Western got smacked
Chatty got beat (expectantly)

Elon is playing well against Vandy
Citadel won against a bunch of non-schollys
GSU throttled Samford so far

I hope we just stumbled out the gate? discuss

chattanoogamocs
September 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hopefully the beat down the Citadel gave to JU will quiet down the "Dolphins should be ranked and in the playoffs" talk

CID1990
September 3rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I watched the El Cid - JU game. I definitely do not think that JU is a playoff team. However, it is really hard to tell for sure. They are certainly better than they were last year (essentially the same team). Our defense is better than last year, which is going to put them for sure in the top half of the SoCon and maybe in the top 3.

Based on what I saw today, I'd put JU at about middle of the pack in the SoCon, but certainly not playoff caliber. That said, they are much better than would be expected from a PL team. I expect them to beat CSU.

Also, based on what I saw today I expect us to win 4 SoCon games this year, so somebody's feelings are going to get hurt. Might be Furman next week.

ElonPride
September 3rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Elon WAS playing well against Vandy... 'till the 4th quarter.

Elon offense looks like it will be good as they out gained Vandy. Stupid TOs kept the game out of reach.

eagle07
September 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Most surprised by the Woffy/PC score, what was the story there Youngterrier? PC offense good or did your D just have a bad day?

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Most surprised by the Woffy/PC score, what was the story there Youngterrier? PC offense good or did your D just have a bad day?

horrible officiating. that sounds cheesy and whiney and I've been somewhat politically correct the last couple hours, but after watching the highlights it's pretty sad how slanted the officiating was. They called a helmet to helmet personal foul on a hit in which a player didn't even use his helmet to make the hit, and he didn't make contact with the other players helmet. There were lots of questionable flags thrown at Wofford and a lot of questionable no-calls on PC. I could seriously make a list of the questionable calls on Wofford because there's at least 3 or 4. It was one of the most frustrating games I've had to sit through. Our defense eventually got tired, and backed down a little bit so we wouldn't get called for penalties. Our DC spent a good part of the second half yelling at the refs. I'm not worried about us, we'll be fine, our upside is wayyyyyy up. We'll see how good we really are after Samford.

blueballs
September 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Thoughts and first impressions from the sty:

Very surprised by Wofford's relatively poor showing... Appy didn't even compete, pitiful, pathetic, and if I were an Appy (thank God I'm not) I'd be crapping my overalls right about now.... Furman lost AGAIN in the fourth quarter, just like last year... Jacksonville is SOOOOOO overrated but kudos to the bellhops for taking care of business.... Chatty actually played Nebraska closer than I though they would, as did Elon against Vandy... GSU fumbled and dropped their way into a competitive game that could have easily been a 5 TD win without the fumbles and drops.

I will say one thing though and this shows why stats are useless: I watched pretty much the whole Samford/GSU game and I don't think I've ever seen a defensive player who only had two tackles completely dominate a game the way Brent Russell did last night. When Sammy tried to run (avg rush under 2 ypc) there was just a pile in the middle at the point of attack between Russell and the C/G and nowhere really to go and when Sammy passed the QB was continually flushed out of the pocket to his right and throwing on the run while being chased by Russell. The guy is an animal.

ElonPride
September 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Thomas Wilson looks better in the pocket than Riddle. I guess having the ability to run could help you stand a little taller.

I was fairly impressed with this Elon team through 3 quarters. Even though TOs really kept this game from being closer, they just seemed to run out of steam and enthusiasm in the 4th on defense. The D itself is pretty quick and sticks to the assignments well. I'm interested to see how the rest of the season pans out.

The jury is still out on Swepson. If the first three quarters are any indication, he's doing a pretty darn good coaching job.

As far as App goes(no smack), I was able to watch most of the game until Fox Richmond decided to take network early in the 4th quarter. Even though they were playing #13 VT, the D looked very slow and was easily picked apart. Looks like they have quite the adjustments cut out for them. The O did look better once Presley was out of the game, but that was against VT 3's. I'm sure the rest of the season will be different once they're playing against level competition, but this was a total mismatch. Definitely not the outcome they wanted it they needed to impress any conferences for an invite. This may have been the poorest FCS v FBS showing on opening weekend.

