PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Valley Conference officials to visit UNA

kperk014
August 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
In the words of a great American: "Let's gitter done."

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110816/NEWS/110819846/1295/UPDATES?Title=Ohio-Valley-Conference-officials-to-visit-UNA

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Would the OVC ever look east?

TexasTerror
August 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Good opportunity for the OVC to ask face-to-face the tough questions regarding the finances and other concerns that they may have, some of which have come up due to comments made by UNA officials (per Dave Schmidt of Senior Reports)...

I'm not sure the OVC leadership (from the Presidents to the ADs) will hit the 'invite button' until they are absolutely sure that UNA can meet the benchmarks that they have set for themselves.

kperk014
August 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Good opportunity for the OVC to ask face-to-face the tough questions regarding the finances and other concerns that they may have, some of which have come up due to comments made by UNA officials (per Dave Schmidt of Senior Reports)...

I'm not sure the OVC leadership (from the Presidents to the ADs) will hit the 'invite button' until they are absolutely sure that UNA can meet the benchmarks that they have set for themselves.

By UNA Officials, I guess you mean William Cale. He's a little bit gutless and doesn't want to tick off the teachers who are ALWAYS demanding more pay just as they are everywhere. Of course the money to move up isn't coming from general fund anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wevnbt17kY&feature=youtu.be

TexasTerror
August 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
By UNA Officials, I guess you mean William Cale. He's a little bit gutless and doesn't want to tick off the teachers who are ALWAYS demanding more pay just as they are everywhere. Of course the money to move up isn't coming from general fund anyway.

Presidents are always in a very difficult position... got to keep all parties happy.

If the money is not going to come from the general fund, where is it going to come from? Is Cale forcing a student increase upon the students who are adamantly opposed? Is he expecting substantial increases in annual donations, monies that are going to re-occurring? Not sure how that is possible since those monies are not set in stone.

Wish UNA would follow nearby Jacksonville State's lead and realize their financial limitations... I think Cale does, but unfortunately - his bosses are pushing something else. A failed attempt to move to Div I by UNA would set the school back a decade... just ask our friends in San Marcos, Texas who made an effort and did not get over the hurdle for 10 years!

kperk014
August 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Presidents are always in a very difficult position... got to keep all parties happy.

If the money is not going to come from the general fund, where is it going to come from? Is Cale forcing a student increase upon the students who are adamantly opposed? Is he expecting substantial increases in annual donations, monies that are going to re-occurring? Not sure how that is possible since those monies are not set in stone.

Wish UNA would follow nearby Jacksonville State's lead and realize their financial limitations... I think Cale does, but unfortunately - his bosses are pushing something else. A failed attempt to move to Div I by UNA would set the school back a decade... just ask our friends in San Marcos, Texas who made an effort and did not get over the hurdle for 10 years!

I get a kick out of some of your propaganda. "students who are adamantly against it." 1,000 nerds out of more than 7,000 students and you act like it's a lynch mob.xlolx Of course you know how those temporary students think. If you let them run things there will be NO tuition and free beer for everyone. And how do you know what our limitations are? Your little rat on the inside? xlolx See you don't know nearly as much as you or your little rat thinks. They are already working on all of the donors and recruiting more and I'm sure Terry Bowden, with the unlimited supply of contacts he's built up in the last 15 years, is helping that endeavor quite nicely. You and your little rat and all his furry friends should stop being such ninnies. NO ONE is going into this with their eyes closed so just can it and let it happen. Don't have a coronary worrying about us.

Oh yes. Watch the link I supplied. Looks logical to me but then I don't have an axe to grind like your little rat and his friends.

Redbirdz
August 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Jacksonville State is moving ahead as planned, thank you.

kperk014
August 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM

How dare you question the Wizard of Oz and Dave Schidt, whoever he is.

dgtw
August 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
How dare you question the Wizard of Oz and Dave Schidt, whoever he is.

TT just spreads sunshine where ever he goes, doesn't he?

