PDA

View Full Version : App feasibility committee recommends move to FBS

Pages : [1] 2

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Appalachian State has taken a step toward playing football at the NCAA’s bowl subdivision level.

An ASU study committee voted Monday to recommend to ASU chancellor Ken Peacock pursuing a move from the NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision, according to a source close to ASU athletics.

It will be up to Peacock whether to support and forward the recommendation to ASU’s board of trustees for final approval. No time has been announced for that next possible step.

The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because no official announcements have been made.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/aug/22/source-asu-committee-expected-to-recommend-move-to-ar-1322371/?referer=http://mail.aol.com/34047-111/aol-1/en-us/Suite.aspx&shorturl=http://bit.ly/oLFUOd

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
To a deluxe apartment in the sky...

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Appy State MB thread... http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/messages/?msg=36901.1

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
So long! GOOD RIDDANCE! Let the erring sister go in peace into obscurity.

MSUBear42
August 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Appy State MB thread... http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/messages/?msg=36901.1

Is that really their message board software? That's hideous! Almost as bad as tigerboard.com

Mountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Is that really their message board software? That's hideous! Almost as bad as tigerboard.com

Yup, that's really the message board. It's been running since the early 2000s and it's just one of the thousands of forums hosted on the Delphi site. It takes some getting used to, but I don't mind the format one bit.

Besides, I'll take an ugly board that runs through hundreds of posts a day over a pretty looking forum where I can find posts dating weeks or months back on the main page. The MMB is serious business. xthumbsupx

Mountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
And as far as the announcement is concerned..meh..don't mean a thang where there's no place to go. xcoffeex

Awwww, I'd miss you and your luggage carrying capabilities! xhighfivex

MSUBear42
Yup, that's really the message board. It's been running since the early 2000s and it's just one of the thousands of forums hosted on the Delphi site. It takes some getting used to, but I don't mind the format one bit.

Besides, I'll take an ugly board that runs through hundreds of posts a day over a pretty looking forum where I can find posts dating weeks or months back on the main page. The MMB is serious business. xthumbsupx

More power to ya! If you change your mind and want me to design a forum like this one, www.bear-nation.com, for ya, let me know! haha

chattownmocs
I dont think they have the "Mocsy" to move up.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Try Appfan.com

Mountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
More power to ya! If you change your mind and want me to design a forum like this one, www.bear-nation.com, for ya, let me know! haha

Looks great dude. xthumbsupx I don't run the MMB, I just post over there. The guy who does run it has offered to move it, but it's there's never been much serious discussion. Too comfortable I guess.

Mountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Try Appfan.com

Not recommended if your IQ level is of any value. xlolx That place, or at least the comments, is a complete ****hole.

WileECoyote06
August 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
So what's the word?

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Not recommended if your IQ level is of any value. xlolx That place, or at least the comments, is a complete ****hole.

It gets real rough in the offseason, but I like it

phoenixphanatic21
August 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
To the surprise of no one.

I'm glad they are coming out and making an official announcement on this. Honestly, I wish them the best of luck. But if they don't want to be here, I see no reason for them to stay. It's not a good situation when both sides know someone doesn't want to be there (a la Texas A&M in the Big 12 this year).

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
phoenixphanatic21, are you Russell Varner by chance?

Cocky
August 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
What is the desired timetable?

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM

ASA ****ing P

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
ASA ****ing P

I agree. You should be hanging out with burn the horsey in the sun belch soon. After you write the socon a check that is. I can't wait until I can laugh at you mountain queers being 'homecoming princesses' for all of the fbs and playing for NOTHING.

bigCasu
August 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I cant remember the last time The Citadel played for anything.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM

They played Samford in their finale to move out of 9th place and not finish winless in the SoCon just last year!

whoanellie
August 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yea!!! get off this board ASAP!!!

ninerID
August 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Ask FBS conferences, not app fans.

AppMan
August 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM

Tried to tell you it was just a matter of time.

Umpire
August 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
The W-S Journal story has been edited so the thread title has been edited accordingly.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ask FBS conferences, not app fans.

I believe he said desired timeline. And I wouldn't be so quick to mock potential FBS conference interest in App if my school had explicit disinterest from every FCS conference possible.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM

Well you must have been born between christmas and this morning because we play in the Football Championship Subdivision where our championship is won on the field of battle. We played at the level you seek to move to for 50 years whilst you were playing in the north state conference.

theasushow
August 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM

i wish there was a like button for this.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Tried to tell you it was just a matter of time.

So glad to see you go. What EXACTLY will you be playing for? A meaningless bowl game 10 days before christmas? Yep that's 'moving up' alright.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM

Sorry, I just thought this quote was worth being duplicated once more.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
So glad to see you go. What EXACTLY will you be playing for? A meaningless bowl game 10 days before christmas? Yep that's 'moving up' alright.

It's good for both of us, look at it this way: in a few years, The Citadel could at least get a nice paycheck to come up the mountain and get their asses kicked

Umpire
August 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/Breaking_News/story/Report-ASUs-move-to-FBS-seems-closer-id-005928

"Co-chairman G.A. Sywassink said that a press release would be issued within 30 minutes, but he would not immediately confirm or deny the report."

Hmmmmm

Mountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
ASU Feasibility Committee Recommends Move to FBS

AppalachianState University’s athletics feasibility committee voted on Monday to recommend to ASU Chancellor Dr. Kenneth E. Peacock that, at some future point, Appalachian seek membership in an athletics conference that sponsors football in the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

With signs pointing towards another significant shift in the Division I landscape, the committee held a conference call Monday to formally recommend that the time is right for Appalachian to make its intention to move to FBS known. A formal report of the committee’s findings and analysis will be finalized in the coming weeks.

Dr. Peacock will study the committee’s recommendation and make a recommendation of his own to the ASU Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees must approve any change in Appalachian athletics’ conference and/or football subdivision. A timeline for transition from the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) to FBS, including eligibility for conference championships, the NCAA Division I Football Championship and bowl games, would not be determined until Appalachian accepts membership in a new conference.

The 11-member athletics feasibility committee determined through seven months of study and analysis that Appalachian is best suited for FBS as an institution and an athletics department. In addition to ASU’s unprecedented athletic success, the University’s enrollment of 17,000-plus, its academic philosophy and its strategic vision going forward more closely mirror FBS institutions than its current FCS counterparts.

Committee co-chairperson G.A. Sywassink said, “The analysis of the facts is very clear that FBS is the right place for Appalachian athletics from an across-the-board institutional standpoint. A move to FBS mirrors Appalachian’s strategic vision as a nationally prominent institution and would enhance the University’s academic mission. The committee has worked to develop a blended financial model that ensures that the move would not be made on the backs of students.

“A move to FBS is not imminent. It is essential that we find a conference fit that creates rivalries and makes financial sense. However, with what appears to be another seismic shift in the Division I landscape on the horizon, the committee concluded that it is crucial to make our future intentions known at this time.”

More at: http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205246191

Waco Kid
August 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Well you must have been born between christmas and this morning because we play in the Football Championship Subdivision where our championship is won on the field of battle. We played at the level you seek to move to for 50 years whilst you were playing in the north state conference.

You may play in the division, but you never really play for anything except 8th place in the SoCon. Should be a tight battle with WCU and Samford again this year.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
It's good for both of us, look at it this way: in a few years, The Citadel will at least get a nice paycheck to come up the mountain and get their asses kicked

And you will no longer pollute my city of culture and refinement and class every other year. It REALLY is good news indeed. You'll be as relevant nationally as the thundering herd or The Citadel. SMART move.

dgtw
August 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
ASA ****ing P

Admit it, you'll miss citdog.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
You may play in the division, but you never really play for anything except 8th place in the SoCon. Should be a tight battle with WCU and Samford again this year.

You sure seem to be in a BIG RUSH to have YOUR season mean absolutely nothing as well.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
APPALACHIAN STATE ATHLETICS FEASIBILITY COMMITTEE FBS RECOMMENDATION
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why did the athletics feasibility committee recommend that Appalachian seek membership in a conference that sponsors football in the NCAA Division I FBS?

As an institution and an athletics department, the committee determined that Appalachian is best suited for FBS. In addition to ASU’s unprecedented athletic success, the University’s enrollment of 17,000-plus, its academic philosophy and its strategic vision going forward more closely mirror FBS institutions than its current FCS counterparts.

When will ASU to move to NCAA Division I FBS?

A move is not imminent. The athletics feasibility committee has recommended to Chancellor Dr. Kenneth E. Peacock that at some point in the future, Appalachian seek membership in an athletics conference that sponsors football in the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). However, that is only a first step towards ultimately becoming an FBS member.

The next step is for Chancellor Peacock to formulate his own recommendation to present to the ASU Board of Trustees. Should the Chancellor pass the committee’s recommendation to the Board of Trustees, the BOT will have to vote to approve any change in Appalachian’s conference affiliation and/or football subdivision. Finally, Appalachian must find a suitable fit in a conference that does or will sponsor football in the FBS. A suitable conference must create rivalries that are essential to the culture of college athletics and make financial sense.

What conference will ASU wind up in if it moves to FBS?

Should Chancellor Peacock and the Board of Trustees ultimately approve the committee’s recommendation, Appalachian will consider all options when it comes to conference affiliation, whether it be existing FBS conferences or conferences with FBS aspirations. A suitable conference would have institutions that are similar to ASU both academically (in terms of enrollment and academic philosophy, athletically (in terms of revenue, facilities and success on the playing fields and in the classroom) and geographically, which will allow for formation of rivalries that are essential to the culture of college athletics.

Can Appalachian be competitive in an FBS conference?

Appalachian can be very successful across the board in an FBS conference. ASU is already on par with many FBS institutions in terms of facilities, revenue and on- and off-field success.

Just looking at on-field achievements since 2005, Appalachian has placed in the top 76 in the Division I football Sagarin Ratings (combining FBS and FCS teams) all six years, has earned two postseason National Invitation Tournament berths and appeared in a total of four national postseason tournaments in men’s and women’s basketball, earned a top-50 Ratings Percentage Index ranking in baseball and sent individual athletes to NCAA national competitions in men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track and field and wrestling.

Additionally, ASU’s average regular-season football home attendance of 29,449 in 2010 was higher than 43 FBS programs.

With the increased prestige and revenue that come with membership in an FBS conference, Appalachian is poised to become even more competitive than it already is in the Division I landscape.

Will it cost more money to move to FBS?

Yes. According to the committee’s analysis, ASU athletics will have to raise its yearly budget by about $6 million for its teams to be viable in an FBS conference. However, the committee concluded that a move to FBS would open new revenue streams to cover the costs, including increased ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, donations and funds dispersed by conferences to member institutions from television rights fees, NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament shares and the Bowl Championship Series and other bowl games.

In the coming weeks, the athletics feasibility committee will finalize its report with complete financial analysis of a potential move.

With the state of North Carolina’s current budget crunch, why spend more money on athletics now?

With the changing landscape of Division I athletics, the window of opportunity to enhance the University’s growth for decades to come is now.

By law, ASU athletics does not receive state appropriations or tax-payer dollars and any additional spending on athletics would not take away from the University’s academic budget.

Additionally, data shows that FBS athletic departments use a substantially smaller percentage of their total spending from direct and indirect institutional support than those at the FCS level. A recent NCAA study shows that direct and indirect institutional support as a funding source for athletics is approximately 20 percent in the FBS and 72 percent in the FCS. Just over half of ASU’s current athletics budget is funded by indirect institutional support (student fees).

Since the beginning of its analysis, the athletics feasibility committee has been committed to recommending a move only if it positively affects the academic role of the University and without substantial increases to student fees. The committee believes that its blended financial model achieves both objectives.

In the meantime, will Appalachian continue to be eligible for Southern Conference championships in all sports? Will the Mountaineers continue to be eligible to compete in the NCAA Division I Football Championship?

Yes. Appalachian will remain a full-fledged member of the Southern Conference and NCAA Division I FCS for at least 2011-12 and its goal of winning SoCon titles and competing for NCAA postseason berths in all sports — including the quest for a fourth FCS national championship — will not change.

A timeline for transition from FCS to FBS, including eligibility for conference championships, the NCAA Division I Football Championship and bowl games, would not be determined until Appalachian accepts membership in a new conference.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104441&SPID=12805&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205246267

AtlantaMountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM

Post of the year!!!!! Big C, you read my mind as soon as I read Citdog's post. I am still laughing.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
All dressed up with no place to go!

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
Post of the year!!!!! Big C, you read my mind as soon as I read Citdog's post. I am still laughing.

Not NEARLY as much as the rest of us will be when you fall flat on your *** in the fbs and realize that the JOKE IS YOU.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Not NEARLY as much as the rest of us will be when you fall flat on your *** in the fbs and realize that the JOKE IS YOU.

Laugh if you want, App will have a better record in FBS than the Citadel will have in FCS.

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
What conference will they move to? Seems like C-USA might be a good fit.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM

To me, CUSA is the only fit. Having Marshall and ECU as rivals would be a big boost to the moveup. Maybe in the future, Georgia Southern.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Laugh if you want, App will have a better record in FBS than the Citadel will have in FCS.

And be just as RELEVANT nationally. Y'all can make this about us all you want it doesn't change the FACT that YOU WILL NEVER HANG ANOTHER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER again. Only sun blech conference titles, if you can win one.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
To me, CUSA is the only fit. Having Marshall and ECU as rivals would be a big boost to the moveup. Maybe in the future, Georgia Southern.

They don't want you. Have fun in the sun belt! It suits you.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
And be just as RELEVANT nationally. Y'all can make this about us all you want it doesn't change the FACT that YOU WILL NEVER HANG ANOTHER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER again. Only sun blech conference titles, if you can win one.

