PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra FINALLY releases schedule

Uncle Buck
April 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
All that waiting and only four home games. I feel cheated.

Thursday, August 31 at Stony Brook University 07:00 PM
Saturday, September 09 at Marshall University 04:30 PM
Saturday, September 23 vs Towson University
Saturday, September 30 at College of William & Mary 01:00 PM
Saturday, October 07 vs Villanova University
Saturday, October 14 at University of Delaware 12:00 PM
Saturday, October 21 at University of Maine 02:00 PM
Saturday, October 28 at University of New Hampshire 12:00 PM
Saturday, November 04 vs University of Rhode Island
Saturday, November 11 vs Northeastern Universiy
Saturday, November 18 at University of Massachusetts 12:00 PM

Fordham
April 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Didn't realize until seeing this that you A10'ers get only 2 OOC games, huh?

What's up with the Thursday night start at Stony Brook? Will that be televised? I'm surprised to see so many away games. Any reason for that? Particularly suprising to see you take an away game for Stony Brook. Thought they'd definitely travel (albeit not too far) to you guys instead.

blukeys
April 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Didn't realize until seeing this that you A10'ers get only 2 OOC games, huh?

What's up with the Thursday night start at Stony Brook? Will that be televised? I'm surprised to see so many away games. Any reason for that? Particularly suprising to see you take an away game for Stony Brook. Thought they'd definitely travel (albeit not too far) to you guys instead.

The 10-14-06 game at Delaware is an out of conference game. A-10 teams get 8 conference games and 3 OOC. Since not all A-10 teams play each other every year, teams who are not scheduled as conference opponents can schedule each other and the games do not count as a conference game. Yes, it is strange and many don't like the arrangement.

Fordham
April 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
ah, thanks. I actually remember seeing that mentioned previously but forgot it. Thanks for the reminder.

89Hen
April 3rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
All that waiting and only four home games. I feel cheated.

Thursday, August 31 at Stony Brook University 07:00 PM
Saturday, September 09 at Marshall University 04:30 PM
Saturday, October 14 at University of Delaware 12:00 PM
I don't blame you for feeling that way. Not sure how in the world HU agreed to play all three OOC games away in the same year.

89Hen
April 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
The 10-14-06 game at Delaware is an out of conference game. A-10 teams get 8 conference games and 3 OOC. Since not all A-10 teams play each other every year, teams who are not scheduled as conference opponents can schedule each other and the games do not count as a conference game. Yes, it is strange and many don't like the arrangement.
We did have a year or two in there when the A10 teams did have 9 conference games and only 2 OOC (the year Hofstra came in and before Towson added).

Uncle Buck
April 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Not sure why the Thursday, but I figure that we were home against Stony Brook last year and this year we return the favor.

As for the OOC games, technically UD counts as a non-conference tilt as well.

Last, the road game dilemma, I can't even begin to explain or understand it.

89Hen
April 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
As for the OOC games, technically UD counts as a non-conference tilt as well. Why it works that way I have no idea.
Because we asked and you agreed. Shame on both parties IMO. : smh :

BTW, I have no problem with you playing at Stony, they've put a lot of money into their facility. It's just bad timing given the other two games on the road.

Uncle Buck
April 3rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
I just revised that statement. I had to take a phone call and when i submitted my response, I saw your answers. I guess we like the UD program and level of competition. I just can't understand so few home games. We had 5 H and 6 A last year, now 4 and 7, sheesh.

Engineer91
April 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM

I only got confused when you used to have two teams playing from the same confernece and it counted as a conference game for one team but an OOC game for the other team. :eek:

Lehigh Football Nation
April 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
It continues to astound me that Hofstra would rather take an OOC game at Delaware rather than schedule one of FIVE local schools that you've got to believe would jump at the chance for an away game against the Pride:

Fordham
Wagner
Monmouth
Iona
Columbia

I realize that these schools are not I-AA title contenders, and Hofstra is already playing (local university) Stony Brook, but this is ridiculous.

colgate13
April 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
It continues to astound me that Hofstra wouldrather take an OOC game at Delaware rather than schedule one of FIVE local schools that you've got to believe would jump at the chance for an away game against the Pride:

Hofstra
Wagner
Monmouth
Iona
Columbia

How's Hofstra scheduling themself? :p

Did you mean Fordham? :confused:

OL FU
April 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM

Spring Game:nod: the problem is you start out 1-1:eek:

Lehigh Football Nation
April 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM

I did mean Fordham. My wife and son have been in all week with the stomach flu, so that means the 18 combined hours of sleep over the past 7 days are finally taking their toll. :rotateh:

89Hen
April 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
It continues to astound me that Hofstra would rather take an OOC game at Delaware rather than schedule one of FIVE local schools that you've got to believe would jump at the chance for an away game against the Pride
My only guess is...