Baldy
September 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Very surprised by Wofford's relatively poor showing... Appy didn't even compete, pitiful, pathetic, and if I were an Appy (thank God I'm not) I'd be crapping my overalls right about now.... Furman lost AGAIN in the fourth quarter, just like last year... Jacksonville is SOOOOOO overrated but kudos to the bellhops for taking care of business.... Chatty actually played Nebraska closer than I though they would, as did Elon against Vandy... GSU fumbled and dropped their way into a competitive game that could have easily been a 5 TD win without the fumbles and drops.

I will say one thing though and this shows why stats are useless: I watched pretty much the whole Samford/GSU game and I don't think I've ever seen a defensive player who only had two tackles completely dominate a game the way Brent Russell did last night. When Sammy tried to run (avg rush under 2 ypc) there was just a pile in the middle at the point of attack between Russell and the C/G and nowhere really to go and when Sammy passed the QB was continually flushed out of the pocket to his right and throwing on the run while being chased by Russell. The guy is an animal.

fumbles, drops, and oh Lord all those missed tackles.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM

First it's App not Appy and ECU lost to Navy last year when Navy hung 76 on them.

SpeedkingATL
September 4th, 2011, 09:06 AM
App got waxed by VaTech, not a big surprise but much was self inflicted with turnovers, blocked punt, ect. Will not see that kind of speed again this year.
Elon looked pretty good against Vandy, especially the passing game. Much better performance than the score would indicate.
Western beatdown by GT expected but at least they showed some offense and special teams.
Wofford's close call to PC a big surprise.
Citadel's domination of Jax a plesant surprise. Looked like a strong defensive effort.
GaSo outcome over Sammy about as expected but Sammy played them tough for 3 quarters.
Furman has to be disapointed at losing to Coastal.
Didn't see the UTC game but they appeared to compete well for a half.

Can't take too much from losses to VaTech, GaTech, Vandy and Nebraska except a nice paycheck at the end of the day.

Not the best start for SoCon but I expect it to get better. App can't play much worse and this game didn't answer the questions on the 3-4 or the O-line....just magnified those questions.

JRCA
September 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM
SoCn48,

I am not a trash talker at all, but if the Appy thing upsets some of the ASU fans, maybe they could stop the Eloan junk. It is a two way street, my friend. Some ASU fans are very classy in their post and I have a good deal of respect for them. Then there are those that will do anything to be disrespectful to Elon, the SoCon (all the smallCon stuff) and some are disrespectful FCS in general.

Yes, I am aware that there are some fans of every school that do this stuff, including some Elon fans; I say the same thing to them. If you don't want to see Eloan, then don't say Appy. For gosh sake, you better say THE Citidel or Citdog will get ya (also, be careful when you talk about our beloved South, sweet tea or biscuits and gravy...Citdog takes no prisoners!)

Here's hoping next week is a better showing for the Sothern Conference.

Baldy
September 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
App got waxed by VaTech, not a big surprise but much was self inflicted with turnovers, blocked punt, ect. Will not see that kind of speed again this year.
Elon looked pretty good against Vandy, especially the passing game. Much better performance than the score would indicate.
Western beatdown by GT expected but at least they showed some offense and special teams.
Wofford's close call to PC a big surprise.
Citadel's domination of Jax a plesant surprise. Looked like a strong defensive effort.
GaSo outcome over Sammy about as expected but Sammy played them tough for 3 quarters.
Furman has to be disapointed at losing to Coastal.
Didn't see the UTC game but they appeared to compete well for a half.

Can't take too much from losses to VaTech, GaTech, Vandy and Nebraska except a nice paycheck at the end of the day.

Not the best start for SoCon but I expect it to get better. App can't play much worse and this game didn't answer the questions on the 3-4 or the O-line....just magnified those questions.

It was about as I expected too, but after the first half of uninspired ball it was all GSU. The only reason it was a close to respectful score was because Samford scored a garbage time TD in the 4th with less than a minute to play.

Smitty
September 4th, 2011, 10:14 AM
It was refreshing to see our offense actually work. While we still have a lot we need to do to be competitive, we were able to convert third downs (44% compared to last seasons 30%)

blueballs
September 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It was about as I expected too, but after the first half of uninspired ball it was all GSU. The only reason it was a close to respectful score was because Samford scored a garbage time TD against the second team defense after the second team offense fumbled on the GSU 25 in the 4th with less than a minute to play.

