PDA

View Full Version : Another I-AA in the Making? Campbell

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM
We're talking about all these potential I-AAs and now we have another. Sound the alarm, Ralph! They are in the Atlantic Sun, so would they be good enough for SoCon or head to Big South? OVC perhaps? Probably not, eh?

Campbell Looks To Bring Back Football
POSTED: 3:35 pm EDT April 4, 2006

BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Campbell University should bring a football team back to the school for the first time in more than 50 years, according to study committee.

Campbell hasn't had a football team since the 1950s, when it was still a two-year college. The people studying the idea said now could be a good time to resume playing.

The program would compete in the NCAA's Division I-AA, which would allow the school to retain Division I status in other sports, such as basketball, according to a memo to deans from Campbell Provost M. Dwaine Greene.

Campbell trustees plan to discuss the football issue at their meeting this week, the memo said.

http://www.nbc17.com/sports/8465350/detail.html

walliver
April 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
The press release in another thread
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9108
states that Campbell would be a non-scholarship team, so I doubt there would be any interest by the established I-AA football conferences.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
The press release in another thread
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9108
states that Campbell would be a non-scholarship team, so I doubt there would be any interest by the established I-AA football conferences.

Campbell as a non-scholarship team. Interesting...

The non-scholarship work needs to re-evaluate themselves especially since the Pioneer is stretched from sea to shining sea. Not sure what they'd want to do about that, but those travel budgets are rough..

henfan
April 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I don't think it's safe to assume that Campbell would remain a N/S I-AA permanently or even for the short term. The Fayetteville Observer article indicated only that the team would "start as a nonscholarship Division I-AA program, possibly in 2008 or 2009." Sounds like they've yet to determine at what type of I-AA program Campbell would eventually sponsor.

89Hen
April 5th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Big South candidate?

Coastal89
April 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Big South candidate?
They were a charter member of the Big South and chose to leave many years ago. It remains to be seen if the sting of a lost auto-bid in basketball, because of Campbell leaving, has been forgiven.

89Hen
April 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
They were a charter member of the Big South and chose to leave many years ago. It remains to be seen if the sting of a lost auto-bid in basketball, because of Campbell leaving, has been forgiven.
Ooo, didn't know that. Like Richmond and the CAA. :nod:

DUPFLFan
April 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
so I doubt there would be any interest by the established I-AA football conferences.

I guess the PFL is not an established conference...:rolleyes:

dbackjon
April 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
IF Campbell was non-schollie, it would work well in the Pioneer with Jacksonville and Davidson nearby.

If Schollie, and if the Big South still needs a 6th, then.....

AppGuy04
April 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Campbell sucks in everything, the last thing the Big South needs is another cupcake team

rokamortis
April 5th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Campbell sucks in everything, the last thing the Big South needs is another cupcake team

Can't argue about the conference strength, but the Big South can't be too picky. The Camels would be an ideal choice for the conference. PC is looking to go to the SoCon long-term and they won't qualify the Big South for an autobid for 10+ years anyway. But if Campbell joined the Big South the conference would be eligible for an autobid 2-3 years later since the Camels are already DI.

rokamortis
April 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I don't think it's safe to assume that Campbell would remain a N/S I-AA permanently or even for the short term. The Fayetteville Observer article indicated only that the team would "start as a nonscholarship Division I-AA program, possibly in 2008 or 2009." Sounds like they've yet to determine at what type of I-AA program Campbell would eventually sponsor.

Good point - sounds like someone is trying to help fast track it.

vmisport
April 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Give the Big South some credit. In time the football programs will get much better. Look at the other programs.......this year the Big South's basketball RPI was #19 vs. Southern's #24. The Big South is normally better in baseball sending a couple to the playoffs for several straight years. There's no reason that football shouldn't follow the trends of these other sports.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
But, why would Campbell have to be Big South in everything? Can't they stick to their current A-Sun in everything and just have football affiliation? Louisiana-Monroe was SLC in everything except football for quite a few years and it wasn't an issue. They were I-A and in the Sun Belt for football...

vmisport
April 5th, 2006, 05:20 PM
certainly, that would be an acceptable solution for both the Big South and Campbell. BS would get its 6th team faster than waiting for PC and Campbell could keep all other sports where they presently are.

rokamortis
April 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
But, why would Campbell have to be Big South in everything? Can't they stick to their current A-Sun in everything and just have football affiliation?

Gardner-Webb is in the exact same situation. they are members of the A-Sun and associate members of the Big South in football.

IaaScribe
April 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Rok, I had heard some grumblings that Gardner-Webb might be interested in full-time membership in the Big South. I know there are a couple of GW posters here. Any scuttlebutt?

vmisport
April 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I think that is true