TexasTerror
August 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Not so fast per this article... http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/15095172/article-Meehan--JSU-not-quite-ready-for-FBS-move?instance=home_news

Jax State is probably a few years away (or perhaps like SHSU - a few conference realignments away). South Alabama and Troy are likely not willing partners to a Jax State in the Sun Belt and there really are no better options.

I get a kick out of some of your propaganda. "students who are adamantly against it." 1,000 nerds out of more than 7,000 students and you act like it's a lynch mob.xlolx Of course you know how those temporary students think. If you let them run things there will be NO tuition and free beer for everyone.

I've seen students pass votes... and 1 out of 7 at any institution is what I would call a successful turnout, having been involved in election campaigns and fee increases in the past. That's a pretty significant amount. Temporary or not, they have an investment in the school - probably more than many of the people who are on both sides of the Div I fence.

kperk014
August 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Not so fast per this article... http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/15095172/article-Meehan--JSU-not-quite-ready-for-FBS-move?instance=home_news

Jax State is probably a few years away (or perhaps like SHSU - a few conference realignments away). South Alabama and Troy are likely not willing partners to a Jax State in the Sun Belt and there really are no better options.

I've seen students pass votes... and 1 out of 7 at any institution is what I would call a successful turnout, having been involved in election campaigns and fee increases in the past. That's a pretty significant amount. Temporary or not, they have an investment in the school - probably more than many of the people who are on both sides of the Div I fence.

Yeah they do. For a couple of years anyway and then many of them will be off and could care less about what happens to the university AFTER they are gone while most of the ones on the correct side of the fence will still be here.

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Per Senior Reports...

Email response the the Senior Reports - 8-18-11

Mr. Schmidt,

This past June our Board of Trustees adopted a resolution that will take UNA to Division I athletics provided a series of benchmarks are achieved over the ensuing 12 months. One of those benchmarks is to meet all NCAA requirements for D-I status, and among those requirements is an invitation to membership from an established D-I conference. We have had discussions with the Ohio Valley Conference about our interest in them and their possible interest in UNA. The OVC understands that another of our benchmarks is a fundraising goal of $3M over this next year, which we are in the early stages of initiating, and that we must show that there is community support for this move. UNA holds the OVC in very high regard and believes that our university is a good fit athletically and academically with their member universities. As these initiatives and discussions are unfolding, we should note that the Gulf South Conference is having excellent success in rebuilding and is emerging from its recent loss of six members as a strong and vital league. Thus, to answer your initial question, the future for UNA athletics is quite secure.

UNA President Dr.Bill Cale

NoCoDanny
August 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM
They'll be in, how often do you not see visits lead to accepted invites?

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM

I remember a certain Pac-10 Commissioner visiting a few schools in Texas... ;)

UNA will eventually get an invite - I just do not believe it is going to be on the timeline that many think, based on some of the financial concerns. The OVC has done their homework and is going to give it a 'wait and see' approach to make sure UNA can reach the financial goals. Can't believe our one UNA fan on this board will not acknowledge it, but you can read between the lines...

UNA President saying that the BOD would like to be D1 and OVC, but that league understands some of their issues (i.e. benchmarks). Reiterates that their current option is not too bad particularly in light of changes there.

kperk014
August 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I remember a certain Pac-10 Commissioner visiting a few schools in Texas... ;)

UNA will eventually get an invite - I just do not believe it is going to be on the timeline that many think, based on some of the financial concerns. The OVC has done their homework and is going to give it a 'wait and see' approach to make sure UNA can reach the financial goals. Can't believe our one UNA fan on this board will not acknowledge it, but you can read between the lines...

UNA President saying that the BOD would like to be D1 and OVC, but that league understands some of their issues (i.e. benchmarks). Reiterates that their current option is not too bad particularly in light of changes there.

Well mam you can keep blowing off at the mouth. You do for your wife what salt peter does for men. They used to have a name for boys like you on SNL. Girly boy I think it was. :D By the way, did that Schidt guy came between you and your wife? You sure put a lot of stock in him.

kperk014
August 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM

That goofy guy has a thing for Schidt. He's a pro D2 guy and he'll say anything (and tt boy will believe every word) to keep UNA from leaving because the division is so watered down now, a few more big losses of schools like UNA will render D2 completely meaningless.