Delaware 22,177
Hofstra 5,263

Lehigh Football Nation
April 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
My only guess is...

Delaware 22,177
Hofstra 5,263

You're saying that Delaware's guarantee is better than any amount that Hofstra manages to get at home?

This could be true, incidentally.

My point is when Maine and New Hampshire does it, it's more understandable since they may not want to fly to a game and unless you want to play Harvard, Holy Cross or Dartmouth, you can't get an OOC game. But for Hofstra that is categorically not true.

If Hofstra *has* to do this to keep their athletics budget in order, I'd be wondering about the health of their sports program altogether, though with a CAA team in the Final Four this year, they will be getting a nice guarantee.

89Hen
April 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
You're saying that Delaware's guarantee is better than any amount that Hofstra manages to get at home?

I don't know the answer to this, but I'd have to believe it's close if it's not that way.

blukeys
April 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Not sure why the Thursday, but I figure that we were home against Stony Brook last year and this year we return the favor.

Thursday night games make a lot of sense attendance wise on the weekend before Labor Day. Everybody can catch the game then still get a weekend at the beach.

mainejeff
April 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM

My point is when Maine and New Hampshire does it, it's more understandable since they may not want to fly to a game and unless you want to play Harvard, Holy Cross or Dartmouth, you can't get an OOC game. But for Hofstra that is categorically not true.

If Hofstra *has* to do this to keep their athletics budget in order, I'd be wondering about the health of their sports program altogether, though with a CAA team in the Final Four this year, they will be getting a nice guarantee.

Maine doesn't do it. Correction.....we have one scheduled at Youngstown this season (but we are flying).

By the way, does anyone know Maine's schedule? They are now the last team in the A-10 to release their schedule.

PapaBear
April 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
By the way, does anyone know Maine's schedule? They are now the last team in the A-10 to release their schedule.

The opener against a DII (Lock Haven, I believe) caved in. So they're still looking. But so far ...

9/2 ?? likely an OOC at Alfond
9/9 @ YSU
9/16 @ W&M (night?)
9/23 ?? likely an OOC
9/30 @ Boston College
10/7 @ Towson
10/14 Nova at Alfond
10/21 Hofstra at Alfond
10/28? I'm guessing @ URI?
11/4 Northeastern @ Alfond
11/11 @ Umass
11/18 UNH at Alfond

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 3rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
PapaBear,

According to the URI schedule on their web site, 10/28 is indeed Maine at URI.

Also, based on the rotating schedules with the A-10 South schools, Maine has a game against Villanova which would probably be your 9/23 game. Nova is grouped with Towson and W&M. I didn't look at the Nova schedule to determine whether your game is at Alfond or on the Main Line.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 3rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
PapaBear,

According to the schedule on the URI web site, 10/28 is Maine at URI.

With the eight A-10 games and OOC games at YSU and BC, then I'm guessing you're looking at one OOC game on either 9/2 or 9/23. Unless of course you know the 12 game schedule is going to be approved! ;)

blukeys
April 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
It continues to astound me that Hofstra would rather take an OOC game at Delaware rather than schedule one of FIVE local schools that you've got to believe would jump at the chance for an away game against the Pride:

Fordham
Wagner
Monmouth
Iona
Columbia

I realize that these schools are not I-AA title contenders, and Hofstra is already playing (local university) Stony Brook, but this is ridiculous.

One reason obviously is financial. This cannot be overrated. I think a game at Delaware works well for Hofstra.

I think just as important though is the relationship that HU and UD have developed in all sports through the years.

UD PRES. Rozelle has made it his mission to get UD in an athletic conference where the schools can be competitiive in all sports. He has stated that he wants relationships with similar sized schools that are at UD's compeitive level in all sports.

W&M and JMU are probably in the top tier of that priority system with Hofstra just below it. Hofstra and UD have a history of football going back to the 60's and compete well in all other sports (at one time we were even great rivals in Men's basketball:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: )

If a mutually agreeable situation works out with Hofstra they will probably get the nod. With Dave Cohen at the helm in Long Island, I would not be surprised to see this come up again.

mainejeff
April 3rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
The opener against a DII (Lock Haven, I believe) caved in. So they're still looking.

That's just great. Looks like Cosgrove just placed the open date on the AFCA website on 3/14.......good luck to him filling a date this late in the game. Why the heck did the Lock Haven game fall through? Why aren't we scheduling a I-AA NEC or MAAC team at home to begin with?

