with my concept.

Thanks much for jumping in though and we'll come up with something good on this.

ElonFirefighter
September 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM

What if im accurate and everyone else is wrong???

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
What if im accurate and everyone else is wrong???
It's gonna be compared to the final poll so it will be a fairly known commodity at taht point.

If you are wrong and you think you are right then I can't help ya with that.

It will be based on the final poll and that is as quantified as it can be.

dgtw
September 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
The prize goes to whoever reps him the most.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM
It's gonna be compared to the final poll so it will be a fairly known commodity at taht point.

If you are wrong and you think you are right then I can't help ya with that.

It will be based on the final poll and that is as quantified as it can be.

The only problem I see is that it encourages voting for who you think will be in the top at the end of the season instead of voting for who is at the top given what's been proven thus far. Then again, I don't have any better ideas.

HailSzczur
September 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The only problem I see is that it encourages voting for who you think will be in the top at the end of the season instead of voting for who is at the top given what's been proven thus far. Then again, I don't have any better ideas.

I was thinking the same thing myself. If say Delaware got off to a slow start and should be out of the Top 25 for a week or two, but you keep voting them at like 10 knowing that they will turn it around it benefits you. Only thing I could think of would be to compare weekly votes to various other polls or sagarin ratings maybe?

OhioHen
September 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Therefore, ANY poll that includes a team with a loss in week one should be ineligible for the accuracy prize. xtwocentsx

There are enough 1-0 teams to make up a top 25 without giving traditional powers "credit" for losing to an FBS (e.g. Delaware gets no love from me this week - a loss to Navy is worse than a win for Old Dominion against Campbell).

Pre-season polls mess up the voting process and I still believe that no poll should be started before week 3, when we actually see how teams perform on the field. Given the chance of "Any Given Saturday" results each week, three games is enough to get a read.

Grizzaholic
September 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM

I thought Cleets did your ironing?