FIFY

dgtw
September 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hopefully the beat down the Citadel gave to JU will quiet down the "Dolphins should be ranked and in the playoffs" talk

Every conference should have an autobid.

ElonPride
September 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
It was refreshing to see our offense actually work. While we still have a lot we need to do to be competitive, we were able to convert third downs (44% compared to last seasons 30%)

Your offense looks like they will be pretty good. The defense on the other hand.....

Good luck the rest of the season. If the defense turns the corner, WCU may surprise a few folks this year.

OL FU
September 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Had to listen to the radio but....

With the exception that the defense played with intensity, lots of blitzes, etc, the first half of Furman's game was much like most of last year. The offense had trouble getting first downs and the defense stayed on the field too long. Near the end of the first half Forcier and the O seemed to get their groove with a good mixture of passes and runs that lasted into the third quarter and FU looked like it might actually dominate the second half. Then Forcier went out with dehydration and the fourth quarter looked like the first quarter. Defense made quite a few good stops but eventually ran out of steam since they were on the field way too long.

So the question is will Furman find the mojo and play like they did during the third quarter of the game. If so things could turn around and it be a very good season. Otherwise, we could be looking at a very poor record. As with everyone else, we should know more next week.

BTW, the game with the Citadel should not be the second game of the year and for that reason Taaffe sucks.:D

apaladin
September 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I watched the El Cid - JU game. I definitely do not think that JU is a playoff team. However, it is really hard to tell for sure. They are certainly better than they were last year (essentially the same team). Our defense is better than last year, which is going to put them for sure in the top half of the SoCon and maybe in the top 3.

Based on what I saw today, I'd put JU at about middle of the pack in the SoCon, but certainly not playoff caliber. That said, they are much better than would be expected from a PL team. I expect them to beat CSU.

Also, based on what I saw today I expect us to win 4 SoCon games this year, so somebody's feelings are going to get hurt. Might be Furman next week.

So you are saying a non-scholly team is better than half of the SoCon? So if you beat the equivalent of a middle of the pack SoCon team by 3 td's are you saying The Citadel is top dog in the SoCon? Looks like the Bulldogs are in for a heckuva year! Since FU is middle of the pack at best in the SoCon I guess you guys will be a 3 TD favorite next week!

PaladinNation
September 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Agree with OL FU… once the coaches took the gloves Of Forcier he came a live and so did the offense… Furman's defense was on the field a ton. 81 plays.

Credit a very balanced CCU team they played hard, got some breaks. And the one turnover in the game cost Furman.

IMO this is no indication that Furman will be down more than expected. Yes, this is a rebuild, at least until Bruce gets his players mainly on defense (Furman needs more beef in the DT position… but Furman will play the spoiler with APP, Wofford, and Elon all coming to Paladin Stadium.

OL FU
September 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
So you are saying a non-scholly team is better than half of the SoCon? So if you beat the equivalent of a middle of the pack SoCon team by 3 td's are you saying The Citadel is top dog in the SoCon? Looks like the Bulldogs are in for a heckuva year! Since FU is middle of the pack at best in the SoCon I guess you guys will be a 3 TD favorite next week!

I was tryiing to respond to CID1990 (for whom, by the way, I have lots of respect) but I think you summed it up nicely. I would in no way go out on a limb and predict a FU victory next week. We struggle in Charleston. But I think Jacksonville would be near the bottom of the Socon which means that the Citadel might surprise folks and be middle of the pack this year. We should know more next week but even that game will not really show either program where they are in relation to the top SoCon teams.

PhoenixMan
September 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Elon played very well at times, but it was mediocre for a lot of the game. Mellette was awesome, but the turnover and penalties are a big concern. The biggest concern to me was that they had the wrong personnel on the field for special teams several times which resulted in using timeouts or penalities. These things can be corrected easily, but was it first game (against an SEC team) nerves....or lack of preparation by the new head coach? Overall, I liked the effort, and I think Coach Swepson will do well moving forward.

