PDA

View Full Version : Top coaches in Socon history?

Reign of Terrier
August 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
hear your picks/nominations

my picks (in no particular order)

Jerry Moore
Erk Russell
Bobby Johnson
Paul Johnson
Jimmy Satterfield
Dick Sheridan
Mike Ayers
Bob Waters

Any others?

I-16Bandit
August 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I see Erk Russell and Paul Johnson.

I'm good.

StorminASU
August 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Jerry Moore
Erk Russell
Bobby Johnson
Paul Johnson
Jimmy Satterfield
Dick Sheridan
Mike Ayers
Bob Waters

Any others?

All though you say no, particular order the top 4 seem to be in correct order with number 1 and 2 alternating between App and GSU fans I'm sure.

I-16Bandit
August 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
All though you say no, particular order the top 4 seem to be in correct order with number 1 and 2 alternating between App and GSU fans I'm sure.

Erk started the Georgia Southern football program from scratch with nothing to work with. 5 years later, he won 2 National Championships. 3 years after that, he leads the team to 15-0 (first Div-I team to ever accomplish that, mind you) and yet another National Championship. Moore won 3 National Championships after being at App for 16 years? Albeit he did win 3 back to back to back, but he didn't nearly accomplish what Erk did in the short amount of time Erk did with the lack of equipment and all. I just don't think there is any competition here.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Erk Russell never coached in the SoCon. Paul Johnson was 62-10 (86%) with 2 NC and a NC runner-up in 5 seasons, the first of which followed a 4-7 interim coach. Jerry Moore is a SoCon fixture and has coached App to 8+ win seasons 15 of 22 years with 3 NC.

Mike Ayers seems to get more out of what he has than anyone, but his wins don't measure up.

It's a toss-up between Moore and Paul Johnson for me. If Paul Johnson was still at Georgia Southern, I'd argue that App probably wouldn't have been so dominant in the latter 20 oh's. After all, we all know that Armanti was committed to GSU before we decided to blow up the program.

I-16Bandit
August 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Erk Russell never coached in the SoCon.

Good point. ;)

StorminASU
August 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Erk Russell never coached in the SoCon. Paul Johnson was 62-10 (86%) with 2 NC and a NC runner-up in 5 seasons, the first of which followed a 4-7 interim coach. Jerry Moore is a SoCon fixture and has coached App to 8+ win seasons 15 of 22 years with 3 NC.

Mike Ayers seems to get more out of what he has than anyone, but his wins don't measure up.

It's a toss-up between Moore and Paul Johnson for me. If Paul Johnson was still at Georgia Southern, I'd argue that App probably wouldn't have been so dominant in the latter 20 oh's. After all, we all know that Armanti was committed to GSU before we decided to blow up the program.

I'm glad you pushed the red button then xsmiley_wix

I also don't think Ayers belongs here just yet, but it was a Wofford fan who posted it so what do you expect.

Appaholic
August 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Hey....where's Lembo?

AppAlum2003
August 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hey....where's Lembo?

He's in the NFL with Scott Ridd.... oh wait, nevermind.

LeadBolt
August 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Since this is in history how about:

Bear Bryant
Frank Howard
Bobby Ross
Marv Levy
Lou Holtz

Much of their best work was outside of SoCon, but they were all SoCon head coaches.

appfan2008
August 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
you guysare leaving the best one out... Wallace Wade... he dominated the Socon at Alabama and then again at Duke!

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Suprised Dick Sheridan wasn't mentioned. Six SoCon championships (more than P. Johnson), coach of the year, and a national championship appearance. He probably deserves a Furman vote over Bobby Johnson.

I-16Bandit
August 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Brian VanGorder.

/thread

OL FU
August 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Jerry Moore
Erk Russell
Bobby Johnson
Paul Johnson
Jimmy Satterfield
Dick Sheridan
Mike Ayers
Bob Waters

Any others?

On of the conundrums of being a Furman Fan. I guaranty that most Furman fans would put the Furman coaches as follows.

