28 (Sat.) Wagner* 4:00
November
4 (Sat.) at Robert Morris* 1:00
11 (Sat.) Monmouth* 4:00
*Northeast Conference Opponent All Times Eastern
(HC) - Homecoming/Family Weekend

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Very respectable schedule. 8-3 is very possible, with wins against Fordham and Cornell possibly highlighting the OOC. The @ Lehigh and @ UD games will be tough, but you never know; @ Lehigh to open with a new coach and new faces in Bethlehem... you could 'pull a CCSU' and beat them!

danefan
March 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I think its a good schedule, not as tough as in years past. To get serious consideration for a playoff bid I think they need a 10-1 season with a win over either Delaware or Lehigh and those two teams being ranked at the end.

Thats going to be tough. Strong end to last year and only one starter lost on offense sounds good, but we'll see.

GannonFan
March 29th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I think its a good schedule, not as tough as in years past. To get serious consideration for a playoff bid I think they need a 10-1 season with a win over either Delaware or Lehigh and those two teams being ranked at the end.

Thats going to be tough. Strong end to last year and only one starter lost on offense sounds good, but we'll see.

Agree with that - a 10-1 record will get Albany in the playoffs with that schedule.

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Agree with that - a 10-1 record will get Albany in the playoffs with that schedule.

Well... no guarantees IMO. If the '1' is to Wagner, and the LU/UD wins are to teams with losing records (a longshot, but still) they could sit at home. They also need to have highly ranked teams win their conference autobids and not have the committee have to decide between a top 10 at-large Montana or Furman and a 10-1 Albany.

But yes, in plenty of scenarios, 10-1 is a strong at large possibility for UA.

Go...gate
March 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Kudos to Albany for stepping up out of conference.

danefan
March 29th, 2006, 06:14 PM
maybe the selection committee will ride the "George Mason-Mid Major" high and pick'em anyway!

Just kidding guys, I don't want another playoff thread to start:smiley_wi

TexasTerror
March 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Great job by Albany to schedule up...

Albany wants to compete with schools from auto-bid conferences. That's impressive. Don't back away from anyone, keep it up...

ngineer
March 29th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Looks to me like Albany may be looking to make a move up. If the A-10, or whatever it's called, blows up they can pitch to become part of a northeast/new england conference with Maine, UNH, URI, Hofstra, UMass, and others. Don't know if they'd be a good fit for the PL--Albany is a large state university, isn't it? Seems like it would be like Towson was for their short stint in the PL.
But, it's an excellent schedule for a program that want to try and make a statement.
After last year's Colgate/CCSU fiasco, nothing is impossible, but I would be very surprised to not see our guys come our fired up on September 2--regardless of who's on the other sideline.

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 07:09 AM
After last year's Colgate/CCSU fiasco, nothing is impossible, but I would be very surprised to not see our guys come our fired up on September 2--regardless of who's on the other sideline.

I don't know if 'surprise' is a strong enough description for us Colgate fans who witnessed our team come out against CCSU.: smh :

I think Albany is keeping two things going with this type of scheduling:

1. Be there if the CAA blows up for America East football or whatever comes to fruition.

2. In lieu of better options, push the NEC (and the NCAA) to the level of a playoff conference.

henfan
March 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I think Albany is keeping two things going with this type of scheduling:

1. Be there if the CAA blows up for America East football or whatever comes to fruition.

2. In lieu of better options, push the NEC (and the NCAA) to the level of a playoff conference.

Make that 3. Albany could be positioning itself for an all-sport invite to the CAA a couple of years down the line. Not saying it will necessarily happen, but it would be an interesting possibility if the Danes can find a way to fund 60-ish football scholarships and if the CAA decides to expand to 14 teams for Olympic sports at some point.

danefan
March 30th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Make that 3. Albany could be positioning itself for an all-sport invite to the CAA a couple of years down the line. Not saying it will necessarily happen, but it would be an interesting possibility if the Danes can find a way to fund 60-ish football scholarships and if the CAA decides to expand to 14 teams for Olympic sports at some point.

It is rumored that the scholarship money is already there.

The next step is funding the proposed stadium. I cannot imagine the university would build a $40 million, 15,000 seat stadium to stay in the NEC, unless the NEC goes to 60 rides.

A lot of things are happening at Albany since the hiring of the new president, Kermit Hall.

GannonFan
March 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
A lot of things are happening at Albany since the hiring of the new president, Kermit Hall.

