View Full Version : Pepsi donates $12M to Sac State

Green Cookie Monster
April 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
University secures $25 million for Recreation Center, arena projects
$12 million contract with Pepsi Co. announced
Gamaliel Ortiz
State Hornet

April 06, 2006

Sacramento State has reached its goal of raising more than $25 million to begin the first phase of the Recreation, Wellness, and Events Center and Sports Complex, the university announced on Thursday.
The cost of the entire project is estimated around $120 million, which includes a new fieldhouse along with the Recreation and Wellness Center and a separate 6,000 to 8,000-seat arena.

Nearly 5,000 students, 55.2 percent, voted for a $110 a semester fee increase to kick in after campus president Alexander Gonzalez raised $25 million.

The arena, which was initially a part of the recreation center along with renovations to the stadium, will be put on hold until the university can secure more funding.

The funding for the massive project has come from various sources including $10 million from Alex G. Spanos, $2 million from Eli and Edythe L. Broad Foundation and now $12 million from a long-term contract with the Pepsi Co., which was announced Thursday.

The first phase will include a new field house, with the ground breaking expected by the fall.

Ground breaking for the biggest piece of the project – the Recreation and Wellness Center – might begin as soon as late next year, according to a press release from Sac State public affairs, and is estimated to cost $50 million and could be completed by June of 2009.

The recreation center will include a fitness center, athletic courts, rock-climbing walls and other amenities, but the programming and design are still in the works.

The architect is Ellerbe Becket, which has a partnership firm in San Francisco and has built various sports buildings – including Charlotte Arena for the NBA Bobcats in Charlotte, N.C., the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., for the NBA Memphis Grizzlies, and Gonzaga University's McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane, Wash.

http://www.csus.edu/news/images/Aerial%20Photo_3_Entrance_Future.jpg

http://www.csus.edu/news/imagedownload/Aerial%20Photo_3_Entrance_Future.jpg

http://www.csus.edu/news/imagedownload/Scheme3Masterplansm.jpg

ucdtim17
April 6th, 2006, 02:31 PM
well they didn't donate $12 mil, they're paying it for the right to sell Pepsi on campus. But impressive still

Green Cookie Monster
April 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
well they didn't donate $12 mil, they're paying it for the right to sell Pepsi on campus. But impressive still

I personally prefer Coca-Cola, but am now a Pepsi fan. Maybe we can also get a KFC baseball stadium out of another deal with them?

grizband
April 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
This sounds like a similar agreement that Coke has with UM. I think they pay us around $600.000 a year, but the only drinks available anywhere on campus are Coke products. Its not bad, except when you want something that Coke doesn't sell.

catbob
April 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Coke > Pepsi, except for Mountain Dew. Unless you can get your hands on Mellow Yellow, which ain't easy. :(

darussian12
April 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
yeah coke owns our soul here too...but i think were trying to wrangle new video scoreboards out of them for the contract renewal...i could care less what the campus sells cause we have enough quickarts withing walking distance...congrats though on getting all that money...i wouldnt know what current fees are but 110 increase per semester just for this one fee...what you all have must really be bad for the students to vote that in...or is Sac State pretty wealthy students since it is CALI :-) ??

JoshUCA
April 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Pepsi owns UCA too (good thing for me that I drink Dr. Pepper!)...but they gave us a nice new indoor practice facility:hurray: Click Here to go to the UCA Fans Site (http://www.ucafans.com/facilities.php). Then click on the Pepsi Center under football to see it! The Huge Pepsi logo is on the side not in any of the pictures.

Green Cookie Monster
April 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I am an alum of Texas State also. Known as SWT when I was hoofing up and down those hills. I would think the facilities at Sac will be very comparable to the facilities in San Marcos. Go Hornets! Go Bobcats!

Retro
April 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM
SHRINK THAT PICTURE!

Green Cookie Monster
April 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
SHRINK THAT PICTURE!

I wish I could.

bandl
April 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Holy crap that picture is annoying.

On a college campus....both Coke and Pepsi go great with Rum, Soco, Whiskey, etc. There won't be many complaints.

Ronbo
April 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
How's this. Cookie go in to edit and paste the address to this pic. You get the address by right clicking the photo then click properties.

http://www.syntheticdealer.com/sac_st.jpg

Husky Alum
April 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Pepsi doesn't own KFC any more. It's an independent company called YUM! Brands - they spun them off about 7-8 years ago, so you'll have to strike a different deal with YUM if you want KFC on campus.

Green Cookie Monster
April 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks Ronbo, I found some smaller pics on the Sac website and replaced the originals.

See if you can spot the giant Herky Hornet mascot. Kinda like Where's Waldo?

crunifan
April 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
UNI is a Pepsi school, and I am damn proud of it.

Pepsi > Coke. Midwesterners know where it is at!

By the way, I'm sure you non-Midwesterners will enjoy this.

Pepsi is the better...pop!;)

UNH 40
April 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I wish someone would make a donation like that to UNH.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I wish someone would make a donation like that to UNH.

No kidding!!!! I was thinking how does UNH get Coke or Pepsi to do the same thing in Durham. $12M would probably guarantee the stadium enhancement project much sooner rather than later!!!!

Aggie71
April 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Where is the new parking lot gunna be? How do you hold a Causeway classic drunk, with broken glass and passed out students without all that asphalt?

Just kidding,

Congrats and don't use any of the Aggie Contractors or scheduling methods.

'71