PDA

View Full Version : Iona Names Fmr Lehigh LB to Asst Coach Role

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Iona got two very young coaches who just left the gridiron each within the last two years. One of them is Jon Guynes, a former Lehigh LB who has already made a coaching impact at a Div III school...

NOWLIN AND GUYNES JOIN IONA FOOTBALL STAFF
Gaels bring in new defensive line, linebacker coaches

March 30, 2006

New Rochelle, NY - Iona College head football coach Fred Mariani has announced two new additions to the Gael coaching staff. Brandon Nowlin will join the program as the defensive line coach, and Jon Guynes will become the linebackers coach.

Nowlin was a member of the 2003 National Champion Louisiana State University football team. He has been an assistant coach at Catholic High School in Baton Rouge, LA since 2004, working with the offensive line and tight ends his first year and the running backs this past season. Nowlin is presently working towards an M.S. in Sports Management from LSU.

Guynes was a three-year starter at linebacker for Lehigh University, with the Mountain Hawks posting a 36-11 record during his playing days and making two appearances in the Division I-AA playoffs. This past season, Guynes was a defensive assistant at Muhlenberg College, working primarily with the safeties. His unit was ranked in the top ten in all of Division III in 2005.

"We are extremely excited to bring in two coaches who have competed on championship caliber teams during their playing days," said Mariani. "Brandon and Jon have first-hand knowledge of what it takes to play an elite level of football, and I am certain our players will flourish under their tutelage."

The Gaels finished 3-7 overall in 2005, including a 1-3 record in the MAAC.

--GAELS--

http://www.iona.edu/gaels/story.cfm?id=2652

ngineer
March 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Interesting story. I'm sure Lembo is proud of sending some players into the coaching ranks. Guynes certainly learned what it takes to win consistently, and while not a 'star', he was a solid reliable player year in, year out. Muhlenberg is a very good D-III program, so he got started off on the right foot. All the luck to him as he becomes a nomad in the coaching ranks searching for that perfect oasis....

nlwwln
March 31st, 2006, 09:40 PM
iona I I iona

ngineer
March 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
iona I I iona

Reminds me a town's park near here in Pen Argyl, PA. Years ago the citizens banded together to buy a large tract of land to create a nice park with bandstand, pavillion, ballfields, etc. To outsiders, people think its an Indian name, but the park is called Weona Park because the people of the town own it. (we own a park);)