And what does it matter to you? Its not like 99% of FBS teams have won a NC, and App is all by itself. Many very good teams have never won a NC, and they play great football. We will see better athletes, better football, better OOC games, more TV games, a boost in attendence, and ASU as a whole will benefit. This is a good thing for App, especially if we get into CUSA. And as stated in the article, a moveup is not inevitable. If we dont get what we want, we can hand the Citadel losses for years to come.

AtlantaMountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Don't sweat it Citdog. After the Smallcon invites Presbyterian your annual win total could double.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
The movement is not imminent, and I hope that the administration will keep us at the FCS level until the right offer (not just ANY offer) comes along. The Sun Belt would be an increase in the quality of football, but it is not geographically feasible and does not warrant a move in my opinion. When the chips start to fall in the conference realignment, I think a spot will open up for us in Conference USA, but it may be a year or two down the road. I am perfectly content to wait.

The biggest attraction to me is the potential schedule. I love the playoffs and will miss the chance to play for a National Championship, but the ability to make the regular season schedule more exciting is huge. East Carolina is a good, realistic comparison of where the ASU program hopes to be going. Look at their OOC schedule this year: vs. South Carolina in Charlotte, home games vs. Virginia Tech and UNC. Not bad at all. The key for the administration and fans is patience, because it will take a while before we can announce a schedule like that, but it can be done.

citdog
August 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
And what does it matter to you? Its not like 99% of FBS teams have won a NC, and App is all by itself. Many very good teams have never won a NC, and they play great football. We will see better athletes, better football, better OOC games, more TV games, a boost in attendence, and ASU as a whole will benefit. This is a good thing for App, especially if we get into CUSA. And as stated in the article, a moveup is not inevitable. If we dont get what we want, we can hand the Citadel losses for years to come.

So you think. You will see what happens when you join those ranks. Your ticket prices will double and you will look around your corporate named stadium and wonder what happened to the people who used to be there and why a hot dog is 17 bucks and why you had to pay 30 bucks to park. You'll get ecu to come to boone if you go there twice and at the end of the season you will wonder what it is you were playing for in a conference rated below the one you play in now.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
So you think. You will see what happens when you join those ranks. Your ticket prices will double and you will look around your corporate named stadium and wonder what happened to the people who used to be there and why a hot dog is 17 bucks and why you had to pay 30 bucks to park. You'll get ecu to come to boone if you go there twice and at the end of the season you will wonder what it is you were playing for in a conference rated below the one you play in now.

I already pay much much much more than $30 to park. So whatever. And you assume we're going into the Sunbelt. We dont. We demand more from our admin. The majority of App fans dont support a move to the SB.

ThompsonThe
August 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
I already pay much much much more than $30 to park. So whatever. And you assume we're going into the Sunbelt. We dont. We demand more from our admin. The majority of App fans dont support a move to the SB.

Most of the App Fans I know would love the move compared to staying put. Tired of hearing about this crap. Should have never decided to go to 1-AA (FCS now) ever. But will miss playing so many good FCS teams, and their fans. Wish really we could play FBS football, but stay in the FCS.

ninerID
August 22nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
from the FAQ's

Should Chancellor Peacock and the Board of Trustees ultimately approve the committee’s recommendation, Appalachian will consider all options when it comes to conference affiliation, whether it be existing FBS conferences or conferences with FBS aspirations. A suitable conference would have institutions that are similar to ASU both academically (in terms of enrollment and academic philosophy, athletically (in terms of revenue, facilities and success on the playing fields and in the classroom) and geographically, which will allow for formation of rivalries that are essential to the culture of college athletics.

Strike up the James Madison, Old Dominion, GSU (1 and 2), App, Charlotte, etc. rumor mill.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
The Sun Belt would be an increase in the quality of football,.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
from the FAQ's

Strike up the James Madison, Old Dominion, GSU (1 and 2), App, Charlotte, etc. rumor mill.

If you could get a couple more schools with some bball roots Temple wouldn't be a bad fit. TU has quite a bit in common with Charlotte, Georgia State and ODU imo.

I'd like to see an all sports conference with Temple, Buffalo, Umass, JMU, Charlotte, ECU, VCU, Marshall, App State, Georgia State etc.

GSU EAGLES
August 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
from the FAQ's

I'd love to see App take the lead on organizing that. What else could they have been referring to?

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Most of the App Fans I know would love the move compared to staying put. Tired of hearing about this crap. Should have never decided to go to 1-AA (FCS now) ever. But will miss playing so many good FCS teams, and their fans. Wish really we could play FBS football, but stay in the FCS.

Thats just from what I've been exposed to. Appfan has a large sample of the anti-SB crowd.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2011, 07:59 PM

The SoCon is as good (or some years, better) at the top, but the depth does not compare. The bottom of the Sun Belt like WKU, North Texas, etc. are nothing to write home about, but they would stomp WCU, The Citadel and the other bottom teams of the SoCon.

ASUMountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
And you will no longer pollute my city of culture and refinement and class every other year. It REALLY is good news indeed. You'll be as relevant nationally as the thundering herd or The Citadel. SMART move.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM

See, I don't get this reaction. AT WORST, the SoCon is a lateral move.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
If you could get a couple more schools with some bball roots Temple wouldn't be a bad fit. TU has quite a bit in common with Charlotte, Georgia State and ODU imo.

I'd like to see an all sports conference with Temple, Buffalo, Umass, JMU, Charlotte, ECU, VCU, Marshall, App State, Georgia State etc.

Those FBS teams would throw a fit!

ASUMountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM

Our stadium already has many corporate-named parts--we're cool with it. As to ticket prices, I doubt they'll "double." We're already creeping up to FBS ticket prices. To park where I do, I definitely pay more than $30 to park. However, we tailgate all day, no need to buy a hot dog. :D

As to your last sentence...is the SunBelt playing on PBS? I'm not bashing FCS, I love FCS football. With that said, I do think a move to FBS is in ASU's best interest. Bellhop opinions notwithstanding. xthumbsupx

ninerID
August 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Those FBS teams would throw a fit!

that would be the problem. I can't see any FBS teams moving.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM

It depends what kind of bowl tie ins could be arranged, tv contracts etc. Potentially, given some of the markets, it could be a relatively attractive east coast league.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM

Agreed. I think it would have to be CAA, and Socon, with a couple cherry picked FCS, and FCS "stepping stone" schools.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
See, I don't get this reaction. AT WORST, the SoCon is a lateral move.

I think you mean SunBelch.

You'd be excited playing FAU/FIU/Troy/ULlL/ULM/UNT?

Traveling all over the south (all the way to Texas) for crappy football? Not too mention crappy basketball.

C-USA I get. ECU/Marshall.

If NCAA regulations can be overcome and a new conference with say, GSU, GSU, UNCC, JMU, ODU, etc - that I would get as well.

But App State has nothing in common with ANY of the SunBelch, other than maybe MTSU

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I meant Sun Belt.

How many Big Sky schools are in busing distance to NAU? 0? Not sure you should be talking about us possibly traveling all over the South... when y'all travel all over the West in a worse conference.

C-USA or a new conference with regional FCS schools would be preferable... but, I don't get the hate for the Sun Belt.

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I meant Sun Belt.

How many Big Sky schools are in busing distance to NAU? 0? Not sure you should be talking about us possibly traveling all over the South... when y'all travel all over the West in a worse conference.

C-USA or a new conference with regional FCS schools would be preferable... but, I don't get the hate for the Sun Belt.

No hate, just no interest.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I meant Sun Belt.

NAU and other western schools have no choice - the schools just aren't there. and Big Sky>>Southern. And last year, better than SunBelt.

So you would rather play UNT, ULx, Troy, WKU, etc for a shot at a bowl bid in a dying city (New Orleans or Detroit) than your local rivals and the NC?

Not too mention closest schools are 6 (MTSU), 7 (WKU) and 8 (Troy) hours away. Rest are 10-17 hours away, under good conditions.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Here's a look at the differences in the SoCon and Sun Belt:

AD revenue: (SoCon in bold and public schools only, as that's all the data I have)
Western Kentucky: $23,243,348.00
Florida International: $22,004,418.00
Middle Tennessee State: $20,800,017.00
Florida Atlantic: $16,284,618.00
Appalachian State: $15,865,704.00
Troy: $15,783,593.00
Tennessee Chattanooga - $13,115,269.00
Louisiana-Lafayette: $12,280,070.00
The Citadel - $11,872,359.00
Louisiana-Monroe: $10,752,992.00
North Texas: $10,401,988.00
Georgia Southern: $10,325,261.00
Arkansas State: $9,478,903.00
Western Carolina: $8,055,920.00

Sun Belt Average: $15,647,771
SoCon Average (minus App State): $10,839,702

Average attendance: (SoCon in bold)
Troy: 29,159
Appalachian State: 25,717
Louisiana-Monroe: 20,934
Middle Tennessee State: 19,024
Florida Atlantic: 18,444
North Texas: 17,781
Georgia Southern: 17,627
Arkansas State: 17,394
Louisiana-Lafayette: 17,383
Florida International: 16,549
Western Kentucky 14,577
Chattanooga: 12,690
The Citadel: 11,445
Furman: 10,594
Wofford: 9,039
WCU: 8,470
Elon: 8,176
Samford: 7,321

Sun Belt Average: 19,027
SoCon Average (minus App State): 10,670

NSo you would rather play UNT, ULx, Troy, WKU, etc for a shot at a bowl bid in a dying city (New Orleans or Detroit) than your local rivals and the NC?

Watching a game in the Superdome in one of the greatest cities in the country vs. watching a game in a soccer stadium in a McMansion hellhole is a no-brainer to me. I'd much rather be in a "dying" city with culture, music, incredible bars, etc. than a "new" city like Frisco with strip malls, asphalt, and suburbia. xlolx Personal taste there, I guess.

And, you want to talk about New Orleans as a "dying city"? Wake up! This subdivision is dying. The biggest problem with FCS is that the best programs end up leaving.

I would love this conference, or something similar:

If NCAA regulations can be overcome and a new conference with say, GSU, GSU, UNCC, JMU, ODU, etc - that I would get as well.
But, the fact that those programs are thinking about, considering, etc. moving up... does not bode well for the subdivision... particularly in the region... as those are some of the best programs (with exceptions) in the region.

It's been talked about a lot in the discussions and press releases from Appalachian on the feasibility study-- the future of FCS has weighed heavily on their deliberations. If the future of FCS is to continue to lose the best programs... why stay in a "dying" subdivision?

MSUBear42
August 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM

CUSA has gone on record saying they don't want to expand with eastern teams, though...

SaintDK10
August 22nd, 2011, 09:47 PM
There is really an easy and elegant solution to all this. The CAA simply needs to restructure and move up to FBS.

UMass is gone to MAC. Villanova's move to BE seems like a prolonged inevitability. Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island to NEC. Towson to Big South. If Richmond and William & Mary can make the transition to FBS, great, if not, they'll do just fine in SoCon.

I'm an optimist, so I say at least W&M is on board. Now you're left with Delaware, JMU, ODU, GSU and W&M. Add App State and GA Southern. UNCC would be nice, but I have a feeling they're eyeing C-USA from the start. Put pressure on George Mason and VCU to get on board and you've got a formidable FBS league with a reasonable geographic footprint.

The CAA is already strong in basketball, decent in baseball, and pretty darn good in most other sports. You preserve some regional rivalries from the current CAA, and you bring in App St. vs. Southern. Not to mention the hatred between State and Southern. I mean, the only thing that's bigger than the hate between our two fan bases is the amount of money that can be made from that hatred. I'm sure even Southern fans can agree with me on this one. Statesboro faithful would bring 20K minimum for every game at the Dome.

Honestly, it's win-win for everyone if you ask me, so if App State officials can start making calls to the CAA offices, we'd all greatly appreciate it. Just my two...

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2011, 09:47 PM
CUSA has gone on record saying they don't want to expand with eastern teams, though...

There were serious talks about Temple being pursued by Conference USA. For that reason i hesitate to believe that CUSA is absolutely opposed to adding an eastern team.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
And C-USA can say they have no interest in expanding in the East... while they aren't being raided.

Depending what ends up happening with conference expansion... they may be forced to if their schools take off to the Big East, Big XII, etc.

Saint3333
There were serious talks about Temple being pursued by Conference USA. For that reason i hesitate to believe that CUSA is absolutely opposed to adding an eastern team.

Depends which schools you talk to. Texas schools want a western team, ECU, Marshall, etc. want an eastern team. It all depends on which teams the Big East takes should a shuffle occur.

GlassOnion
I agree with you skjelly, the subdivision is dying. There is very little interest in FCS football, and it is spread so far and wide that it will never gain traction. The money is drying up, and the FBS conferences are sucking all the oxygen out of the room with their mega tv deals and merchandising. As the FCS loses its marketable names, the FCS will become untenantable. Programs will shrink or be dropped, and the FCS will become division 2.

MSUBear42
August 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
I agree with you skjelly, the subdivision is dying. There is very little interest in FCS football, and it is spread so far and wide that it will never gain traction. The money is drying up, and the FBS conferences are sucking all the oxygen out of the room with their mega tv deals and merchandising. As the FCS loses its marketable names, the FCS will become untenantable. Programs will shrink or be dropped, and the FCS will become division 2.
Sad but partially true in some areas.

GSU EAGLES
August 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
There is really an easy and elegant solution to all this. The CAA simply needs to restructure and move up to FBS.

UMass is gone to MAC. Villanova's move to BE seems like a prolonged inevitability. Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island to NEC. Towson to Big South. If Richmond and William & Mary can make the transition to FBS, great, if not, they'll do just fine in SoCon.