Sheridan
Johnson
Satterfield

Sheridan started the roll in what was Furman's greatest period ever. Johnson brought us back from the doldrums of the mid 90s.

and Sattefield is the only one that won a National Championship. Of course the team slid alot after winning it.

If Erk counts, which he doesn't. I would put him on top. But since he doesn't count. I think there are strong arguments for Paul Johnson or Moore being on top. Paul Johnson certainly accomplished alot with out the longevity of Moore. On the other hand GSU didn't dominate the SoCon they way ASU has the last 6 or 7 years.

OL FU
August 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Jerry Moore
Erk Russell
Bobby Johnson
Paul Johnson
Jimmy Satterfield
Dick Sheridan
Mike Ayers
Bob Waters

Any others?

don't know if he belongs on the list but Charlie Taafe (sp) was a hell of a coach. He if could have stayed out from behind the wheel of the car after downing a few, The Citadel guys would have had something to have bragged about.xnodx

appfan2008
August 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Why no mention of Wade???

More socon victories, games and seasons than any other coach other than Moore!

Sir William
August 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Sparky Woods? xsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
August 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM
doh! Erk wasn't in the Socon...and I did mention Sheridan :P I put Ayers as a homer pick, but at the same time if he continues his fortunes he should be on there. 3 of the last 4 years he's finished in the top 2 of the Socon. App State has clearly dominated the conference over the last 6 years, but Wofford has been the clear second best for about 4 of those years (we don't talk about 2009 :P )

Smitty
August 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Actually surprised to see Bob Waters on the list. Glad that he is, just not a lot from Western actually makes a list like this.

AshevilleApp2
August 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Mack Brown? xsmiley_wix

whoanellie
August 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
nice: Lembo got a 1.4 Million dollar pay raise to Ball St. nevermind
He's in the NFL with Scott Ridd.... oh wait, nevermind.

whoanellie
August 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
PeaHead Walker '30's coach at Elon & Wake Forest point Elon was not in SoCon during that time

Eaglesrus
August 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Brian VanGorder.

/thread

You do know that there is a provision for excommunication from Eagle fandom, don't you?

Reign of Terrier
August 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Actually surprised to see Bob Waters on the list. Glad that he is, just not a lot from Western actually makes a list like this.

He took Western to the national title after all lol

blueballs
August 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM
In the modern era- which is all I really care about and I have seen first hand- there is Moore and Johnson then everybody else. It is hard to pick between the two although Johnson won at least 4 of the 6 head to head matchups (I can't remember 1997).

Moore has wonderfully historic accomplishments and Johnson completely dominated in his 5 years, winning the conference and at least 10 games every single year. In fact, 10-3 was his WORST year and the only year he didn't win at least 12 games. Moore won at Michigan and had the three-peat which are both unprecedented and incredible. Moore is a certain College Football HOF pick.

Just for poops and giggles just think of what would have happened had Johnson not left for Navy. GSU had Chaz Williams and Jermaine Austin ready to take over in 2002 and Jayson Foster came along two years later. It is scary to think what could have happened.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM
doh! Erk wasn't in the Socon...and I did mention Sheridan :P I put Ayers as a homer pick, but at the same time if he continues his fortunes he should be on there. 3 of the last 4 years he's finished in the top 2 of the Socon. App State has clearly dominated the conference over the last 6 years, but Wofford has been the clear second best for about 4 of those years (we don't talk about 2009 :P )

While the books are getting a bit dusty, Furman in the 1980s was arguably every bit a powerhouse as App in the 2000's. Certainly, App was 3/3 in the big game, but the Paladins won the SoCon 8 times between 1980 and 1990, and appeared in the National Championship twice.

I don't know if it makes a hill of beans difference to most folks, but Furman was about the only small school in the country putting up those kind of numbers in the 80s. Consider in those days many of today's private schools that have a national footprint in football (Wofford, Villanova, Richmond, Colgate, etc.) really weren't even on the football map nationally. Furman, led by Sheridan and Satterfield, was pretty much on its own.

