PDA

View Full Version : Andy Coen: Worried About Georgetown?

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Says he picked them second in the PL poll. (Even I find that hard to imagine.)

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc-patriot-league-0831-20110831,0,7928612.story

Seawolf97
August 31st, 2011, 08:19 PM
I think all coaches will say things like that about weaker teams in their conference. It is way to show a little respect for a team that may continue to struggle. You dont want to start the season sounding arrogant , counting wins before they happen. The cream of the PL crop this season is Lehigh and probably Colgate.

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2011, 10:59 PM
It would have been nice if Andy treated the poll seriously.

Sader87
August 31st, 2011, 11:01 PM
It would have been nice if Andy treated the poll seriously.

it would be nice if anyone outside of the Lehigh Valley. PA area treated this league seriously.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2011, 11:05 PM
it would be nice if anyone outside of the Lehigh Valley. PA area treated this league seriously.

Well at least you're placing the blame on the institution rather than the league.

Also, Colgate is the second winningest program in the PL.

Sader87
August 31st, 2011, 11:11 PM
Well at least you're placing the blame on the institution rather than the league.

Also, Colgate is the second winningest program in the PL.

Please...if both Colgate and HC had both stayed serious about football (i.e. not join the PL) they would have continued to dominate Lehigh in football (if they ever played them that is)

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2011, 11:14 PM

You can move Holy Cross to Nazareth...

It may seem that way when you are in ACC country and are the only college in the area in the conference.

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2011, 11:17 PM
[/B]

Please...if both Colgate and HC had both stayed serious about football (i.e. not join the PL) they would have continued to dominate Lehigh in football (if they ever played them that is)

Here we go...

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
[/B]

LOL, Lehigh's D2 squads of the 70's would have crushed Holy Cross's pitiful 1A teams of that era.

From '73-'78 D2 Lehigh beat 1A Colgate 58-26, 33-12, 38-6, 38-7.

Sader87
August 31st, 2011, 11:39 PM
LOL, Lehigh's D2 squads of the 70's would have crushed Holy Cross's pitiful 1A teams of that era.

Holy Cross beat Army, Air Force and BC in 1978....just sayin'

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 08:38 AM

Wow. Just thinking here . . . Holy Cross coulda been in the Patriot League.

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Also Holy Cross won the NCAA tournament in 1947, and Doug Flutie played at Fitton 30 years ago.

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
[/B]

Colgate played Lafayette, Lehigh, and Bucknell before the PL.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM
But back to the subject at hand...

Coen may be worried about Georgetown but it seems none of the other PL coaches are. Everyone in the PL fraternity knows the dual issues of AI and financial aid lean heavily against Georgetown and the facilities are tailor-made for negative recruiting. Until at least two of these three issues are met, even Frank Tavani is going to have a hard time scaring his team into thinking the Hoyas are going to step over them.

Fordham
September 1st, 2011, 09:18 AM
But back to the subject at hand...

Coen may be worried about Georgetown but it seems none of the other PL coaches are. Everyone in the PL fraternity knows the dual issues of AI and financial aid lean heavily against Georgetown and the facilities are tailor-made for negative recruiting. Until at least two of these three issues are met, even Frank Tavani is going to have a hard time scaring his team into thinking the Hoyas are going to step over them.

I think it's interesting that most on here dismiss his comments as though he can't possibly be telling the truth. I also think it's interesting that while he might be sending a message out to Gtown that he's taking them very seriously, he's also sending a message to Colgate that he doens't consider them his top competition for the title.

All that goes out the window if he voted for Colgate to win it, though. Are PL coaches allowed to vote for their own team to win it or do they rank everyone else but their team?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2011, 09:27 AM
I actually echo coach Coen's sentiments concerning Georgetown in my preview of the Hoyas.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/08/know-your-2011-opponents-georgetown.html

Would I have put Georgetown ahead of Colgate, or Lehigh? No. But could you make an extremely compelling case to put them ahead of Bucknell, Holy Cross, and Lafayette? Absolutely.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 09:39 AM
Well, the Hoyas beat us last year, so there's no reason not to put them ahead of Lafayette. Same with Holy Cross. Including Fordham, I think there's a case to be made for placing Georgetown fourth, but second is quite a stretch. Then again, if Georgetown can maintain the level of play they had early in the season, it would take just one true upset to move them even higher.

