PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly at San Diego State Game Thread

bojeta
August 23rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
Dating back to the 1940's , San Diego State has a lead in this series of 12 games to 10 although Cal Poly has won the last two meetings: 2006 16-14, 2008 29-27

San Diego State is favored coming off their 9-4 season and Poinsettia Bowl Championship. Currently ranked 38th nationally in FBS by Sporting News
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-07/preseason-rankings/story/top-50-countdown-no-38-san-diego-state-aztecs

Game time 4:00 PM Pacific Time at Qualcomm Stadium Sept 3rd

Game will be carried on Mountain West Conference TV

Hoping for a 3-Pete!!!! Go Mustangs!!!

bonarae
August 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM
But with Hoke (San Diego State's key to success last year) at Michigan now, can Cal Poly steal the show and pull another upset?

bojeta
August 25th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Sports Illustrated's writer seems to be pretty high on San Diego State. He pegs them to finish 10-2 and of course one of those wins he's figuring will be against Cal Poly. Hoping they have him eating crow on Sept 3rd!!!
http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082311aab.html

DG Cowboy
August 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Promise those Mustangs a Santa Maria barbecue if they win. That'll do it.

cpalum
August 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM

I think it is a mighty long shot..SDSU will be a very good team this year but if Cal Ploy was able to pull the hat trick....wow that would be historicxpeacex

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Aztecs are too strong

sikolec
August 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm excited for this game, but feel the hat trick is unlikely. San Diego State is a good team this season and will be too tough for Cal Poly.

bojeta
August 25th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I totally agree that a win by Cal Poly is illogical given the strength of SDSU, however, I too am excited for the game and hoping for the upset. Watch for me on TV. I'll look green and roundish with a woman on my head!! LOL!!

slostang
August 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'll be there and can not wait. Win or lose it should be fun. San Diego is a great city. One of my all time Cal Poly football memories was our win there in 2008.

Aztec fans are on edge after losing the last two. There may be riots in the streets of San Diego if Cal Poly makes it three in a row.

bojeta
August 25th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I'll be there and can not wait. Win or lose it should be fun. San Diego is a great city. One of my all time Cal Poly football memories was our win there in 2008.

Aztec fans are on edge after losing the last two. There may be riots in the streets of San Diego if Cal Poly makes it three in a row.

Riots always disgust me, but I wouldn't mind having a video tape of that one!! :)

Squealofthepig
August 26th, 2011, 12:07 AM
So... I'm cheering for riots next weekend? Business as usual, I suppose, for this anarchist. Go Mustangs!

ThreadStopper
August 26th, 2011, 12:22 AM
If the Mustangs pull off this off, which is not likely, will San Diego schedule them again any time soon?

bojeta
August 27th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yahoo!! Tics arrived today!! :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/Tickets-to-CP-vs-SDSU-web.jpg

slostang
August 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM

They broke camp yesterday and had a Santa Maria b-b-q for the players. Time to bring on the Aztecs.

bojeta
August 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Looks like they got the BBQ! lol Now for the win!!!

coover
August 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'll look green and roundish with a woman on my head!! LOL!!

One small correction to your first post in this thread ... the game will be at 7:00 PM Pacific.

I, too shall be at the game, and I, too shall look green and roundish, but my head is definitely male. Look for me in Plaza 61, row 10.

As for the game, hopefully, those wearing Red and Black on the field will lose the Red and gain the Blue by the end of the evening and the Green and Gold will prevail with no discolorization.

bojeta
August 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM
One small correction to your first post in this thread ... the game will be at 7:00 PM Pacific.

I, too shall be at the game, and I, too shall look green and roundish, but my head is definitely male. Look for me in Plaza 61, row 10.

As for the game, hopefully, those wearing Red and Black on the field will lose the Red and gain the Blue by the end of the evening and the Green and Gold will prevail with no discolorization.