Thumper 76
September 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Fairly sure he meant el cid will be mid to top third of the socon not what you took it as champ xthumbsupx

CID1990
September 5th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I said that out defense will be in the top third of the SoCon. JU is a Pioneer team and therefore not going to be shooting out the lights against scholly teams. However, they do have a very good spread offense, mostly seniors, their QB is a Payton candidate (won't win it, of course), and at the end of the day their weakness is their defense. This same team with pretty much the same players got whacked by App last year, but they were able to put up better numbers offensively than they did Saturday (albeit not by much).

I'l qualify my statement by saying that I think JU's offense would be in the middle of the pack in the SoCon. Their defense would drop them into the bottom 3 overall. BUT, they would likely win a game, maybe two.

Again, I think we are good for 4 SoCon wins. We'll know after Saturday if Furman is going to be one of them. (I'm not sure how me saying I think we are good for 4 SoCon wins implies that we are going to be at the top of the SoCon)

OL FU
September 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I said that out defense will be in the top third of the SoCon. JU is a Pioneer team and therefore not going to be shooting out the lights against scholly teams. However, they do have a very good spread offense, mostly seniors, their QB is a Payton candidate (won't win it, of course), and at the end of the day their weakness is their defense. This same team with pretty much the same players got whacked by App last year, but they were able to put up better numbers offensively than they did Saturday (albeit not by much).

I'l qualify my statement by saying that I think JU's offense would be in the middle of the pack in the SoCon. Their defense would drop them into the bottom 3 overall. BUT, they would likely win a game, maybe two.

Again, I think we are good for 4 SoCon wins. We'll know after Saturday if Furman is going to be one of them. (I'm not sure how me saying I think we are good for 4 SoCon wins implies that we are going to be at the top of the SoCon)

If I hinted that you were saying the top I apologize. I think I did say that based on one game which is difficult to do, I would think this win puts you squarely in the middle of the SoCon which 4 wins would be about right. On the other hand, I don't know how much faith we can put in one game. From Furman's standpoint, I hope not much:o Also, If they first game means alot, Wofford is gonna suck this year (for some reason, I don't think soxrotatehx).

On the other hand, I think. while still optimistic, saturday has brought a lot of us FUers back to reality. I predicted a 7-4 season for Furman but it was predicated on beating CCU which I really didn't have a lot of confidence in doing. (So my prediction was more than a little homerish) I do think we can get a lot better as the season progresses but from saturday it is obvious that injuries in key places would probably knock us down even further.

Looking forward to the game. I certainly expect The Citadel to be better than last year and at this point in the season, we look about the same.

BTW, since it is that time of year, let me be the first of many to say. The Citadel Sucks:D

blueballs
September 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM
The only real surprises from the SoCon this past week were:

a) Wofford struggled against Presby... really Terriers??? Really???
b) App laid down against VT... I really thought App had more moxie than that, very disappointing.

Elon playing Vandy close was a good harbinger for them. Furman losing a close game in the fourth quarter is same song different verse based on last year. ElCid beating Jacksonville was expected- BTW, can we cease ALL talk of JU being ranked EVER??? Chatty/Neb went exactly as expected. GSU did what they were expected to do although they stunk up the entire city of Birmingham (which already stinks) for 30 minutes. WCU is... well... WCU. 'Nuff said.

OL FU
September 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I don't think the VT ASU games was that much of a surprise. I think it was a surprise that ASU didn't show up at all. But all it takes is a little review of past games to know that if the the best of the FBS shows up for the game, clock cleaning is typical. Michigan was the anomaly, not the norm.

blueballs
September 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I don't think the VT ASU games was that much of a surprise. I think it was a surprise that ASU didn't show up at all. But all it takes is a little review of past games to know that if the the best of the FBS shows up for the game, clock cleaning is typical. Michigan was the anomaly, not the norm.

And this VT team was better than that Michigan team while this App team is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than the 2007 App bunch. No way an Armanti Edwards led team loses by 53, he was too much of a gamer and winner to let that happen.

Skjellyfetti
September 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Exactly.

I was disappointed by the Virginia Tech score... I was hoping we competed for a couple of quarters before they pulled away. But, the difference between our level and the top tier level of FBS is just that great.