PaladinNation
August 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I would have to put Sheridan as the top Furman candidate to be considered. You also have to take into account that I believe the Socon's move to 1AA and the playoffs happened in 1982… Sheridan coached teams won the SoCon in 78, 80, and 81.

And Furman and Western had a bitter rivalry back them…the 83 semi-final game was a classic, and was broadcast on ABC not sure if it was regional or national. Wish I could find some video.

blueballs
August 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I would have to put Sheridan as the top Furman candidate to be considered. You also have to take into account that I believe the Socon's move to 1AA and the playoffs happened in 1982… Sheridan coached teams won the SoCon in 78, 80, and 81.

And Furman and Western had a bitter rivalry back them…the 83 semi-final game was a classic, and was broadcast on ABC not sure if it was regional or national. Wish I could find some video.

Sheridan was a helluva coach...

Skjellyfetti
August 29th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Since this is in history how about:

Bear Bryant
Frank Howard
Bobby Ross
Marv Levy
Lou Holtz

Much of their best work was outside of SoCon, but they were all SoCon head coaches.

If you're going to have a historical look at the SoCon... you have to include General Robert Neyland. Had the best resume while in the SoCon of any of those coaches listed. And he is one of the most underrated coaches in college football history. He belongs with Bear Bryant, Knute Rockney, etc. but is always overlooked... and, I don't understand why.

Gen. Robert Neyland, Football (Tennessee, 1926-52) - Neyland compiled an overall record of 173-31-2 as head coach of the Volunteers. He posted a record of 61-2-5 from 1926-32, including a league record of 41-2-5 when the Tennessee competed in the Southern Conference. Tennessee won a share of the conference title in 1927 and 1932. He coached the Volunteers to four national titles and was named to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1956. Tennessee's Shields-Watkins Field was renamed Neyland Stadium in 1962.

http://smokeys-trail.com/HallFame/general-neyland.jpg

Reign of Terrier
August 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
While the books are getting a bit dusty, Furman in the 1980s was arguably every bit a powerhouse as App in the 2000's. Certainly, App was 3/3 in the big game, but the Paladins won the SoCon 8 times between 1980 and 1990, and appeared in the National Championship twice.

I don't know if it makes a hill of beans difference to most folks, but Furman was about the only small school in the country putting up those kind of numbers in the 80s. Consider in those days many of today's private schools that have a national footprint in football (Wofford, Villanova, Richmond, Colgate, etc.) really weren't even on the football map nationally. Furman, led by Sheridan and Satterfield, was pretty much on its own.

+1

The Eagle's Cliff
August 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM
As a team, Furman certainly belongs in "great" discussions. What Paul Johnson did in just 5 years is outrageous and Moore, who was already pretty good, completely re-invented Mountaineer Football in 2004 and has lived off the residuals. The other coaches in the modern era don't compare to those two in terms of Championships.

Erk Russell, though he would never say so, was one of those special people like Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant in that he could motivate young men to give every ounce they had to give, then just a little more. Tubby Raymond may fit that category, but I don't know as much about him. Those kind of coaches go beyond X's and O's in what made them legends.

cmaxwellgsu
August 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Ayers may never get the hardware to be considered the greatest, but I'd argue he's among the most respected. Bringing one of the smallest schools in the division into the conference and building into a contender is a massive undertaking.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Jerry Moore
Erk Russell
Bobby Johnson
Paul Johnson
Jimmy Satterfield
Dick Sheridan
Mike Ayers
Bob Waters

Any others?

You left out Jim Brakefield who led ASU over South Carolina, East Carolina, and Wake Forest in the same season. That was only five years after ASU left the NAIA. His overall record was not good but that year was monumental.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
It's odd that Jerry Moore is mentioned in this thread. There was a large contingent of ASU fans who wanted him fired just a few years ago. Idiots.

CropDuster
August 30th, 2011, 01:35 PM
It's odd that Jerry Moore is mentioned in this thread. There was a large contingent of ASU fans who wanted him fired just a few years ago. Idiots.

