PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa to Open @ Wisconsin, then @ Iowa in 2012!

nmatsen
August 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110818/SPORTS0207/110818012/Northern-Iowa-football-to-open-2012-season-at-Wisconsin?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

I think this looks really cool on the surface, an opportunity to open up the year at two very high profile opponents and venues, but the fact that we could start the year at two top 15 teams, and only pull in one million ($450 from Wisc, $550 from Iowa) is kind of a joke. We have all but assured ourselves of needing to win the MVC to get in the playoffs (not that we can't do that anyway) but an open to a season like that should garner more money. Period.

BearsCountry
August 18th, 2011, 05:07 PM
So UNI is doing what we are doing this year.

darell1976
August 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I hope UNI can get a Big 10 sweep!!

Jacked_Rabbit
August 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Does UNI really, really need the money or something? I think I remember hearing rumbles of financial troubles in their athletic department, but I can't remember the specifics.

Regardless, best of luck - I hope you win them both too!

MSUBear42
August 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Does UNI really, really need the money or something?

Uh, yeah...

Feel for you UNI.

nmatsen
August 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Does UNI really, really need the money or something? I think I remember hearing rumbles of financial troubles in their athletic department, but I can't remember the specifics.

Regardless, best of luck - I hope you win them both too!

UNI has been told that its football program must stop running on any general fund money. A study has shown that two BCS money games every third year will solve that coupled with one BCS money game every year other than that. Following that model will have us running our program in the black. To my knowledge we will be one of the few FCS programs to do so. (keep in mind I said one of thew few, not only)

Jacked_Rabbit
August 18th, 2011, 08:02 PM
UNI has been told that its football program must stop running on any general fund money. A study has shown that two BCS money games every third year will solve that coupled with one BCS money game every year other than that. Following that model will have us running our program in the black. To my knowledge we will be one of the few FCS programs to do so. (keep in mind I said one of thew few, not only)

Great info - thanks for clarifying. Well, as I mentioned before, I hope your players make the most of a difficult situation and take it to 'em!

frozennorth
August 18th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Some nice payout totals there

Gil Dobie
August 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Good job UNI, be tough, but good payout.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Best of luck to y'all. It will make for a tough run to the playoffs, but if you can knock off either of those teams it will be great for your program and the FCS in general. No one ever remembers FCS vs BCS losses, but everyone remembers FCS vs BCS wins.

Grizo406
August 19th, 2011, 12:21 AM

Regardless, best of luck - I hope you win them both both too!

So do I!xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
August 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Dannen did say the Wisconsin game will net more than that though. We will only get 450k from them, but they are paying the buyout against SUU that year. It will then save them the money from flying out to Utah, and only having to bus up to Madison. I am excited, but also not too optimistic about next year. Not too many of the teams that have to take two money games end up making the playoffs. I am excited about being able to watch a game in Camp Randall!

UNI Pike
August 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Two BCS games every 3 years will not solve the football financial pain at UNI. Last year UNI FB was +/- $700 K in the red, even though we already play Iowa State or Iowa every year. We would need to play 2 BCS type games every year, plus find another $150K - $250K to account for tuition inflation.

The problem is that regents are pushing for the entire athletic program to run without general fund dollars. UNI has a budget of roughly $14M, with about a $4M general fund draw. Iowa can run without taxpayer dollars, why can't you - per the Regents. Iowa State's athletic program only recently went to even or slightly profitable based solely on the re-negotiated B12 FB TV agreement.

wmtribe1693
August 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Probably a good decision if your team wants to move to a FBS conference.

appfan2008
August 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Not a good idea IMO I dont want you guys to be 6-5 or something and be begging for a playoff spot... not good...

clenz
August 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Not a good idea IMO I dont want you guys to be 6-5 or something and be begging for a playoff spot... not good...
UNI has been to the playoffs 15 times since joining D1...out of those times UNI has won the conference 15 times. One time we didn't get the AQ, but got the #3 seed that year.