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Schmidt is a non-bias individual for the most part.

All of his content with the exception of a rare editorial (and I do mean - 'rare') comes from media outlets and direct correspondence with conferences.

I like the 'one stop' shopping of being able to check the one site and get all the realignment content from Div II through NAIA that I am looking for. There's a lot of moving and shaking - he's able to get those articles from his myriad of sources.

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM
we should note that the Gulf South Conference is having excellent success in rebuilding

Other than recruiting a school that went out of business.

kperk014
August 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Schmidt is a non-bias individual for the most part.

All of his content with the exception of a rare editorial (and I do mean - 'rare') comes from media outlets and direct correspondence with conferences.

I like the 'one stop' shopping of being able to check the one site and get all the realignment content from Div II through NAIA that I am looking for. There's a lot of moving and shaking - he's able to get those articles from his myriad of sources.

Yeah he hears his scuttlebutt from "impeccable" sources like your rat friend and his furry family. So let's all jump on the Ford Pinto of D2 football reporting! xlolx

kperk014
August 19th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Other than recruiting a school that went out of business.

THAT was hilarious! Salant even offered to loan them the money to get into the conference even though the whole school was only weeks from going bankrupt! xrotatehx Of course they were one of the GSC saviors that tt was drooling over.

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM
To be fair, the GSC has filled out its ranks. They have signed up Shorter, an NAIA school. That makes them the best new football member because none of the other new football members even exist at this point. Florida Tech will be a football only member and will start play in 2013. West Florida, already a member in other sports, will start a team in 2015 if they can find the money. New Orleans says they'll have a team that year as well, but they've changed their minds so many times lately I wouldn't buy tickets yet.

kperk014
August 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
To be fair, the GSC has filled out its ranks. They have signed up Shorter, an NAIA school. That makes them the best new football member because none of the other new football members even exist at this point. Florida Tech will be a football only member and will start play in 2013. West Florida, already a member in other sports, will start a team in 2015 if they can find the money. New Orleans says they'll have a team that year as well, but they've changed their minds so many times lately I wouldn't buy tickets yet.

I had rather they signed Taller. They would have been much more impressive.

dgtw
August 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
UAH should give up the ghost on their hockey team and start football.

kperk014
August 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Division I Committee Week In Review memo (August 15-21):

* We started to assemble the UNA D1 Advisory Board. This group will assist us in fulfilling the fundraising benchmark established in the Board resolution on June 13.
* The Ohio Valley Conference visited on Wednesday. It was a very positive meeting. We were able to share information about UNA and they were able to do the same for the OVC.
*The D1 video has been shown to 1 student group and 1 employee group. Both groups provided extremely positive feedback.
*Tomorrow, we have taken out a full page informational advertisement in the Sunday Times Daily. Hopefully, this will be beneficial to those individuals in the Shoals who have not seen the D1 presentation.

I know this will shatter the illusions of some...er...one who think UNA just, out of the blue, decided to go DI without a plan. This work is ongoing daily so mam, relax and find someone else to grate on.

Destiny By Choice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wevnbt17kY&feature=youtu.be

kperk014
August 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
UAH should give up the ghost on their hockey team and start football.

NO NO NO! Hockey is unsustainable as is D2 football in this area because there's no one near who plays it so they will have to give it up at some point. It may be a selfish reason but we already have competition in recruiting 65 miles away. We don't need more. :D

Destiny By Choice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wevnbt17kY&feature=youtu.be

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I know this will shatter the illusions of some...er...one who think UNA just, out of the blue, decided to go DI without a plan. This work is ongoing daily so mam, relax and find someone else to grate on.

There are concerns about the money. I know there is a plan in place to raise the money due to the Board of Directors mandate, but there are extreme doubts of having the funds in place perpetually to maintain Division I - by those who have more important roles in this transition than anyone on this forum.

The question remains - will the funds come to fruition? Historically, they have been nowhere close to the levels that are being relied upon by the University...