Amazing the similarities between GSU and ASU circa 2004/2005, two head coaches that most school would love to have that hadn't been able to get over the final hump. App guys held on and made it pay off with their 3 best seasons in history. GSU threw the baby out with the bath water and brought about the 4 worst seasons in Eagle football.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Amazing the similarities between GSU and ASU circa 2004/2005, two head coaches that most school would love to have that hadn't been able to get over the final hump. App guys held on and made it pay off with their 3 best seasons in history. GSU threw the baby out with the bath water and brought about the 4 worst seasons in Eagle football.

A lot of App fans don't want to admit it, but there was a vocal contingent that wanted Jerry Moore gone (he was old, out of his league, etc.). It turns out that the vocal contingent that wanted Sewak gone was just more pushy.

No team is entitled to win. GSU learned that first hand. I can understand the ire that fans felt after the playoff meltdown against Texas State, but a vocal fanbase essentially set your program back five years. IMO, those lean years (06-09) could have been much worse had Jayson Foster not been on the roster. That kid single handedly kept the Eagle program relevant.

OL FU
August 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM

PM Catamountman. he has it and reminds me he has it every time he sees me.:(

Yank
August 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
A lot of App fans don't want to admit it, but there was a vocal contingent that wanted Jerry Moore gone (he was old, out of his league, etc.). It turns out that the vocal contingent that wanted Sewak gone was just more pushy.

No team is entitled to win. GSU learned that first hand. I can understand the ire that fans felt after the playoff meltdown against Texas State, but a vocal fanbase essentially set your program back five years. IMO, those lean years (06-09) could have been much worse had Jayson Foster not been on the roster. That kid single handedly kept the Eagle program relevant.

Why do fans always think they "make" or "force" decisions about coaches getting fired? Fans had next-to-nothing to do with GSU letting Mike Sewak go.

OL FU
August 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Why do fans always think they "make" or "force" decisions about coaches getting fired? Fans had next-to-nothing to do with GSU letting Mike Sewak go.

I don't know the details of Sewak, but I know that certain fans (large donors in particular) have a hell of a lot to say about it at most schools. Rumor (and it is a rumor) was that Furman had reached out to large donors about facility upgrades and the answer was, sure, when we have a new coach.

mocman1990
August 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
UTC has had 3 really notable coaches in it's history, two being pre-SoCon

Frank Thomas coached for years at UC, going 26-9 with two SIAA titles. He went on to Alabama where he won 2 National Championships and coached Bear Bryant. He is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame

Scrappy Moore followed Thomas and coached at UC for 35 years, winning 170 games (while playing an 3-5 SEC teams a year). He turned down the Alabama job that ultimately went...you guessed it, Bear Bryant. Scrappy is also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame

Joe Morrison was hired in the early 70's to resurrect the UTC football program (one of his star players was current head coach Russ Huesman). Morrison was at the helm of the Mocs when they joined the SoCon for the 1977 seasons. While he was only a SoCon coach for 3 seasons, he won (or shared) the SoCon title all 3 seasons, 26-6-2 overall and 13-3 in the conference. The biggest notch on his resume was a 72-14 drubbing of ASU. Morrison left after the 1979 season for South Carolina and was replaced with "Brother" Bill Oliver.

Of coaches at Chattanooga who actually coached in the SoCon, I would mention Joe Morrison and Bill Oliver.

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM

The Colgate fans might disagree, but I see your point.

ElonPride
August 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Interesting you say that. I brought that up a couple months back and got blasted for it! I remember reading so many posts regarding that topic back in the old I-AA escribe days!

PaladinNation
August 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM

Frank Thomas coached for years at UC, going 26-9 with two SIAA titles. He went on to Alabama where he won 2 National Championships and coached Bear Bryant. He is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame

Scrappy Moore followed Thomas and coached at UC for 35 years, winning 170 games (while playing an 3-5 SEC teams a year). He turned down the Alabama job that ultimately went...you guessed it, Bear Bryant. Scrappy is also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame

Joe Morrison was hired in the early 70's to resurrect the UTC football program (one of his star players was current head coach Russ Huesman). Morrison was at the helm of the Mocs when they joined the SoCon for the 1977 seasons. While he was only a SoCon coach for 3 seasons, he won (or shared) the SoCon title all 3 seasons, 26-6-2 overall and 13-3 in the conference. The biggest notch on his resume was a 72-14 drubbing of ASU. Morrison left after the 1979 season for South Carolina and was replaced with "Brother" Bill Oliver.