I wonder if this would have happened if Maine had a permanent AD at the helm?:mad:

blukeys
April 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
That's just great. Looks like Cosgrove just placed the open date on the AFCA website on 3/14.......good luck to him filling a date this late in the game. Why the heck did the Lock Haven game fall through? Why aren't we scheduling a I-AA NEC or MAAC team at home to begin with?

I wonder if this would have happened if Maine had a permanent AD at the helm?:mad:

Jeff, Who is the current AD? In fairness to Cosgrove, Scheduling has never been a coaching responsibility.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
On the NEC web site, only Albany, Stony Brook and St. Francis (PA) have their 2006 schedules announced. Maybe you can entice Central CT, Wagner, or Monmouth up to Orono? Talk to Ace, maybe he knows what's up with their scheduling.

Dartmouth might not be the strongest Ivy, but it sure is nice having that home and home series in the UNH OOC schedule every year -- rivalry game for state bragging rights, bus game with low costs, lots of statewide publicity (print and TV), etc. Same for Rhody with Brown. It will be interesting to see if Albany and Stony Brook become frequent OOC opponents in the coming years. It's not a slam dunk when Stony Brook can get Hofstra to come to their place and Albany schedules short bus trips to Cornell, Colgate and gets home and home series with Hofstra.

mainejeff
April 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Jeff, Who is the current AD? In fairness to Cosgrove, Scheduling has never been a coaching responsibility.

Blake James is the "Interim AD". I know, that's why I was shocked to see Cosgrove as the contact person on the AFCA site when all other open dates refer to their ADs.

PapaBear
April 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM
PapaBear,

According to the schedule on the URI web site, 10/28 is Maine at URI.

With the eight A-10 games and OOC games at YSU and BC, then I'm guessing you're looking at one OOC game on either 9/2 or 9/23. Unless of course you know the 12 game schedule is going to be approved! ;)

You're right. They're probably shooting for a bye on 9/23, and trying to fill opening day 9/2. Mainejeff noticed the open date posted.

MJ, I was thinking the same thing about the "interim" AD mess, when my son told me about Lock Haven falling thru. They really need to get that spot filled.

Good luck to the Black Bears Thursday night in Frozen Four semis!

aceinthehole
April 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM
On the NEC web site, only Albany, Stony Brook and St. Francis (PA) have their 2006 schedules announced. Maybe you can entice Central CT, Wagner, or Monmouth up to Orono? Talk to Ace, maybe he knows what's up with their scheduling.

Dartmouth might not be the strongest Ivy, but it sure is nice having that home and home series in the UNH OOC schedule every year -- rivalry game for state bragging rights, bus game with low costs, lots of statewide publicity (print and TV), etc. Same for Rhody with Brown. It will be interesting to see if Albany and Stony Brook become frequent OOC opponents in the coming years. It's not a slam dunk when Stony Brook can get Hofstra to come to their place and Albany schedules short bus trips to Cornell, Colgate and gets home and home series with Hofstra.

MJ - personally I would love to have CCSU visit Maine in FB, especially if we could get the Black Bears to take a 2 for 1 in MBB :)

This year CCSU is set (I hate our OOC game at St. Peter's), but with a new coaching staff, I'd wouldn't want to play you guys this seaon anway. Who know's maybe we'd travel up there next season.

mainejeff
April 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM
MJ - personally I would love to have CCSU visit Maine in FB, especially if we could get the Black Bears to take a 2 for 1 in MBB :)

This year CCSU is set (I hate our OOC game at St. Peter's), but with a new coaching staff, I'd wouldn't want to play you guys this seaon anway. Who know's maybe we'd travel up there next season.

You know, if CCSU would promise one of those slots in the Mohegan Sun Tourney to Maine, then I bet a football/ 2 for 1 basketabll deal could be worked out........let your AD know, but good luck contacting our AD.......:( .

Uncle Buck
April 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Fordham
Wagner
Monmouth
Iona
Columbia

In addition to what Blukeys said about money, HU seemed to take a lot of heat for scheduling Stony Brook and Albany last year as two of three OOC games and Furman being the other. HU and UD have started a nice little rivalry and i guess is works out moneywise as well. HU going to SBU might also have something to do with Jim Fiore the current SBU AD being a Hofstra alum and former football player. For the sake of getting another home game, I for one would not have liked seeing anyone on that list other than maybe Fordham who we used to regularly schedule.

Fordham
April 6th, 2006, 10:07 AM
We'd like to see it too, Uncle Buck. Hopefully we can it back on the skid soon.

Uncle Buck
April 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I liked having fordham on the schedule and think it's a good local NY game. We had them for years and as we moved to the A-10 they came off. I'd like to see them show up again.