A shame when people with no pulse on athletics gets involved in things. It only gets in the way of an institution from doing whats right.

JaxSinfonian
August 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Kperk & TT, could the two of you please just add each other to your respective ignore lists? The tennis match is getting a little old.

kperk014
August 21st, 2011, 02:53 AM
There are concerns about the money. I know there is a plan in place to raise the money due to the Board of Directors mandate, but there are extreme doubts of having the funds in place perpetually to maintain Division I - by those who have more important roles in this transition than anyone on this forum.

The question remains - will the funds come to fruition? Historically, they have been nowhere close to the levels that are being relied upon by the University...

A shame when people with no pulse on athletics gets involved in things. It only gets in the way of an institution from doing whats right.

The REAL shame is when some doofus without a dog in the hung can't keep his big yap shut to avoid making himself look like a total imbecile. No offense. You and your little furry rat friends just need to go bump uglies because you certainly are completely devoid of any detectable intelligence. Start your own thread for you and little boys like you if you want to continue to pass manure orally and have no one challenge you on it, tt boy. xasswhipx xlolx

Destiny By Choice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wevn...ature=youtu.be

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Any updates from the OVC on UNA? With all this conference realignment and many leagues having just completed (or about to have) their fall meetings - figured we would of heard something...

Did read this - though take it as a grain of salt considering it is the Bleacher Report...

The University of North Alabama announced they would begin the six-year transition process of moving their athletic program from NCAA Division II to Division I this season.

UNA has been a dominant program in D-II for the last 40 years. With six national championships—three in football, two in basketball and one in volleyball—the Lions have had more success than most schools. Add their numerous Gulf South Conference titles and you have a stellar athletic program that is the pride of the Tennessee Valley, perhaps of Alabama or even the South. But even in the sports crazed South the move from Division II to Division I just doesn't seem to make sense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/905919-three-reasons-north-alabamas-move-to-division-i-is-a-mistake

dgtw
October 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
UNA is the pride of the state of Alabama? A fine program to be sure, but hardly the flagship program of the state. I know its Bleacher Reports, but that is pretty idiotic even for them.

EDIT-I just read what they had to say and its even more idiotic than what you quoted.

Alabama is already home to 10 Division I athletics programs. Recruiting just got a lot more difficult, competitive and expensive. Convincing parents across the nation to send their child to Alabama or Auburn, easy. Convincing them to come to North Alabama, much more difficult. You're also looking at recruiting in a much greater area to secure the level of talent required to compete at the Division I level. Lastly, UNA currently has 47 D-I transfers on its roster, and accounts for a great deal of their most talented players. Transferring from D-I to D-II is easy. Moving from FBS to FCS, much more difficult.

They will not be recruiting the same talent pool as Alabama and Auburn. They'll be convincing them to go to Florence rather than Jax State or Samford. Going from FBS to FCS isn't that hard, you do not have to sit out a year. And by my count, we only have nine DI programs. Bama, Auburn, UAB, Troy, USA, Jax State, Samford, Alabama A&M and Alabama State, unless I';m forgetting someone.

UNA currently offers six men's and six women's sports. Division I requires seven for each sex. The sports most likely to be added are women's golf and men's rifle. Women's golf already has nearly 1,000 unused scholarships annually across the US. Adding a sport that other schools already have a hard time recruiting athletes to play just doesn't seem like a good idea.

There are plenty of girl golfers in the state.

This might be the biggest reason of all—money, money, and more money. The extra, and expanded, team travel. The mode of travel. UNA can put the football team on buses and road trip to their current conference rivals. That simply can't be done in the Ohio Valley Conference. Recruiting is more expensive with the additional area needed to be covered. Coaches salaries will be exorbitantly higher in Division I; the average head football coach's salary in D-II is $75,000 while the average salary in D-I is $1.3 million. Add to that the increased facility requirements and UNA isn't just making a big jump, it's a quantum leap.