I hope all those dogging App's performance against Virginia Tech remember that Florida whooped us just as bad last year. They were up 35-0 and could have beaten us by as much (or more) than Virginia Tech if they wanted to. And that was a SoCon championship team. Final scores in games like this are simply a reflection of when the other team decides to call off the dogs.

Skjellyfetti
September 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM
No way an Armanti Edwards led team loses by 53, he was too much of a gamer and winner to let that happen.

LSU could have beaten an Armanti Edwards led team by 53 if they wanted to. It was 31-0 at halftime against them in 2008.

We got whooped just as bad in that game. They simply called off the dogs earlier. LSU mass subbed at halftime and only scored 10 points in the second half. Virginia Tech waited much longer to mass sub and scored 28 in the second half.

We got whooped just as badly in both games. The difference is simply when the other team decides to call off the dogs.

OL FU
September 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
And this VT team was better than that Michigan team while this App team is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than the 2007 App bunch. No way an Armanti Edwards led team loses by 53, he was too much of a gamer and winner to let that happen.

there are lots of reasons these games are sometimes close. I don't disagree that the 2007 ASU team is more than likely better than this year. But anyone who thinks that a legitimate top 25 FBS team playing its best isn't going to whoop a top 25 FCS team is missing the difference between the two entirely. That doesn't mean that occassionally the games aren't going to be close. See JMU last year against Va Tech. But no offense intended to JMU, but I don't think for a minute they saw the best of Va Tech last year. We should be happy when the games are close and we occassionally win, but let's not act surprised when we get thrashed.

dgtw
September 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
VPI also played Boise on Monday night in Washington DC the week before. That played a role in JMU's upset.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I agree with YT. The SoCon doesn't look very good in week 1.

IMO App. State will struggle on defense this year, and I don't want to hear excuses about VT keeping the first team in the game for that long. Nebraska had the first team in the game against Chatty until some time into the fourth quarter. Why didn't they get beat by 50+?

Elon is a disappointment. Didn't expect them to win but didn't expect them to get obliterated like they did.

I knew there was a chance Furman would lose, but I didn't think they'd give up so many points.

Don't know what happened with Wofford, but that was definitely a shocker. Did they fall asleep in the second half?

GSU doesn't look real great despite winning. The offense now looks like a hybrid between the "classic" GSU option and Wofford's offense. Expect the offense to be very inconsistant and make a lot of mistakes.

Samford played hard, but IMO doesn't look like they'll really surprise anyone this year.

The only team that clearly overachieved was The Citadel. Pioneer team or not, JU is well-coached and beating them like that is nothing to scoff at. Furman, you are on upset alert this week in Charleston.

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think Wofford should be just fine....We played poorly, but mainly we were inconsistent. I'm holding out on evaluating any team until about the 3rd or 4th game of the season. I think the Socon performed extremely poorly but really we'll still be a top 2 or 3 conference. The Big South may be a smidge better than they have been in years past, PC will be better (good for 4 or 5 wins I think) and Coastal could make the playoffs.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
At the end of the day, there's a lot of learning done in the first week of the season.

I'm bummed Furman lost, but hey, you open up with a playoff team on the road with a brand new coaching staff. Winning would have been great, but a loss in the last minute isn't a head scratcher either. I imagine Coach Fowler will tweak whats wrong and get back on track for the Citadel.

I-16Bandit
September 6th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I'm holding out on evaluating any team until about the 3rd or 4th game of the season.

If you hold off until after the 4th week, Georgia Southern would have only played Samford, Tusculum (DII), and Western. That scares me. Our schedule is incredibly weak (bye week between Tusulum and Western game), and we won't play a serious conference game until the 5th week or so, at Elon (no offense Western).

seantaylor
September 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM
If you hold off until after the 4th week, Georgia Southern would have only played Samford, Tusculum (DII), and Western. That scares me. Our schedule is incredibly weak (bye week between Tusulum and Western game), and we won't play a serious conference game until the 5th week or so, at Elon (no offense Western).

Sammy Baker for ya.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 07:50 AM
there are lots of reasons these games are sometimes close. I don't disagree that the 2007 ASU team is more than likely better than this year. But anyone who thinks that a legitimate top 25 FBS team playing its best isn't going to whoop a top 25 FCS team is missing the difference between the two entirely. That doesn't mean that occassionally the games aren't going to be close. See JMU last year against Va Tech. But no offense intended to JMU, but I don't think for a minute they saw the best of Va Tech last year. We should be happy when the games are close and we occassionally win, but let's not act surprised when we get thrashed.