Of coaches at Chattanooga who actually coached in the SoCon, I would mention Joe Morrison and Bill Oliver.

I'll give an amen to those guys… UTC was a tough hard nosed team. Furman and UTC battled for the SoCon title during the Sheridan years as well as part of the Satterfield era.

One more sore subject for Furman fans… Satterfield actually had three fantastic years back to back to back, with a little luck Jimmy could have won three titles instead of one. DeBusk blows out his knee in the first round against W&M. Furman runs a limited offense all the way to a semi-final matchup with SF Austin. In a rare snowstorm, Furman loses after going for a two-point conversion at the end of the game to go OT. Before the DeBusk injury I don't think their was a team in 1AA that could have beaten Furman. What really sucks is that SFAustin later had to forfeit that season. In 89, Furman beats EKU on the road, then travels to Nevada and loses a nail biter quarterfinal against Nevado-Reno in triple overtime.

As bad as Satterfield teams were at the end, the first five years they were damn good.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM

That was my point in post 35.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Interesting you say that. I brought that up a couple months back and got blasted for it! I remember reading so many posts regarding that topic back in the old I-AA escribe days!

You're exactly right. Most of those have crawled under a rock but one still posts on here.

seantaylor
August 31st, 2011, 12:14 AM
Paul Johnson. End thread.

Gringer1
August 31st, 2011, 12:20 AM
And all of us "rubes" know better than to argue with seantaylor/eagleskins/johnanthony/1time/lesterm here.

OL FU
August 31st, 2011, 05:51 AM
I'll give an amen to those guys… UTC was a tough hard nosed team. Furman and UTC battled for the SoCon title during the Sheridan years as well as part of the Satterfield era.

One more sore subject for Furman fans… Satterfield actually had three fantastic years back to back to back, with a little luck Jimmy could have won three titles instead of one. DeBusk blows out his knee in the first round against W&M. Furman runs a limited offense all the way to a semi-final matchup with SF Austin. In a rare snowstorm, Furman loses after going for a two-point conversion at the end of the game to go OT. Before the DeBusk injury I don't think their was a team in 1AA that could have beaten Furman. What really sucks is that SFAustin later had to forfeit that season. In 89, Furman beats EKU on the road, then travels to Nevada and loses a nail biter quarterfinal against Nevado-Reno in triple overtime.

As bad as Satterfield teams were at the end, the first five years they were damn good.

The 89 team lost to SFA and the 90 team lost to Nevada, but you are correct. I have always thought the 89 team was Furman's best ever. A rematch against the 89 GSU team in the champ game would have been awesome especially since that was an undefeated team for them ( I believe)

appfan2008
August 31st, 2011, 06:17 AM
I will keep going back to Wallace Wade who ran national powerhouse programs at Alabama and at Duke while in the southern conference... no one seems to care...

OL FU
August 31st, 2011, 06:28 AM
I will keep going back to Wallace Wade who ran national powerhouse programs at Alabama and at Duke while in the southern conference... no one seems to care...

I don't think it is that no one cares or that it isn't relevant. It is. But most people are focused on 1982 forward.

appfan2008
August 31st, 2011, 06:32 AM
I don't think it is that no one cares or that it isn't relevant. It is. But most people are focused on 1982 forward.