The travel in the two leagues is about the same. Jax State is further south and they bus everywhere. They won't be hiring a coach for $1.3 million. That number is kewed by the few that make the really big bucks and they are all in the FBS. The average FBS head coach probably doesn't make that much more than Terry Bowden makes now. The recruiting territory won't be much larger than it is now. They also would have the opportunity for money games in the SEC.

I'm not sure what facility requirements he is talking about. The women golfers and riflemen will use the ones they already use. If they add women's bowling, they can just go the bowling alley on Florence Boulevard.

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Kperk & TT, could the two of you please just add each other to your respective ignore lists? The tennis match is getting a little old.

Good suggestion from a cocky character! xpeacex xlolx

Can I second? xprayx

TheBisonator
October 26th, 2011, 03:17 PM
UNA is the pride of the state of Alabama? A fine program to be sure, but hardly the flagship program of the state. I know its Bleacher Reports, but that is pretty idiotic even for them.

EDIT-I just read what they had to say and its even more idiotic than what you quoted.

They will not be recruiting the same talent pool as Alabama and Auburn. They'll be convincing them to go to Florence rather than Jax State or Samford. Going from FBS to FCS isn't that hard, you do not have to sit out a year. And by my count, we only have nine DI programs. Bama, Auburn, UAB, Troy, USA, Jax State, Samford, Alabama A&M and Alabama State, unless I';m forgetting someone.

The travel in the two leagues is about the same. Jax State is further south and they bus everywhere. They won't be hiring a coach for $1.3 million. That number is kewed by the few that make the really big bucks and they are all in the FBS. The average FBS head coach probably doesn't make that much more than Terry Bowden makes now. The recruiting territory won't be much larger than it is now. They also would have the opportunity for money games in the SEC.

I'm not sure what facility requirements he is talking about. The women golfers and riflemen will use the ones they already use. If they add women's bowling, they can just go the bowling alley on Florence Boulevard.

When I read their line about the average FB head coach salary in DI being $1.3 million, I stopped reading.

Craig Bohl at NDSU makes $314,000 a year including incentives. And I think there are only a couple FCS coaches making more than him.

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
When I read their line about the average FB head coach salary in DI being $1.3 million, I stopped reading.

Yep - referring to FBS salaries. It's a Bleacher Report article! :)

Plenty of girl golfers, but schools struggle to fill those scholarships with quality girl golfers. It's different to have a team all shooting 90-100 each round compared to girls who are in the 70s or even 80s each round. It's a real struggle and I've heard that from golf coaches.

Golf schools do have facility issues. They are VERY lucky if they get free use of the golf courses, particularly when there are men and women's teams. One school I know of pays for memberships at two or three local courses, while another school in the same town gets free deals all over the place and doesn't pay a dime. We're talking a significant swing of probably $60-70k based on that one model.

Cocky
October 26th, 2011, 05:37 PM
The RTJ Trail course would be available since the State Retirement Systems owns the course. JSU home course is a RSA RTJ course.

dgtw
October 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I checked out the UNA golf team web site (sorry, I don't have a life) and while it did not say where they practice, it did mention a tournament they would be playing at an RTJ course near Florence. The men's team seemed to be pretty good, so if the same person coaches the women's team he might attract quality golfers.

Alos, there is no rifle team at UNA, according to their website. The men have football and golf, the women play volleyball and soccer; and tennis, cross country, tennis and baseball/softball are co-ed.

Redhawk2010
October 26th, 2011, 08:13 PM
DI does not require 7 and 7 sports. I don't know of anybody that flies in the OVC for OVC events. 8 hour bus trips aren't that terrible... I've made the trip from Cape to Jacksonville State twice while I was in college..

And the coaching salaries comment is just laughable..

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 08:17 PM
DI does not require 7 and 7 sports.

I think UNA's plan was to do 6 and 8, right? You just need 14 sports...

It was a Bleacher Report story, but mostly I stumbled across it and wanted to see if anyone had heard good or bad about the OVC's expansion as it relates to adding a football school. Everyone else is meeting for their fall gatherings... so what's the scoop?

Redhawk2010
October 26th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I think UNA's plan was to do 6 and 8, right? You just need 14 sports...