Spot on!

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I think Wofford should be just fine....We played poorly, but mainly we were inconsistent. I'm holding out on evaluating any team until about the 3rd or 4th game of the season. I think the Socon performed extremely poorly but really we'll still be a top 2 or 3 conference. The Big South may be a smidge better than they have been in years past, PC will be better (good for 4 or 5 wins I think) and Coastal could make the playoffs.

I believe in the NE bias. :)

SoCon48
September 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM

I love your avatar. Took me a few seconds to get it, though.

Reign of Terrier
September 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM

I understand, but you get my point. Basically you can't judge a team or a conference after one week. You could still evaluate your strengths and weaknesses by playing lesser teams though. I'm holding out on Wofford's evaluation until after the Samford game

fc97
September 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Elon is a disappointment. Didn't expect them to win but didn't expect them to get obliterated like they did.

Elon disappointed? We out gained Vandy, had more first downs, and owned time of possession by ten minutes being down by 4 going into the 4th quarter. 3 turnovers lead to 3 instant touchdowns. We lost? Obliterated? Please!

Appalachian was obliterated.

SpeedkingATL
September 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Elon disappointed? We out gained Vandy, had more first downs, and owned time of possession by ten minutes being down by 4 going into the 4th quarter. 3 turnovers lead to 3 instant touchdowns. We lost? Obliterated? Please!

Appalachian was obliterated.

Elon actually looked darn good most of the game...just the stupid mistakes and turnovers. The score was not indicititive of how well Elon played. Same thing with JMU against UNC for the first 3 quarters. Didn't see any of the UTC/Nebraska game.

fc97
September 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM
We weren't stellar but we did show well considering new coaching staff, new quarterback, new line, new conditioning, underclassmen receivers, in 100 degree heat on the field with a shortage of reserves compared to the SEC team we played with their new coaching staff. We lost but we were not dominated. We should be better than everyone thought.

PaladinNation
September 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
On the good side, at least for Furman. We now have a quarterback, Chris Forcier only played into the mid third quarter before cramps… but he was in a groove that CCU didn't have an answer for. And we have a running back Jerodis Willimas had a helluva game… could be the SoCon's most underrated running back.

http://youtu.be/TDuCYhwqFvs

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
On the good side, at least for Furman. We now have a quarterback, Chris Forcier only played into the mid third quarter before cramps… but he was in a groove that CCU didn't have an answer for. And we have a running back Jerodis Willimas had a helluva game… could be the SoCon's most underrated running back.

http://youtu.be/TDuCYhwqFvs

Jerry Williams has everything you want in a feature back. He's got power, acceleration, and can make guys miss. Forcier has all the potential in the world, we just need to keep him on the field.

One takeaway is that the Coastal defense is no slouch. They have got a pretty solid defensive unit down there. They probably aren't the best defense we'll see, but they are by far not the worst.

PaladinNation
September 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Jerry Williams has everything you want in a feature back. He's got power, acceleration, and can make guys miss. Forcier has all the potential in the world, we just need to keep him on the field.

One takeaway is that the Coastal defense is no slouch. They have got a pretty solid defensive unit down there. They probably aren't the best defense we'll see, but they are by far not the worst.

Great point… and I'll add I think I can say with confidence Forcier will be the fastest QB The Citadel or anyone in the SoCon will face this season. And at 6-3, 215 that's a big fella running 4.4. Most folks were very high on the Coastal D and didn't expect Furman to put up big offensive numbers… Furman basically lost the 4th quarter… Derrick did very little, maybe one first down.

eaglemachine
September 6th, 2011, 02:07 PM
"and I'll add I think I can say with confidence Forcier will be the fastest QB The Citadel or anyone in the SoCon will face this season. "

see GSU's McKinnon

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Great point… and I'll add I think I can say with confidence Forcier will be the fastest QB The Citadel or anyone in the SoCon will face this season. And at 6-3, 215 that's a big fella running 4.4. Most folks were very high on the Coastal D and didn't expect Furman to put up big offensive numbers… Furman basically lost the 4th quarter… Derrick did very little, maybe one first down.

