Delta St @ NW State
Henderson St @ #18 Central Arkansas

Saturday Sept 3rd

Texas College @ Lamar
SE Louisiana @ Tulane
#20 McNeese St @ Kansas

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I knew Evangel liked to play up, but I didnt' realize that a AA Louisiana HS team could play a college team ;) Or does that mean that Nicholls is dropping down to a financial level commensurate with their resources???? ;)

TheRevSFA
August 20th, 2011, 05:45 PM
WIU over Sam in a heartbreaker at Bowers.

Catatonic
August 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Thursday Sept 1st

Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State
Evangel @ Nicholls St
McMurry St @ #17 Stephen F Austin
Delta St @ NW State

Saturday Sept 3rd

Texas College @ Lamar
SE Louisiana @ Tulane
#20 McNeese St @ Kansas

Not sure if you were asking for predictions but here are mine anyway.

crossfire07
August 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I knew Evangel liked to play up, but I didnt' realize that a AA Louisiana HS team could play a college team ;) Or does that mean that Nicholls is dropping down to a financial level commensurate with their resources???? ;)

That is what I thought too at first but I know better. It's a hilarious thought but That Evangel would get murdered.

crossfire07
August 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Not sure if you were asking for predictions but here are mine anyway.

I like your picks except for my homer pick. If we can slow down their running game, I like our chances. It would be a hard blow for the Southland as a whole if Delta pulls off that upset.If Southeastern is in the game late, they might pull it off.

DG Cowboy
August 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
FYI. McMurry is not a "State". It is a Methodist college in Abilene, coached by Hal Mumme. He has worked his way down to DIII again.

blackfordpu
August 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Best game on the schedule the first week is the WIU at SHSU game. Looking for the Kats to get a win and gain some momentum.

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I like your picks except for my homer pick. If we can slow down their running game, I like our chances. It would be a hard blow for the Southland as a whole if Delta pulls off that upset.If Southeastern is in the game late, they might pull it off.

Delta State was the runner-up in Division II last year. No disrespect to the Demons, but that's going to be tough game for them, as it would be for anybody in the SLC...Delta's no slouch!

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM

How much of an upset would it be if Delta State beats Northwestern State?

Delta State was the D2 national runner-up last year and while the Demons are a top half of the SLC team, the Statesmen will have one game prior to the NWST contest and I still don't think the top tier of D2 is much off from mid-level FCS.

FYI. McMurry is not a "State". It is a Methodist college in Abilene, coached by Hal Mumme. He has worked his way down to DIII again.

McMurry is on the 'move up' to Division II and the Heartland Conference... not sure why Mumme and Co. are not going to the LSC, unless they and/or Abilene Christian wanted to keep separate.

Best game on the schedule the first week is the WIU at SHSU game. Looking for the Kats to get a win and gain some momentum.

Only FCS vs FCS - of course, it's the best game! Of course, would love to see an FBS upset in SLU v Tulane, but not likely... SLU is down and for the 10th straight season, Tulane has the best team they've had in ages... LOL

Ll0yd
August 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM
McMurry is on the 'move up' to Division II and the Heartland Conference... not sure why Mumme and Co. are not going to the LSC, unless they and/or Abilene Christian wanted to keep separate.

That your are correct. MCM is moving to D2 Heartland Conference. Since the NCAA took their 'Indians' mascot away 5 or 6 years ago, they now have a new mascot and logo the 'War Hawks'. MCM is not very good though, I think they are trying to build up the athletics program to also spark an interest and build the school up also. Even when they are having a decent season, Hardin Simmons across town makes pretty good sport of them, so I hardly doubt they want to play ACU. Last year they were talking about moving up to D1 Southland, but havent heard much since, so as of right now its not looking good. I hope they do, for a school with $300+ million I hope they are just not cheaping out, since not only do they have money but they also have friends in high places. I wish they would move on to greener pastures and bring a little WTX to Southland, but who knows...

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM
That your are correct. MCM is moving to D2 Heartland Conference. Since the NCAA took their 'Indians' mascot away 5 or 6 years ago, they now have a new mascot and logo the 'War Hawks'. MCM is not very good though, I think they are trying to build up the athletics program to also spark an interest and build the school up also. Even when they are having a decent season, Hardin Simmons across town makes pretty good sport of them, so I hardly doubt they want to play ACU. Last year they were talking about moving up to D1 Southland, but havent heard much since, so as of right now its not looking good. I hope they do, for a school with $300+ million I hope they are just not cheaping out, since not only do they have money but they also have friends in high places. I wish they would move on to greener pastures and bring a little WTX to Southland, but who knows...

McNeese and McMurry in the same McConference? Oy vey! What's McMurry's colors? ;)

Ll0yd
August 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM
McNeese and McMurry in the same McConference? Oy vey! What's McMurry's colors? ;)

Oh no, I meant ACU going Southland not McMurry. Maroon and white. LOL

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Whew! That was close. I can imagine the McJokes they'd tell if we were in the same conference....