Heh Heh, his name is Kermit, heh heh. ;)

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 09:57 AM
The scholarship money, as danefan said, is not a rumor...it is fact...sitting there waiting to be used.

There is a big meeting April 6 regarding the stadium. I have heard 10k-15k seats, again, still not for the NEC. The lax stadium/field hockey complex is finishing up a fund search for 4mm to build 2500 seats at each field.

I know the school is finishing up (or trying to) a 10mm private funding search for the stadium. Once that's completed...ground breaking (state, city, school already pledged $$$).

My guess is, like our Hen fan stated, UA would be A) pushing for CAA membership down the line and B) a school that would interest the CAA if they decided to expand or lose a member. Good academics, nice size media market, capital of NY, solid ALL SPORTS PROGRAM, and close to the northern CAA schools.

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Spring Noteshttp://www.albany.edu/sports/mens/football/gamenotes.pdf

2006 UALBANY SCHEDULE
September
2 (Sat.) at Lehigh TBA
9 (Sat.) Fordham 6:00
16 (Sat.) at Delaware TBA
23 (Sat.) Central Connecticut State* 4:00
30 (Sat.) at Cornell TBA
October
7 (Sat.) at Stony Brook* TBA
14 (Sat.) at Sacred Heart* 1:00
21 (Sat.) St. Francis, Pa.* (HC) 4:00
28 (Sat.) Wagner* 4:00
November
4 (Sat.) at Robert Morris* 1:00
11 (Sat.) Monmouth* 4:00
*Northeast Conference Opponent All Times Eastern
(HC) - Homecoming/Family Weekend

IMHO - Albany's best schedule yet! Yes, its not as tough as in the past, but if the Danes are as good as fans keep talking about :nod: they should go 2-2 in the OOC. Another win vs. Fordham, plus a maybe the NEC's first victory over an Ivy opponent (at Cornell). Lehigh would be a great win, but its very tough task on the road to open the season, and Delaware is nearly impossible. I've always thought this is how the NEC should schedule - 1 vs. the A-10; and a mix of PL, Ivy, and/or teams from the OVC or MEAC.

Now, becasue you know how much I love Albany :bow:, let's not forget about its peers in the NEC.

Stony Brook already has an increadable stadium which is better than many in the A-10/CAA. It also has 3 A-10/CAA teams on its schedule this year (vs. Hofstra, @ New Hampshire, and @ UMass). Peronally, I think its a bad idea for them, but so much for UA playing the "toughest schedule" in the NEC. So are UA and SBU a "package deal" on any conference changes in the future?

Monmouthand CCSU continue to play up a game or 2 each season. Monmouth played at Lehigh in 2005, is schedule to play at Colgate in 2006, at Lafayette in 2007, and at Delaware and home vs Lafayette in 2008. CCSU has played at Maine, UMass, UNH, and URI; they also won at Colgate and hosted URI last season; and they have a trip to Georgia Southern this season.

Even the smaller catholic schools Sacred Heart and St. Francis (PA) are starting to step it up slowly. SHU played at Holy Cross last year and will likely face another "up" game. Finally, the Red Flash are playing their first scholly program this season - at Delaware State.

UA certainly started getting all the NEC to schedule tougher and that is something to be very proud of, but remember they aren't the only NEC team making waves.IMO the Danes may be playing against the Seawolves, Hawks, and Blue Devils a little longer than some fans want, but I won't mind.
:hurray:

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I agree with what most of your assesment (and I do not believe UA/SBU would be a package deal...in fact, I see UNH and UA joining the CAA together if that would come to fruition.

As for stating we will be good....I have not seen that at all. IN fact, out of 90 guys, 60 are underclassman with a whopping 26 red-shirt frosh and 25 true frosh (who may red-shirt). In a few years we will be very good IMHO...this year is the growth year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Danes Fans,

Just curious, what's the plan for Title IX compliancy? There must be at least 30 new scholarships that have to be offset, correct? Obviously, one of the biggest challenges in this ordeal is maintaining all those male sports along with football. Hope Albany demographics aren't like UNH with well over 50% female students. That just makes it even more difficult for compliancy!

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM
There must be at least 30 new scholarships that have to be offset, correct?

There are 30 scholarships that used to be need-based grant to meet need that counted anyway. IMO, no Title IX implication at all. But I'm on the outside and just guessing.

The hit comes when they try to expand to 63.