I'm an optimist, so I say at least W&M is on board. Now you're left with Delaware, JMU, ODU, GSU and W&M. Add App State and GA Southern. UNCC would be nice, but I have a feeling they're eyeing C-USA from the start. Put pressure on George Mason and VCU to get on board and you've got a formidable FBS league with a reasonable geographic footprint.

The CAA is already strong in basketball, decent in baseball, and pretty darn good in most other sports. You preserve some regional rivalries from the current CAA, and you bring in App St. vs. Southern. Not to mention the hatred between State and Southern. I mean, the only thing that's bigger than the hate between our two fan bases is the amount of money that can be made from that hatred. I'm sure even Southern fans can agree with me on this one. Statesboro faithful would bring 20K minimum for every game at the Dome.

Honestly, it's win-win for everyone if you ask me, so if App State officials can start making calls to the CAA offices, we'd all greatly appreciate it. Just my two...

I'd love to see that conference. I think it would immediately pass the Sunbelt in football and would have much more upside potential. It sounds like App alluded to new conference as a possible option which would have to mean the disbanding CAA, App and Ga Southern from the SoCon and Charlotte. Sounds like App needs to get on the phone and make some calls. Someone will have to take the lead on it otherwise it will never get enough momentum.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Making up numbers, SK?

Troy average under 19K. Sunbelt as a whole averaged under 18K, which set an ALL-TIME CONFERENCE RECORD.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/d47a560045aad7aab88ffc9080650d5b/2010_Attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=d47a560045aad7aab88ffc9080650d5b

People have been proclaiming the death of FCS/I-AA for decades. It still exists.

Programs like Nevada, Boise and Marshall, etc have moved up. Others, like Montana, and App State have grown with the openings, and increased attendance to the point where moving up COULD happen. Other schools will setup and take your place if you move up.

Or you could move up, and in 5 years find yourself back in a lower division with the top FCS schools when the REALLY BIG schools decide that FBS has grown too big, and don't want to be weighed down with the likes of SunBelt/WAC/MAC schools...

glsjunior
August 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
I think when the 4 16 team super conferences are formed, the remaining D1 teams should come together to form a new FCS. I think that there are enough marketable non BCS teams that could put together a decent television package.

AppMan
August 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM

I'll drop by from time to time and let you know how things are at the varsity level!

AppMan
August 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM

That sounds a lot like the idea I floated on the CAA board a few days ago.

AppMan
August 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Here is the release from goasu.com

ASU Feasibility Committee Recommends Move to FBS
Courtesy: Appalachian Sports Information
Release: Monday 08/22/2011 (ET)

BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University’s athletics feasibility committee voted on Monday to recommend to ASU Chancellor Dr. Kenneth E. Peacock that, at some future point, Appalachian seek membership in an athletics conference that sponsors football in the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

With signs pointing towards another significant shift in the Division I landscape, the committee held a conference call Monday to formally recommend that the time is right for Appalachian to make its intention to move to FBS known. A formal report of the committee’s findings and analysis will be finalized in the coming weeks.

Dr. Peacock will study the committee’s recommendation and make a recommendation of his own to the ASU Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees must approve any change in Appalachian athletics’ conference and/or football subdivision. A timeline for transition from the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) to FBS, including eligibility for conference championships, the NCAA Division I Football Championship and bowl games, would not be determined until Appalachian accepts membership in a new conference.

The 11-member athletics feasibility committee determined through seven months of study and analysis that Appalachian is best suited for FBS as an institution and an athletics department. In addition to ASU’s unprecedented athletic success, the University’s enrollment of 17,000-plus, its academic philosophy and its strategic vision going forward more closely mirror FBS institutions than its current FCS counterparts.

Committee co-chairperson G.A. Sywassink said, “The analysis of the facts is very clear that FBS is the right place for Appalachian athletics from an across-the-board institutional standpoint. A move to FBS mirrors Appalachian’s strategic vision as a nationally prominent institution and would enhance the University’s academic mission. The committee has worked to develop a blended financial model that ensures that the move would not be made on the backs of students.

“A move to FBS is not imminent. It is essential that we find a conference fit that creates rivalries and makes financial sense. However, with what appears to be another seismic shift in the Division I landscape on the horizon, the committee concluded that it is crucial to make our future intentions known at this time.”

The Mountaineers are already on par with FBS institutions in many respects. Since 2005, Appalachian has ranked 76th or higher each year among 240-plus Division I football programs (FBS and FCS combined) in the Sagarin computer ratings. ASU has also averaged 26,350 fans per regular-season football game, a mark which comes in at nearly 140 percent of Kidd Brewer Stadium’s average official seating capacity during that time. Last year, Appalachian’s average regular-season attendance was 29,449, which was higher than 43 FBS programs.

ASU’s athletic success has not been limited to the gridiron. Over the past five years, Appalachian has earned two postseason National Invitation Tournament berths and appeared in a total of four national postseason tournaments in men’s and women’s basketball, earned a top-50 Ratings Percentage Index ranking in baseball and sent individual athletes to NCAA national competitions in men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track and field and wrestling.

Appalachian athletics received approval from the University’s Board of Trustees in September 2010 to evaluate its options with regards to the changing Division I landscape. ASU contracted Collegiate Consulting LLC (formerly NACDA Consulting) to conduct an independent study of Appalachian’s options within Division I and the athletics feasibility committee was formed in January to analyze the study’s findings. Committee members also considered feedback from dozens of focus groups within the ASU and local communities.
ASU director of athletics Charlie Cobb said, “First of all, I can’t thank the 11 members of the athletics feasibility committee enough for the time, effort and passion that they have put into their analysis over the last seven months.

“The committee has done its due diligence and I agree with their assessment. ASU has been a Division I institution for 40 years with a proven record of success on and off the field. Should Appalachian be provided with the right opportunity within the changing Division I landscape, I agree that Mountaineer athletics can excel across the board at the FBS level.

“However, this is just a first step towards a possible move. The goals of our teams — to compete for Southern Conference and national championships —will not change in the meantime.”

Appalachian football coach Jerry Moore added, “I trust and respect our administration and all of the hard work that they and the committee have put into this issue over the past several months. I fully support the recommendation of the committee and have no doubt that they have the best interests of Appalachian and our athletics department and football program in mind.

“However, this recommendation does not change our focus as players and coaches one bit — it remains fully on preparing to play Virginia Tech on Sept. 3 and going on to compete for a seventh-straight Southern Conference championship.”

Redbirdz
August 22nd, 2011, 11:47 PM
This sounds like what the Board of Trustees at Jacksonville State recently did.

citdog
August 23rd, 2011, 02:00 AM

Bull****! This division is better than it ever has been in its history. It is BIGGER THAN app state normal school for mountain gayboys. So is the Southern Conference. We will somehow figure out how to carry on when you're gone. I hope it's soon or this will be quite comical as you wait for a john to pick you up from your streetcorner.

crossfire07
August 23rd, 2011, 05:14 AM
Here's a look at the differences in the SoCon and Sun Belt:
Normally, there is not 17,000 at a ULL game unless the visiting team brings a boatload of fans and there sure as hell is not 20,000 at a ULM game. The 2009 season, ULM only averaged 13,000. IT IS AMAZING how a bottom feeder that loses 8 or 9 games a year can have one of the highest attendance increases in ALL of NCAA. You REALLY believe everything you read? Talk about a waste if App ends up in the Sun Belch. I thought y'all wanted to MOVE UP!

dgtw
August 23rd, 2011, 06:26 AM
While there are likely a dozen or so FCS schools in the southeast/east that would love to move up, getting them all to do so at once and form a new league would be difficult at best. A lot may balk at the idea of joining a conference made up entirely of FCS teams, as the league would be viewed negatively by the general public as being just a fattened up FCS league. They would be behind the Sun Belt in the public's view.

Cocky
August 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Attendance numbers for SB are not correct. Troy doesnt have anywhere near 29,000 at their games. 19,000 is probably closer to their sales and around 13-14,000 in the seats. ULM looks wrong too.

Here's a look at the differences in the SoCon and SB

Average attendance: (SoCon in bold)
Troy: 29,159
Appalachian State: 25,717
Louisiana-Monroe: 20,934
Middle Tennessee State: 19,024
Florida Atlantic: 18,444
North Texas: 17,781
Georgia Southern: 17,627
Arkansas State: 17,394
Louisiana-Lafayette: 17,383
Florida International: 16,549
Western Kentucky 14,577
Chattanooga: 12,690
The Citadel: 11,445
Furman: 10,594
Wofford: 9,039
WCU: 8,470
Elon: 8,176
Samford: 7,321

Sun Belt Average: 19,027
SoCon Average (minus App State): 10,670

Watching a game in the Superdome in one of the greatest cities in the country vs. watching a game in a soccer stadium in a McMansion hellhole is a no-brainer to me. I'd much rather be in a "dying" city with culture, music, incredible bars, etc. than a "new" city like Frisco with strip malls, asphalt, and suburbia. xlolx Personal taste there, I guess.

And, you want to talk about New Orleans as a "dying city"? Wake up! This subdivision is dying. The biggest problem with FCS is that the best programs end up leaving.

I would love this conference, or something similar:

But, the fact that those programs are thinking about, considering, etc. moving up... does not bode well for the subdivision... particularly in the region... as those are some of the best programs (with exceptions) in the region.

It's been talked about a lot in the discussions and press releases from Appalachian on the feasibility study-- the future of FCS has weighed heavily on their deliberations. If the future of FCS is to continue to lose the best programs... why stay in a "dying" subdivision?

Cocky
August 23rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
ULM may have played a game in another town (maybe Little Rock) that counted as a home game.

phoenix3
August 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
"...earned a top-50 Ratings Percentage Index ranking in baseball..."

xlolxxlolx

Year RPI
2011 134
2010 50
2009 80
2008 77
2007 132

I'll give you this, you certainly have a glass is half full mentality. If that's what it takes you'll go far.

How does the Sun Belt do in baseball? xsmiley_wix

aust42
August 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
IMO, the only logical reason to "move up" would be to join a BCS conference. What are the benefits of joining the Sun Belch Conference? In reality, that's a step down from the SoCon. Conference USA? I guess that's not too bad but you'd still be playing in some meaningless Bowl game as a "reward" for going .500. Someone mentioned their is very little interest in FCS football and the subdivision is dying? Horseshat. It's not dying and there is very little national interest in all the non BCS conferences. Who the F cares about the Sun Belch or Conf USA teams besides their immediate fans? Nobody.

Cocky
August 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Which schools other than App State and JSU have officially announced aspirations of moving to FBS?

I know several fans have mentioned schools but not the schools themselves.

crossfire07
August 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
ULM may have played a game in another town (maybe Little Rock) that counted as a home game.

The NCAA shows those numbers seperate from where they normally call home.

No_Skill
August 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
I have a question.

Which do you think played a larger role in the move up happening, the Championships or the win over Michigan?

Saint3333
August 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM

Last year the Sun Belt was 6th in RPI while the SoCon was 15th. Not that this really matters for conference affiliation.

Saint3333
August 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have a question.

Which do you think played a larger role in the move up happening, the Championships or the win over Michigan?

The changing landscape of Division One football played the biggest role.

Honestly how I think this plays out will be very similar to 1978 when ASU remained Division 1 and then the SoCon moved down to 1-AA. This time around we join the FBS and within 5 years the BCS conferences break off leaving us in the second tier yet again. However remaining at the FCS level would have potentially put us in the third tier of division one.

asumike83
August 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM

xlolxxlolx

Year RPI
2011 134
2010 50
2009 80
2008 77
2007 132

I'll give you this, you certainly have a glass is half full mentality. If that's what it takes you'll go far.

Of course they have a glass is half full mentality, they are university administrators! Plus, the reality is that no conference gives a sh** about our baseball team. It is all about money and therefore, all about football. Anything we can bring to the table in other sports would just be a nice added bonus.

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM

Or did what WKU did - sold thousands of $5 tickets.

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
My opinion on this has been and will still be... I dont care where App plays but I will root for them...

AppAlum2003
August 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM

xlolxxlolx

Year RPI
2011 134
2010 50
2009 80
2008 77
2007 132

I'm still waiting for some Elon fan to tell me exactly how much media coverage their baseball team gets their school... how many scholarship dollars their vaunted baseball success has brought to the school.

Last time I heard the name of the school on ESPN, Tony Kornheiser thought Davidson was playing a European Supermodel in basketball that night.

AppAlum2003
August 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
My opinion on this has been and will still be... I dont care where App plays but I will root for them...

Right attitude, thank you for having a brain in your head.

ElonPride
August 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM

xlolxxlolx

Year RPI
2011 134
2010 50
2009 80
2008 77
2007 132

Phoenix3, I don't think you have a leg to stand on with the Sun Belt baseball sarcasm:

RPI rankings:
2011: Sun Belt #6, SoCon #15 (worst conference rating in recent years)
2010: Sun Belt #7, SoCon #9
2009: Sun Belt #7, SoCon #9
2008: Sun Belt #11, SoCon #8 (only time SoCon comes out on top in the last five years)
2007: Sun Belt #6, SoCon #11

Appaholic
August 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm still waiting for some Elon fan to tell me exactly how much media coverage their baseball team gets their school... how many scholarship dollars their vaunted baseball success has brought to the school.

Last time I heard the name of the school on ESPN, Tony Kornheiser thought Davidson was playing a European Supermodel in basketball that night.