Forcier has shown great ability to separate from defenders. He's got that Ingle Martin-esque ability to roll out and hit the acceleration button. Forcier just needs to (A) stay on the field, and (B) force teams to respect his ability to pass the football.

PaladinNation
September 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I've attached Forcier's run that was called back… at the 2:54 mark.

I admit I know nothing about Jerick McKinnon, he may be faster but Forcier is the starter not #2. And he's not 5-9, he's 6-3. Just sayin'

http://youtu.be/U6_mPFwkZFA?t=2m54s

Skjellyfetti
September 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM

DeAndre Presley is the fastest QB in the SoCon.

Nfldraftscout.com has DeAndre at 4.38
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103365&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR
They have Chris Forcier at 4.56
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69907&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB

SideLine Shooter
September 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
DeAndre Presley is the fastest QB in the SoCon.

Nfldraftscout.com has DeAndre at 4.38
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103365&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR
They have Chris Forcier at 4.56
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69907&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB

xoutofrepx

alvinkayak6
September 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If Presley runs a sub 4.4, he'll be playing professionally SOMEWHERE. All in all, a poor weak for the conference. Elon was respectable, but also against the worst team in the SEC.

Citadel beat JU by more than App beat JU recently, but who cares. The conference is definitely down, or at least off to a stumble out of the blocks. Big Sky was terrific. Patriot League is rising. Ivy is still getting ready for finals.

Skjellyfetti
September 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
If Presley runs a sub 4.4, he'll be playing professionally SOMEWHERE.

Not necessarily. Ask Jayson Foster.

Eaglesrus
September 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Not necessarily. Ask Jayson Foster.

Actually, Jayson is playing professionally, not in the NFL, however.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Citadel beat JU by more than App beat JU recently, but who cares.

You sure about that?

http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=104460&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&Q_SEASON=2010

seantaylor
September 7th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I've attached Forcier's run that was called back… at the 2:54 mark.

I admit I know nothing about Jerick McKinnon, he may be faster but Forcier is the starter not #2. And he's not 5-9, he's 6-3. Just sayin'

http://youtu.be/U6_mPFwkZFA?t=2m54s

McKinnon is faster, quicker, and much stronger than Foricer. He may be #2 now, but he is basically a starter at the jack of all trades position. And it is not out of the question that he will be the starter at QB this season.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
McKinnon is faster, quicker, and much stronger than Foricer. He may be #2 now, but he is basically a starter at the jack of all trades position. And it is not out of the question that he will be the starter at QB this season.

I believe the statement made by Paladinnation was the fastest quarterback they will "see this season." If we were having a discussion about the fastest quarterback your team won't see this season, then McKinnon comes into the conversation.

appfan2008
September 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Very poor showing by the socon IMO... hope for better this week...

alvinkayak6
September 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by alvinkayak6 View Post

Citadel beat JU by more than App beat JU recently, but who cares.
You sure about that?

http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbm...&Q_SEASON=2010

It depends on what you mean by "beat by more". Citadel outscored JU by a ratio of 31:9, while App State only outscored JU by a ratio of 45:14 (3.44:1 vs. 3.22:1).

;)

Don't you love lawyers?

ASUMountaineer
September 7th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Thomas Wilson looks better in the pocket than Riddle. I guess having the ability to run could help you stand a little taller.

I was fairly impressed with this Elon team through 3 quarters. Even though TOs really kept this game from being closer, they just seemed to run out of steam and enthusiasm in the 4th on defense. The D itself is pretty quick and sticks to the assignments well. I'm interested to see how the rest of the season pans out.

The jury is still out on Swepson. If the first three quarters are any indication, he's doing a pretty darn good coaching job.

As far as App goes(no smack), I was able to watch most of the game until Fox Richmond decided to take network early in the 4th quarter. Even though they were playing #13 VT, the D looked very slow and was easily picked apart. Looks like they have quite the adjustments cut out for them. The O did look better once Presley was out of the game, but that was against VT 3's. I'm sure the rest of the season will be different once they're playing against level competition, but this was a total mismatch. Definitely not the outcome they wanted it they needed to impress any conferences for an invite. This may have been the poorest FCS v FBS showing on opening weekend.