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Danes Fans,

Just curious, what's the plan for Title IX compliancy? There must be at least 30 new scholarships that have to be offset, correct? Obviously, one of the biggest challenges in this ordeal is maintaining all those male sports along with football. Hope Albany demographics aren't like UNH with well over 50% female students. That just makes it even more difficult for compliancy!

Nope...we are in compiance because our 30 counters for the NEC were countered already for Title IX.

Plus, I wouldnt be suprised to see "cheerleading" or "dance team" schollys to comply, if need be.

And yes, we are over 50% female.

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM
C13 beat me too it.

We have the money saved for the remaining upgrades, including countering the 30 or so more schollys we may add.

I think our game against UCONN brought a boatload of fans out who know want to be a part of the school again. $$$ will start flowing in, especially from the corporate sponsors. UA has been building this for years. I would suspect, if offered, the Danes would seriously consider the CAA.

CUE MAINEJEFF....

henfan
March 30th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Title IX was certainly a challenge for UD, given the percentage of the school's female population (58%), and an even greater challenge for DSU.

FTR, there has been no public discussion about the CAA expanding to 14 schools since before Georgia State and NU were added in Spring 2004. If the CAA ever were to expand to 14, schools like UA and UNH would make nice additions.

In my unfounded opinion however, the CAA would not be inclined to simultaneously add 2 schools from north of its geographic center- probably not UA and UNH, though that might depend on the availability of expansion candidates and the priority placed on expansion. If past action is any indication, they'd probably look for one candidate from the north and one from the south, at least one of which would offer full scholarship I-AA football.

It'll be interesting to follow the CAA spring meetings this year.

henfan
March 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
CUE MAINEJEFF....

xlolx You just know that's coming. :nod:

Ruler 79
March 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I for one (I do every year) think we actually will win the NEC and have a chance to be very good this year. I fully expect to lose to Delaware but that game will be a blast with 25K in attendace and I would love to see an improvement in the score from last years showdowns A-10 teams....somebody tell me who to contact for tickets because I am driving down for that game and heard you just can't buy tickets to a Delaware game.

Lehigh will probably be a close loss IMHO. Cornell and Fordham are both beatable as well as the NEC schedule. Hell, If we had a kicker last year we would have probably won one more game.

17 of 22 starters return (not including our ***** FG kicker ...kid from who was 24-24 PAT from 2004 isback)plus some very good recruits on partial scholarships should see action right away. One Frosh kid got a full ride( I am sure he will start) as did All American Colin Disch.

Dane 96 is right, they are building to be competitve with the A-10 in the next couple of seasons.

SBU is gonna feel like Albany did the last 2 years with that schedule. They are gonna feel it after 4 or 5 games. UA was a 7-4 or 8-3 team, w/o the Northeasterns, Maine, Hoftsra, UMass etc. on their schedule. Probably still lose to CCSU and Monmouth but thats the schedule they decided to play!

I do not know how the confrence biz is going to play out. I do know that UA will be3 50 Plus scholarship team in a year or two. THE $ has been put aside!

GannonFan
March 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I for one (I do every year) think we actually will win the NEC and have a chance to be very good this year. I fully expect to lose to Delaware but that game will be a blast with 25K in attendace and I would love to see an improvement in the score from last years showdowns A-10 teams....somebody tell me who to contact for tickets because I am driving down for that game and heard you just can't buy tickets to a Delaware game.

Technically, there will only be 22k in the house - we only sit 22k at the stadium. As for tickets, you should be able to get tickets easily - there are roughly 12k season ticket holderds (far behind Montana's numbers but well ahead of the rest of IAA) and since Albany (no offense intended) will not excite most fans, you'll be able to get tickets maybe as close as a week before the game. To be sure, and to get good seats, I would advise you to get tickets when they go on sale - endzone seats are okay but grandstand seats (any grandstand seat as they are all good) are much better. Normally single game tickets go on sale to the public in August - just keep checking the UD website (see below) around then and you'll be set.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/tickets/index.html

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I do know that UA will be3 50 Plus scholarship team in a year or two. THE $ has been put aside!

I'd give that more lik 3-5 years. UA might have the money, but the rest of the conference? I don't know if the St. Francis's of the world are going to approve a move like that so quickly.

How is the rest of the NEC handling the 30 scholarship move? We hear about UA, SB, CCSU and Monmouth often. What about the rest? Are they doing it at the max level too?

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I think any move to 50 before three years will be prefaced on an invite to some other league, or the creation of AE football.