A-fokking-men....btw, how is it that Elon is in the SoCon anyway? Oh, that's right, they moved up from NAIA...traitors....xrolleyesx

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
And how is the FCS solvent? Look at average attendance. The typical FCS school brings about 10,000 fans per game, and loses money. ESPN grows with every contract, while the NCAA is losing legitamacy. How long do you think ESPN can be strong armed into televising the FCS playoffs between fanbases that can't even break 14,000 for a NC game? 8 of the top ten in FCS attendance including 2 out of only 3 schools that avg over 20,000 have already made it their mission, their intention, or their desire to move up. Throw in Texas St, UMASS and Villanova and you've lost a huge chunk of marketable teams. Lose TV, and the FCS is irrelevant.

Appaholic
August 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Bull****! This division is better than it ever has been in its history. It is BIGGER THAN app state normal school for mountain gayboys. So is the Southern Conference. We will somehow figure out how to carry on when you're gone. I hope it's soon or this will be quite comical as you wait for a john to pick you up from your streetcorner.

Bull****. We're tired of carrying the likes of teams like citadel. FCS is relevant as long as the AppSt's, Montana's, Ga Southern's, JMU's, etc continue to play in the division. Lose them and it's amateur hour and seriously, how long do you see them staying? It's unfortunate, but this division is dying. It could be a viable division if the teams in FBS who don't belong would come back (WKU, Troy, Army) and we could move some FCS teams back down where they belong (like El Cid, VMI, Towson) in D2. Citadel being same conference as App St make as much sense as Troy being in same conference as Bama....

phoenix3
August 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Phoenix3, I don't think you have a leg to stand on with the Sun Belt baseball sarcasm:

RPI rankings:
2011: Sun Belt #6, SoCon #15 (worst conference rating in recent years)
2010: Sun Belt #7, SoCon #9
2009: Sun Belt #7, SoCon #9
2008: Sun Belt #11, SoCon #8 (only time SoCon comes out on top in the last five years)
2007: Sun Belt #6, SoCon #11

Actually, that's my point. I think App will do fine in the Sun Belt in football and other sports for that matter. But early on they will be spanked in baseball. I must have confused you with my reverse sarcasm.

I'll be honest, regardless of all of the App/Elon animosity, I'll be sad to see them go, arrogant attitudes and all. They have been a big part of the SoCon being one of the more powerful conferences in FCS. There is no denying that the SoCon will loose more footing to the CAA if the SoCon admin doesn't do something aggressive when they leave. I also feel like it's time for them to go. They have been at the pinnacle of the SoCon and FCS football for a decade. I think if they want to go to the CUSA, they better have already started getting dirt on all of the member presidents and the commissioner, because extortion will be the only way they get an invite. However, should they get an invite to the Sun Belt, they will compete very favorably in football. They will probably do ok in basketball as well. It will just simply be a while before they'll compete in baseball.

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
And how is the FCS solvent? Look at average attendance. The typical FCS school brings about 10,000 fans per game, and loses money. ESPN grows with every contract, while the NCAA is losing legitamacy. How long do you think ESPN can be strong armed into televising the FCS playoffs between fanbases that can't even break 14,000 for a NC game? 8 of the top ten in FCS attendance including 2 out of only 3 schools that avg over 20,000 have already made it their mission, their intention, or their desire to move up. Throw in Texas St, UMASS and Villanova and you've lost a huge chunk of marketable teams. Lose TV, and the FCS is irrelevant.

And you seem to think that lower level FBS is solvent?

Texas State/Umass/Villanova marketable in Football? LOL

asumike83
August 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Actually, that's my point. I think App will do fine in the Sun Belt in football and other sports for that matter. But early on they will be spanked in baseball. I must have confused you with my reverse sarcasm.

I'll be honest, regardless of all of the App/Elon animosity, I'll be sad to see them go, arrogant attitudes and all. They have been a big part of the SoCon being one of the more powerful conferences in FCS. There is no denying that the SoCon will loose more footing to the CAA if the SoCon admin doesn't do something aggressive when they leave. I also feel like it's time for them to go. They have been at the pinnacle of the SoCon and FCS football for a decade. I think if they want to go to the CUSA, they better have already started getting dirt on all of the member presidents and the commissioner, because extortion will be the only way they get an invite. However, should they get an invite to the Sun Belt, they will compete very favorably in football. They will probably do ok in basketball as well. It will just simply be a while before they'll compete in baseball.

I definitely understand where you're coming from and agree for the most part in regards to what the SoCon needs to do going forward and how ASU would be situated in the Sun Belt. However, I think it is way too early to count out C-USA. When the chips start falling, that conference is very likely to lose some teams and ASU would be in the running for a bid. The Conference USA brass can say now that they have no plans to add a team on the East coast but if/when the Big 12/Big East/ACC pluck some of their teams, their tone will likely change.

SideLine Shooter
August 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
I have a question.

I think it is all about money.

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
And you seem to think that lower level FBS is solvent?

Texas State/Umass/Villanova marketable in Football? LOL

Its all about name recognition. So yes. If someone sees Villanova playing on TV, they are more likely to watch than say a Morgan St.

Mountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
One thing is for certain, as BigApp would say: there's a large root for the Apps (in football) but love those Heels contingent out there. Lots of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing, which makes the press release a-okay in my book. xlolx

TheRevSFA
August 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
this will be good for App if they do it correctly. I think CUSA is the best conference for them to go in to...however I bet you have to use the Sun Belt as the stepping stone.

Smitty
August 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah but it isn't really a stepping stone. Might as well stay put until the correct conference comes up.

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Right attitude, thank you for having a brain in your head.

some people on this website dont think i do... but that is neither here nor there...

Waco Kid
August 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM

Well that's ok because we have 3 to look at when we get nostalgic. Don't worry though, you can come check them out when we schedule you for Homecoming.

Waco Kid
August 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Just one more question Citdog. Why do you care what we do? Your talking about it more than our own people.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Its all about name recognition. So yes. If someone sees Villanova playing on TV, they are more likely to watch than say a Morgan St.

Villanova football isn't even marketable to their own fans/community.

I'll give you Umass because it is a state U that draws pretty well. Their band is also pretty famous.

ElonFirefighter
August 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Just one more question Citdog. Why do you care what we do? Your talking about it more than our own people.

Because there is not much to talk about when it comes to his own school.

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Villanova football isn't even marketable to their own fans/community.

I'll give you Umass because it is a state U that draws pretty well. Their band is also pretty famous.

You've prolly got a better viewpoint on Villanova than me, I havent been up there in years. But, I personally would choose a Villanova over say an Elon, or some directional U.

By the way, Im really hoping Lehigh has a great season. My dad grew up there, if App ends up travelling, I'd love to take him. Beautiful country up there.

chattownmocs
August 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. App State is nothing without FCS football. They are the next marshall without the early FBS success. What a laughable decision this is. They actually have a profile because of the FCS. They will be another nobody. Not to mention it is all for not, because the programs that you are in a hurry to join, are going to be dropping down to FCS after conference realignment. Duh, are you idiots blind? They will be fed up with the BCS superconferences and join conferences like the SOCON to create another playoff division.

AtlantaMountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. App State is nothing without FCS football. They are the next marshall without the early FBS success. What a laughable decision this is. They actually have a profile because of the FCS. They will be another nobody. Not to mention it is all for not, because the programs that you are in a hurry to join, are going to be dropping down to FCS after conference realignment. Duh, are you idiots blind? They will be fed up with the BCS superconferences and join conferences like the SOCON to create another playoff division.

Now I know it's the right decision, since the all knowing Chattownmocs who thinks Chatty is the epicenter of the FCS universe dislikes it.

SideLine Shooter
August 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Now I know its the right decision, since the all knowing Chattownmocs who things Chatty is the epicenter of the FCS universe dislikes it.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

ASU3481
August 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Come on guy's we all know that Chattanooga is always in hunt for the FBS and FCS National Titles.

citdog
August 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM

When a friend is ****ing up do you stay silent and say that it doesn't concern you?

Appaholic
August 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM

What's he gonna talk about? El cid's success on the gridiron? They had as much success in football as they did in the courtroom against Faulkner. If you haven't noticed, Citdog, like other "suthren's" stuck in the past, is good at making declarations.....follow through, not so much (see American Civil War - 1865).....

Mountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
When a friend is ****ing up do you stay silent and say that it doesn't concern you?

Is this like App's had too many beers and you're trying to get the keys to the car? :D

Appaholic
August 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM

No, you attack his property and then cry foul when he blockades the property your are renting from him and starves you...

citdog
August 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
What's he gonna talk about? El cid's success on the gridiron? They had as much success in football as they did in the courtroom against Faulkner. If you haven't noticed, Citdog, like other "suthren's" stuck in the past, is good at making declarations.....follow through, not so much (see American Civil War - 1865).....

I could speak of battlefield victories by the South Carolina Corps of Cadets over the Army of the 'late united states' if you would prefer. Killing 360,000 of the vile yankee invader and taking on the most powerful nation on the earth with nothing more than a JUST and HOLY CAUSE and Southern GUTS and STEEL is MUCH more than hollow words.

Skjellyfetti
August 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
- If Appalachian State University officials wanted to know how its recommendation to pursue a move to the Football Bowl Subdivision would be received, it occurred before - not after - the announcement was made on Monday.

By 4:30 a.m., the first three of about 600 students began lining up on campus to shell out $48 a ticket for the Mountaineers' season-opening game at Virginia Tech on Sept. 3.

Had the university allowed camping out the day before fall classes began on Tuesday, students would have pulled their first all-nighter of the semester.

Surely, big games and big bucks appear to be a part of ASU's future. For several years now, no program in the Football Championship Subdivision has been better suited for the jump to the FBS than the Southern Conference power.

It's probably a formality that ASU's chancellor and board of trustees will approve the recommendation of the 11-member athletics feasibility committee, which ended a seven-month study with Monday's announcement.

As ASU athletics director Charlie Cobb said on a conference call Tuesday, the university has to declare its intentions and then "figure out where the (college athletic) world's going."

To Cobb, the financial divide that exists in Division I athletics is not between the FBS and FCS, but between the BCS conferences and the rest of Division I.

So there's no doubt where ASU would want to be on that divide.

It's long been felt that ASU, the FCS national champion under head coach Jerry Moore for three straight years from 2005-07, has nothing else to prove on the level formerly known as NCAA Division I-AA and that it would move - or, according to official terms, "reposition" - to the FBS, presumably to Conference USA or, to a lesser degree, the Sun Belt Conference.

But when you consider ASU football wins as much as any Division I program, had an average regular-season attendance (29,449) last year that was higher than 43 FBS programs and has since expanded Kidd Brewer Stadium, may, just maybe, the university hopes an even bigger opportunity will come along - whether directly or in a two-step move of conferences.

You didn't need an earthquake on the Atlantic Coast on Tuesday to realize what conference would offer ASU the biggest and best opportunity.

"We look very much like an FBS program in a lot of different metrics," Cobb said.

"We have some aspirations if things were to go the right direction. We're going to work and see if we can identify some opportunities, but also I think part of the strategy frankly was to let people know that we have these aspirations and doing it in an official capacity."

"If we're going to contemplate a step like this and not be competitive in the future, it would be the silliest thing in the world," added G.A. Sywassink, the feasibility committee co-chairperson. "We think we can in fact do that or we wouldn't go ahead with this decision."

Cobb feels the difference between FCS programs that succeeded or didn't succeed after moving to the FBS level is in the way they built rivalries afterward, allowing alumni and fans to develop a connection to an entirely new set of opponents. Ultimately, that means people will pay the higher prices for the higher level of competition - ala Appalachian State-Virginia Tech.

The Mountaineers program could have natural rivalries in Conference USA such as East Carolina and Marshall. If it ever landed on the other side of the rainbow with an ACC pot of gold, there's potential rivalries with the likes of North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.

Sure dreams of the ACC might be far-fetched outside Boone, N.C., but did you believe in recent years that Nebraska would be hanging with Michigan and Ohio State instead of Oklahoma and Texas or that TCU would fit smack in the Big East?

So it's worth ASU's while to see how the Atlantic Coast turns, so to speak.

Cobb says the feasibility committee wanted to make its announcement before ASU's season opener and not distract from the season ahead. But opening with a game against Virginia Tech seems ideal to the level the Mountaineers aspire to reach in the future.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
The Mountaineers program could have natural rivalries in Conference USA such as East Carolina and Marshall. If it ever landed on the other side of the rainbow with an ACC pot of gold, there's potential rivalries with the likes of North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.

Sure dreams of the ACC might be far-fetched outside Boone, N.C., but did you believe in recent years that Nebraska would be hanging with Michigan and Ohio State instead of Oklahoma and Texas or that TCU would fit smack in the Big East?

xlolx xlolx

DKHardee
August 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Go to the FBS and test it a few years. Maybe the SoCon will bring you back after a while.

Skjellyfetti
August 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Go to the FBS and test it a few years. Maybe the SoCon will bring you back after a while.

Yeah, because schools that move up always end up dropping down, right?

In fact, there are so many schools dropping down from FBS to FCS that the NCAA actually had to place a moratorium to slow the bleeding. xrolleyesx

dgtw
August 23rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think if C-USA gets raided, they'll go after Sun Belt schools. I don't see them taking in a team stright from FCS.

AppMan
August 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM

I was with you right up until you started busting on the Southern folks. And by the way it was the War For Southern Independence.

ASUMountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
IMO, the only logical reason to "move up" would be to join a BCS conference. What are the benefits of joining the Sun Belch Conference? In reality, that's a step down from the SoCon. Conference USA? I guess that's not too bad but you'd still be playing in some meaningless Bowl game as a "reward" for going .500. Someone mentioned their is very little interest in FCS football and the subdivision is dying? Horseshat. It's not dying and there is very little national interest in all the non BCS conferences. Who the F cares about the Sun Belch or Conf USA teams besides their immediate fans? Nobody.

xlolx So, we should just stay in a situation just like you described where we paid SportSouth $44k/ year to show our games or play on PBS.

citdog
August 23rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
xlolx So, we should just stay in a situation just like you described where we paid SportSouth $44k/ year to show our games or play on PBS.