I hope Abilene Christian does move to the SLC...and quickly.....my roommate at McNeese has a son who's a freshman at ACU this year. It would be way cool for him to be able to play at Cowboy Stadium, where his Dad played....

Ll0yd
August 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Whew! That was close. I can imagine the McJokes they'd tell if we were in the same conference....

I hope Abilene Christian does move to the SLC...and quickly.....my roommate at McNeese has a son who's a freshman at ACU this year. It would be way cool for him to be able to play at Cowboy Stadium, where his Dad played....

It would be a pretty good McRivalry though xsmileyclapx

crossfire07
August 21st, 2011, 01:40 AM

Delta State was the D2 national runner-up last year and while the Demons are a top half of the SLC team, the Statesmen will have one game prior to the NWST contest and I still don't think the top tier of D2 is much off from mid-level FCS.

I'm sure Delta would look at it the same way when a FCS knocks off an upper FCS or FBS. I hope for Northwesterns sake they don't lose. That would be one hell of a way to roll into LSU mentally. I think LSU is going to be really REALLY mad after they lose to the Ducks and somebody is going to have to be on the receiving end of their madness.

TheRevSFA
August 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM
McNeese knocking off Kansas would be great. Get it done

Catatonic
August 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM

I will be delighted if either Southeastern or McNeese pulls off a win over one of the FBS big boys! I will cheer for both FCS teams. About my D2 vs FCS picks:

In my opinion, top ranked D2 teams are on par with lower and mid-level FCS teams, although they would have a hard time vs better FCS teams. Likewise, average and lower D2 teams would struggle vs average and lower tier FCS teams.

We will see, but honestly I would consider it an upset for NW State to beat Delta State, an average and unranked FCS team vs a Top 10 D2 school. This is a game Delta should win.

Now if McMurry, fresh out of D3 and definitely one of the lowliest D2 teams around, beats a ranked SFA team, well, that would be a blow to the prestige of the Southland and the FCS. Henderson beating a strong UCA team would be upsetting but not as earth shattering as a loss by SFA to McMurry.

Jest my dos centavos worth.

Ll0yd
August 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Now if McMurry, fresh out of D3 and definitely one of the lowliest D2 teams around, beats a ranked SFA team, well, that would be a blow to the prestige of the Southland and the FCS. Henderson beating a strong UCA team would be upsetting but not as earth shattering as a loss by SFA to McMurry.

Jest my dos centavos worth.

You ain't lying about that. McMurry with the win would be an upset at the least. The odds are against MCM to win, but they will show up to play, even if they get spanked they are going to leave it all out on the field. I wonder why MCM is wanting to play southland teams honestly, I mean they are just moving from d3 to tiny d2. I'm actually a little disappointed with ACU's 2011 schedule, I'm surprised they are not wanting to test the FCS waters to see how it feels. xconfusedx

jhanel
August 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM
Will see about NSU and Delta State come Sept. 1st. FORK'EM!!!

Catatonic
August 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM
You ain't lying about that. McMurry with the win would be an upset at the least. The odds are against MCM to win, but they will show up to play, even if they get spanked they are going to leave it all out on the field. I wonder why MCM is wanting to play southland teams honestly, I mean they are just moving from d3 to tiny d2. I'm actually a little disappointed with ACU's 2011 schedule, I'm surprised they are not wanting to test the FCS waters to see how it feels. xconfusedx

Me too.....I think ACU did not schedule any FCS games because FCS games do not count in the Strength of Schedule formula used to determine play off berths.....so why risk injuries when a win gets no bonus points....better to play a strong D2 schedule that boosts D2 play off chances. Just guessing.

ACU does play a challenging D2 schedule. North Alabama will start at least 3 guys on their defense that were former starters for BCS teams (Arizona State, Georgia and Florida). Should be quite a test for Mitchell Gale.

Catatonic
August 21st, 2011, 03:40 PM

You would not be much of a fan if you felt differently! Good luck.

Catatonic
August 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM

Only FCS vs FCS - of course, it's the best game! Of course, would love to see an FBS upset in SLU v Tulane, but not likely... SLU is down and for the 10th straight season, Tulane has the best team they've had in ages... LOL

I don't believe McMurry plans to offer the maximum number of FB scholarships permitted by the NCAA for D2 schools. Many of the schools in the Heartland do not offer the max...now that the Oklahoma schools have dropped out of the LSC, all LSC schools have the maximum number of scholarship players allowed. The other point may be true as well. I do not know whether ACU would have opposed McMurry....but it was not an issue since McMurry wanted to go to a less competitive D2 conference, at least as first step up from non scholarship D3 ball.

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM

Delta State is equal if not superior to SWAC squads... will feel like a decent D1 game against FCS more so than a sister of the poor D2 game.

katstrapper
August 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM
Kats moved the ball on WIU last year. Just couldnt score and the secondary was terrible. WIU has lost a lot on both sides of the ball, especially on offense, including their QB. Should still be a good game.