Agreed 13, no way in hell the other schools agree to this. Shoot, Monmouth only relunctantly agreed (though I think they are very happy with the move) to go to 30.

Most schools are not at the max or will not be working towards the max IMHO.

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Well getting back to football conversation,I for one am looking forward to 2007 when the Danes come to Andy Kerr with two scholarship classes on their team. If UA can make the move up to a solid 'non mid-major' program, I'd like it if we played more often than not in the future. 2 hours on the thruway isn't that far and intra-state rivalries are great for all involved.

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I'd give that more lik 3-5 years. UA might have the money, but the rest of the conference? I don't know if the St. Francis's of the world are going to approve a move like that so quickly.

How is the rest of the NEC handling the 30 scholarship move? We hear about UA, SB, CCSU and Monmouth often. What about the rest? Are they doing it at the max level too?

Here is my somewhat educated guess on how each NEC team is probably is moving forward:

Albany - Covered in much detail by others with better knowledge than me, but all signs indicate they will use the max 30 schollys. Only really high profile recruits/players (like a Disch) will get the full ride, they will spread the $ to get more depth. Waiting to add more schollys, but can't unless NEC agrees or they find a new home. They certainly want to follow an A-10/CAA type mold for their program in the future

Central Conn. St. - Very similar plan to Albany. Will likely use 25-30 schollys immediately. Funding is an issue, but tuition for in-state students are fairly low, so I expect most awards to be split among multiple out of state players. Limited resources could hold them back, but really they are not too different from a URI, Maine, or even UNH situation regarding state funding/support.

Monmouth - Also looking to be a "big time" player, but more in the PL mold than say CAA. Likely will use at least 20 shollys, possibly near the 30 max. Tuition is much higher than in-state cost at UA, CCSU, and SBU, so their cost of funding is much higher. Will be interesting if they can put a total package together (basketball/facilities/academics) for future PL consideration. They will be fighting Marist for to be the next up and coming small, private school program in the Northeast.

Robert Morris - Built a new stadium and located in the Western, PA hotbed of recruits. Has a great coach and can get talent, but I don't expect them to use more than 20 full rides (spread out). Can easily be the premiere program over Duquesne or SFPA, but its Pittsburgh locale isn't ideal vs. higher tier programs like a Youngstown St., or other privates like Monmouth or Marist.

Sacred Heart - They use sports to enhance the prestige and awareness off their university. Not really committed to be champions in any sport, but offer teams like bowling and equestrian to enhance student diversity and athletic opportunities to increase enrollment. SHU won't drop football, but they won't put the resources in to be an elite team or very competitive at a higher level. Likely to use about 20 or so schollys.

St. Francis - A very small school near Central PA. Good location for talent, decent academics, and a commitment to football (good coach, new field, upgraded schedule), but in the end they are too small to ever be a player. Very interesting that they've opened up a pipeline of raw talent from Hawaii/Pacific Islands, but will that translate into success? Like will ramp up to about 15-25 schollys.

Stony Brook - Very much in step with the "Albany plan" and they have an aggressive (and possible crazy) AD. They have one advantage over all NEC teams right now - a great stadium! Schedule is a monster, will get pounded this season. Look for them to use all 30 schollys ASAP.

Wagner - A small jewel on Staten Island! Enrollment and fiscal resources are likely not there, but they have decent academics and a great view of Manhattan. They can draw kids due to location, but there is a lot of competition for talent in the area and they unfortunately are last in the NY metro pecking order. Must use at least 20 schollys to be competitive just in the NEC, anything more than that is gravy.

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I think any move to 50 before three years will be prefaced on an invite to some other league, or the creation of AE football.

Agreed 13, no way in hell the other schools agree to this. Shoot, Monmouth only relunctantly agreed (though I think they are very happy with the move) to go to 30.

Most schools are not at the max or will not be working towards the max IMHO.

Dane fans (or anyone else) - Do you know if the existing 30 TOTAL grant-in-aid were switched directly to schollys beginning this season, or will they be phased in at 10 per year?

What I mean is are all NEC teams starting anew with the option to spread the 30 schollys max across the board to existing as well as incoming players for the 2006 season, or are they just offering the equiv of 10 schollys to new players this year?