I guess if you count indoor and outdoor track as two separate sports, you can get there. SEMO has 5 men's sports listed (6 if track is split) and 8 women's sports (9 if track is split). 5+8=13...

dgtw
October 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Number of required sports: Division I members must offer at least 14 sports (at least seven for men and seven for women, or six for men and eight for women). The institution must sponsor at least two team sports (for example, football, basketball or volleyball) for each gender. The school also must have participating male and female teams or participants in the fall, winter and spring seasons.

Scheduling: All Division II schools must field athletes in at least ten sports, with male and female competition in a given sport counting as two different sports. In addition, all coeducational schools must field athletes in at least four sports in each gender

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/About+the+NCAA/Who+We+Are/Differences+Among+the+Divisions/

So DI requires 14 sports and you have to be at least 6/8 or 7/7. DII is 10 sports and you have to be 4/6 or 5/5.

UNA is currently 6/6, so they can add two women's sports or one of each. With the additional football scholarships, they'll likely add two women's sports to keep the Title IX people happy.

Yes, track counts as two seperate sports as they award seperate titles for indoor and outdoor. Anyone know why they have seperate seasons? Its the same people doing the same things.

However, UNA currently does not have a track program for either gender. The OVC has both indoor and outdoor track. The only other sport the OVC has that UNA does not is women's golf, so that would be a good addition. Bowling would be an easy addition. Alabama A&M has a team, as does UAB. A track program wouldn't be too hard to start. One set of coaches could run all four programs and you'd only need two sets of scholarships.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I guess if you count indoor and outdoor track as two separate sports, you can get there. SEMO has 5 men's sports listed (6 if track is split) and 8 women's sports (9 if track is split). 5+8=13...

The track and field components really bolster you...

Indoor and outdoor and cross country country is three sports men, three sports women. I'm really not sure how many people at the Div I level properly fund the sports though, they just seem to utilize them in order to meet the Div I minimums for sport sponsorship. Same coaches, student-athletes for the most part for three sports aside.

UNA is currently 6/6, so they can add two women's sports or one of each. With the additional football scholarships, they'll likely add two women's sports to keep the Title IX people happy.

I believe we'll see UNA add bowling and women's golf based on what I read. Bowling is catching on and UAB added it recently... SHSU, SFA, Tulane are other schools in the 'region' that have added it in recent years.

JaxSinfonian
October 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
The travel in the two leagues is about the same. Jax State is further south and they bus everywhere.

Actually, travel for UNA in the OVC will be much better than it would be if they remained in the Gulf South. The following is repurposed from a post I made in an earlier thread on this topic. (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?90975-Column-UNA-Making-a-Mistake-by-Moving-to-D-I&p=1662828&highlight=#post1662828)

The average travel distance from Florence to the football-playing schools in the expected 2015 makeup of the GSC (Adding football at UNO, UWF, Florida Tech, waiting on Shorter to move up) is 341 miles. The average distance to the current football-playing members of the OVC is 215 miles. The shortest trip in the future Gulf South would be to Shorter, at 181 miles. There are five OVC schools closer to UNA than that: Tennessee State, Jax State, UT Martin, Murray State and Austin Peay. (I calculated distances using Google maps, taking the shortest mileage of the three routes it recommended.)

There are plenty of challenges for UNA in a move to DI. I don't understand why critics of the move feel the need to invent imaginary challenges, especially when they're actually ignoring benefits of a move up.

dbackjon
October 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Actually, travel for UNA in the OVC will be much better than it would be if they remained in the Gulf South. The following is repurposed from a post I made in an earlier thread on this topic. (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?90975-Column-UNA-Making-a-Mistake-by-Moving-to-D-I&p=1662828&highlight=#post1662828)

The average travel distance from Florence to the football-playing schools in the expected 2015 makeup of the GSC (Adding football at UNO, UWF, Florida Tech, waiting on Shorter to move up) is 341 miles. The average distance to the current football-playing members of the OVC is 215 miles. The shortest trip in the future Gulf South would be to Shorter, at 181 miles. There are five OVC schools closer to UNA than that: Tennessee State, Jax State, UT Martin, Murray State and Austin Peay. (I calculated distances using Google maps, taking the shortest mileage of the three routes it recommended.)

