PDA

View Full Version : Villanova Temple

HailSzczur
August 31st, 2011, 06:31 PM
3rd Annual Mayor's Cup is tomorrow at Lincoln Financial Field. Saying the Wildcats poised to have a rebuilding year is an understatement, but the Owls aren't the creme de la creme of the BCS, let alone the MAC, so it promises to be an interesting game.

Tickets on campus went surprisingly fast. Information about tickets wasn't released to the student body until yesterday at 9 AM, and at 2 PM today I purchased the last ticket Villanova had in the their ticket office. While I have no idea how many tickets were actually sold its nice to see a little demand and excitement about the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_iMhgTzLUk&feature=player_embedded

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2011, 09:06 PM
I won't be able to make this year after attending the last two. I will be watching though!

Hopefully Nova brings more fans than they did last year. I was completely shocked to see how few VU fans turned out given 'Nova was the defending national champion. There there couldn't have been more than 2-3k Wildcat supporters that weren't students.

As for the game i think Temple will win but i won't be easy. I think the Owls tack on a late TD and win 34-17.

HailSzczur
August 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Im not expecting them to come out in throngs, but the vibe on campus is good, I'm hoping for a solid 5k there at least. My prediction is 31-24

VUCats02
August 31st, 2011, 09:30 PM
2-3K Nova fans last year?? I must have been at a different mayor's cup than you.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2011, 09:50 PM
2-3K Nova fans last year?? I must have been at a different mayor's cup than you.

Perhaps you were, even Szczur didn't argue it and is hoping for 5k this year. There was a concentration of Nova fans between the 40's and the students were in the corner. You can actually get a relatively decent idea from this picture, there's a patch of blue and white. You'll also notice a lot of cherry. Remeber, this is the 'Nova side you're looking at.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/0/0e/2be/00e2beaa-b7e3-11df-ba4a-001cc4c03286-revisions/4c81d53ec85f0.image.jpg

Found another, this is right before kickoff. Last year was a 5 pm KO because of the Phillies game so it took awhile for people to get there.

http://o5.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/resize/600x450/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/20d1cae6058654c54659434f6a8c4990

HailSzczur
August 31st, 2011, 10:44 PM
I was not able to make the game last year, but based on what I saw in 09 2-3K sounds about right.
I think we might have somewhere around there in students alone, and theres always a solid core of alumni that turn out.

As for there being alot of cherry....I just cant seem to take that color seriously

aust42
September 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Why the hell isn't this game on local TV?

MR. CHICKEN
September 1st, 2011, 07:58 AM
16038......'CUZ PHILLY IS UH PRO SPORTS CITY............IFIN'....PENN STATE WERE LOCATED....IN TOWN.....DEY WOOD BE EMBRACED......BUT SECOND TIER COLLEGE SQWADS.....NOT!......AWK!

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM
Why the hell isn't this game on local TV?

It wasn't last year either which made if really painful to not be there. However it is atleast on ESPN 3 this year.

superman7515
September 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Heard it promoted on ESPN 97.5 The Fanatic this morning... "And the Mayor's Cup is tonight, Temple vs Villanova. What, no pre-season basketball games available instead?"

bluehenbillk
September 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately it's being reported they're expecting the smallest Mayor's Cup attendance they've had tonight....

GannonFan
September 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately it's being reported they're expecting the smallest Mayor's Cup attendance they've had tonight....

The Eagles are playing a preseason game tonight that starts at the same time. Just the nature of Philly, college football, at least local college football, is way, way back on the priority list. Heck, this is the 4th and most meaningless preseason game and it dominates the news coverage - well, that and the Phillies of course. Philadelphia cares about Penn State football, but neither Temple nor nova register on the radar screen.

Heck, even those pictures from last year don't look promising - I realize the Linc is way oversized for that game but wasn't that supposed to be a 35k crowd last year? Where are they?

GannonFan
September 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM
Saw Norman White is out for the game tonight for nova, and there's even rumblings that he could be lost for the year. If he's lost for any period of time that could turn what was going to be a blah year for nova into a potentially really bad year. Not that I'm complaining.