Also espn3

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Congrats to App, moving to FBS is the correct move for any school that can reasonable meet the requirements.

FCS is nothing more than DII with 63 scholarships. The FCS playoffs are a joke to the national media - no better marketed or publicized than the DII playoffs.

ASU will gain more national recognition from playing in lower tier bowl games than they ever will playing in the FCS playoffs. And when home games against Marshall and ECU come (and they will), ASU will sell more season tickets and bring in more revenue than ever before.

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
I think if C-USA gets raided, they'll go after Sun Belt schools. I don't see them taking in a team stright from FCS.

Well that settles it. Unpack the bags boys, we're staying!

ASUMountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Also espn3

That makes it so much better. You're right my Kosher friend, no reason ASU should move up, Alabama is undoubtedly jealous of our situation. ;)

DTSpider
August 23rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
All depends on the numbers. If Appy State can routinely get 40k+ (which i know would require expansion) than would not be surprised if Big East comes calling. I'd have to imagine it is the same theory that JMU is following. Especially if you can get the attendance up over 50k than the conference situation will work itself out.

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Congrats to App, moving to FBS is the correct move for any school that can reasonable meet the requirements.

FCS is nothing more than DII with 63 scholarships. The FCS playoffs are a joke to the national media - no better marketed or publicized than the DII playoffs.

ASU will gain more national recognition from playing in lower tier bowl games than they ever will playing in the FCS playoffs. And when home games against Marshall and ECU come (and they will), ASU will sell more season tickets and bring in more revenue than ever before.

So does this offset Chattymocs opinion?

All depends on the numbers. If Appy State can routinely get 40k+ (which i know would require expansion) than would not be surprised if Big East comes calling. I'd have to imagine it is the same theory that JMU is following. Especially if you can get the attendance up over 50k than the conference situation will work itself out.

Big East is NOT coming calling. Never. Unless All the current Big East members go elsewhere.

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
So Jelly - how is App State gonna pay for the move?

Accelerati Incredibilus
August 23rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=citdog;1658842]Bull****! This division is better than it ever has been in its history.QUOTE]

That is about the dumbest thing I've ever read. I think all those flea & tick collars have finally killed off your last two remaining brain cells.

Accelerati Incredibilus
August 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM

Finally! A voice of reason and common sense.

dbackjon
August 23rd, 2011, 10:37 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

citdog
August 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=citdog;1658842]Bull****! This division is better than it ever has been in its history.QUOTE]

That statement makes it official. You are a idiot.

Incredibilus gaywadius please tell me when the division has been better than it is right now. The talent level is FAR superior than in my day and the quality of play is also much better. Pray tell, schmeckleti nuzzlerbilus, when this division has been better? Did you ever play the game?

citdog
August 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PM

And you said I was an idiot!

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

Squealofthepig
August 23rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.

As am I. App is in pretty good shape to make the move (other than paying to get out of the Southern Conference, but that could be addressed by timing, depending on who/when an invite comes) - having their athletics separated from their academics gets around a lot of the politics/fingers that other universities might face.

I wonder, too, if there are any backdoor deals in the works, in terms of conversations with other east-coast conferences. The Big East seems to be a pipedream (and I would say that of any FCS team trying to join a BCS conference immediately after a move), but I could see App establishing itself in the MAC or C-USA or, God help them, the Sunbelt and eventually moving to the ACC.

For now, they're FCS, and it's good to keep the Rock here - at least until someone extends an invite up.

Green26
August 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM

This statement is incorrect. In fact, it is ridiculous.

FBS is not the right move any school that can meet the requirements. It depends on the school. It depends on the FBS conference. It depends on the financial situation of the school. Remaining in FCS is the right choice for many school that can meet the requirements of FCS.

The FCS playoffs are not a joke to anyone. They are one of the very best things in all of college football. As for your comment about the media, I was standing next to former Montana coach Bobby Hauck when he was introduced to Chris Berman at the Ivy football dinner in NYC in early 2009, just following UM's loss to Richmond. Berman immediately was warm to Hauck and congratulated him on a great season and unfortunate loss in the championship game. Just an antecdote, but nevertheless a good indication of the media feels about the FCS playoffs.

FCS teams play with FBS teams in the same division in all sports, except football. D-II plays only with other D-II schools, not with FCS.

FCS is in good shape these days. It is an affordable way for schools to have good athletics and good football. Some believe it will be an alternative for lower level FBS teams that can't keep up in FBS and are suffering financially.

App-a-latch-un
August 24th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I'm thrilled! My excitement has nothing to do with any dislike for the SoCon, I love it here, but I think it's time to move. Playoffs and championships are great, but looking forward to big games during the regular season will be just as great. I will continue to watch and pull for the SoCon forever. Hopefully some of you will join us in the years to come

We still have this season to play and it's just important as ever, I just hope that this isn't a distraction for our team and our pursuit for another title.

clenz
August 24th, 2011, 02:44 AM

xlolx xlolx
TCU isn't really anymore of an outlier in the Big East than they were in the MWC.

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Hahahahahahaha! :)

That was pretty funny. You can go home and tell your wives all about it.

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the neg rep, Citidog! You are a piss poor example to Jews everywhere and to Judaism. As for my many wives? If I were to marry 700 women like King Solomon from the Old Testament did, I would at least love them rather than tell them they were unwelcomed because they were female. Maybe The Citadel could learn that. Your school is nothing more than a George Wallace-ran racist University of Alabama, except Alabama actually had a football team.

Just returning the love you sent me cultist fbs scum. I may be a poor Jew, only Yahweh knows my heart, but my culture is THOUSANDS of years old and REAL and not made up by a charlatan reading non-existent plates out of a top hat. My school is known all over the globe for the GLORIOUS deeds and supreme sacrifice made by our men. Don't take my word for it.....ask the mexicans, yankee sewer trash, spanish, germans, wops, japs, north koreans, chinese, viets, iraqi's, taliban, and libya. You really should just have a coke and a smile and perhaps some pre marital sex.

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Oh, and as a reminder, Citidog, I have you ignored, so I'm not reading your posts. I just read your nasty comment you left me when I laughed at your clearly laughable and sorry, pathetic excuse of an institution. Bigoted against females and an overall winning percentage in football at 0.470 which ranks 90th among current FCS teams. . . . .which is also pathetic.

By the way, the South still lost. Get over it.

Just like a cult member.....can't BEAR to hear the TRUTH so you ignore it and stick with other members of the cult. The Citadel is FAR more known around this planet and more widely respected than your cult run school named for a sexual deviant. Our percentage is accurate and not bad at all when one has knowledge of WHO we played for the 70 years before the formation of I-aa.

We're only restin' for a bit. At least we had the GUTS to fight for what we believed in and for our own country TOTALLY unlike the namesake of your cult ran school who fled ingloriously whenever the U.S. Army came within 100 miles of him and his cowardly followers.

dgtw
August 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the neg rep, Citidog! You are a piss poor example to Jews everywhere and to Judaism. As for my many wives? If I were to marry 700 women like King Solomon from the Old Testament did, I would at least love them rather than tell them they were unwelcomed because they were female. Maybe The Citadel could learn that (cite Shannon Faulkner contraversy). Your school is nothing more than a George Wallace-ran racist University of Alabama, except Alabama actually had a football team.

P.S. The South lost. Get over it.

The Mormons have such a long history of openess toward minorities. What year was it they let blacks in? 1973?

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Northern Arizona's only game against a Sun Belt Conference team since the league began in 2001 was a nasty 48-25 thrashing at the hands of then brand new Florida Atlantic in 2003. I really don't think a Northern Arizona fan has any merit to bash the Sun Belt Conference. Also, don't assume that Appalachian State would have to travel to Texas either, especially if the Sun Belt is able to move to a 12-team format that would likely be divided in East/West regions like its other 12-team sports are. Also, don't assume that Appalachian State would automatically go to the Sun Belt because if the $EC goes to 16 and the Pac-12 does the same as many expect, the Big XII will be gutted while the ACC may lose a member or two. The Big XII has already made it known they'll pursue Houston to replace Texas A&M, and Memphis, SMU, and Tulsa are also on their radar. The Big LEast has also made their intentions of taking up ECU and Central Florida in the event that they are raided again. If CUSA loses as many members as they could, they'll likely be replaced by a mix of Sun Belt schools, Louisiana Tech, and Appalachian State.

Sure an NAU fan can bash the SunBelch. NAU knows what level of competition fits it's economic situation, unlike the Wannabees in the SunBelch that have made the "look-at-me, I'm IMPORTANT, Dammit!" move DOWN to the Sunbelt, then have to have local businesses buy thousands of $5 tickets just to increase attendance to get close to the 15K mark.

Big East will NOT take ECU - that is a pipe dream (unless the Big East loses all members worth a damn, and is Big East in name only).

If, If, if...

It is more likely that the Big boys will break away, and the SunBelch will find it self back in a level with the top FCS confernences.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
At least do your research before you spout venom. Detroit's Little Caesar's Bowl was a secondary tie-in that was never filled by the primary tie-in B1G Twen Conference except when Purdue beat Central Michigan a couple of years back. The Sun Belt has two bowl tie-ins which are in New Orleans and Mobile, Alabama. Both of those cities are gorgeous, and I seriously have my doubts that you have personally visited either one.

P.S. Both of the Sun Belt's bowl games drew higher attendances and Nielson TV Ratings than the FCS National Championship game last season.

I fully realize that right now, the Slum Bowl is a secondary tie-in. that is usually filled by the SunBelch, which you illistrated for me, bigot boy. I also remember when MTSU got it's first bowl bid (living in Nashville then) and they had to beg people to buy tickets to donate to Detroit youth, so they could say they sold more than 1,000 tickets

Mobile, gorgeous? LMAO. And yes, I have been to Mobile a number of times. Been to New Orleans, as well.

I have personal doubts you have ever lived outside your Mom's basement, so I guess we are even....

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
An NAU fan getting in the mix, now that is rich! Do y'all still have a football team out there? Last time I recall seeing you guys was in '07 when you came to Boone so we could give Armanti the week off to let our back-up QB could do work on you and get the team warmed up for the conference slate.

You must have been drinking too much moonshine that week. Every other App Fan acknowledged that NAU gave App State a great game, and how well NAU played. Way to be an ***.

I have nothing but respect for App State. I wish them well. Just don't try to polish a turd (SunBelch) and tell me it is a diamond. Don't tell me that FCS is dyingm, and will go downhill without ASU, and App State is too good for it.

If you want to move up, just acknowledge that ASU has aspirations that include C-USA at some point, and will it sucks, the SunBelt is a means to an end.

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM
You must have been drinking too much moonshine that week. Every other App Fan acknowledged that NAU gave App State a great game, and how well NAU played. Way to be an ***.

I have nothing but respect for App State. I wish them well. Just don't try to polish a turd (SunBelch) and tell me it is a diamond. Don't tell me that FCS is dyingm, and will go downhill without ASU, and App State is too good for it.

If you want to move up, just acknowledge that ASU has aspirations that include C-USA at some point, and will it sucks, the SunBelt is a means to an end.

Y'all played us tough for 45 minutes and it was close going into the 4th, but I was just giving you hell. If I misinterpreted your comments, my bad. I actually deleted my post for that reason, but not in time. If our teams meet again, you got a beer on me.

I actually agree about the Sun Belt, I think Conference USA is the goal and it's probably a few years away. My hope is that we'll stay in the SoCon until the time is right and we can get into C-USA, but if it comes down to a 'now or never' situation and the only way to get our foot in the door is the Sun Belt, then I'll deal with it. As for the FCS, I absolutely disagree that it will die without App State. FCS is good football and I will always follow it, and I will thoroughly enjoy our time in the SoCon as long as it lasts.

813Jag
August 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
At least do your research before you spout venom. Detroit's Little Caesar's Bowl was a secondary tie-in that was never filled by the primary tie-in B1G Twen Conference except when Purdue beat Central Michigan a couple of years back. The Sun Belt has two bowl tie-ins which are in New Orleans and Mobile, Alabama. Both of those cities are gorgeous, and I seriously have my doubts that you have personally visited either one.

P.S. Both of the Sun Belt's bowl games drew higher attendances and Nielson TV Ratings than the FCS National Championship game last season.
I don't have a dog in this fight but New Orleans and Mobile gorgeous? xlolx xlolx xlolx And just to throw it out there, I spent half my life in New Orleans, and went to Mobile almost every year for the Gulf Coast Classic (Southern/Alabama St) Have you seen the area Ladd stadium sits in?

Seriously, I've been around for the New Orleans bowl, nobody in Louisiana even knows the game exists. Hell the Indepence bowl gets more coverage, which ain't much to begin with.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Y'all played us tough for 45 minutes and it was close going into the 4th, but I was just giving you hell. If I misinterpreted your comments, my bad. I actually deleted my post for that reason, but not in time. If our teams meet again, you got a beer on me.

I actually agree about the Sun Belt, I think Conference USA is the goal and it's probably a few years away. My hope is that we'll stay in the SoCon until the time is right and we can get into C-USA, but if it comes down to a 'now or never' situation and the only way to get our foot in the door is the Sun Belt, then I'll deal with it. As for the FCS, I absolutely disagree that it will die without App State. FCS is good football and I will always follow it, and I will thoroughly enjoy our time in the SoCon as long as it lasts.

Good deal!! :)

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight but New Orleans and Mobile gorgeous? xlolx xlolx xlolx And just to throw it out there, I spent half my life in New Orleans, and went to Mobile almost every year for the Gulf Coast Classic (Southern/Alabama St) Have you seen the area Ladd stadium sits in?

