PDA

View Full Version : MEAC-SWAC Challenge

Mr. C
September 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Bethune-Cookman is putting a world of hurt on Prairie View, leading 49-7 early in the third period. It was 42-7 at halftime.

You can read my blog on the game here:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?160-Bethune-Cookman-vs-Prarie-View-MEAC-SWAC-Challenge&bt=1707

Mr. C
September 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I would love to see some discussion on this topic, brought up in the blog:

Let me ask an obvious question to address the rather large, pink elephant in the room (and no, I haven't been drinking).

When you watch the performance of the MEAC teams against the SWAC is it becoming painfully obvious that the SWAC's non-participation in the NCAA playoffs is hurting the league?

If ever there was evidence as to why a MEAC-SWAC Legacy Bowl, matching league champions at the end of the season, would be a bad idea, it is the performance of the two teams in this game.

One of the major reasons that Henry Frazier left Prairie View after his remarkable rebuilding job is that Frazier was frustrated that the SWAC provided him with almost no shot at the NCAA playoffs.

At this point, you have to think that the difference between playoff access in the two conferences is making a major difference in recruiting.

nwFL Griz
September 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM
So is the point that is trying to be made that the SWAC's non-participation in the playoffs equal substandard recruiting? And thus why they routinely get blasted in OOC play.

I really don't know if that is the case. I'd like to think it is not, but my unfamiliarity with recruiting at HBCUs leaves me shrugging my shoulders.

AggieManiac704
September 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM
BCU is just clearly showing their signs as a dominant force in HBCU football.....whether or not they can defeat OOC competition has yet to be seen but as the season progresses, we'll soon find out.

Big Dawg
September 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I just think BCU is a much better team this year than they were last year...and that's scary

Mr. C
September 4th, 2011, 01:45 PM
It is my opinion that the SWAC seems to be falling further behind the MEAC in recruiting and on-the-field play. There has to be a reason why. Also, it is interesting to see successful coaches like Henry Frazier and Rod Broadway leaving SWAC schools like Prairie View and Grambling to go to rebuilding programs at North Carolina Central and North Carolina A&T.

Mr. C
September 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I just think BCU is a much better team this year than they were last year...and that's scary

Bethune came into the season worried about the QB situation, but there seems to be little problem there from what I've seen today. The Wildcats look like a top-25 team to me from this performance. I wasn't expecting the Cats to be this good this season this quick.

JMUNJ08
September 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Bethune came into the season worried about the QB situation, but there seems to be little problem there from what I've seen today. The Wildcats look like a top-25 team to me from this performance. I wasn't expecting the Cats to be this good this season this quick.

Going to definitely move up the poll this week. Yes, its a mid to top tier SWAC team but still looking impressive.

superman7515
September 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
They kicked Prairie View to sleep and were up 42-0. Bethune-Cookman's 3rd string has held PV to a 7-7 tie, haha.

813Jag
September 4th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Whippings like this can happen in any situation, has nothing to do with the MEAC going to the playoffs. AAMU lost to Hampton by 1 yesterday. Southern (with a bad team last year) has won the MEAC/SWAC Challenge both times they played in it.

BCU was MEAC Co-Champs. PV finished 3rd in the SWAC West. BCU is just the better team. Noone really knew what PVU would do this year, losing a good QB, good RB, and coach. They only returned 9 starters. All this doesn't excuse the whipping.

Big Dawg
September 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Let's not forget, BCU stacked their offense with I-A transfers

number1
September 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Let me ask an obvious question to address the rather large, pink elephant in the room (and no, I haven't been drinking).

When you watch the performance of the MEAC teams against the SWAC is it becoming painfully obvious that the SWAC's non-participation in the NCAA playoffs is hurting the league?

If ever there was evidence as to why a MEAC-SWAC Legacy Bowl, matching league champions at the end of the season, would be a bad idea, it is the performance of the two teams in this game.

One of the major reasons that Henry Frazier left Prairie View after his remarkable rebuilding job is that Frazier was frustrated that the SWAC provided him with almost no shot at the NCAA playoffs.

At this point, you have to think that the difference between playoff access in the two conferences is making a major difference in recruiting.