89Hen
March 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I would advise you to get tickets when they go on sale - endzone seats are okay but grandstand seats (any grandstand seat as they are all good) are much better. Normally single game tickets go on sale to the public in August - just keep checking the UD website (see below) around then and you'll be set.
Of course the other option is to buy through Albany. Buying through them would give them "credit" for the seats and the visitors seats aren't bad at all in the Tub. Usually in Section N on the East Side. Some great sunsets viewed in the early season from the East Side. :nod:

89Hen
March 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I would suspect, if offered, the Danes would seriously consider the CAA. CUE MAINEJEFF....
Maine is a hockey school. We do not have hockey in the CAA (except field). No further discussion required. :p

ngineer
March 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Lehigh will probably be a close loss IMHO. Cornell and Fordham are both beatable as well as the NEC schedule. Hell, If we had a kicker last year we would have probably won one more game.

17 of 22 starters return (not including our ***** FG kicker ...kid from who was 24-24 PAT from 2004 isback)plus some very good recruits on partial scholarships should see action right away. One Frosh kid got a full ride( I am sure he will start) as did All American Colin Disch.

Dane 96 is right, they are building to be competitve with the A-10 in the next couple of seasons.

SBU is gonna feel like Albany did the last 2 years with that schedule. They are gonna feel it after 4 or 5 games. UA was a 7-4 or 8-3 team, w/o the Northeasterns, Maine, Hoftsra, UMass etc. on their schedule. Probably still lose to CCSU and Monmouth but thats the schedule they decided to play!

I do not know how the confrence biz is going to play out. I do know that UA will be3 50 Plus scholarship team in a year or two. THE $ has been put aside!

Check with your school. I would think Albany will be alotted a certain amount from UD...

GannonFan
March 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Check with your school. I would think Albany will be alotted a certain amount from UD...

The allottment is always small, certainly no more than 500 - we're stingy that way! ;)

UAalum72
March 30th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Dane fans (or anyone else) - Do you know if the existing 30 TOTAL grant-in-aid were switched directly to schollys beginning this season, or will they be phased in at 10 per year?

What I mean is are all NEC teams starting anew with the option to spread the 30 schollys max across the board to existing as well as incoming players for the 2006 season, or are they just offering the equiv of 10 schollys to new players this year?

From the report on the recruiting class:
UAlbany is phasing in the new rule gradually, spreading out the equivalent of eight full scholarships among 22 players in this recruiting class.

Doesn't really answer your question, but if the same returning players get the same amount of money, does it really matter? Seems it would only affect which new recruits get aid. I don't think the schollies are in addition to the previous need-based counters, and it would seem pretty cold to tell a poor kid you're taking his need-based aid away so we can give an athletic scholarship to someone else.

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Phased in...we gave out 8 rides this year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 30th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Yes, and that's the way to go. Even if there are only 500 of you there, it's always a lot more fun to be sitting together. But don't worry, I've always found the Hen's fans to be very friendly.

BTW, it goes without saying that every Danes football fan should make the extra effort to attend the game in Newark. It is an experience not often available at the I-AA level, especially in the Northeast!!!! I can't wait for the last weekend in September and I'm already prepping the boss that I will not be available that weekend! xlolx xlolx

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks D96 and Alum!

But I guess here is where I am still confused:

Does anybody know how many grant-in-aids equivs each NEC team used last year?

The max was 30, no more than 10 per year and I think this policy was in effect for at least 3 years.

Lets just assume as an example UA was ramped up to a total of 20 grants, spread evenly among 40 players for 2005. And lets say each full grant is worth $10K (for simple math reasons). That would be less than the NEC limit, but reasonable, right? Its a total of $200K in "aid."

So now in 2006, UA is giving out 8 scholarships (at the $80K) spread among various players. What happened to the additional $120 UA spent last year. Isn't this a step back for the NEC?

I'm sure this can apply to CCSU or SBU too. My point is isn't 8 or 10 schollys awarded this season, a smaller investment by dollar value than some NEC teams may have made last year with up to 30 "grants."

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I'm just not sure if there is a "net loss" during this transition.

Dane96
March 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks D96 and Alum!

But I guess here is where I am still confused:

Does anybody know how many grant-in-aids equivs each NEC team used last year?

The max was 30, no more than 10 per year and I think this policy was in effect for at least 3 years.

Lets just assume as an example UA was ramped up to a total of 20 grants, spread evenly among 40 players for 2005. And lets say each full grant is worth $10K (for simple math reasons). That would be less than the NEC limit, but reasonable, right? Its a total of $200K in "aid."

