PDA

View Full Version : Two-Time Defending NEC Champion Football Team Releases 2006 Schedule

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Blue Devils Open Season on September 2

April 5, 2006

New Britain, CT - Head Coach Jeff McInerney and the two-time defending Northeast Conference Champion Central Connecticut football team released the 2006 schedule today. The Blue Devils will play four home games and seven games on the road, returning to an 11-game schedule for the second straight season. McInerney is entering his first season as the head coach of the Blue Devils. In 2005, the Blue Devils posted a 7-4 overall record and a 5-2 conference mark, earning co-champion honors with Stony Brook. It was the second straight football conference championship for the Blue Devils.

Sat 09/02/06 Marist New Britain, CT 5:00 PM
Sat 09/09/06 Georgia Southern Statesboro, GA TBA
Fri 09/15/06 Southern Connecticut New Haven, CT 7:00 PM
Sat 09/23/06 Albany Albany, NY 4:00 PM
Sat 09/30/06 St. Peter's Jersey City, NJ 1:00 PM
Sat 10/07/06 St. Francis (PA) New Britain, CT 1:00 PM
Sat 10/14/06 Robert Morris Moon Township, PA 1:00 PM
Sat 10/21/06 Wagner New Britain, CT 12:00 PM
Sat 10/28/06 Monmouth W. Long Branch, NJ 1:00 PM
Sat 11/04/06 Sacred Heart Fairfield, CT 12:30 PM
Sat 11/11/06 Stony Brook New Britain, CT 12:00 PM

In 2006, the Blue Devils will face a tough non-conference schedule to open the season, playing Marist at home on September 2 and then traveling to Statesboro, GA to face perennial I-AA power Georgia Southern on September 9. Marist defeated the Blue Devils last season in Poughkeepsie and Georgia Southern earned a trip to the I-AA playoffs in 2005. The third non-conference game of the season is a familiar face, although they have not been on the schedule since 1999. The Blue Devils will travel about a half hour to New Haven to renew the series with Southern Connecticut on Friday, September 15 at 7:00 p.m. The Blue Devils and Owls have met 50 times in the past, although they have not played since the 1999 season, a 30-23 victory by CCSU. The final non-conference game will be at St. Peter's on September 30 at 1:00 p.m.

The seven-game NEC schedule begins on the road at Albany on September 23. The Blue Devils have won two straight in the series with the Great Danes including a 14-13 home victory last season. The conference schedule continues on October 7 when the Blue Devils host St. Francis (PA) on Homecoming looking to rebound after a 31-28 loss on the road to the Red Flash a year ago. The win was the first for the Red Flash over CCSU since 1993. The Blue Devils travel to Robert Morris on October 14 and are looking for the third straight win over the Colonials.

Wagner comes to town on October 21 and then the Blue Devils will travel for two straight weeks. The trip begins at Monmouth on October 28 where the Blue Devils will be looking for their fourth victory over the Hawks in the last five seasons. Then they travel to Sacred Heart on November 4 looking for their third straight win over the Pioneers. The regular season ends with the Blue Devils hosting Stony Brook on November 11 at 12:00 p.m.

http://ccsubluedevils.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040506aaa.html

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Let me be the first to say - you go 11-0 with this schedule, you're in the playoffs :)

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Let me be the first to say - you go 11-0 with this schedule, you're in the playoffs :)

Thanks, but not so sure.

First, we have a new coach and I honestly think they can finish anwhere between 3-8 and 8-3. Too much is unknown, although we have a very good returning Soph QB (NEC Offense ROY) and soph CB (NEC Defesnsive ROY), plus the 2 previous NEC Offensiive ROYs in A. Smith (WR) and C. Harge (RB). We also have 3 returning 1st team defensive players.

But let's face it the NEC SOS still lacks much respect. Plus the OOC is just:
Marist - a very good "mid-major" team
GSU - a strong playoff team, but unknown with a new coach
Southern Conn. - a DII playoff team with a high powered offensive
St. Peters - a very bad MAAC team

Personally, I would love to trade the game @ SPC for a home game vs. a top MM (like San Diego or Duquense) or a mid-tier PL, OVC, MEAC, or Big South team.

bandl
April 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM

:confused: How so????? Besides a win @ GSU (highly unlikely), what about that schedule puts them in the playoffs if they win out?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM
:confused: How so????? Besides a win @ GSU (highly unlikely), what about that schedule puts them in the playoffs if they win out?

The GSU win.

OL FU
April 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Depends on whether the Patriot gets two bids:o :)

bandl
April 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM
The GSU win.

Still not seeing your logic. There's a reason the NEC SOS doesn't get any respect. Every single one of the teams on this schedule (except GSU) are in the bottom 40 of last year's GPI.

eaglesrthe1
April 5th, 2006, 12:42 PM
11-0 with that schedule would still be a long shot, even if GSU went 10-1 at the same time. JMO.

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Still not seeing your logic. There's a reason the NEC SOS doesn't get any respect. Every single one of the teams on this schedule (except GSU) are in the bottom 40 of last year's GPI.

I agree with bandl for the most part. At this point, just 1 team (GSU) is likely to be of "playoff caliber." The schedule isn't strong, but it isn't weak - it is what it is - and we won't know what that is until November.

HOWEVER, if (and its a big if), but IF CCSU were to win at GSU and then the Eagles go on to win their conference auto-bid, that would have to carry some signifigant weight. That would be the 2nd season in a row CCSU beat an playoff qualifier on the road. Again, its a long shot right now, but that would have to put us in the same category as most people seem to regard Coastal Carolina - a good I-AA team in a weaker conference, period.

colgate13
April 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
If CCSU went 11-0, beating GSU and spanking the rest of the schedule silly, AND GSU was a playoff caliber team - they're in.

GSU is .500 or so, no.

faxjusfax
April 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Personally, I would love to trade the game @ SPC for a home game vs. a top MM (like San Diego or Duquense) or a mid-tier PL, OVC, MEAC, or Big South team.

I believe Duquesne is still looking to fill out their schedule. Would be a competitive matchup.

Go...gate
April 5th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Agreed on the Duquesne scenario, but looks like a good sked.

April 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Winner of the NEC plays the PFL champ I'm told... not playoffs.