I am glad someone finally said so... in that case Jerry Moore is my choice... if you go entire socon history... it would be wade and moore

OL FU
August 31st, 2011, 06:42 AM
I am glad someone finally said so... in that case Jerry Moore is my choice... if you go entire socon history... it would be wade and moore

:) Well the thread title says historyxnodx

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2011, 07:21 AM

I felt much the same in 2005. It was just a shame that the national title game got played in Boone in the semis and not at Findley in the finals.

chattanoogamocs
August 31st, 2011, 04:55 PM

Most of the younger people on this board probably have no recollection of Morrison and how good Chattanooga was back then (they dominated a number of teams that are now FBS, like MTSU, WKU, La Tech, Bowling Green, etc). The amazing thing about Morrison is, he had never coached a game in his life when he came to Chattanooga. He literally played his final season with the New York Jets and was then hired to coach the Mocs (that kind of thing would probably never happen now). He also brought Rick Kotite with him (and then added Bill Oliver). That ended up being a LOT of major college/NFL coaching talent.

I hate that people under the age of 30 only associate Chattanooga with mediocrity (because that is all they have seen). While dear ole U of C may not have the championships like GSU and ASU (and Furman), over their 100+ year history, I would argue they have one of the more storied histories of the current SoCon membership (while a number of SoCon teams where NAIA, the Mocs were playing multiple SEC/ACC team each year...with a number of them visiting Chattanooga). Chattanooga didn't win a lot of those David and Goliath matchups, but they did win their fair share.

Hopefully in another decade, we will be arguing about Russ Huesman vs Jerry Moore and Paul Johnson (etal) as the best to coach in the SoCon. A long suffering Moc fan can always dream! :)

AppMan
August 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM
You're exactly right. Most of those have crawled under a rock but one still posts on here.

How about telling everyone who you think that might be JC.

AppMan
August 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM

Sparky Woods was a heck of a coach and a major factor in where ASU's program is today. He and Mack Brown changed the mind set at ASU after the Mike Working disaster. In five years Sparky won two conference championships, ASU's first, and finished second another year. He won 67% of his games (74% the last four years) and was two time SoCon Coach of the year. He took ASU to its first two 1-AA playoff appearances, making it to the semi finals the second trip in 87. A humble guy with a lot of class many think had Sparky stayed at ASU he would have won the NC in 1989. That team would have been loaded.

AppMan
August 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Most of the younger people on this board probably have no recollection of Morrison and how good Chattanooga was back then (they dominated a number of teams that are now FBS, like MTSU, WKU, La Tech, Bowling Green, etc). The amazing thing about Morrison is, he had never coached a game in his life when he came to Chattanooga. He literally played his final season with the New York Jets and was then hired to coach the Mocs (that kind of thing would probably never happen now). He also brought Rick Kotite with him (and then added Bill Oliver). That ended up being a LOT of major college/NFL coaching talent.

I hate that people under the age of 30 only associate Chattanooga with mediocrity (because that is all they have seen). While dear ole U of C may not have the championships like GSU and ASU (and Furman), over their 100+ year history, I would argue they have one of the more storied histories of the current SoCon membership (while a number of SoCon teams where NAIA, the Mocs were playing multiple SEC/ACC team each year...with a number of them visiting Chattanooga). Chattanooga didn't win a lot of those David and Goliath matchups, but they did win their fair share.

Hopefully in another decade, we will be arguing about Russ Huesman vs Jerry Moore and Paul Johnson (etal) as the best to coach in the SoCon. A long suffering Moc fan can always dream! :)

Morrison had some great teams at UTC and the Mocs were always tough at Chamberlin Field. That was a tough walk to the stadium from the old gym for the opposing teams. The stadiums today just don't have the charm of the old places.

UCMoc
August 31st, 2011, 09:56 PM
Morrison had some great teams at UTC and the Mocs were always tough at Chamberlin Field. That was a tough walk to the stadium from the old gym for the opposing teams. The stadiums today just don't have the charm of the old places.

It hurts to hear you say that as they finish taking down the last of Chamberlain this week.
Photos:
http://http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_207892.asp

Catatonic
August 31st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Brian VanGorder.