LOL... Ya, that's my wife on the helmet. She'll be at the game with me. Plaza 61 row 17. See you there!

bojeta
August 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Interesting interview with San Diego State's new head coach regarding preparation for Cal Poly.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/26/sdsu-playing-guessing-game-opener/

Twentysix
August 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/Tickets-to-CP-vs-SDSU-web.jpg

Holy Sh** SDSU tickets are cheaper than NDSU home tickets?

I had to pay $90 per for my BCS tix.

I believe the NDSU U of M tickets through NDSU were $50 face value.

You got an awesome deal!

BlueGoldAg
August 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I'll be pulling for Poly but an upset over the Aztecs is unlikely. I do think the Mustangs will have a better shot at keeping the game respectable than UC Davis will in their opener at Arizona State. I just hope that both teams can come away without getting too banged up and that the paycheck is big and fat.

bojeta
August 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Holy Sh** SDSU tickets are cheaper than NDSU home tickets?

I had to pay $90 per for my BCS tix.

I believe the NDSU U of M tickets through NDSU were $50 face value.

You got an awesome deal!

I think Qualcomm seats over 70,000 and the ticket price reflects their inability to come close to filling that venue for decades. I'll be surprised if attendance reaches 30,000. But..... after their successful 2010 season, interest is supposed to be high in this year's team. I'll report actual attendance after the game. Ya.... just checked and last year's average home attendance was 22,700. Even the Poinsettia Bowl only drew 48,000. So for a major bowl game to cap a successful season, there were over 23,000 empty seats. Most games saw nearly 48,000 seats sit empty. If you want to sell parking spaces, hot dogs etc., you got to put bodies in the seats.

bojeta
August 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I'll be pulling for Poly but an upset over the Aztecs is unlikely. I do think the Mustangs will have a better shot at keeping the game respectable than UC Davis will in their opener at Arizona State. I just hope that both teams can come away without getting too banged up and that the paycheck is big and fat.

Ya, it's gonna be an exciting, but tough weekend for both schools. Keep the faith! Remember Stanford! Remember `06/`08!!! Go Aggies! Go Mustangs!! Go Great West (one last time)!!!!

coover
August 28th, 2011, 11:33 PM

And I shall be rooting for the Aggies in the comfort of my air-conditioned mountain home. Fortunately, the game will be shown on Fox Sports Pacific which my cable company conveniently provides. Unfortunately, the cable company does not provide a High Definition channel for FSP, so, with my aged eyes, I'll have to squint a lot to watch.

frozennorth
August 29th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Sdsu will be a contender in the mwc, so I don't like your odds, but I think you will keep it respectable.

Twentysix
August 29th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I think Qualcomm seats over 70,000 and the ticket price reflects their inability to come close to filling that venue for decades. I'll be surprised if attendance reaches 30,000. But..... after their successful 2010 season, interest is supposed to be high in this year's team. I'll report actual attendance after the game. Ya.... just checked and last year's average home attendance was 22,700. Even the Poinsettia Bowl only drew 48,000. So for a major bowl game to cap a successful season, there were over 23,000 empty seats. Most games saw nearly 48,000 seats sit empty. If you want to sell parking spaces, hot dogs etc., you got to put bodies in the seats.

That sucks for them, but works out for you. Hardly sounds like a hostile enviornment what with 50,000 empty seats and all.

slostang
August 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
The stadium only holds 54,000.

DG Cowboy
August 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Looks like they got the BBQ! lol Now for the win!!!

DG Cowboy - Promise those Mustangs a Santa Maria barbecue if they win. That'll do it.

Slostang - They broke camp yesterday and had a Santa Maria b-b-q for the players. Time to bring on the Aztecs

"First you Eat, then you BEAT."

Poly Boosters - Lake Charles

slostang
August 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
DG Cowboy - Promise those Mustangs a Santa Maria barbecue if they win. That'll do it.

Slostang - They broke camp yesterday and had a Santa Maria b-b-q for the players. Time to bring on the Aztecs

"First you Eat, then you BEAT."