Seriously, I've been around for the New Orleans bowl, nobody in Louisiana even knows the game exists. Hell the Indepence bowl gets more coverage, which ain't much to begin with.

That may be true, but given a choice of a city to party in, I will take New Orleans any day!

xbeerchugx

Smitty
August 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM
The Appalachian State athletics program is like the gorgeous, intelligent, mature-beyond-her-years high school girl who lives in a small town.

She is so above dating the guys at her school, bored with their clumsy attempts to match up with her, but has few options because of geography and the comfortable position of superiority she’s reluctant to admit she really enjoys.

Being prepared to move is wise.

Moving for the sake of moving, for no better reason than the belief you have outgrown your present success, could prove to be a step backward.

Good article showing both views from Asheville Citizen Times (http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110824/SPORTS/308240024/Jarrett-App-football-wants-move-up-has-no-place-go?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports)

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Good article showing both views from Asheville Citizen Times (http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110824/SPORTS/308240024/Jarrett-App-football-wants-move-up-has-no-place-go?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports)

Great article, I could not agree more.

813Jag
August 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
That may be true, but given a choice of a city to party in, I will take New Orleans any day!

xbeerchugx
xbeerchugx I agree totally, just saying the city isn't gorgeous.

biggie
August 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
xbeerchugx I agree totally, just saying the city isn't gorgeous.
Smelling like urine about year round isn't helping it.

813Jag
August 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Smelling like urine about year round isn't helping it.
what do you mean? the urine is the roux for french quarter gumbo.

ASUMountaineer
August 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM

In the words of a former I-AA/SoCon star, "Straight cash, homie."

xlolx

No idea yet, but the committee (at least as I understand it) is supposed to be releasing financial plans shortly.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM
In the words of a former I-AA/SoCon star, "Straight cash, homie."

xlolx

No idea yet, but the committee (at least as I understand it) is supposed to be releasing financial plans shortly.

Will be interested in seeing their plan.

SunBelt members barely get more than SoCon members from the NCAA. App State already finances most of it's department from ticket sales and student fees. Hard to see either going up much.

ASUMountaineer
August 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM

This is precisely what I believe the situation to be. If it's the necessary track, so be it. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
August 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Will be interested in seeing their plan.

SunBelt members barely get more than SoCon members from the NCAA. App State already finances most of it's department from ticket sales and student fees. Hard to see either going up much.

Yes, it will be interesting to see their findings. I have said before, and I'll say it now, I still think it's CUSA or bust. However, "circumstances on the ground" could dictate otherwise.

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yes, it will be interesting to see their findings. I have said before, and I'll say it now, I still think it's CUSA or bust. However, "circumstances on the ground" could dictate otherwise.

Yeah, I really think Sun Belt would be a back-up plan if it comes to that. Charlie Cobb has gone on record as saying that the primary difference between programs that succeeded in their move up and those who failed was generating/reviving rivalries. To me, that means he is looking at Marshall/ECU in Conference USA. Patience will be the key, because we'll have to wait for the chips to fall to get into C-USA and that is probably a few years out. There is more being made of this than there should be, because nothing is going to happen now. I think we are just making our intentions known so that the door is open if/when we get the opportunity to walk through it.

Plus, I could be wrong, but didn't the study reveal that ASU already generates more revenue from ticket sales, merchandise, corporate sponsors, etc. than all the Sun Belt and MAC programs? Seems to me that there would be no real financial gain there, not to mention it makes no sense geographically.

BearsCountry
August 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM
App State isn't going to CUSA.

NHwildEcat
August 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Somehow in this thread about App making a decision to test the FBS waters, UNH got thrown out with the trash again...I guess I am not too surprised by the moronic ramblings of a glorified community college fan, after all Georgia State is just learning to crawl in FCS.

App should do what is best for them and they believe a move up would be so good for them. The sky is not falling (although it seems a lot of ppl on here think it is) on the world of FCS. We will survive and continue to play for a true national championship in a competitive environment that encourages our athletes to also be students. Some schools may end up moving up from D2 in the future or some financially struggling schools may move down from FBS instead of closing up their doors to the game all together. Time will tell how things shake out, the situation in college football is certainly fluid and will change many times in the decade ahead. Hell 10 years ago there was no CAA football as we now know it.

So for those crying for the doomsday of FCS...just wait.

Oh, and the FCS playoffs are remarkable...its funny how now that App wants to make a move up that the playoffs are so unimpotant and "JV" save it you chumps.

BigApp
August 24th, 2011, 12:30 PM
One thing is for certain, as BigApp would say: there's a large root for the Apps (in football) but love those Heels contingent out there. Lots of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing, which makes the press release a-okay in my book. xlolx

+1

Saint3333
August 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Enjoy the NEC.

BigApp
August 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Oh boy? Yes boy?!? Bellhop, please? Could you see to it that our luggage gets to our limo? It's the black leather Samsonite set with Gold trim. We have a one-way ticket to our destination. Our flight leaves in a few years.

Thank you boy bellhop, we'll be sure to tip you accordingly. Adieu!

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Oh boy? Yes boy?!? Bellhop, please? Could you see to it that our luggage gets to our limo? It's the black leather Samsonite set with Gold trim. We have a one-way ticket to our destination. Our flight leaves in a few years.

Thank you boy bellhop, we'll be sure to tip you accordingly. Adieu!

That joke was pretty funny when my Grandfather was a Cadet you unoriginal bastard.

Waco Kid
August 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I really think Sun Belt would be a back-up plan if it comes to that. Charlie Cobb has gone on record as saying that the primary difference between programs that succeeded in their move up and those who failed was generating/reviving rivalries. To me, that means he is looking at Marshall/ECU in Conference USA. Patience will be the key, because we'll have to wait for the chips to fall to get into C-USA and that is probably a few years out. There is more being made of this than there should be, because nothing is going to happen now. I think we are just making our intentions known so that the door is open if/when we get the opportunity to walk through it.

Plus, I could be wrong, but didn't the study reveal that ASU already generates more revenue from ticket sales, merchandise, corporate sponsors, etc. than all the Sun Belt and MAC programs? Seems to me that there would be no real financial gain there, not to mention it makes no sense geographically.

Exactly right Mike. Sun Belt (at least in its current form) is not an option for ASU. It makes no sense for the team, the fans, and most importantly the wallet. We're waiting to see what happens with the BCS leagues and how those changes trickle down to the rest of FBS. People say we can't get into CUSA, but once changes start to take place CUSA among others will look much different. Just reading between the lines it sounds like our desired conference would be CUSA (current or new makeup) or an all new conference on the east coast. Sun Belt and MAC aren't going to happen.

Mountaineer
August 24th, 2011, 01:51 PM
+1

Good to see you about. xbowx

Skjellyfetti
August 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
FBS
Appalachian State’s feasibility-study committee has made its recommendation that the Mountaineers should move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision, but it’s still a wait-and-see as to what FBS conference might take the Mountaineers up on their aspiration.

And the goal is, according to athletics director Charlie Cobb and committee co-chairman G.A. Sywassink, not to just go to the FBS but to find a conference that makes sense in terms of geography, cost-containment, profile enhancement and the development or re-establishment of natural rivals.

How long that will take is anybody’s guess, but another round of membership shakeups among FBS conferences could get the ball rolling.

“I don’t think anybody has envisioned a specific timeline, but we certainly have some ideas going ahead,” Cobb said during a media teleconference today. “One of the things we’re going to look at is some future game contracts – where a payout if we play a road game will be based on if we’re an FCS or FBS member – but we are going to be at the mercy a little bit of what transitioning occurs above us, with some of the other BCS leagues.”

The committee concluded that a move to the right FBS conference would be viable for ASU fiscally and competitively. Cobb said that what the Mountaineers’ football program has to offer is very much in line with many FBS programs now.

“I think, frankly, you could take eight to 10 FCS schools right now, even minus 23 scholarships, and you could compete with a good majority of the FBS programs,” Cobb said.

And, he said, “The divide that exists in Division I athletics right now financially is not between FBS and FCS, the divide is truly between the BCS and the rest of Division I.”

The recommendation to move up to the FBS is as much about ASU’s future as it is its present.

He said that ASU’s growth in recent years, and its success in football, has put it well ahead of where it was not too many years ago. He cited Virginia Tech as a model, of where it was 25 years ago and he sees a lot of similarities to Virginia Tech then and ASU now.

But the key question remains where ASU could land in terms of conference affiliation at the FBS level. Perhaps Conference USA, or perhaps a restructured conference with members similar to ASU’s profile. Or perhaps another opportunity could arise if movement from one conference to another gets in high gear.

The goal, and perhaps mandate, is a smart fit.

“You get into geography, I think it would be pretty simple especially in this era of cost-containment,” Cobb said, “but you certainly have to put yourself in position.”

Which is what ASU is doing, but with hopes of finding a conference situation that makes geographical sense.

“You can take for example our first game with Virginia Tech,” Cobb said. “It’s less than three hours from Boone, it’s less than five hours from Charlotte, which is a big alumni base, and we’ve sold over 5,000 tickets for Appalachian to play at Virginia Tech. I think that means something to Virginia Tech when they look at filling out a home schedule.

“I think the geography of any conference alignment, especially those that don’t have the massive TV money that BCS schools have, (is something) you have to be very cognizant of.”

While the waiting game might take a while, Cobb hopes that the announcement of ASU’s intentions to go FBS will help get it ahead of the curve in terms of possible conference opportunities. The timing of the recommendation is a strategic move to position ASU in preparation for a changing landscape in college football.

“I think it was first and foremost to put those intentions out there from a future standpoint and give us the ability over the next period of time to figure out exactly where the college-football world is going,” Cobb said.

Cobb is aware that not all ASU fans are on board with the idea, but said that he is confident the majority are. The past success is part of the impetus for wanting to compete at the highest level.

“We recognize that we are very much in a very successful pattern,” Cobb said. “We have won more (football) games than any school in Division I the last six years. Our crowds have been fantastic. So has our fundraising on a relatively basis.”

Cobb said that he has talked with coaches of other sports at ASU and they have embraced the idea of a possible move from the Southern Conference to another conference that, at the FBS level, likely will offer the challenge of stiffer competition in other sports.

“When we first broached this idea with our coaches several months ago not one coach had reservations about it,” Cobb said. “I think that speaks volumes about the mentality of wanting to compete at a higher level.”

Among questions raised during today’s teleconference dealt with increase in ticket prices if the Mountaineers move to the FBS level, and the necessity of increasing stadium capacity at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

“We’ve looked at a number of different financial models,” Cobb said in regard to ticket costs. “I wouldn’t necessarily say we’re going to raise ticket prices. I think a lot of it depends on who you play.”

Stadium expansion could happen.

“That’s part of the conversation,” Cobb said. “We realize that we would need to do some facility improvements – not as much as what we’ve done in the last six years – but we would definitely need to look at some additional seating but that’s all part of the process going forward.”

Cobb said that he has talked with John Iamarino, the Southern Conference commissioner, throughout the study-committee process.

“I think it’s been pretty important to keep him in the loop,” Cobb said. “We had a fairly lengthy conversation (Monday) and, not to put words in his mouth, but it was a very positive conversation. He certainly understands what we’re thinking and appreciates the fact that we have been as open and up front.”

If ASU leaves, it would have to pay the SoCon $300,000 if it gives a two-year notice, or $600,000 if it’s a one-year notice.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/app_trail/

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 04:23 PM
App State isn't going to CUSA.

Not immediately, you're right. Nobody knows what changes will occur over the next few years though, and I'd rather be prepared than sitting on my hands if the opportunity comes along.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Exactly right Mike. Sun Belt (at least in its current form) is not an option for ASU. It makes no sense for the team, the fans, and most importantly the wallet. We're waiting to see what happens with the BCS leagues and how those changes trickle down to the rest of FBS. People say we can't get into CUSA, but once changes start to take place CUSA among others will look much different. Just reading between the lines it sounds like our desired conference would be CUSA (current or new makeup) or an all new conference on the east coast. Sun Belt and MAC aren't going to happen.

Don't go all Texas A&M and show up to the party uninvited.

My question is this: If this conference alignment armageddon happens, what assures App that it will be in something that resembles the modern CUSA? If the cream all rises to the top, that is, moves to the bigger conferences, is it not possible that the CUSA will just turn into the Sun Belt after all the CUSA teams have been picked off to join the Big East or ACC? Even if they do create a "new" east coast conference, what is to guarantee that it isn't just going to be all the homeless Sun Belt teams or the CUSA teams no one wants?

Just look at what happened to the WAC as a model. The good teams bolted for greener pastures, the WAC (to save their product) starts finding whatever schools will join them to fill a roster. What's to keep that from happening on the east coast?

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Don't go all Texas A&M and show up to the party uninvited.

My question is this: If this conference alignment armageddon happens, what assures App that it will be in something that resembles the modern CUSA? If the cream all rises to the top, that is, moves to the bigger conferences, is it not possible that the CUSA will just turn into the Sun Belt after all the CUSA teams have been picked off to join the Big East or ACC? Even if they do create a "new" east coast conference, what is to guarantee that it isn't just going to be all the homeless Sun Belt teams or the CUSA teams no one wants?

Just look at what happened to the WAC as a model. The good teams bolted for greener pastures, the WAC (to save their product) starts finding whatever schools will join them to fill a roster. What's to keep that from happening on the east coast?

That is definitely a possibility and something to consider. However, I think our biggest motivation to go C-USA is pre-existing rivalries with ECU and Marshall, so as long as they stay put it would be a good fit. One of them could get scooped up by a BCS conference, but I doubt it.