Fordham
September 1st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Well, the Hoyas beat us last year, so there's no reason not to put them ahead of Lafayette. Same with Holy Cross. Including Fordham, I think there's a case to be made for placing Georgetown fourth, but second is quite a stretch. Then again, if Georgetown can maintain the level of play they had early in the season, it would take just one true upset to move them even higher.
but if you exclude Fordham and add in that coaches can't vote for their own squad when ranking and it's plausible that Coen voted Colgate, Gtown, HC, LC & BU (although I'm sure a Lehigh man would have put LC last when given the opportunity). In that context it's plausible and a bit more realistic even though I'm sure Coen knew he was making it sound as though he had picked Gtown over Colgate, Fordham, HC, etc.

carney2
September 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Coen: pundit or fraud? We will have to wait only 9 days to find out.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2110/reidcoen.jpg

Coen: "Andy, do you have any tips for our OL on how to take on those Georgetown speed rushers this season?"

Reid: "Let them eat cake. Time's yours."

RichH2
September 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM
He may have overstated it a bit but Hoyas will be better. They were a 1st half team last yr ,then died in 2nd. A bit more depth who knows. Myself I would look to Bucknell . A frosh qb last yr. More depth. Parity in PL a given even last yr. LU won lots of very close games. Dont expect any thing different this yr.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM

I have the feeling that won't be quite so difficult for him coming into this season xreadx

I think it's interesting that most on here dismiss his comments as though he can't possibly be telling the truth. I also think it's interesting that while he might be sending a message out to Gtown that he's taking them very seriously, he's also sending a message to Colgate that he doens't consider them his top competition for the title.

All that goes out the window if he voted for Colgate to win it, though. Are PL coaches allowed to vote for their own team to win it or do they rank everyone else but their team?

I can't say for certain, but I would guess you can't vote for your own team in the poll. Otherwise he put Georgetown above everyone except Lehigh, or he put Lehigh below 2nd, both of which seem a bit odd (at least, enough to warrent its own thread). This strikes me as similar to how Spurrier always votes Duke #25 in the preseason poll xtwocentsx

dgtw
September 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
I don't think Spurrier does thyat anymore. I believe they told him to knock it off.

Why are coaches (or whoever actually sends in the ballot) not allowed to vote for themselves in preseason conference polls?

van
September 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Not sure about #2, but the Hoyas will be much more competitive this year based on their defense alone. If they can get some playmakers going on offense, they could be pretty darn good.

RichH2
September 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM
Still preseason for a couple of hours, everybody is undefeated and every fan can root for his team to continue that way

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Why are coaches (or whoever actually sends in the ballot) not allowed to vote for themselves in preseason conference polls?

I don't know about stated reasons, but it avoids some potentially awkward situations (in the coaches' minds). Most coaches, I would guess, hate having to rank their own teams, especially if the ideal ranking is high. There's always the fear of complacency if you suggest your own team is #1, or the potential for "disrespect" if your opponents rank you low, to say nothing of how it might look if you voted your team middle of the pack or at the bottom. Not having to place your own team allows a bit more honesty, I would guess

Go...gate
September 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Colgate played Lafayette, Lehigh, and Bucknell before the PL.

Right.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
It is just good to see the season arrive. Go Red Raiders!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
bump

RichH2
November 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM
bump

Yup and a bang and a whimper ( from Gate), will be a nailbiter vs Hoyas. Gu has little O but a very solid D particularly vs run. FU passed them silly but 4 TOs a killer vs NONE for Hoyas.

superman7515
November 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Ingredients
24 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (12 crows)
2 medium onions (chopped)
6 tblsp of oil
5 slices of bacon (chopped)
1 big or 2 small turnips (peeled & chopped)
1/3 of celery root (peeled & chopped) - note: substitute with celery
3 tblsp wet mustard
1 tblsp lemon juice
salt, pepper to taste
dash of paprika
2 bay leaves
2 juniper berries - note: substitute with allspice
1 tblsp Majorjam (crushed)
1 heaping tblsp of mayonnaise
water

Preparation
Sauté onions and bacon in oil until golden. Add meat, spices and sauté some more. Add vegetables and the rest of the ingredients except mayonnaise. Add enough water to keep the meat almost covered. Simmer slowly, adding water as it evaporates. In about 3 hours you will see that the meat is soft enough to cut with a fork. Take the meat out and place on heated platter or dish to keep warm. Remove the bay leaf and put all the gravy (about 2 cups) in a blender and blend. When thoroughly blended, add mayonnaise and blend shortly.
Add gravy to meat and serve over rice with a winter salad.

ngineer
November 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Interesting this old thread was remembered and located. I guess Ol' Andy knew what he was talking about. Should be a great atmosphere next Saturday in Goodman. Hopefully, the weather will like today. Gorgeous day. Glad the team woke up in the second half.