PDA

View Full Version : great article about conference affiliation

Brad82
August 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/os-bianchi-florida-state-media-day-0820110814,0,1384306.column

While reference is about FBS,it is a FCS subject often on this board.
I think he makes a great point:

“Don't ever forget that winning creates excitement, not conference affiliation”

DFW HOYA
August 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I think he makes a great point: “Don't ever forget that winning creates excitement, not conference affiliation”

In most cases, yes, but winning the MAAC certainly didn't inspire any exceitement.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
There are tiers of conference respectability in both FBS and FCS. The 'Noles have nothing to be ashamed of playing in the ACC. At the FBS level it's a BCS conference so they get a chance to play for the FBS version of the National Championship. Feeling hesitant about a move into a FBS conference that's excluded from a chance at a championship, like the MAC, WAC, C-USA, or SunBelt is perfectly understandable. FSU fans would be much more gung-ho about SEC membership if they weren't already playing in a BCS conference.

At the FCS level while any team could technically make it all the way to the title game, in practice it's membership and excellence in the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, or MVFC that gives a reasonable shot at making it to the big game (with an occasional Patriot or SLC team thrown in for good measure). I could see the argument being made for a Div II team that excels at that level being hesitant to jump into the FCS if membership in the PFL or SWAC was all it could hope for. UND pulled off a great feat in wrangling a Big Sky membership straight out of Div II. GA State and ODU were able to take advantage of their pre-existing CAA membership in other sports to jump right into the FCS deep end, just like 'Nova has the incredible fortune to potentially move to FBS with an invite to the Big East.

Winning games matters, but conference affiliation opens up doors to who you can play and how your success in gaged. Jacksonville went 10-1 and didn't even get a playoff bid last year. Had they done that in almost any other conference, they would have had a chance at the big dance.

bonarae
August 23rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
For me personally, the Ivy championship is way too lowly compared to a championship won in Frisco. Don't get me started on another topic, but this is the reality, unless something radical and positive for us comes out of our Presidents' statements. xsmhx

Brad82
August 24th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Jacksonville's main problem is not winning OOC games.
Not the conference they play in.

appfan2008
August 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I agree... winning is everything!

Pard4Life
August 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
It's funny how a lot of teams want in or are being talked about as ideal SEC teams. It's foolish because only one SEC team is going to have a shot at the national title. You have to play a another conference.

Confernce affiliation is less important in FCS of course... you can finish fourth in the CAA and still play for the NC. And Patriot teams need not worry about affiliation... just win your games and you can snag an at-large. The only issues relevant at our level pretaining to conference affiliation are the aid models and money spent on a program.

WileECoyote06
August 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Yep. They avoid playing App out of conference and play Charleston Southern. Oh wait, they do have Charleston Southern this year (along with the Citadel and Western Illinois). If they go 2-1 out of that and run their pioneer league schedule (Dayton is at Jacksonville), they should be in.

bonarae
August 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM
The only issues relevant at our level pretaining to conference affiliation are the aid models and money spent on a program.

True, especially when football is a big part of your athletics program yet the administration is not supportive of it. :(

crossfire07
August 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I agree... winning is everything! And when you stop winning as much, people jump off of that wagon 5 times faster than they got on it and those dollars the school counted on are no longer there. Now what?