Charlie Cobb has done a great job in his time at ASU and I trust that he and the rest of our administration will stay put if we don't find a conference that makes sense geographically and financially. He could prove me wrong and make a terrible decision, but I think we are calculating our moves, preparing for what may occur and doing things the right way.

Green26
August 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Somehow in this thread about App making a decision to test the FBS waters, UNH got thrown out with the trash again...I guess I am not too surprised by the moronic ramblings of a glorified community college fan, after all Georgia State is just learning to crawl in FCS.

App should do what is best for them and they believe a move up would be so good for them. The sky is not falling (although it seems a lot of ppl on here think it is) on the world of FCS. We will survive and continue to play for a true national championship in a competitive environment that encourages our athletes to also be students. Some schools may end up moving up from D2 in the future or some financially struggling schools may move down from FBS instead of closing up their doors to the game all together. Time will tell how things shake out, the situation in college football is certainly fluid and will change many times in the decade ahead. Hell 10 years ago there was no CAA football as we now know it.

So for those crying for the doomsday of FCS...just wait.

Oh, and the FCS playoffs are remarkable...its funny how now that App wants to make a move up that the playoffs are so unimpotant and "JV" save it you chumps.

Good post. I totally agree.

I think it's fine for some schools to be prepared for other opportunities too. If ASU does in fact exercise restraint and wait for the good opportunity, that will be good. But if they get pressured into moving up due to the expectation they have now created or panic, they will probably drop into oblivion. While I don't believe Montana is looking to move up, I think they do want to improve facilities and be able to react if the landscape changes dramatically and a terrific opportunity presented itself. I would rather compete in FCS for the reasons you stated, and would only support moving up if FCS had declined considerably and was not longer a good option (like if the playoffs went away). However, I could see many at UM thinking a move to a surviving Mountain West would be much more attractive than a move to a struggling and probably failing WAC.

UNH has a very nice program. You need to get a new stadium in order to improve atmosphere and attendance.

T-Dog
August 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
If ASU leaves, it would have to pay the SoCon $300,000 if it gives a two-year notice, or $600,000 if it’s a one-year notice.

Those fees were 150K and 300K (respectively) before the summer meetings. Of course the SoCon is trying to squeak every penny they can out of us before the end. The Palmetto Alliance at work again putting the screws to ASU.

GSU EAGLES
August 24th, 2011, 08:50 PM
What conference would App fans be more likely to support?

1) Sun Belt

2) New FBS conference of ODU, JMU, Delaware, Ga State, Ga Southern, Charlotte and others

Purple Knight
August 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Good for ASU. The sooner, the better. They have been unhappy long enough. Also, we grow weary of the griping. Take the other mal-content with you.

Skjellyfetti
August 24th, 2011, 09:28 PM
What conference would App fans be more likely to support?

1) Sun Belt

2) New FBS conference of ODU, JMU, Delaware, Ga State, Ga Southern, Charlotte and others

I'd prefer option 2.

Saint3333
August 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM
CUSA, New FBS conference, CAA, Sun Belt, SoCon - in that order.

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Jesus Christ....there are 4 other North Carolina schools playing football in the ACC and another (ECU) playing in C-USA....no one cares if you go FBS outside of your "Deliverance-like" following in Boone, NC. Does it really matter if you're playing at the margins of FBS or at a championship level at FCS? No.

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Jesus Christ....there are 4 other North Carolina schools playing football in the ACC and another (ECU) playing in C-USA....no one cares if you go FBS outside of your "Deliverance-like" following in Boone, NC. Does it really matter if you're playing at the margins of FBS or at a championship level at FCS? No.

Obviously no one cares, you care so little that you decided to post about it. Does Holy Cross still have a football team? Send them on down if you do, our scout team could use a workout.

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Good for ASU. The sooner, the better. They have been unhappy long enough. Also, we grow weary of the griping. Take the other mal-content with you.

You got that **** right.

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Obviously no one cares, you care so little that you decided to post about it. Does Holy Cross still have a football team? Send them on down if you do, our scout team could use a workout.

Yes we still have a football team...albeit a pale imitation of when we had football scholarships (and would have kicked App's *** back in the day).....I feel your pain though, I know the frustration of what it's like to root for a team that isn't all that it could be....that being said, you're pissing into the wind if you think a school like Appalachian State will be invited into the powers that be club.

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Yes we still have a football team...albeit a pale imitation of when we had football scholarships (and would have kicked App's *** back in the day).....I feel your pain though, I know the frustration of what it's like to root for a team that isn't all that it could be....that being said, you're pissing into the wind if you think a school like Appalachian State will be invited into the powers that be club.

I actually agree with you. ASU has the potential to improve our program, but we do not have the money or big market appeal to be in the 'powers that be' club. It is all about managing expectations. If our fans expect Boise State in 5 years then it's going to be a harsh reality. One step at a time, I think we will eventually end up as a very respectable mid-major FBS program that contends annually for conference titles and brings quality opponents to Boone. Expecting it to happen overnight is what can cause problems.

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM
The LDS Church is by far one of the most diverse of any Church in the world. How dare you excuse us of being racist when we have more blacks in our Church than the Southern Baptists and Methodists have in theirs!

But you're supposed to get a pass for saying the same about The Citadel? When is the last time your cult sponsored university had a black qb?

Blacks in the Southern Confederacy have their own churches by their OWN choice NOT RACIST EXCLUSION like your cult before 1973.

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM
We had a Jewish starting quarterback in 1980...so, yeah...there.

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I hear we are recruiting a black Jewish QB with two gay parents. A diversity trump card of sorts.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 10:42 PM
The LDS Church is by far one of the most diverse of any Church in the world. How dare you excuse us of being racist when we have more blacks in our Church than the Southern Baptists and Methodists have in theirs!

xlolxxlolxxlolx Blacks in the church? In the United States? More than the United Methodist Church that sponsors several HBCU's, and hundreds of predominately black congregations across the nation? The UMC was educating blacks back when your church still preached they were black because of Satan's curse.

And your church is the leading financial backer of bigotry in the US today. Any active Mormon is a bigot, plain and simple. Any Mormon who is not has left the cult of a made up church.

Take off your pretend spectacles and enter the real world.

Mom's basement? My nearest family lives 11 hours away, buddy! I think you are jealous of the Sun Belt Conference. You sure do pay them quite a bit of attention, even if it is all negative. The fact that you can't stop talking about them is a testament of just how known they are.

Could give a crap about them. I lived in an area with several teams. This thread is about App State potentially moving to them. Several posters claimed how superior the sunbelch is. I had to *****-slap them back to reality.

What is that? your mom is calling for you to take out the garbage. Better hurry, and don't get your magic undies in a bunch.

GlassOnion
August 24th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I hear we are recruiting a black Jewish QB with two gay parents. A diversity trump card of sorts.

Citdog Jr?

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 10:44 PM

And he's not thinking of going to The Citadel? Surprising.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 10:49 PM

And he's not thinking of going to The Citadel? Surprising.

Especially since one of the gay dads was a punter at The Citadel.

dgtw
August 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
But you're supposed to get a pass for saying the same about The Citadel? When is the last time your cult sponsored university had a black qb?

Blacks in the Southern Confederacy have their own churches by their OWN choice NOT RACIST EXCLUSION like your cult before 1973.

Since TennBoy has blocked citdog, I thought I'd quote citdog here so TennBoy can see what he has to say.

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Does having one of our African-American alumni (Clarence Thomas '72) on the US Supreme Court get us out of this argument/discussion?

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I ignore religious bigots like you. I'd like to see someone persecute you for your religion. In the meantime, enjoy the Big Cry.

Let me know when your cult is shoved in cattle cars and upon arrival pointed to the left or right. Left you're worked and starved to death and right marched to the gas chambers. Until then SHUT YOUR CULTIST COCKHOLSTER.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I ignore religious bigots like you. I'd like to see someone persecute you for your religion. In the meantime, enjoy the Big Cry.

you and your cult are the religious bigots - using your shakedown money to deny/restrict rights of actual Americans. The Mormon Church is the one doing the perssecuting, but then cries when it gets called out for it's hatred.

You believe a work of fiction is real. Pathetic. And then use that fiction to oppress others.

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Does having one of our African-American alumni (Clarence Thomas '72) on the US Supreme Court get us out of this argument/discussion?

no you can pile on the cultist with the rest of us.

dbackjon
August 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I would like for everyone to really pay attention to the comments haters of the LDS Church has shown me. I have been cussed at. I have been accused of bigotry, and yet I have no ill-will or hatred toward anyone regardless of their beliefs. Where does this intolerance and hatred toward someone really come from? DBackJon, you deserved your neg rep, but I didn't cuss you like you did me.

You support bigotry financially and with your membership in the Mormon church. It is like displaying a KKK avatar, and being upset that people give you crap.

Your avatar is offensive to me, and every American that values equality for all Americans. It is a symbol of intolerance and hate.

And feel free to neg rep me all you want.

dgtw
August 24th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I'll block anyone that purposely quotes religious bigots like Citidog just to promote religious bigotry. Dgtw, you are blocked.

Now that you can't read my posts, you can't send me profane negative reps anymore. Whatever will you do?

Back on topic, App St shouldn't see the Sun Belt as the end of the world. Marshall spent time in the MAC before getting bumped up to C-USA.

dgtw
August 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I would like for everyone to really pay attention to the comments haters of the LDS Church has shown me. I have been cussed at. I have been accused of bigotry, and yet I have no ill-will or hatred toward anyone regardless of their beliefs. Where does this intolerance and hatred toward someone really come from? DBackJon, you deserved your neg rep, but I didn't cuss you like you did me.

I have never cursed you or anyone else on here, but you cursed at me because I asked how you'd feel about a mascot that played up Mormon stereotypes when you said Native Americans were being too sensitive about the use of their image.

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 11:08 PM
So who's voting for Willard Romney...or Huntsman????

Crosis
August 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Many of you will be in my prayers tonight. You're good people, but Hell awaits you if you don't change your ways. To the fine users here, I recommend you sit down in a quiet place, find uninterrupted time, open a couple of Christian books, read Biblical texts, and contemplate if you're truly on the path to salvation. This is especially true for members of the Church of Latter Day Saints. There is no place in Heaven for followers of a heretic that deemed the words of God himself to be false.

Good luck.

asumike83
August 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Now that you can't read my posts, you can't send me profane negative reps anymore. Whatever will you do?

Back on topic, App St shouldn't see the Sun Belt as the end of the world. Marshall spent time in the MAC before getting bumped up to C-USA.

Interesting thought, I tend to forget about Marshall's path to Conference USA. Hell, they were better when they were in the MAC!

citdog
August 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Many of you will be in my prayers tonight. You're good people, but Hell awaits you if you don't change your ways. To the fine users here, I recommend you sit down in a quiet place, find uninterrupted time, open a couple of Christian books, read Biblical texts, and contemplate if you're truly on the path to salvation. This is especially true for members of the Church of Latter Day Saints. There is no place in Heaven for followers of a heretic that deemed the words of God himself to be false.

Good luck.

Speaking of religious charlatans did you lose your virginity in an outhouse with your own mother like jerry? Jesus of Nazareth was a great Rabbi and a decent carpentry contractor and a good Jew. He was a mensch.

Sader87
August 24th, 2011, 11:38 PM

Good luck.

Are you saying we should leave the Patriot League?? Hallelujeauh....I couldn't agree more!!!! Praise Jesus and whatever/whomever you wackos at Liberty pray to!!!

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Just returning the love you sent me cultist fbs scum. I may be a poor Jew, only Yahweh knows my heart, but my culture is THOUSANDS of years old and REAL and not made up by a charlatan reading non-existent plates out of a top hat. My school is known all over the globe for the GLORIOUS deeds and supreme sacrifice made by our men. Don't take my word for it.....ask the mexicans, yankee sewer trash, spanish, germans, wops, japs, north koreans, chinese, viets, iraqi's, taliban, and libya. You really should just have a coke and a smile and perhaps some pre marital sex.

Ummm....NOT POSSIBLE. I checked.

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 12:03 AM
That joke was pretty funny when my Grandfather was a Cadet you unoriginal bastard.

Some jokes just don't go out of style.

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM

No one is excusing you.....but if you want to be accused, that can be arranged.

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I'll block anyone that purposely quotes religious bigots like Citidog just to promote religious bigotry. Dgtw, you are blocked.

I quoted you....so am I now blocked?

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM

The only reason you get cussed at is because you wake me up on the weekends spouting your **** when I am hungover and in the need of sleep...not religion.

GunsAndGuitars
August 25th, 2011, 07:17 AM
You're good people, but Hell awaits you if you don't change your ways

Good luck.

And now back to the show...Same goes to football teams playing at The Rock this year too. Better make some serious adjustments for DP and Cadet out of the backfield.

Personally, I'd like for us to hold out until a position in C-USA comes up or stay put, but that's just me. I like FCS football. I always have liked FCS football, I always will like FCS football.

PaladinFan
August 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Interesting thought, I tend to forget about Marshall's path to Conference USA. Hell, they were better when they were in the MAC!

Nothing like moving up to the FBS to revel in mediocrity.

eagle07
August 25th, 2011, 07:53 AM
http://comicstheblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/movin-on-up.jpg

...... to an average season in the FBS

bandit
August 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Good luck.

xlolx Oh man, the self-righteousness and sanctimoniousness is just hilarious. Thanks for the recommendation, but I have no need to peruse your mythological epics. I prefer Harry Potter.

Pard4Life
August 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Enjoy Tuesday night football on ESPN.