I think Kats come out swinging in first game. Kats by a FG.xthumbsupx

msupokes1
August 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
McNeese plays McMurray next year.

DG Cowboy
August 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
SFA may cream McMurry, but I can promise you that Mumme will bring showtime as best he can with the players he has.

Catatonic
August 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
SFA may cream McMurry, but I can promise you that Mumme will bring showtime as best he can with the players he has.

Fans will be entertained by Mumme's offense, that's for sure!

GeauxLions94
August 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM

SFA might be up 60 (and maybe run 3-4 INTs back for TDs), but you can bet Mumme will still be throwing the ball.

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
SFA might be up 60 (and maybe run 3-4 INTs back for TDs), but you can bet Mumme will still be throwing the ball.

And his QB will be hamburger by the 4th quarter but he will still be in there.

msupokes1
August 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Thursday Sept 1st[/B]

Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State-would love to pick Sam Houston here but just can't
Evangel @ Nicholls St
McMurry St @ #17 Stephen F Austin
Delta St @ NW State- head says Delta St but heart says NW.

Saturday Sept 3rd

Texas College @ Lamar
SE Louisiana @ Tulane-would love to pick SE but just can't
#20 McNeese St @ Kansas-Homer pick

GeauxLions94
August 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Picked on TT's thread ... I'll play two.

I'm picking early, so here goes ...

RECORD IN 2011: Who Cares
RECORD IN 2010: Who cares, but it probably wasn't good

Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State - Western Illinois finished second last season in the rugged Missouri Valley, but has lost a lot from a team that went to the playoffs last season and is picked to finish seventh in 2011. Sam Houston State has a solid running game in Tim Flanders and year under head coach Willie Fritz under its belt. Look for the Kats to contend for the Southland title and open the season with an impressive win. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Evangel @ Nicholls State - No, Louisiana high school football fans, Nicholls is not facing Evangel of Shreveport ... but they might get a better contest if they were playing the high-octane Eagles. The Colonels look for good things under second-year coach Charlie Stubbs and with LaQuintin Caston and Jesse Turner running the Colonel offense, Nicholls gets off to a good start. NICHOLLS STATE

McMurry @ Stephen F. Austin - To the folks attending this game ... bring a Snickers' bar because you're going to be there for a while. SFA fans will go home happy in a game that features the spread offense versus Hal Mumme's (the former Valdosta State, Kentucky, Southeastern Louisiana, New Mexico State coach) Air Raid. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Delta State @ Northwestern State - Northwestern State showed great improvements in its second year under BDP and opens with a brutal stretch that includes games against DeltaDeltaDelta (can I helpya, helpya, helpya ... if you were in a Fraternity you know what I mean), LSU and SMU. It looks like a win on paper as it's DI vs. DII, but Delta State is coming off a National Runner-up finish and will contend again in the Gulf South Conference. This game scares me, but will stick with the home team in a close one. NORTHWESTERN STATE

Henderson State @ Central Arkansas - An old rivalry on a new rug in Conway. Will the first song played over the loudspeakers be Jimy Hendrix's "Purple Haze" (or the Barney song???). UCA breaks out its new purple and gray surface and will beat up on its old Gulf South Conference rival. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Southeastern Louisiana @ Tulane - The last three games in this series have been decided by 7, 8 and 6 points. Southeastern officially puts the frustration of the 2010 behind it was it opens the season for the second year against the in-state foe that is "Big Boys" in name only. A lot of new faces on both sides of the ball for the Lions, who return one of the best WR trios in the country in Simmie Yarborough, Brandon Collins and Kory Theodore. Getting them the ball will rest upon the arm of returning veteran Brian Young or Ole Miss transfer Nathan Stanley. Look for another close one again in the refurbished Superdome. My heart says SLU, but my mind goes with the Greenies just because it's still FBS vs. FCS. TULANE

Texas College @ Lamar - Lamar comes out in year two looking to make a splash in the Southland Conference. The high-flying Cards should have no problems with TC before a good crowd in Beaumont. LAMAR

McNeese State @ Kansas - The Cowboys are looked by many to win the Southland Conference title (in what years recently have they not been???) and can make a good start by knocking off the Jayhawks in Lawrence. Look for McNeese State to keep this game close before Kansas pulls away late as it looks to improve in year two under Turner Gill. Rock Chalk Chickenhawk! KANSAS

GeauxLions94
August 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM

And his QB will be hamburger by the 4th quarter but he will still be in there.

Who beat Northwestern State to the punch (though Hankins was hamburger in the McNeese game also) .... you only beat us by 38 that first year, of course the Northwestern game was the following week :D

Hood
August 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I knew Evangel liked to play up, but I didnt' realize that a AA Louisiana HS team could play a college team ;) Or does that mean that Nicholls is dropping down to a financial level commensurate with their resources???? ;)Hey now, don't make me get violent :)

That is what I thought too at first but I know better. It's a hilarious thought but That Evangel would get murdered.
Heck the only reason I knew about Evangel without checking was a few years ago they had a QB wind up in an NFL rookie camp.