PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions (9-3)

JALMOND
August 30th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Opening weekend finally here. As usual, a bunch of games involving the Big Sky against non-FCS teams. Should be easy, perhaps. For those who are not familiar to this, I will post my predictions for the Big Sky games on Wednesday, except if one or more of those teams play earlier in the week, whereas I will post them on Monday (like this week, thank you MSU). Also, the set up is I will use the abbreviation for the Big Sky schools, except for Sacramento State which will be abbreviated as Sac State. Any non-conference opponent will be spelled out. Here are this week's predictions. Last year I missed 16 games so I am hoping to improve. The best I've done is 2006 when I only missed 9 games.

EWU at Washington---The defending national champions (nice ring to it) open up their defense of that title by stepping up to the Pac-12 and playing their instate brother, Washington. Should be a good test for both as Washington is hoping for good things this year and can't afford a loss to the Eagles. For the Eagles, a good showing would be great...Washington 38, EWU 14.

ISU at Washington State---A big coup for the Bengals in the offseason was the hiring of Mike Kramer as their coach. Now they are hoping for improvement over the last few seasons and what better way than to start against Pac-12 doormat, Washington State. For Washington State, they are glad that the Bengals are not Montana State...Washington State 41, ISU 7.

UM at Tennessee---The Grizzlies, eager to show that last year was a fluke, shunned tradition and open up against an FBS opponent for the first time since 2006. The step up to the SEC may be a bit too much for the Grizzlies, who are banking on their defense to rise to the occasion while the offense gels. At good ol' Rocky Top, that may not be an option...Tennessee 38, UM 14.

MSU at Utah---Last year the Bobcats threw a major scare into the Pac-10's Washington State. Now this year, that conference has expanded by two with one of those teams being the Bobcats' new opponent this year in Utah. The Bobcats remember the game last year and hope to have the same chance at winning this year. But there is a big difference between Washington State and Utah...Utah 38, MSU 16.

NAU at Arizona---The Lumberjacks open their season with their biannual trek to Tucson to face the Pac-12's Arizona team. The Lumberjacks have some pieces returning but Arizona is hoping for a great season in the Pac-12 this year and can't afford a loss to the Lumberjacks. Can they win, or do they just keep it close? Probably neither...Arizona 41, NAU 17.

Lindenwood, Mo. at UNC---The Bears are hoping for some good things to happen right off the bat with their game against future DII Lindenwood. A new coach with a new system has instilled optimism with the Bears team and to win the opener would give them some confidence. The only problem is that Lindenwood has a good team also...UNC 21, Lindenwood 10.

Southern Oregon at PSU---One year under the pistol installed by coach Burton and a renovated stadium has created a good buzz for the Vikings. Also, they do not play multiple FBS games this year which means wins may be a bit easier. Still, they do need to play the games and they start with the NAIA's Southern Oregon in the first game at Jeld-Wen field. Good time to jumpstart the pistol...PSU 34, Southern Oregon 20.

Sac State at Oregon State---On the verge of what may be a great season for the Hornets has been news coming from Oregon State all August about injuries and suspensions. Oregon State loses one more player and the Hornets are looking forward to this game even more. The thing is, with all the depth that Oregon State has, they need to lose a lot of players for the Hornets to have a good chance...Oregon State 34, Sac State 7.

WSU at Wyoming---The Wildcats entered the season with a strong offensive line and not much else on offense. Then, to open the year, they head over to the Mountain West's Wyoming, a team that has a history of futility, but that good things are expected this year. What is sad is that, in years past with Higgins and Smith leading the way, the Wildcats could have stole this game. Now...Wyoming 31, WSU 7.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 05:52 AM
On the CFN Forums they're running pick'ems where they are using somebody's lines for these games, which is a bit unusual for me since FCS-FBS games are usually 'no line'. But in this case, it makes some sense since you've got a number of high-ranked FCS teams, some of whom are competing with unranked FBS sides. Interesting to take a look at the lines they have and think about where they are at; some of them are really interesting.

Eastern Washington +18
Washington -18

• pretty generous line, really, considering that freaking CUSA runner-up Tulsa is getting +25 against Oklahoma, despite returning most of their starters from a 10-3 season... they're giving EWU a nice line here.

Idaho State +27.5
Wazzu -27.5

• Good size number here, but really, four touchdowns? I'd probably give the points

Montana +28
Tennessee -28

• Wazzu was pretty poor last year (but looks better) and they are giving about the same number of points to an FCS coming off a 1-10 season as an SEC team who went to a bowl against a ranked team who just missed the FCS playoffs last season? make of that what you will, but i'd take the points.

Montana State +28
Utah -28

• Interesting number since, while it's the same as above, Montana State is a legit National title contender, while Utah is a strong addition to the Pac-12 and are themselves a contender for the conference crown. probably the most interesting of these (consider for example that 28 is also being given to San José State against Stanford... 28 is just safe and round, i guess). I'd give the points out of interest.

NAU +27.5
UofA -27.5

• This is a good line to look at because it's a game that has been played pretty regularly. (thanks to Ball for the stats)
here's the margins NAU has lost by to UA and ASU since 2002.

vs. ua since 2000
2009 - lost by 17
2007 - lost by 21
2005 - lost by 19
2004 - lost by 18
2002 - lost by 34

vs. ASU since 2000
2010 - lost by 21
2008 - lost by 17
2006 - lost by 21
2003 - lost by 20

So, since they would have covered only the once in the last decade (and to the other arizona team), i'd say taking the points

Sac St. +27.5
OSU -27.5

• lack of creativity again. i thought these might be more interesting.