Poly Boosters - Lake Charles

DG Cowboy, best of luck to your Cowboys this season. I really hope we see McNeese on future schedules. I was bummed that I could not make the game last season and heard from Cal Poly fans that made the trip that McNeese fans are great and they know how to tailgate.

Grizzaholic
August 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
DG Cowboy, best of luck to your Cowboys this season. I really hope we see McNeese on future schedules. I was bummed that I could not make the game last season and heard from Cal Poly fans that made the trip that McNeese fans are great and they know how to tailgate.

They have some great eats.

DG Cowboy
August 29th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Time for us to make the playoffs and win a game again. We'll see. Found out from the McNeese Asst AD we are not going to Poly in 2012. Bad info. Sorry about that thread a while back. I'll make it to SLO some day - one reason or another.

I'm feeling good about this McNeese team, especially on offense. Hope Poly does well. Always a killer schedule.

bojeta
August 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM
The stadium only holds 54,000.

Check the original capacity vs the upgrades over the years. Pretty sure they are at 71,500 now. The San Diego Chargers play there. I don't think they would play in a stadium that small. Only the Green Bay Packers play in a small house as far as I know.

Link to Stadium info: http://www.chargers.com/tickets/stadium/facts-and-stats.html

appfan2008
August 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM

oh man those are cheap!

bojeta
August 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Bleacher Report on San Diego State predicts they go 10-2 and are a legitimate contender for the Mountain West title.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/824811-san-diego-state-football-2011-eight-bold-predictions-for-the-aztecs-this-season#/articles/824811-san-diego-state-football-2011-eight-bold-predictions-for-the-aztecs-this-season

slostang
August 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Check the original capacity vs the upgrades over the years. Pretty sure they are at 71,500 now. The San Diego Chargers play there. I don't think they would play in a stadium that small. Only the Green Bay Packers play in a small house as far as I know.

Link to Stadium info: http://www.chargers.com/tickets/stadium/facts-and-stats.html

I stand corrected. It will be more than half empty this Saturday. I can not see them having more than 35,000 in attendance.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Love me some West Coast FCS-FBS football talk.

Would really like to see some FCS wins over FBS teams but, in all honesty, this is one one of them. SDSU is a contender in the MWC and I would like to see them finish with a strong season and bowl bid. Obviously I'd wish the same for Poly as well, but I like the Aztecs and would like to see them do well this season.

San Diego State has always been a bit of a mystery for me, football-wise; like UNLV, they should be so much freaking stronger than they are, just in terms of recruiting alone. I really have a hard time seeing what is really keeping UNLV and SDSU from being favorites and strong teams perennially. I don't see how a kid from pretty much anyplace would not want to mix it up in one of those cities for a couple of years. Always been a mystery for me.

techstate
August 30th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I stand corrected. It will be more than half empty this Saturday. I can not see them having more than 35,000 in attendance.

I disagree, I think your under estimating the sudden grow in popularity for SDSU football (San Diego is a far weather fan group). Also there is a huge population of Cal Poly students and Alumni in San Diego. I don't know the numbers from the game in 2008 but but I think there was over 40,000. I'm guessing 45,000+

coover
August 30th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I'll make it to SLO some day - one reason or another.

And you won't want to leave. Plan to stay several days. SLO is a special place.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 04:33 AM
In terms of attendance, looking at previous seasons might be illustrative, but won't really account for the 'novelty' of having the team returning from a bowl season. 48,049 showed up for the victory over navy in the bowl, but even that number might be somewhat misleading as there was a huge rainstorm the night before and the stadium field was flooded with inches of water that were cleared by gametime but it was dicey and folks might have stayed away due to the inclement weather. The best attended game of the regular season in 2010 was a home match against Utah State, surprisingly enough, with 45,682; but the Nicholls State game to start the season only drew 25,290. Unless you think that was just a bad showing of people coming off a 4-8 season, the last game of the season- when they were 8-4- was the least attended home game of the season, with an attendance of 22,091.