Losing out of conference doesn't hurt UNI, because we don't get in with at-larges.

UNI likely wasn't going to make the playoffs in 2012 anyway (if we did I would be extremely shocked) considering what we lose after this year.

clenz
August 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
There is also a rumor that the coaches have told the players that there will also be a game with App State....no confirmation anywhere else, just a rumor at this point.

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Not too many of the teams that have to take two money games end up making the playoffs. I am excited about being able to watch a game in Camp Randall!

In 2009 Jax State played (and nearly beat) Florida State and then lost to Georgia Tech. They won the OVC but missed the playoffs due to APR issues. So it can be done. Good luck!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2011, 10:26 PM
In 2009 Jax State played (and nearly beat) Florida State and then lost to Georgia Tech. They won the OVC but missed the playoffs due to APR issues. So it can be done. Good luck!!

App State got smacked around by Kansas and LSU in '05 en route to the national title.

MplsBison
August 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'm jealous of the Wisconsin game, that's a huge recruiting base for NDSU. With the Big Ten going to 9 conf games in 2017, they'll eventually have to give in and schedule NDSU one of the years this decade.

The Iowa game I don't care about. Until/unless Bohl pulls his head out of his rear and actually starts recruiting the state of Iowa harder, then games with Iowa and Iowa State are a waste.

I think since Bohl has been coach NDSU has recruited an OL and two FB from the state of Iowa.

Although I still blame Bohl for neglecting the state primarily, another factor may be the very stupid policy of Iowa to not share near in-state tuition levels with other upper midwest public schools.

DOME
August 21st, 2011, 08:12 PM
Both BIG10 games will be tough especially since we're graduating a lot of talent. I do like the idea of a game in Madison. Labor day weekend will make travel easier and since I'll already be in Wisconson, who's up for Apple River on Sunday?

I also really like the exposure UNI will get in the state of Wisconson.

Western_101
August 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM
Football ain't cheap that's for sure.

Western will be playing Minnesota and UNLV in 2013. On the positive side is the pay out and it doubles the chance of sneaking away with an FBS win.

Have not poked around yet to see what the collective payouts will be.

Make no mistake about it, yes it is neat for the fans to watch their team in a big-time environment and it is neat for the players, but the bottom line is FCS schools and FBS schools with out Mega fan bases or Mega T.V. contracts need the payouts.

Houndawg
August 22nd, 2011, 01:10 AM
UNI has been to the playoffs 15 times since joining D1...out of those times UNI has won the conference 15 times. One time we didn't get the AQ, but got the #3 seed that year.

Losing out of conference doesn't hurt UNI, because we don't get in with at-larges.

UNI likely wasn't going to make the playoffs in 2012 anyway (if we did I would be extremely shocked) considering what we lose after this year.

Two Big 1 teams and the annual beating by SIU doesn't leave a lot of room for error, UNI needs to Bison-up and find a non-scholly FCS team to pay.

UNI Pike
August 22nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
Although I still blame Bohl for neglecting the state primarily, another factor may be the very stupid policy of Iowa to not share near in-state tuition levels with other upper midwest public schools.

Iowa's "stupid policy" is a safeguard against an influx of out of state students being subsidized by Iowa taxpayers. If the cost of attending U of South Dakota & University of Iowa were within a couple $1,000 dollars instead of the $18,000 difference currently, how many more students would cross the state line? The state is currently cutting support for academic & athlete programs, in state students, and the ever popular deferred maintenance. Out of state students are simply not high on the priority list.

Redbird Ray
August 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I don't know what ISU makes in revenue for a home game, but our past AD decided that it would be more advantageous to give up FBS games for the next two years (starting this year) so that we could have a 6th home game.

I've been pretty critical of the decision, and seeing all of these arguments supporting the necessity of payout games makes me even more pissed off about the decision. We do have a home and home coming up with Ball State after the two year FBS abstinence, but I think I would still rather be playing BCS competition each year.