Weber St. +11.5
Wyoming -11.5

• okay, now an interesting one! 11.5 is less than two touchdowns! for a FCS-FBS! They're just checking to see if we're paying attention. Then again, Temple is only giving Villanova 5.5

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Thank J, good to see ya back in action!

wapiti
August 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
EWU 13 @ Washington 48

ISU 10 @ Washington State 35

UM 9 @ Tennessee 42

MSU 17 @ Utah 32

NAU 21 @ Arizona 38

Lindenwood 10 @ UNC 28

Southern Oregon 6 @ PSU 32

Sac State 17 @ Oregon State 55

WSU 13 @ Wyoming 41

Future Big Sky Teams
Drake 17 @ North Dakota 31
UC Davis 6 @ Arizona State 38
Southern Utah 17 @ South Dakota State 16
Cal Poly 13 @ San diego State 34

catbob
August 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm a little surprised to see no one giving EWU much of a chance against UDub. Don't get me wrong, an Eagle victory is a huge longshot, but I can see them keeping it within 21.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sac play OSU tougher than people give them credit for as well. OSU ended their season getting whooped up on 4 out of their last 5 games, granted against some pretty good competition (lost 31-14 to Wazzou though, at home...).

And Kramer always had a knack for getting his team up for the big game. Only problem is, ISU playing lights out still doesn't give them much of a chance against the best in the Big Sky, let alone FBS squads. It'll be interesting to see how ISU plays under Kramer this year.

Easy week to predict W/L wise though.

ncbears
August 30th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Here are the winners: Washington,Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Washington State, OSU and Lindenwood.

jayhawkdaddy
August 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Washington 31-28
Washington State 41-3
Tennessee 38-17
Utah 41-21
Arizona 31-21
Northern Colorado 28-10
Portland State 21-9
Oregon State 31-0
Wyoming 20-9
North Dakota 17-14
Arizona State 30-6
South Dakota State 21-19
Sand Diego State 28-17

JALMOND
September 4th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Opening weekend finally here. As usual, a bunch of games involving the Big Sky against non-FCS teams. Should be easy, perhaps. For those who are not familiar to this, I will post my predictions for the Big Sky games on Wednesday, except if one or more of those teams play earlier in the week, whereas I will post them on Monday (like this week, thank you MSU). Also, the set up is I will use the abbreviation for the Big Sky schools, except for Sacramento State which will be abbreviated as Sac State. Any non-conference opponent will be spelled out. Here are this week's predictions. Last year I missed 16 games so I am hoping to improve. The best I've done is 2006 when I only missed 9 games.

EWU at Washington---The defending national champions (nice ring to it) open up their defense of that title by stepping up to the Pac-12 and playing their instate brother, Washington. Should be a good test for both as Washington is hoping for good things this year and can't afford a loss to the Eagles. For the Eagles, a good showing would be great...Washington 38, EWU 14.

ISU at Washington State---A big coup for the Bengals in the offseason was the hiring of Mike Kramer as their coach. Now they are hoping for improvement over the last few seasons and what better way than to start against Pac-12 doormat, Washington State. For Washington State, they are glad that the Bengals are not Montana State...Washington State 41, ISU 7.

UM at Tennessee---The Grizzlies, eager to show that last year was a fluke, shunned tradition and open up against an FBS opponent for the first time since 2006. The step up to the SEC may be a bit too much for the Grizzlies, who are banking on their defense to rise to the occasion while the offense gels. At good ol' Rocky Top, that may not be an option...Tennessee 38, UM 14.

MSU at Utah---Last year the Bobcats threw a major scare into the Pac-10's Washington State. Now this year, that conference has expanded by two with one of those teams being the Bobcats' new opponent this year in Utah. The Bobcats remember the game last year and hope to have the same chance at winning this year. But there is a big difference between Washington State and Utah...Utah 38, MSU 16.

NAU at Arizona---The Lumberjacks open their season with their biannual trek to Tucson to face the Pac-12's Arizona team. The Lumberjacks have some pieces returning but Arizona is hoping for a great season in the Pac-12 this year and can't afford a loss to the Lumberjacks. Can they win, or do they just keep it close? Probably neither...Arizona 41, NAU 17.

Lindenwood, Mo. at UNC---The Bears are hoping for some good things to happen right off the bat with their game against future DII Lindenwood. A new coach with a new system has instilled optimism with the Bears team and to win the opener would give them some confidence. The only problem is that Lindenwood has a good team also...UNC 21, Lindenwood 10.

Southern Oregon at PSU---One year under the pistol installed by coach Burton and a renovated stadium has created a good buzz for the Vikings. Also, they do not play multiple FBS games this year which means wins may be a bit easier. Still, they do need to play the games and they start with the NAIA's Southern Oregon in the first game at Jeld-Wen field. Good time to jumpstart the pistol...PSU 34, Southern Oregon 20.

Sac State at Oregon State---On the verge of what may be a great season for the Hornets has been news coming from Oregon State all August about injuries and suspensions. Oregon State loses one more player and the Hornets are looking forward to this game even more. The thing is, with all the depth that Oregon State has, they need to lose a lot of players for the Hornets to have a good chance...Oregon State 34, Sac State 7.

WSU at Wyoming---The Wildcats entered the season with a strong offensive line and not much else on offense. Then, to open the year, they head over to the Mountain West's Wyoming, a team that has a history of futility, but that good things are expected this year. What is sad is that, in years past with Higgins and Smith leading the way, the Wildcats could have stole this game. Now...Wyoming 31, WSU 7.

7-2 for opening week. Not a good start and it could have been worse. Got to get better.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2011, 03:03 AM
7-2 for opening week. Not a good start and it could have been worse. Got to get better.

lmao nvm i got ya.