PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern 30th Anniversary

The Eagle's Cliff
August 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I was just a youngun, but I remember it well as I was a big fan of Herschel Walker, Erk Russell, and the Dawgs.

One of the great sources of pride I have for Georgia Southern is that we are considered to belong on the "Mount Rushmore of I-AA Football" as another thread noted and yet there only a handful of DI schools whose programs are younger than ours.

Here's an article written by one of Georgia Southern College's 1981 walk-ons:

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2011-08-27/gsu-football-started-small-erk-russell-built-powerhouse

FormerPokeCenter
August 28th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Fantastic article. xbowx Note to Georgia State fans xrulesxxrulesx THIS is how you do it. You work hard, do right, you get after their *** and you play with integrity. You don't mouth off to everybody ALL the freaking time.xnonox

Stuff like this is why Georgia Southern gets the respect they get from the rest of the FCS universe and why you probably never will...

Either you read an article like this and you "get it" or you don't...

Those of us who get it, pity those of you who don't....

wmtribe1693
August 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
FPC,
No chance of getting through to State fans. They are certain they are too good for the FCS with their big city media market and all. They still don't get that the Boise State's of the FCS had to win, build a solid fan base, and then try the FBS. Boise State is not in a big media market and they are a smaller FBS school; quite the opposite of GA State. Yet, look at them now; top 10 FBS program. Go figure.

Tuscon
August 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Fantastic article. xbowx Note to Georgia State fans xrulesxxrulesx THIS is how you do it. You work hard, do right, you get after their *** and you play with integrity. You don't mouth off to everybody ALL the freaking time.xnonox

Stuff like this is why Georgia Southern gets the respect they get from the rest of the FCS universe and why you probably never will...

Either you read an article like this and you "get it" or you don't...

Those of us who get it, pity those of you who don't....

No need to bring us into this.

That's a great article. Very cool to read about your humble beginnings.

FormerPokeCenter
August 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
No need to bring us into this.

That's a great article. Very cool to read about your humble beginnings.

Oh my GOSH! Where's my calendar! Holy First of it's kind, Batman! A Georgia Southern thread that Panther fans don't want to be a part of!

Let me mark this date down for posterity's sake!!!

LUatic
August 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Very nice read. Lots of respect for the fanbase and program. I admire GSU's success from it's humble beginnings.

eaglesrback
August 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
A true Cinderella story if there ever was one. And everything you hear about Erk Russell is true. One of the finest coaches and men that I ever had the pleasure to know. The saga continues in Erk Russell's shadow.

Tuscon
August 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
As a Bulldog fan second, I definitely respect Erk Russell a lot for the traditions he gave to my program as well. With his bloodied forehead and Junkyard Dawgs.

GSU EAGLES
August 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Check out the video at the bottom of the page within the link. Classic Erk at his retirement ceremony. Not many Erk Russell's come around often.

http://www.eaglesforerk.org/

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Fantastic. Erk Russell is what college football should be all about. It has always been my pleasure to watch the man whether he was speaking or coaching.

He is a benchmark that other legends should be measured by.

GaSouthern
August 29th, 2011, 06:18 AM
This was a great read!

appfan2008
August 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
30 years of great football... way to go GSU!