PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis at Arizona State Game Thread

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Thursday FCS-FBS action!

UC Davis is 0-1 all time against the Sun Devils, with the only contest being a 21-13 decision in 1940! UC Davis beat SJSU last season, and are 2-18 all time against current Pac-12 members, including a victory in 2005 against Stanford while they were still in transition from Division-II.

Aggies probably don't have much of a shot, and lines where posted for the game have UC Davis getting 35.5 points from the Sun Devils.

I think they should cover that but a straight up victory would be something. Anybody think the Aggies have a shot, or might make it interesting?

BlueGoldAg
August 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM
ASU reportedly has the best LB's in the nation and Vontaze Burfict is a vicious force known as much for his late hits as his ability to dominate the game. With the size, speed, and depth advantage that the Sun Devils have over the Ags, it would be a much bigger upset than the Aggies' victory over Stanford in 2005 if the Ags were able to win in Tempe. Quite honestly, I'll be happy if we play hard, avoid injuries, show improvement over last year and take the money and run.

sikolec
September 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah I'm pulling for UC Davis on this one, but don't see it happening. Avoiding injuries will be key.

lucchesicourt
September 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
The Aggies only chance is if the Devils make mistakes, such as fumbles, interceptions, and stupid penalties. The Ags will need to play a pretty much flawless game to have a chance. However, Stanford was also favored by a whole bunch, the Cardinal also had a winning season in the Pac-10, the Ags had about 50 fewer schollie players on the field at the time, the Ags missed what 3 field goals and 2 extra points, made two huge errors that resulted in Cardinal TD's, and yet still won the game. I guess that's why they play the games.

BlueGoldAg
September 1st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Its going to be hellish hot tonight in Tempe. The forecast calls for a high of 111 and a low of 87. The estimated temperature at the 7 pm start is 107. Depth will be a big issue in conditions like this and ASU's +23 schollies will be much to their advantage as the game wears on.

DG Cowboy
September 1st, 2011, 04:21 PM
Arizona State has been known to do stoopid!

bojeta
September 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
107!! Ouch! I once played in a game that hit 107 during HS. The refs stopped the game due to a CIF rule on excessive temps. We were glad they did lol...

BlueGoldAg
September 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Arizona State has been known to do stoopid!

We'd be mighty grateful if they would do some stoopid tonight...!!

coover
September 1st, 2011, 10:44 PM
Half Time: I haven't seen much of the game as I've been watching North Dakota - Drake. That game's over now and I've got this one on now. By the score 24-0, it looks like Az State hasn't been "stoopid" very much in the first half.

When I turned over to this game, the first thing I saw was a UCDavis defenseman make a very hard tackle in the backfield ... impresive. But I'll know more about UCDavis by watching the 2nd half. I hope you do well, Aggies.

bojeta
September 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM
Turnovers and penalties have been VERY costly for Davis so far. I don't think they would be threatening with an upset, but I think the score should really be no worse than 14-0 at this point if it weren't for so many mistakes. Physically, they seem to be hanging with ASU.

coover
September 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
bojeta ... looks like Arizona State has completely taken control ... now 38 to nothing and still in the 3rd quarter.

By the way, take a look at my analysis of North Dakota in the North Dakota - Drake thread. I was impressed by some of ND's skill players, but not much else. Unless they get straightened out, they're going to have some problems. However, outside of a couple of very difficult opponents, they have a fairly easy schedule. 5 wins for North Dakota this year.

coover
September 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM
Watching this game (just a bit of the 1st half and the first twelve minutes of the 2nd), I am having a difficult time evaluating the Aggies. The overmatch that Az State seems to have has either physically beaten down the Aggies where they cannot compete or has mentally worn them down to that point. Az State seems to be almost able to do anything they want.

i don't think we are watching the UCDavis team we will see later this year. Biggs is a good coach, and they will be much better when we face them.

coover
September 1st, 2011, 11:42 PM
Touchdown, UCDavis! 41-7. More than 12 minutes left in the game.

coover
September 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Davis starting to look better against Az St reserves. Good QB, good receivers, they might make some noise in the Great Western. 48 - 14, 6+ mintes remaining.

bojeta
September 2nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
That 98 yard return by ASU to start the 2nd half really took the wind out of Davis. They did make a surge against the reserves in the 4th. All in all, pretty much what was expected. I think Davis will come around and be a strong competitor in the Great West this year.

coover
September 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Late in the game, Davis' defense seemingly cannot stop Az State reserves.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that a good FCS defense should be able to stop the 3rd and 4th team reserves, even from a superior FBS team.

Game over, Final Score: Az St 48 - UCDavis 14

coover
September 2nd, 2011, 12:19 AM
See you in San Diego, bojeta. I'll be the old, short fat guy wearing green, sitting next to the beautiful gal with brownish blonde hair ("dishwater" blonde just doesn't seem right), Plaza 41 Row 10.

BlueGoldAg
September 2nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Well, it wasn't pretty but I don't think many of us Aggie fans thought it would be. ASU was just too big, too quick, too fast, and too deep and the game was played in 106 degree heat...brutal. The interesting thing about the heat is that it was the ASU players cramping up. I didn't see any Ags cramping.

Anyway, it is hard to tell much about a team in games like this when you are so heavily over matched man-to-man. The Ags are a very young team and there were signs from some of the young players that they are going to develop nicely with this team. Compared to our last two opening games in which we lost to Fresno State 51-0 and then Cal 52-3, this was a definite improvement. ASU is better than either Fresno or Cal.

Hopefully, we didn't suffer any bad injuries. Time to take the money and get the hell out of Tempe. 9 days to get ready for Montana State in their home opener. That should actually be a pretty good game.

GoAgs72
September 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
ASU was a top 25 FBS team - other FCS teams were losing to Toledo and Temple - not your premier FBS teams.

coover
September 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
I wanted to evaluate the Aggies, but watching (mostly) the 2nd half did not give me much to evaluate. I must say, however, the Aggies offense looked decent against the Az St reserves. Defensively, however, they had some problems, though I expect it may be because Az St simply tired them out earlier. For the game, I'll give the Aggies a Great Western "B". I think they'll be a good Great Western team, not a great one, 2nd or 3rd. After watching the North Dakota game against a weak Drake University, I expect them to end up at the bottom of the pack, while one of the 4 other teams will probably have a bad season and finish 4th.