/thread

+1lmao

JRCA
August 31st, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have a great deal of respect for the coaches mentioned in this thread, great coaches all. I have a great admiration for Coach Ayers at Wofford, I think he has done a remarkable job with maybe a lot less resources than some of the other coaches. He may not have won the big one yet; but year in year out, you have to watch out for the Terriers. I also have a ton of respect for the coaches that stay for such a long time at their school, I am sure most of the guys could have moved up the pay scale had that been their main motivation. Guys like Coaches Moore and Ayers and the others that spent long tenures are loyal to their schools, and I respect and admire that quality. I believe form all that I have read, Coach Russell was just an amazing man, and a heck of a football coach on top of being a fine man.

Now my hope is that in 10 or 15 years we will be able to name an Elon coach among the elite of the conference. Elon has had some fine coaches in it's football history such as "Red' Wilson and Jerry Tolley. I believe Jerry Tolley to be one of the finest men I have ever come in contact with., but those were our pre-DI years. Hopefully The Phoenix (Fighting Christians in my heart) will continue to improve under a honorable Coach. I have been impressed with our new coach, Jason Swepson. He has done the right thing and has said the right stuff. I wish him great success as he becomes the 20th head coach at Elon University. I can't wait for the season to start with a bang in Nashville against Vanderbilt.

straightshooter
August 31st, 2011, 10:23 PM
All right. Let's cut to the chase here. It would be very difficult to find any SoCon coach who had the same success as Paul Johnson. Some will argue that he only coached in the SoCon for five seasons, but what a run he had in those five years. He inherited a 4-7 team and posted the following stats:

Georgia Southern Head Coach - 1997-2001 - Record was 62-10 - .861 winning percentage

Coached GSU for 5 seasons - GSU won 5 straight SoCon Championships

1997 - Playoffs
1998 - National Championship Runner-Up
1999 - National Champion
2000 - National Champion
2001 - National Semi-Finalist

1998 - Eddie Robinson Award Winner as National1-AA Coach of the Year
1999 - AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) 1-AA National Coach of the Year
2000 - AFCA 1-AA National Coach of the Year

Teams won a 1-AA national record 39 consecutive home games

Team set 379 team, SoCon, stadium, national playoff records

Coached 31 1-AA All-Americans at GSU

Johnson's teams won the SoCon every year he was head coach, won two national titles, one national runner-up and one semi-final appearance in his 5 years at GSU. No one can touch that in their SoCon coaching career.

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2011, 01:27 AM

The visiting team had to use the locker rooms across the street at Big Mac...and the home team had to separate their offense and defense in to two locker rooms, because neither were big enough for a full team (though they were "spacious" by 1920 standards :))

Honestly, by the late 80's, it was a dump...but it was a beautiful and historic dump...and will be greatly missed.

I have a brick sitting on my desk right now that I "acquired" this week from the demolition (it will go right next to the one I got when they tore down the north stands 5 years ago)

OL FU
September 1st, 2011, 06:15 AM
All right. Let's cut to the chase here. It would be very difficult to find any SoCon coach who had the same success as Paul Johnson. Some will argue that he only coached in the SoCon for five seasons, but what a run he had in those five years. He inherited a 4-7 team and posted the following stats:

Georgia Southern Head Coach - 1997-2001 - Record was 62-10 - .861 winning percentage

Coached GSU for 5 seasons - GSU won 5 straight SoCon Championships

1997 - Playoffs
1998 - National Championship Runner-Up
1999 - National Champion
2000 - National Champion
2001 - National Semi-Finalist

1998 - Eddie Robinson Award Winner as National1-AA Coach of the Year
1999 - AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) 1-AA National Coach of the Year
2000 - AFCA 1-AA National Coach of the Year

Teams won a 1-AA national record 39 consecutive home games

Team set 379 team, SoCon, stadium, national playoff records

Coached 31 1-AA All-Americans at GSU

Johnson's teams won the SoCon every year he was head coach, won two national titles, one national runner-up and one semi-final appearance in his 5 years at GSU. No one can touch that in their SoCon coaching career.

I think I had forgotten. Thanks for reminding mexrolleyesx:)

honestly, I do think I had forgotten. That is pretty impressive. xnodx