1. This wasn't a game matching champions because Texas Southern won the SWAC last season. Prairie View was far from winning the SWAC last season.

2. Southern won both of their games in this challenge, and despite never playing in a playoff game is 6-2 in their meetings in the past decade against the MEAC(both close losses to FAMU).

3. All of the prior challenges were closely contended, this was the first time where the game was actually a blowout.

4. Prairie View lost a lot from their highly successful teams, including their head coach. They had a ton of questions heading into this game.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
It's tough to make a statement that applies to an entire conference. From the evidence available it appears the MEAC is more competitive than the SWAC, but part of that is because the SWAC plays so few OOC FCS games.

As far as conference culture goes the divide between the SWAC and the MEAC goes beyond the playoff issue. The MEAC makes an effort to integrate into the greater FCS fold while the SWAC likes to play in its own little walled garden. Certain SWAC teams seem to have some success, at least monetarily, from this, and if it's what their fans want, it probably isn't anyone else's place to say it isn't right. The SWAC at this point in FCS only when it comes to the scholarship limits. They, like the Ivy League, would rather just do their own thing.

Because of that, I wonder if the issue of SWAC non-competitiveness even matters. As long as Southern vs Grambling can outdraw the FCS Championship and a number of bowl games they probably don't care if either team would get whooped by a MEAC, CAA, NEC, or Big Sky team that doesn't even make the playoffs. By measuring themselves only against each other they certainly diminish their competitiveness, but at the same time, they make OOC comparisons irrelevant.

superman7515
September 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
This is actually a point of contention on the MEAC boards. Many feel that until the MEAC starts to schedule more PWC's regulary in out of conference games, they will continue to struggle in the playoffs.

dgtw
September 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
What is a PWC?

DSUrocks07
September 4th, 2011, 11:31 PM
What is a PWC?

Predominantly White College or Institution

Its a counterpoint to the HBCU term...

number1
September 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
It's tough to make a statement that applies to an entire conference. From the evidence available it appears the MEAC is more competitive than the SWAC, but part of that is because the SWAC plays so few OOC FCS games.

As far as conference culture goes the divide between the SWAC and the MEAC goes beyond the playoff issue. The MEAC makes an effort to integrate into the greater FCS fold while the SWAC likes to play in its own little walled garden. Certain SWAC teams seem to have some success, at least monetarily, from this, and if it's what their fans want, it probably isn't anyone else's place to say it isn't right. The SWAC at this point in FCS only when it comes to the scholarship limits. They, like the Ivy League, would rather just do their own thing.

Because of that, I wonder if the issue of SWAC non-competitiveness even matters. As long as Southern vs Grambling can outdraw the FCS Championship and a number of bowl games they probably don't care if either team would get whooped by a MEAC, CAA, NEC, or Big Sky team that doesn't even make the playoffs. By measuring themselves only against each other they certainly diminish their competitiveness, but at the same time, they make OOC comparisons irrelevant.

I don't see this great divide because it appears everyone is just basing their thoughts on this one game between PV and Bethune-Cookman. What about the Alabama A&M and Hampton game? A 1-point decision. Just about all of the SWAC-MEAC Challenges have been closely contested. Bethune-Cookman just might be a great team while PV may be struggling this season. They did have to replace a lot.

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM
16046........HARD TA TELL...HOW GOOD BAFFOON-COOKIE-MAN IS....AS DUH PRARIE DAWGS....GAVE 'EM SO MANY GIMMIES......WHAT AH CAME AWAY WHIFF....WAS HOW DUH BANDS PLAYED CONSTANT-LEE....DURIN' ALOT UH PLAYS.........DAT'S UH PENALTY......BAH RULE...NO HORNS....&...BONGOS........AS PLAY RESUMES......IS DIS WAIVED IN DUH SWAC/MEAC.......PAR-TAY??????..............xconfusedx.........DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

Big Dawg
September 5th, 2011, 03:06 PM
16046........HARD TA TELL...HOW GOOD BAFFOON-COOKIE-MAN IS....AS DUH PRARIE DAWGS....GAVE 'EM SO MANY GIMMIES......WHAT AH CAME AWAY WHIFF....WAS HOW DUH BANDS PLAYED CONSTANT-LEE....DURIN' ALOT UH PLAYS.........DAT'S UH PENALTY......BAH RULE...NO HORNS....&...BONGOS........AS PLAY RESUMES......IS DIS WAIVED IN DUH SWAC/MEAC.......PAR-TAY??????..............xconfusedx.........DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

Actually SWAC bands get fines for playing during the game...and most times the refs will tell the bands to stop in the MEAC(FAMU's band received a warning on Saturday)...I think it was such a blowout that they stopped caring...LOL...however I know Bcu band does a decent job of reducing the volume during gameplay.