Rob Iola
September 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM

Maybe they can get Joe Biden to show up - that'd give people a reason to come out - worked well for our playoff game last year against New Hampshire...

VUCats02
September 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
I doubt he's out for the whole year but if he is it's probably better as his services to Nova's football team will be much more valuable next year than this year anyway.

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Talked to the back up full back during classes this morning. He told me Normans done for the year.

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
Maybe they can get Joe Biden to show up - that'd give people a reason to come out - worked well for our playoff game last year against New Hampshire...

They sorta tried that the first year when Temple brought in Bill Cosby

superman7515
September 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM
It's a shame, but it's not just Philly or Nova/Temple. Doesn't work in NYC, doesn't work well for most in LA, doesn't work in Houston, doesn't work in Miami...

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM
It's a shame, but it's not just Philly or Nova/Temple. Doesn't work in NYC, doesn't work well for most in LA, doesn't work in Houston, doesn't work in Miami...

It might work better if we were actually in Philadelphia. I mean whats our real motivation to play for Philadelphia's mayor's cup? Ive always scratched my head on that one. The only thing it really works for around here is the Big 5

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM
Temple intercepts 'Nova in the endzone. They'll start their first drive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
TD Owls!! 7-0 Temple!!

Skjellyfetti
September 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
WCU turns the ball over on inside their own 5 on their first possession.

The new Pistol offense is aimed squarely at their foot. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Temple misses a 48 yard FG, stil 7-0 with about 12 minutes in 2Q.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
TD Pierce!!! Owls are blowing the Cats off the ball!!

14-0 Owls!

Mr. C
September 1st, 2011, 07:25 PM
It started off pretty small, but the crowd filled in a lot better as the half wore on. There doesn't appear to be much of a Villanova crowd this year. Last year, despite what that other poster said, it was about 50-50 between Villanova and Temple fans (32,193 spectators in 2010 for a great game).

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
It started off pretty small, but the crowd filled in a lot better as the half wore on. There doesn't appear to be much of a Villanova crowd this year. Last year, despite what that other poster said, it was about 50-50 between Villanova and Temple fans (32,193 spectators in 2010 for a great game).

No way was it 50/50 last year, that's an absurb comment. I'll provide more pics to prove otherwise.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM
TD Owls on a Gerardi bomb to Streeter!!

28-0 Owls 12:05 3Q

Mr. C
September 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM
Call it absurd if you want, but I've been at all three Mayor's Cup games. Just because you put a picture up from one angle or another doesn't mean anything.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
BP with his 3rd TD!!

35-0 Owls! 2:20 3Q

GannonFan
September 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM
Call it absurd if you want, but I've been at all three Mayor's Cup games. Just because you put a picture up from one angle or another doesn't mean anything.

15k nova fans is absurd - they don't get 15k pure nova fans for basketball, even then they get a decent walkup of general b-ball fans from Philly.

GannonFan
September 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
It might work better if we were actually in Philadelphia. I mean whats our real motivation to play for Philadelphia's mayor's cup? Ive always scratched my head on that one. The only thing it really works for around here is the Big 5

Kind of an odd statement for a fan of a team that wants to base its ability to be successful at the FBS level on its ability to bring the Philly market along with it.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
42-7 Temple (final)

Is this year a down year for Nova or is Temple a smidge better than last year?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
42-7 Temple (final)

Certainly a down year for Villanova. If BP stays healthy we can be very solid this year, Top 40 good.

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Well that certainly did not go as planned.

We have a redshirt freshmen, and it really showed tonight. 3INTS and 2 Fumbles. he did not look comfortable at all in the pocket. Decent runner tho with some potential, just needs to get smarter with when to run and when and how to throw the ball away. He was also overthrowing his receivers by about a step.

WR's didn't didnt do too much tonight except Mikey Reynolds. Well actually I believe it was Dorian Wells (I havent looked at the stats yet) threw about a 50 yard pass to the QB Thomas. Best passing attack we had all game. But man did we miss Norman White.

Running game was pretty solid, the option was working at times, however it did turn ugly at the end when Thomas botched the flip.

O-line looked pretty solid gave Thomas decent amount of time for the most part.

The defense was as solid as you can be and still give up 42 points. We were pretty good up front, pass coverage was certainly spotty and gave up alot of deep balls.