There are plenty of challenges for UNA in a move to DI. I don't understand why critics of the move feel the need to invent imaginary challenges, especially when they're actually ignoring benefits of a move up.

And for all other sports, with Belmont joining the OVC, that is another 120 mile trip from Florence to Nashville

kperk014
October 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm glad to see more folks looking at this more in depth.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm glad to see more folks looking at this more in depth.

I am sure the OVC leadership surely is... ;)

kperk014
October 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I am sure the OVC leadership surely is... ;)

xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
This could turn into an interesting development if NKU gets an invite... is there any more movement at UNA?

HIGHLAND HEIGHTS - Northern Kentucky University is expected to be playing Division I sports by next fall.

An invitation from a Division I conference should come by the end of 2011 and potentially in the next several weeks.

"We've had multiple conferences approach us but we're only talking with one," President Jim Votruba said Wednesday.

He would not identify the conference. But the heavy favorite is the Ohio Valley Conference, which also includes Eastern Kentucky University, Murray State University and Morehead State University.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111109/NEWS01/111100319/NKU-moving-sports-Division-I?odyssey=tabltopnewstextlSports

ekufbfan
November 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
This could turn into an interesting development if NKU gets an invite... is there any more movement at UNA?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111109/NEWS01/111100319/NKU-moving-sports-Division-I?odyssey=tabltopnewstextlSports
The newpaper article says that NKU has NO intentions of adding football. IMO, that's a deal breaker, but knowing what the OVC has done in the past, it would not surprise me to see them in the OVC. I hope they go elsewhere.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I believe the Summit League is pushing for Northern Kentucky as well after Oral Roberts bolted for the Southland.

TTUEagles
November 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
The newpaper article says that NKU has NO intentions of adding football. IMO, that's a deal breaker, but knowing what the OVC has done in the past, it would not surprise me to see them in the OVC. I hope they go elsewhere.

I am 100% with you.

dgtw
November 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I am 100% with you.

Same here. Can we kick out all the non scholarship football schools?

kperk014
November 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
On the radio today, Terry Bowden said he's been informed that the DI progress is well ahead of schedule. Bowden hasn't been involved since practice started in August. Also Bobby Bowden has agreed to be the Honory Chair of the Advisory Board. He attended the first meeting and was very gracious with his time.

Redhawk2010
November 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Same here. Can we kick out all the non scholarship football schools?

LOL.. also how bout the ones who don't play a full conference schedule? ;) Nevermind.. they actually are this year.. ;)

The OVC has to be careful I think of where it is headed with its identity. Could there be a time coming where the OVC splits and has the "Ohio Valley Conference" and the "Ohio Valley Football Conference" like the MVC/MVFC? We have two schools currently without football and one who has football, but doesn't participate in the OVC for it, correct?

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2011, 07:11 AM
How far is NKU from the Summit League schools? I guess I could see that happening as well and not something that I thought about. You guys know that geographic region much better than I do!

What is the point of the OVC adding members if they are at 12 right now and they have plenty of football schools? And if you got to 13, wouldn't you feel compelled to add a 14th? Let me know if my math is incorrect.

Professor Chaos
November 11th, 2011, 09:20 AM
How far is NKU from the Summit League schools? I guess I could see that happening as well and not something that I thought about. You guys know that geographic region much better than I do!

It's only a little over 100 miles from Indianapolis which is where Summit member IUPUI is. IUPUI's current travel partner in the Summit, Western Illinois, is a little over 250 miles from Indy.

dgtw
November 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
The OVC has Southern Illinois-Edwardsville as a non football member and Morehead State is in the Pioneer League. Tennessee State is playing a full schedule this year, not sure how many "classics" they have lined up in future seasons. Belmont is joining next year. That will indeed give them 12 members in basketball, with three not competing in football. According to Wikipedia, Tenn. St. is the only school without baseball.