Humble Steward
September 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Game 1 Assessment: Last season, I stated several times that the Wildcats were building something special in Daytona Beach, FL. It's takes time to build a solid program and institute the type of program that translates to victories on the field. In his second season as head coach, Brian Jenkins has added more depth and talent at skilled key positions, which will give the Wildcats another opportunity to make a run at an undefeated season. The goal at B-CU is not to just win the MEAC, but to win a national championship. Clearly that means you have to be able to compete on all levels and win in the playoffs. One of the biggest improvements noticed in Game 1 was "Special Teams". If anyone followed us last season, you knew we struggled significantly in this area. Well that problem seems to be resolved along with any concerns at the QB position. The 1-A transfers will definitely help our team, but they are not the only reason why B-CU will be a much more improved team this year. A sound group of fundamental coaches along with players who believe they can win is the difference that I see in our team. It has been fun to watch this program continue to develop into a competitive team. No bragging on my part, but the Wildcats continued on defense where they left off in the turnover margin. The defense forced six turnovers in the game against Prairie View, which translates into easy points for our team. Once again, I expect a solid year from these group of young men. I wish everyone much success this season and truly expect our team to be in the hunt for another playoff berth.

mikebigg
September 7th, 2011, 05:12 AM

BCU has gone to the playoffs ONCE...last year and got drilled. I think your contention that the MEAC's participation in the playoffs has improved BCU is a bit of a reach. Just my opinion.

mikebigg
September 7th, 2011, 05:13 AM
It is my opinion that the SWAC seems to be falling further behind the MEAC in recruiting and on-the-field play. There has to be a reason why. Also, it is interesting to see successful coaches like Henry Frazier and Rod Broadway leaving SWAC schools like Prairie View and Grambling to go to rebuilding programs at North Carolina Central and North Carolina A&T.

Rod Broadway did not leave Grambling because of the playoff issue!

813Jag
September 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Rod Broadway did not leave Grambling because of the playoff issue!
Didn't he leave due to family situations?

WileECoyote06
September 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM
BCU has gone to the playoffs ONCE...last year and got drilled. I think your contention that the MEAC's participation in the playoffs has improved BCU is a bit of a reach. Just my opinion.

BCU has played in the playoffs more than once; they played Florida Atlantic a few years ago.

WileECoyote06
September 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Didn't he leave due to family situations?

The rumors are not pretty. Of course I can't substantiate them, but if what was said is true; I don't blame him for leaving.

superman7515
September 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM
The rumors are not pretty. Of course I can't substantiate them, but if what was said is true; I don't blame him for leaving.

Just call it like it is. The word on the street was that he wasn't winning enough at Grambling for the alums (35-14 & 1 SWAC Championship in 4 seasons) and the alumni & fans were calling his house making threats on his family, talking garbage about his deceased wife, and more. True or not, none of us can say, but that came out before he even left.

GOODY26
September 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
BCC came to play football. PVU didn't know what hit them in the first half and couldn't recover from that.

xdizzyx

DEX
September 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
BCU has played in the playoffs more than once; they played Florida Atlantic a few years ago.

Broadway said he left to be closer to family.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Still think it is a shame that ALL FCS conferences don't participate in the Play-offs.

WileECoyote06
September 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Broadway said he left to be closer to family.

Of course. .*wink* *wink*

Big Dawg
September 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Actually they played Florida Atlantic in the playoffs back in 2002 or 2003 and almost beat them...I think the score was 32-24

kdinva
September 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Bethune-Cookman is putting a world of hurt on Prairie View, leading 49-7 early in the third period. It was 42-7 at halftime.

.........it's good that Bethune got to play a lot of folks in the 2nd half, as they prepare, week by week, for a post season run.