I think that title should remain in Virginia, but go to William and Mary (#3) getting spanked by Virginia.

ElonPride
September 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I think that title should remain in Virginia, but go to William and Mary (#3) getting spanked by Virginia.

Actually I should have retracted that comment. After looking at scores, I think it goes to Chas Southern or Austin Peay. UCF spanked CSU 62-0 and Austin Peay was whipped 72-10......

asumike83
September 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Actually I should have retracted that comment. After looking at scores, I think it goes to Chas Southern or Austin Peay. UCF spanked CSU 62-0 and Austin Peay was whipped 72-10......

They both got beaten by more but based on the expectations of the FCS teams involved, I'm not sure that the results were worse. I know that UCF and Cincinnati are no VPI, but I expected a whole lot more out of ASU.

I do agree that the #3 ranked FCS team putting up 3 points and getting whipped by a UVA team coming off a 4-win season is probably worse than what happened to us, considering that the last game played by UVA was a 30-point beating in Lane Stadium.

Definitely not the outcome they wanted it they needed to impress any conferences for an invite.

Definitely was not the outcome wanted to impress a conference but honestly, a potential conference would probably be more concerned with the number of ASU fans that traveled to Blacksburg than the final score. All a conference wants is dollar signs and there were a lot of ASU folks at Lane Stadium last weekend.

PaladinNation
September 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I believe the statement made by Paladinnation was the fastest quarterback they will "see this season." If we were having a discussion about the fastest quarterback your team won't see this season, then McKinnon comes into the conversation.

Thanks, that was my point… starting QB. I know for some to give another team's player any credit is difficult. FYI… Forcier and Mims ran a dead heat 40 last season… I'm pretty sure it was sub 4.4.

I'll be the first to admit Forcier has to stay healthy and play a full game, if he does you'll get to see for yourself if he's fast.

GaSouthern
September 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Minus the clemson game, look for the SoCon to be undefeated this week.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks, that was my point… starting QB. I know for some to give another team's player any credit is difficult. FYI… Forcier and Mims ran a dead heat 40 last season… I'm pretty sure it was sub 4.4.

I'll be the first to admit Forcier has to stay healthy and play a full game, if he does you'll get to see for yourself if he's fast.

Even in limited playing time Forcier has reeled off some impressive runs. Whatever his numbers are, he's a guy that has the ability to run past a defense. That's good enough for me.

eaglemachine
September 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM

UVA must have been running the Triple Option. ZING!

OL FU
September 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Minus the clemson game, look for the SoCon to be undefeated this week.

the Citadel is going to losexnodx

CID1990
September 8th, 2011, 01:08 AM
the Citadel is going to losexnodx

Either way, GaSouthern's wrong.

Oh, and taken from the GSU fan site....

http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?14647-Furman-Recruiting-Video

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Either way, GaSouthern's wrong.

Well I thought it was obvious I was talking OOC especially based on the name of this thread.

OL FU
September 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Well I thought it was obvious I was talking OOC especially based on the name of this thread.
Cid and I were just using your post to take cheap shots at each other.

blueballs
September 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Oh, and taken from the GSU fan site....

http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?14647-Furman-Recruiting-Video

Video journalism at its height... that video deserves a sticky thread of its own.

CID1990
September 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Video journalism at its height... that video deserves a sticky thread of its own.

Yes, it does.

Amazing that such creativity could come out of Statesboro.

OL FU
September 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well I just heard from citdog. Been waiting on that annual phone call tradition all week. Dude left such a long and vicious foul mouthed message on my voice mail he ran the battery down :)

Hey dog, if you are out there. FU xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
just left my annual "furman sucks and you are a furple bundle of sticks" voicemail on olfu"s phone. lookout socon THE Citadel appears to have mastered snapping the ball. Yahweh please have mercy on the baptist scum for our battle cry on saturday is "no quarter with furple ******s".

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Well I just heard from citdog. Been waiting on that annual phone call tradition all week. Dude left such a long and vicious foul mouthed message on my voice mail he ran the battery down :)

Hey dog, if you are out there. FU xsmiley_wix

I must spread reputation around :(

OL FU
September 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
. lookout socon THE Citadel appears to have mastered snapping the ball. ".

Next up. Placing the left foot in front of the right foot .