So now in 2006, UA is giving out 8 scholarships (at the $80K) spread among various players. What happened to the additional $120 UA spent last year. Isn't this a step back for the NEC?

I'm sure this can apply to CCSU or SBU too. My point is isn't 8 or 10 schollys awarded this season, a smaller investment by dollar value than some NEC teams may have made last year with up to 30 "grants."

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I'm just not sure if there is a "net loss" during this transition.

Understand the question...no answer for you. I would think though, kids with some aid last year will get $$$ some how.

henfan
March 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM
We do not have hockey in the CAA (except field). No further discussion required.

Well, FWIW, we have Northeastern, who plays NCAA D-I hockey. That didn't deter the CAA from pursuing them.

Hockey's such a specialized sport that it may not have much of an impact on conference decisions for football or Olympic sports. A few America East fans seem to think if their conference can gain control of Hockey East, it might make that conference more attractive as an all-sport destination.

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 03:06 PM
A few America East fans seem to think if their conference can gain control of Hockey East, it might make that conference more attractive as an all-sport destination.

And in the who knows how distance future, they might want to, too. Big 10 ice hockey (if it ever happened) would change the landscape of ice hockey in the NCAA IMO. The hockey only leagues that currently run the sport might scramble for bigger affilations if that monster ever comes to fruition.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM
And in the who knows how distance future, they might want to, too. Big 10 ice hockey (if it ever happened) would change the landscape of ice hockey in the NCAA IMO. The hockey only leagues that currently run the sport might scramble for bigger affilations if that monster ever comes to fruition.

OMG, Big Ten Hockey might devistate D-I Ice Hockey!! Right now, the B10 hockey schools are split between the WCHA and CCHA conferences. Both of those conferences (as well as Hockey East and the ECAC) have D-II and D-III schools. With the resources available in the B10, they could obliterate the competitive balance within D-I hockey. UNH, Maine, BU, Colgate, Cornell, etc. would have trouble "keeping up with the Jones" in the B10. How would Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Lowell, Merrimack, Ferris State, Nebraska-Omaha, Alaska-Fairbanks, Northern Michigan, etc. keep pace?

Thankfully, there are traditional rivalries that will probably keep a B10 hockey conference from ever happening. Minnesota and Wisconsin not playing North Dakota, Denver and Colorado College is not acceptable. Michigan and Michigan State not playing Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Miami (Ohio), Bowling Green isn't acceptable either. And thankfully, the other B10 schools seem content to only have club hockey.

89Hen
March 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Well, FWIW, we have Northeastern, who plays NCAA D-I hockey. That didn't deter the CAA from pursuing them.
But they have other sports, Maine does not. (baiting Jeff)

colgate13
March 31st, 2006, 07:18 AM
Thankfully, there are traditional rivalries that will probably keep a B10 hockey conference from ever happening. Minnesota and Wisconsin not playing North Dakota, Denver and Colorado College is not acceptable. Michigan and Michigan State not playing Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Miami (Ohio), Bowling Green isn't acceptable either. And thankfully, the other B10 schools seem content to only have club hockey.

I agree that right now, Big 10 hockey isn't going to happen. BUT...

both Illinios and Penn State have good club programs and could in theory make the jump to a varsity program. There have been rumblings of both - especially when you consider the fan bases of these schools and when they look at how a place like Michigan or Wisconsin makes tons of $ on their programs.

IF either (or both) of them did, the Big 10 would have 6 members playing Division I hockey: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Illinois/Penn State. I'm fairly certain, but I can't cite it, that the NCAA requires that if a conference has 6 members playing at the same level in the same sport, the conference has to sponsor it. Big 10 hockey would come about whether the current hockey schools like it or not.

I'm torn on the issue. On the one hand, perhaps big time conference affiliation is what NCAA hockey needs to make the leap from a regional sport with fanatic fans to a national sport with both fanatic and casual fans. I think that while some schools could be hit by it, one or two more B10 schools isn't really going to mean much overall. On the other hand, I can see the fear in upsetting the current balance that exists in hockey conferences.

Husky Alum
April 1st, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'm fairly certain, but I can't cite it, that the NCAA requires that if a conference has 6 members playing at the same level in the same sport, the conference has to sponsor it. Big 10 hockey would come about whether the current hockey schools like it or not.

You are correct. That's how CAA Football came about. Once NU joined the CAA - voila, 6 CAA teams, and the CAA got the A-10 to cede control of the football conference.

B10 Hockey has about as much a chance of happening as AE Hockey.