VUCats02
September 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Ugly game to watch. Going to be a horrible season but it's definitely a price worth the runs of the last 2 years. Nova has nobody on defense than can stop a guy like Pierce - talent just isn't there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 10:30 PM
Ugly game to watch. Going to be a horrible season but it's definitely a price worth the runs of the last 2 years. Nova has nobody on defense than can stop a guy like Pierce - talent just isn't there.

Not sure that Villanova will have a horrible season. I don't think UNH is throwing in the towel after one game. Temple will be the best team the Cats will face this year. I really think after a few games the Cats will be a very solid FCS team. The CAA i think will take a step back this year after a couple of banner seasons. For that reason alone i think 'Nova can post a winning season.

I'll see your next opponent, Monmouth, in person on Saturday.

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
That math just does not add up. We don't fill a stadium of 12500 on campus, there is no way we brought 16000 into the city for a game. I would even spot you some generous room for rounding if you said we had 10,000 there, and thats really pushing it still. I could not get a great view from where I was sitting tonight, and by the time I walked around some in the 2nd half many fans had already hit the subway, but my guess would be somewhere in the ballpark of 5-6k nova fans.

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Some stats:
1st Downs VU 13 TU 23
3rd down efficiency VU 7-15 TU 9-14
4th down efficiency VU 0-2 TU 1-1
Total Yards VU 275 TU 475
Passing VU 153 TU 235
Comp-Att VU 12-26 TU 14-20
Yards per pass VU 5.9 TU 11.8
Rushing VU 122 TU 240
Rushing Attempts VU 35 TU 45
Penalties VU 5-35 TU 6-35
Turnovers VU 4 TU 0
Possession VU26:50 TU 33:10

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
Passing:
Thomas VU: 11/25 109 yds 0TD 3INT
Wells VU: 1/1 44 yds
Geradi TU: 14/20 235 yd 2TD 0INT

Rushing:
Thomas VU: 17/59yds 1TD
Doss VU: 7/31yds
Pierce TU: 20/147 yds 3TD
Coyer TU: 4/68yds 1 TD
Brown TU: 11/32yds

Receiving:
Reynolds VU: 5/51yds
Thomas VU: 1/44yds
Price VU: 3/39yds
Miller TU: 4/74yds 1 TD
Rodriguez TU: 6/68yds
Strater TU: 2/68yds1TD

HailSzczur
September 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Reported attendance was 32,368. just breaking the figure Mr. C posted for last year

VUCats02
September 2nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Not sure that Villanova will have a horrible season. I don't think UNH is throwing in the towel after one game. Temple will be the best team the Cats will face this year. I really think after a few games the Cats will be a very solid FCS team. The CAA i think will take a step back this year after a couple of banner seasons. For that reason alone i think 'Nova can post a winning season.

I'll see your next opponent, Monmouth, in person on Saturday.

Nova should be able to win 3 of their next 5 games, but once the tough CAA portion of the schedule starts, I don't see them doing much. It's not rocket science - you saw them play last night...the youth just is not ready to play against tough opponents.

VUCats02
September 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Reported attendance was 32,368. just breaking the figure Mr. C posted for last year

There were a lot more students from Temple this year than the last 2 year's games. I would say for the most part the crowd looked to be around the same size it was last year other than the 2 extra sections of Temple students.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
42-7 Temple (final)

The latter. I think Al Golden left Temple with a lot of talent for a sucessful 2011 season.

HailSzczur
September 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Nova should be able to win 3 of their next 5 games, but once the tough CAA portion of the schedule starts, I don't see them doing much. It's not rocket science - you saw them play last night...the youth just is not ready to play against tough opponents.

Thats the exact point Ive been making to everyone on campus who are writing the season of already. Towson and Monmouth should be very win-able games, and with a little bit of confidence who knows what could happen. Despite how ugly the game was there still were some positives, its not quite as grim as it seems

ngineer
September 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
The latter. I think Al Golden left Temple with a lot of talent for a sucessful 2011 season.

Yes, a combination of VU being a little down and Temple improving in personnel. Not surprised by result, but thought score would be more like 31-17.