PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Preseason Power Rankings

JALMOND
August 28th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Finally the end of summer and football is around the corner. With Eastern Washington's victory in the national championship game, the trophy is resting in the Big Sky. Still, a return for the Eagles will not be easy as they can expect stiff challenges from both Montana State and (surprise) Sacramento State, and also those big bad Montana Grizzlies are lurking as well. Here are the preseason power rankings for the Big Sky conference. All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. Let's play some football.

1. Eastern Washington Eagles---Last year the Eagles rode the improved play from their offense and their strong defense all the way to a victory in the national championship game. This year may be tough with the loss of their strong running back and the improved play of the teams behind them. They do get both Montana schools out of the way early. Whether that is a good thing remains to be seen. Meanwhile, they start this Saturday with a trip to the Pac-12 Washington.

2. Montana State Bobcats---The Bobcats are smarting from their lackluster effort in the playoffs, but they do have confidence knowing they were the only FCS team to beat Eastern Washington. The experience gained from last year should bolster their hopes this year and set up an interesting run for the title. Conference play may be tough and opening up with Eastern Washington is a daunting task, but the Bobcats do have three nonconference games before that, starting with a Thursday night game at Pac-12 newcomer Utah.

3. Montana Grizzlies---The Grizzlies are eager to put the disappointment of missing out of the playoffs last year behind them and get back to the pedestal they think they deserve. However, this may be a daunting task with a lack of experience in the backfield. Their strong defense will have to carry the team through the first half. The schedule is not as easy either, starting with a game this Saturday at SEC foe Tennessee. The Grizzlies are used to big crowds, but maybe not 100,000 hostile fans.

4. Sacramento State Hornets---After a great season last year by their standards, the Hornets are feeling pretty good leading to this year, so much that some have them contending for the title. Not too bad for a team that many teams had a "W" penciled in on their schedule recently. Strong quarterback play and a punishing running game will do that. It would be quite an accomplishment as those ahead of them are definitely no pushovers. What could be a magical season starts Saturday on the road at Pac-12's Oregon State.

5. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---Once again, a playoff berth was expected for the Lumberjacks last year and once again late season losses, this time to both Sacramento State and Weber State, did them in. Now after losing their big time quarterback, the Jacks are looking for someone to lead them. There is still enough here for them to throw a scare into some teams. Their season also begins on the road on Saturday at Pac-12's Arizona.

6. Weber State Wildcats---Recent history had the Wildcats making some serious noise in the conference title race. Then last year they had some holes to fill and now this year, they have even bigger holes to fill, losing their all-world quarterback and their top-flight rusher. If anyone needs someone to step up, it is definitely the Wildcats. They need to find someone in a hurry as they move up a level Saturday and play at the Mountain West's Wyoming. In years past, the Wildcats could make this interesting. Now, maybe not so much.

7. Idaho State Bengals---In the offseason, the Bengals may have improved themselves without an impact recruit. They welcomed Mike Kramer, who has changed the fortunes of both Eastern Washington and Montana State in years past. Ironically, for a basement dweller, there is talent here and a good chance to make at least a small wimper this year. They will start the year on the road at Pac-12's Washington State. Sometime in the future with Kramer, the Bengals could possibly make this interesting.

8. Portland State Vikings---What seemed like a lost year last year for the Vikings was actually highlighted by the fact that they were competitive in most of the games they played. With a bunch of players returning on both sides of the ball, maybe they can make some noise this year. By all accounts, however, this team is still a year away from contending, but that does not mean they will be a pushover this year. Teams will have to come to play and the Vikings have a renovated stadium to show off these games. First game in the new stadium is this Saturday against the NAIA's Southern Oregon team. No multiple FCS games is a welcome sight, but the Vikings need to show improvement.

9. Northern Colorado Bears---As Idaho State hopes to escape from the cellar, the Bears seem doomed to fall into it. There are some good players on both sides, but to be good on the Bears as compared to the upper echelon teams in the conference are two different things. A new coach and a new system will take time to come to fruition. Perhaps an easy game to start the year off the right way has the Bears welcoming DII Lindenwood on Saturday. Rome wasn't built in a day and the rebuilding here won't happen overnight, but some good performances are expected for future success.

BlueGoldAg
August 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Sac State's coach, Marshall Sperbeck, has done a remarkable job in turning around the the Hornets' football program. I think they could be a real sleeper in the BSC this year. I can't wait until next year when the conference expands to include UC Davis, Cal Poly, Southern Utah and UND. The preseason power rankings will be even more uncertain then.

I Bleed Purple
August 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Every year, NAU has a good team that should, theoretically, contend for at least a playoff spot, and every year they flame out. That alone should put them behind Weber.

Sac State's coach, Marshall Sperbeck, has done a remarkable job in turning around the the Hornets' football program. I think they could be a real sleeper in the BSC this year. I can't wait until next year when the conference expands to include UC Davis, Cal Poly, Southern Utah and UND. The preseason power rankings will be even more uncertain then.

Except we all know that Idaho State will always be near the bottom.

EdubAlum
August 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Been waiting for this thread:-)

appfan2008
August 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
gonna be a top heavy league this year... I dont see UM, MSU or EWU losing to anyone but each other and all three will make the playoffs...

Grizzaholic
August 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
gonna be a top heavy league this year... I dont see UM, MSU or EWU losing to anyone but each other and all three will make the playoffs...

While I don't share your optimism...I hope you are correct.

wapiti
August 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Your ranking looks ok to me. I could easily see some shakeups after the first two weeks of games.
The top four teams may swap around, the middle two and the bottom three.

It will be interesting to see how this has changed after two to three games for each team.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
August 29th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Would love to see Northern Arizona finish last in this league. Can think of a few SlumberJack-Off fans that need to be humbled. NAU doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning their conference.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM

there is so much to be stoked about there, and Sperbeck has done a solid job with bringing the Hornets back together. the Big Sky is now vying for the strongest-conference title and adding UC Davis and Cal Poly will only add to that strength.