PDA

View Full Version : Summary of SLC Commish Interview on I-AA Waves

TexasTerror
March 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Here's a summary of what SLC Commish Tom Burnett said with Ralph of I-AA.org during the I-AA Waves this past week. Major points about expansion, I-A games and the I-AA scene (playoffs, enhancements)...

Figured our SLC fans on here would be interested in what the Commish had to say. Ralph did one helluva job doing that interview with Burnett, getting loads of info on the SLC and on I-AA football...

----------
Talked about the expansion to 12 teams overall with eight football schools. Talked about SLC roots with Arkansas State back in the day so the SLC is no stranger to the state. Didn't know this, but according to Burnett, UCA is the second largest school in Arkansas (behind Univ of Arkansas).

On I-A games. Said more I-AA teams are playing I-A for financial benefit, especially if you find the "right one" (geographic fit for easy fan access and beneficial for recruiting purposes). Brought up hurricane issues related to I-A games and how Louisiana schools have lots of question marks about higher ed financing, so those schools need help to run the athletic program.

In regards to the hurricanes, said it's a "day-by-day" situation. McNeese is practicing at a local school because McNeese's practice field was used for a military camp site, which destroyed it.

Burnett said the SLC will be strong next year and that former playoff teams like SFA is growing in year two of McFarland and how SELA is building a very strong program. Said there is always a surprise or two of who is going to be around at the end.

About future expansion. Says SLC "wrapped up the member issue last summer" and that the SLC will stick at 12 members. Football-wise, said UTSA has commissioned a study with San Antonio the largest market in the USA without Div I football. "If you don't play football in Texas, people want to know why." Says 14 is a little big, but "you never say never" and said conference shakeups are bound to happen.

Said he wants to enhance the I-AA championship even more and has been very happy with the progress of the I-AA playoffs. Says he likes Chattanooga as the I-AA title game host. Burnett is not happy that I-AA is seen by people as "less than" Div I football, but he says "you are in Div I football". Says in the end we will not refer to I-AA as such as "early as this coming season".

Burnett just stepped down from the Div I-AA Governance Commitee. On 12 games, says mixed views from SLC because of financial benefits and concern of 12 straight weeks of play. SLC administrative meeting will lead to final conference vote on view of subject. On seeding eight teams, he liked the idea, but says more than four teams deserve to be seeded and have a home game. Is not for seeding all 16 teams.

Says they have to make sure teams and schools are happy in I-AA so teams don't feel they have to jump up to I-A as well as making championship experience worth it. Says TV coverage has improved and more efforts to get more games national and that it's a huge selling point.

The audio of I-AA Waves from 3/28 (Burnett is the first to speak):
http://media22a.libsyn.com/podcasts/iaawaves/20060328show.mp3

March 29th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Tom's a great guy (big too). He's always in good humor too and can work a crowd.

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Tom's a great guy (big too). He's always in good humor too and can work a crowd.

Even puts up with uninformed television show hosts...

He survived through the FoxSW SLC Preview when the host completely butchered facts (said SHSU was in the I-AA championship game, when they were really in the I-AA semifinals in 2004) among many other things. It was awful...

dbackjon
March 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for posting that, TT

JoshUCA
March 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info! Although, I don't believe we are the 2nd largest in the state...I think we are 3rd (as of Fall 20005) behind U of Arkansas with 17,269, and Arkansas State with 16,937, then UCA with 11,375, followed by UALR (Spring 2006) with 11,230.

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Not a problem guys! It was important info for our conference and I-AA in general. Needed to be summarized!

McNeeserocket
March 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM
In regards to the hurricanes, said it's a "day-by-day" situation. McNeese is practicing at a local school because McNeese's practice field was used for a military camp site, which destroyed it.

Yes, McNeese is practicing at a middle school football practice field because McNeese's practice fields were pretty much destroyed by all the Military and FEMA vehicles, tents and other equipment used on the field. However, the middle school is adjacent to our practice fields and requires little inconvenience or travel time (though their field is not up to our regular standards). FEMA signed a contract with McNeese during the immediate Hurricane recovery time to use the fields and other athletic facilities as a govt. base camp for a couple of months. That contract promised to return property and facilities to the same quality as they were prior to the military presence. Therefore, FEMA is paying the bills to refurbish the practice fields and they should be ready by August practice.

Having the military on McNeese campus was especially helpful for protection and clean up. McNeese was without power for over three weeks and, as the city was under mandatory evacuation for about two weeks, the military and other govt. presence was greatly needed to protect the campus (and all of Lake Charles) from further destruction and looting.

The recovery effort in the Lake Charles and surrounding areas is ongoing and will be a long-term process. McNeese has two large classroom buildings completely closed and deemed unusable due to Hurricane Rita. Both of these buildings were used for classrooms and some faculty offices. There are at least three other buildings that are partially closed and deemed unusable. Our library has re-opened but parts of it are not usable and many resources in the library were damaged or completely destroyed.

12-16 FEMA trailers (larger than home trailers) are used for classrooms. Every available room larger than a closet has been converted to classrooms and/or office space. Athletic facilities all took hits, but none worse than our baseball field and building facility.

We are being told that the state (Louisiana) may not be able to fix the buildings and facilities for at least 5 years. To add more stress to our situation, we are going through our SACs accreditation and our NCAA accreditation process this year. Yet McNeese perseveres on both the academic level and on the athletic level.

kats89
March 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM
McNeese will be fine. Louisiana govt. leaves a little to be desired.