If you're going to the Sun Belt, you're better off in the SoCon.

elon77
August 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Just a couple of questions. If you add 20 more scholly's to the football program you also have to add 20 more scholly's for women's sports. In this economy that is some serious cash. Also, the AD at ODU was talking about ASU's move to FBS on the radio yesterday and he had a couple of interesting points. One, doesn't there have to be some conference that wants ASU or any school before they can move up, and who might that be. Travel in and out of Boone for ALL sports could be expensive and a problem for alot of conferences unless it would be the ACC or SEC, which ain't happening. Also don't most conference look for expansion in area's that offer large population's and large media outlets? I'm not sure Boone offers either and they couldn't make it as an Independent, only ND can do that. I don't mean anything I'm just asking some questions, trying to stay on topic too.

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Just a couple of questions. If you add 20 more scholly's to the football program you also have to add 20 more scholly's for women's sports.

I really hope they add them to the pole vaulting team. Cal did, and it worked out nicely.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50507_27557431641_3756813_n.jpg

813Jag
August 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I really hope they add them to the pole vaulting team. Cal did, and it worked out nicely.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50507_27557431641_3756813_n.jpg
does andy know you have his pic? xlolx

AppAlum2003
August 25th, 2011, 10:24 AM
So far I'm hearing sour grapes from opposing teams' fans, coaches, writers and AD's... awesome.

Sounds like everyone at work bashing somebody after receiving a promotion.

Saint3333
August 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Two nationally televised games a year, only one of which is a home game. Sounds like a Tuesday off work to me. It would suck to trade in that PBS coverage though. I hear the Sun Belt schools are banging down the SoCon door.

Saint3333
August 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Just a couple of questions. If you add 20 more scholly's to the football program you also have to add 20 more scholly's for women's sports. In this economy that is some serious cash. Also, the AD at ODU was talking about ASU's move to FBS on the radio yesterday and he had a couple of interesting points. One, doesn't there have to be some conference that wants ASU or any school before they can move up, and who might that be. Travel in and out of Boone for ALL sports could be expensive and a problem for alot of conferences unless it would be the ACC or SEC, which ain't happening. Also don't most conference look for expansion in area's that offer large population's and large media outlets? I'm not sure Boone offers either and they couldn't make it as an Independent, only ND can do that. I don't mean anything I'm just asking some questions, trying to stay on topic too.

ODU's AD may be trying to downplay ASU's impact on them.

Travel: McNeese, NAU, Montana next year - all flew into either the tri-cites or Hickory airport and took an hour bus ride to Boone. There are plenty of FBS programs that have this same setup.

Market: ASU has 70,000 alumni that leave in the Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh triangle with an average age of 32. That number will continue to grow so the potential is there.

Apphole
August 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Along with UNC, we are THE NCAA team in the Charlotte area. The Charlotte observer sports writers are all about the ACC, but as far as bumper stickers go in NC's largest city(aka people that support a given school) App is probably the most supported. It is a short 2 hour drive and the place is crawling with alumni, parents of students or grads, and fans that have direct affiliation. We also have a major stake in the Winston, Greensboro and triad in descending order. Look no further than our home attendance to see our support. It's unmatched at this level and is smack dab in the middle of the division to which we are going.

NHwildEcat
August 25th, 2011, 11:56 AM
So far I'm hearing sour grapes from opposing teams' fans, coaches, writers and AD's... awesome.

Sounds like everyone at work bashing somebody after receiving a promotion.

I hear what your saying, and I agree for the most part. However, I think there are some people like me, who think it can be great for App to move up. I think a schools should do what is best for that school...after all you should be looking out for number 1. My issue that has come up over the past couple days now is how last week App fans seemed to feel playoffs and FCS were the best, but now that the school wants to move up, FCS is garbage and the playoffs aren't important. I just don't understaind the 180 a lot of people seem to be pulling this week...that is my only beef.

I know App will kick some serious *** in some of those mid-major type of conferences. I just hope your other athletics programs can keep up!

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Along with UNC, we are THE NCAA team in the Charlotte area. The Charlotte observer sports writers are all about the ACC, but as far as bumper stickers go in NC's largest city(aka people that support a given school) App is probably the most supported. It is a short 2 hour drive and the place is crawling with alumni, parents of students or grads, and fans that have direct affiliation. We also have a major stake in the Winston, Greensboro and triad in descending order. Look no further than our home attendance to see our support. It's unmatched at this level and is smack dab in the middle of the division to which we are going.

You just live in your own make-believe world. App isn't top 7 in Charlotte or the surrounding counties in support. I'm not claiming UNC Charlotte is top 5, but you have Chapel Hill, State, Clemson, Duke, So. Car., ECU, Wake Forest and yes the 49ers, all ahead of App. App has the same type of support in the Charlotte market that the 49ers enjoy, Alumni only.

Smitty
August 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I didn't realize people used bumper stickers as a unit of measurement. I should probably start putting bumper stickers on my cars now.

asumike83
August 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
You just live in your own make-believe world. App isn't top 7 in Charlotte or the surrounding counties in support. I'm not claiming UNC Charlotte is top 5, but you have Chapel Hill, State, Clemson, Duke, So. Car., ECU, Wake Forest and yes the 49ers, all ahead of App. App has the same type of support in the Charlotte market that the 49ers enjoy, Alumni only.

There is no way to quantify any of this so it's all speculation really, but we are definitely behind UNC, Duke and NC State. After that, ASU/ECU seem to be relatively on par. UNC Charlotte obviously has a lot of alumni in the area, but they just don't seem to show as much outward support for their school as the ASU/ECU crowd. That could all change when football starts but I've been in Charlotte for 5 years and that's my impression. I could honestly count on one hand the number of Wake Forest fans I've met in this city. USC/Clemson has a strong contingent as well, but as far as the NC schools go, App is right behind the big 3 in my opinion.

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
There is no way to quantify any of this so it's all speculation really, but we are definitely behind UNC, Duke and NC State. After that, ASU/ECU seem to be relatively on par. UNC Charlotte obviously has a lot of alumni in the area, but they just don't seem to show as much outward support for their school as the ASU/ECU crowd. That could all change when football starts but I've been in Charlotte for 5 years and that's my impression. I could honestly count on one hand the number of Wake Forest fans I've met in this city. USC/Clemson has a strong contingent as well, but as far as the NC schools go, App is right behind the big 3 in my opinion.

Without taking this too far off topic, claiming App is the 4th best supported NC team in the Charlotte region is almost as subjective as Apphole's bumper sticker claim. There are 30,000 App alumni in the Charlotte region per your own alumni association numbers. Even if half those support App Football that's still a drop in the bucket of a 2 million person market with alumni from multiple universities.

Appaholic
August 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Ummm....NOT POSSIBLE. I checked.

You obviously haven't been out to a bar drinking with Citdog....bring your cash and/or card....those Shirley Temples start adding up

asumike83
August 25th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Without taking this too far off topic, claiming App is the 4th best supported NC team in the Charlotte region is almost as subjective as Apphole's bumper sticker claim. There are 30,000 App alumni in the Charlotte region per your own alumni association numbers. Even if half those support App Football that's still a drop in the bucket of a 2 million person market with alumni from multiple universities.

True, but obviously every one of the 2 million people aren't avid college sports fans. Of the ones that are, a TON are non-alumni Duke/UNC/State fans. So of the remaining market share, 30K alumni is a pretty decent amount. Duke/UNC/NC State obviously take the lion's share. After that, I feel like ASU/ECU are the 4th-5th most well supported schools in the area.

I'm really not trying to make this into a pissing contest. My point is that we have a healthy contingent in North Carolina's biggest city and I feel we can sufficiently support an FBS level team if/when the time comes.

MplsBison
August 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
This statement is incorrect. In fact, it is ridiculous.

FBS is not the right move any school that can meet the requirements. It depends on the school. It depends on the FBS conference. It depends on the financial situation of the school. Remaining in FCS is the right choice for many school that can meet the requirements of FCS.

The FCS playoffs are not a joke to anyone. They are one of the very best things in all of college football. As for your comment about the media, I was standing next to former Montana coach Bobby Hauck when he was introduced to Chris Berman at the Ivy football dinner in NYC in early 2009, just following UM's loss to Richmond. Berman immediately was warm to Hauck and congratulated him on a great season and unfortunate loss in the championship game. Just an antecdote, but nevertheless a good indication of the media feels about the FCS playoffs.

FCS teams play with FBS teams in the same division in all sports, except football. D-II plays only with other D-II schools, not with FCS.

FCS is in good shape these days. It is an affordable way for schools to have good athletics and good football. Some believe it will be an alternative for lower level FBS teams that can't keep up in FBS and are suffering financially.

FCS is the least affordable sport in the NCAA. You get the full DII football experience while paying DI costs, what a deal!

There are few schools in FCS who offset their football budgets with the revenue they take in from home football games + guarantee games from FBS teams. There a even fewer schools that can realistically raise their football budgets to the level needed to compete in a FBS conference.

Those that can - should go. No question about that.

The members of national media may have personal opinions about FCS football that are positive - but what's actually shown on TV is an entirely different thing. The BCS controls national media coverage of college football and they are not about to let any playoff gain a foothold in the ratings - regardless of how great you think it is.

FCS football is a financial death trap - or bear trap if you like - App is wise to get out while the getting is good.

MplsBison
August 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Any team that would turn down ESPN prime time coverage of a regular season, conference football game deserves to be sent directly to DIII (or if you're in the Patriot League, then stay where you are)

Boise St built its brand on that TV model - worked pretty well if you ask me.

MplsBison
August 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Title IX does not require a one-to-one ratio of men's and women's scholarships be maintained. There is no such requirement or wording in the law.

Read it sometime.

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
True, but obviously every one of the 2 million people aren't avid college sports fans. Of the ones that are, a TON are non-alumni Duke/UNC/State fans. So of the remaining market share, 30K alumni is a pretty decent amount. Duke/UNC/NC State obviously take the lion's share. After that, I feel like ASU/ECU are the 4th-5th most well supported schools in the area.

I'm really not trying to make this into a pissing contest. My point is that we have a healthy contingent in North Carolina's biggest city and I feel we can sufficiently support an FBS level team if/when the time comes.

I guess it all comes down to whether you believe App has a market of waiting "Wal-Mart" fans in the Charlotte market. I think App will do fine in FBS at a "Wake Forest" level of support, 30,000-40,000 seats. Yet App's market penetration into Charlotte will still be far behind any of the current teams in this market. These large schools have legions of Wal-Mart fans to draw on to fill their 60,000 seat stadiums. App and Charlotte don't and without BCS level conference membership we never will.

asumike83
August 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I guess it all comes down to whether you believe App has a market of waiting "Walmart" fans in the Charlotte market. I think App will do fine in FBS at a "Wake Forest" level of support, 30,000-40,000 seats. Yet App's market penatration into Charlotte will still be far behind any of the current teams in this market. These large schools have legions of Walmart fans to draw on to fill their 60,000 seat stadiums. App and Charlotte don't and without BCS level conference membership we never will.

Absolutely right. I have no misconceptions that a move to FBS is going to put ASU support even close to the level of UNC/NC State football. In my opinion, if the move works out perfectly then we'll see stadium expansion over the next 5-10 years, consistently sell out a 35K-40K seat stadium, compete for conference titles and pick up a few of the 'Wal-Mart fans' along the way.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2011, 02:17 PM
FCS is the least affordable sport in the NCAA. You get the full DII football experience while paying DI costs, what a deal!

There are few schools in FCS who offset their football budgets with the revenue they take in from home football games + guarantee games from FBS teams. There a even fewer schools that can realistically raise their football budgets to the level needed to compete in a FBS conference.

Those that can - should go. No question about that.

The members of national media may have personal opinions about FCS football that are positive - but what's actually shown on TV is an entirely different thing. The BCS controls national media coverage of college football and they are not about to let any playoff gain a foothold in the ratings - regardless of how great you think it is.

FCS football is a financial death trap - or bear trap if you like - App is wise to get out while the getting is good.

Show some of those #'s that you are basing this on please?

Are you saying that Sun Belt, WAC, & so forth are better off budget wise than the top FCS teams?

You always have opinions but they are very rarely based on any fact or reality at all so I'd like to see what you got here.

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Show some of those #'s that you are basing this on please?

Are you saying that Sun Belt, WAC, & so forth are better off budget wise than the top FCS teams?

You always have opinions but they are very rarely based on any fact or reality at all so I'd like to see what you got here.

would love to see that as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM

I guarantee you that he does not have it. When you see a guy making a statement like "The FCS is dying" then you know you are dealing with a simpleton that doesn't look at what is actually going on but you are dealing with a woman disguised as a man that is running on pure emotion.

Now if he can show me something that backs up what he states I will apologize but I am not privvy to the all knowing information that is only credible when it's posted on that Bison site he sees as some sort of Oracle.

I'm fairly sure he has nothing, other than his emotion.

Grizzaholic
August 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
You obviously haven't been out to a bar drinking with Citdog....bring your cash and/or card....those Shirley Temples start adding up

That will be quite enough out of you. Citdog expects his bags to be packed for his trip to the MECCA in two weeks...better get on it.

Squealofthepig
August 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM

I tried to find some information on this (my google fu is weak today), but the Sunbelt doesn't appear to have the best financials. A telling quote comes from Sunbelt Commissioner Wright Waters:

We've got schools next year that are going to have $120 million budgets, $130 million budgets. And we have schools in the same division whose budgets are $20 million. Can they still compete against each other or are we just buying wins?

Source: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/qa_sun_belt_commissioner_wrigh.html

Edit: I also found one dated source (2009) that gives App's budget at about $10m - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/285979-will-athletic-budgets-be-used-to-classify-schools-as-di-after-2010 Obviously a step up would allow App to greatly grow that budget, and I'm just offering that as a data point for comparison