PDA

View Full Version : Montana at Tennessee Official Game Thread

bonarae
August 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Last FBS-FCS game thread that I'll create.

About the series
---
First ever meeting (Tennessee vs. any Big Sky opponent).

About Tennessee
---
Will their youth surpass Montana's experience?
Can their speed leave the Griz defense dazed?
Will this be a blowout? (I think it will be.)

Discuss.

Squealofthepig
August 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Their youth is also pretty big. Montana has some big boys, but in the 300 pound plus linemen category, they have about twice as many as Montana (17 vs. 9). For smashmouth d from the SEC, it looks like Tennessee may be able to wear the Griz down on both sides of the ball.

Tennessee is coming off a very disappointing and, with their bowl loss, a losing season. They're opening at home, they're very aware that an FCS team can knock off a power team (even if Tennessee is nowhere near a power currently), and I think they're taking the Griz seriously.

Montana is coming off a disappointing (by our standards) season, failing to make the playoffs in Pflugrad's first year as coach (breaking an insanely long streak). And while spring practice had a lot of positive buzz, the whole team is a bit of a question mark, especially given the insane number of dumb turnovers we committed last year, after years of generally taking care of the ball and getting turnovers at opportune times.

This should be a good game for the Griz to start, as it will really give them an idea of exactly how strong their offensive line is (it really should be one of their best in years). If the Griz can get a few turnovers early and take an early lead, they may have a chance. While I think they'll play close in the first half, ultimately I see Tennessee blowing it open in the third and coasting through the fourth.

(I'm just happy to see the Griz finally get a game with a BCS team - we spent way too many years adding D2 teams to fill out our schedule, which I think hurt us, experience/grit wise, in a few playoff games).

GunsAndGuitars
August 23rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
(I'm just happy to see the Griz finally get a game with a BCS team - we spent way too many years adding D2 teams to fill out our schedule, which I think hurt us, experience/grit wise, in a few playoff games). xnodx

I see Montana putting up a fight. It's not all about experience, talent, size, strength, and speed. Sometimes it's just about who wants it. I think UT will win, but blowouts aren't automatic.

bonarae
August 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
(I'm just happy to see the Griz finally get a game with a BCS team - we spent way too many years adding D2 teams to fill out our schedule, which I think hurt us, experience/grit wise, in a few playoff games).

Alright, can the Ivy do the same with scheduling the Midwest/South/West playoff-participating FCS teams as well as BCS teams? Army (for Yale) is a great but not quite a good gauge.

xnodx

I see Montana putting up a fight. It's not all about experience, talent, size, strength, and speed. Sometimes it's just about who wants it. I think UT will win, but blowouts aren't automatic.

Yes, we can, but depth is really an issue here. They will wear us out.

appfan2008
August 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I look forward to this game... GO MONTANA!... represent FCS!

PantherRob82
August 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Anyone have any extra tix for this game? Debating the best way to go about getting some.

UNH Fanboi
August 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I hope the Griz make a big comeback this year (and the fact that a 7-4 season requires a "comeback" for them says a lot about the program). The playoffs are not the same without them.

bojeta
August 25th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Next to Cal Poly beating San Diego State, this is my next most desirable FCS over FBS game. Go GRIZ!!!!!

UCMoc
August 25th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Anyone have any extra tix for this game? Debating the best way to go about getting some.

You will have no issues getting tickets on the street in Knoxville (for much less than face value). You could find them cheaply on stubhub as well.

bonarae
August 30th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Bumping it just in time...

PantherRob82
August 30th, 2011, 07:20 PM
You will have no issues getting tickets on the street in Knoxville (for much less than face value). You could find them cheaply on stubhub as well.

Went with StubHub. Got some great seats cheap.

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Rocky Top youll always be home sweet home to meee. Good Ole Rocky top, Rocky top tennessee

bonarae
September 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Lightning has delayed the start of this game. :(

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
7-0 Tennessee 12:47 1stquarter

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Tennessee 14 Montana 0 8:36 1st quarter

Mr. C
September 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
For those of you who might be interested, I am in the press box at Neyland Stadium and am blogging for College Sporting News on the Montana game. Come visit us at:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?159-Montana-at-Tennessee&bt=1645

Mr. C
September 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Tennessee 14 Montana 0 8:36 1st quarter

Two big secondary mistakes led to the touchdowns, the first coming one play after a fumbled punt by the Griz on a flea flicker.

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Tennessee 21 Montana 0 11:09 2nd

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Tennessee 28 Montana 7 1:53 2nd

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Tennessee 35 Montana 9 12:12 3rd

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Tennessee 42 Montana 9 9:10 4th

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Tennessee 42 Montana 16 6:04 4th

veinup
September 3rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
go griz.

chattownmocs
September 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
42-16 final. Montana Aqcuitted themselves nicely. Hardly the competition some of the griz fans expected.

veinup
September 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
can anybody give a quick recap? i can't read. who played qb for UM?

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
I thought the Griz looked better than the score showed. A couple key mistakes, but all around, I think the Griz are back in form.

veinup
September 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I thought the Griz looked better than the score showed. A couple key mistakes, but all around, I think the Griz are back in form.

way, way too early to say that.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 03:02 PM
way, way too early to say that.
No it isn't. We are making a few mistakes but what he is saying is that we played some good solid football against a very good team. Our DLine was flat out good against some SEC monsters, our O is working much better than I expected it would in this game and although there is likely to be some personel switching in the next few weeks at RB all of those guys look like they can do a pretty good job in this offense.

The penalties were not as prevalent as they were last year which I kind of expected us to still have some trouble with so that makes me happy that the young'ns are picking up the system well.

He isn't saying we're gonna necessarily beat some of the other heavyweights in the conference but we are looking like we know what we are doing which we did not a lot of the time last year.

UCMoc
September 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
No it isn't. We are making a few mistakes but what he is saying is that we played some good solid football against a very good team. Our DLine was flat out good against some SEC monsters, our O is working much better than I expected it would in this game and although there is likely to be some personel switching in the next few weeks at RB all of those guys look like they can do a pretty good job in this offense.

The penalties were not as prevalent as they were last year which I kind of expected us to still have some trouble with so that makes me happy that the young'ns are picking up the system well.

He isn't saying we're gonna necessarily beat some of the other heavyweights in the conference but we are looking like we know what we are doing which we did not a lot of the time last year.

Having watched this game with an unbiased perspective, I would say that Montana did a few things very well. 1) They stopped the running game at the line when they were outmatched from a size standpoint and, 2)They showed some speed against Tennessee's secondary by burning them deep several times.

Tennessee does have a weak running game, but based on size alone, they should have been able to force the ball down Montana's throat. That didn't happen and, in my opinion, it is because you guys really fought hard up front.

Let's be honest, if Montana had been able to recover a few of the six (yes SIX) fumbles that UT had but didn't lose, this is a different game on the scoreboard. I would say Griz fans have plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Having watched this game with an unbiased perspective, I would say that Montana did a few things very well. 1) They stopped the running game at the line when they were outmatched from a size standpoint and, 2)They showed some speed against Tennessee's secondary by burning them deep several times.

Tennessee does have a weak running game, but based on size alone, they should have been able to force the ball down Montana's throat. That didn't happen and, in my opinion, it is because you guys really fought hard up front.

Let's be honest, if Montana had been able to recover a few of the six (yes SIX) fumbles that UT had but didn't lose, this is a different game on the scoreboard. I would say Griz fans have plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
That's what I couldn't believe was that we have a real "ball hawk" type of defense that is pretty good at getting the ball back for us but holy christ we just couldn't catch a break on one of them and then giving a good team like UT two eeeeasy scores off of our own mistakes kind of took me back to the mistakes we made in some big games last year to keep us narrowly out of the win column.

Thanks for the word UC Moc cuz sometimes I wonder if I'm keeping a view of integrity when the Griz are involved but I really didn't feel like the Griz didn't give them an ample challenge.

chattownmocs
September 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Montana needed a garbage time TD, and a garbage time Goal line stand to keep this within 4 tds. Montana played well late, but Tennessee knocked them out in the 1st half. Tennessee's running game was surprisingly innefective but they did whatever they wanted throwing the ball. Tennessee put together explosive plays, long drives, everything you could want. On the other side of the ball. Montana moved the ball surprisingly well. Should be a tough offense to stop for most FCS opponents.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Montana needed a garbage time TD, and a garbage time Goal line stand to keep this within 4 tds. Montana played well late, but Tennessee knocked them out in the 1st half. Tennessee's running game was surprisingly innefective but they did whatever they wanted throwing the ball. Tennessee put together explosive plays, long drives, everything you could want. On the other side of the ball. Montana moved the ball surprisingly well. Should be a tough offense to stop for most FCS opponents.
Whatever mocs. There wasn't much for garbage time as you call it cuz UT was keeping the lead dogs until the last 7 or 8 minutes and then started rotating 2nd teamers in and not en masse.

I just wish the Griz could have been as fortunate with their turnovers as UT was. We weren't. We were holding the run down all day long.

The QB & receivers for UT are fairly electric and will make some strides and be potent this year I'm sure.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I never saw the game. From what I have seen, Montana had nothing to be ashamed of last night. Their effort was good and they should not let this loss break their season. Here's hoping Montana will shake it off, learn from this and have a great rest of the season.

Willie
September 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM
xnonono2x

chattownmocs
September 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Whatever mocs. There wasn't much for garbage time as you call it cuz UT was keeping the lead dogs until the last 7 or 8 minutes and then started rotating 2nd teamers in and not en masse.

I just wish the Griz could have been as fortunate with their turnovers as UT was. We weren't. We were holding the run down all day long.

The QB & receivers for UT are fairly electric and will make some strides and be potent this year I'm sure.

Exactly which is when Montana put their only sustained drive of the night together and when they had the goal line stand. Im not bashing Montana, but in order to force a turnover you have to actually recover the fumbles.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Exactly which is when Montana put their only sustained drive of the night together and when they had the goal line stand. Im not bashing Montana, but in order to force a turnover you have to actually recover the fumbles.
Dude I ****in' know that and is the exact reason I said we didn't get that part of it done. You want to try and argue about what I or others saw I don't care too much. We gave them a ton of trouble all night running the ball. We also held them earlier in the game on the goal line but they were awarded the td. It was too close to say one way or the other but the play by play guy didn't think they got it either. It wouldn't have made any difference in the game but we played physical and stopped UT the entire game on the ground.

veinup
September 4th, 2011, 11:05 PM

last season sucked, but surely it wasn't bad enough make you forget the many years before it. when the griz are "in form" they are a top five team in the nation, and dominators in the big sky conference. PERIOD. you're saying we're not necessarily gonna beat some of the other "heavyweights" in the conference? what is this talk? until last season, we were THE heavyweight in the conference, and then there was everyone else. don't forget those days!