I don't see why they want the league to get so bloated. If they just had nine full members, that would give them a 16 game basketball schedule and you'd play everyone home and home. Nothing builds rivalries and conference untiy like seeing everybody every year. A smaller schedule also allows for more money games or games in your area against other schools your size.

I'll give them a pass on Morehead since they are a charter member, but what was the deal with SIU-E? Was that to make the northern schools happy? Samford had just left, so that cut down on travel for them anyway. And why Belmont?

kperk014
November 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
While the "big boys" are extending their conferences from sea to shining sea, it might be best for others to contract a little, area-wise. Maybe the TVC (Tennessee Valley Conference) should morph out of the OVC. It's area could cover all of Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama from Birmingham north, north Mississippi (In case Ole Miss wants to move down), north Georgia and western North Carolina.

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Belmont significantly raises the "cred" of the OVC in men's basketball. In my opinion, UNA, even being a school moving up in classificatino, does that for football. I'm totally guessing that the OVC is preparing itself in case of Jacksonville St. and/or TSU leaving. I don't get the appeal of SIU-E or NKU, either. If you go to ovcfans.com it's primarily a basketball board - the football part is usually a ghosttown - except for a recent influx of JSU fans. Most on that site, want NKU and are thrilled about Belmont to raise the RPI of the conference. Most also want OVC schools to go non-scholly so that they can devote more $$$ to men's basketball...Pisses me off just writing about it.
Also, I don't have any animosity about TSU usually only playing 7 conference games - blame the OVC for presenting that to TSU to get them to join....TSU didn't demand that, the OVC offerred it.

dbackjon
November 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
It's only a little over 100 miles from Indianapolis which is where Summit member IUPUI is. IUPUI's current travel partner in the Summit, Western Illinois, is a little over 250 miles from Indy.

Summit makes sense for NKU - gives four schools in the "east" (Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI and NKU)

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
The OVC has Southern Illinois-Edwardsville as a non football member and Morehead State is in the Pioneer League. Tennessee State is playing a full schedule this year, not sure how many "classics" they have lined up in future seasons. Belmont is joining next year. That will indeed give them 12 members in basketball, with three not competing in football. According to Wikipedia, Tenn. St. is the only school without baseball.

9 football, 12 playing members makes absolute sense for a league - though the Tennessee State situation is awkward. Ideally, you give football a total of eight games (four home, four away) while setting up decent travel partners and a solid scheduling format for volleyball, soccer and basketball.

I'm totally guessing that the OVC is preparing itself in case of Jacksonville St. and/or TSU leaving.

Where would Tenn State go to? The SWAC does not seem to make sense in the least bit on travel alone. They'd be flying just about everywhere for all sports and not sure the SWAC wants an uneven #11 without reasonable Div II options (unless Tuskegee steps up to the plate).

kperk014
November 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM
9 football, 12 playing members makes absolute sense for a league - though the Tennessee State situation is awkward. Ideally, you give football a total of eight games (four home, four away) while setting up decent travel partners and a solid scheduling format for volleyball, soccer and basketball.

I agree. However Alabama A&M is already doing it. Their game attendance is in the dumper from what it used to be. Not too many will travel from Prairie View to Normal, Al. It makes no sense.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I agree. However Alabama A&M is already doing it. Their game attendance is in the dumper from what it used to be. Not too many will travel from Prairie View to Normal, Al. It makes no sense.

Alabama A&M at least has Alabama State as a travel partner... who does Tennessee State have in the SWAC?

And keep in mind that in some sports, cross-division travel is minimal or non-existent. In baseball, you only play in-division home-and-home with out of division games as 'non-conference'. Same goes for volleyball, just off of what I know. That eliminates significant travel.

Basketball, you play cross-division home-and-home to have games... but I believe tennis and bowling have 'cross-over'-type events.

kperk014
November 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Alabama A&M at least has Alabama State as a travel partner... who does Tennessee State have in the SWAC?

And keep in mind that in some sports, cross-division travel is minimal or non-existent. In baseball, you only play in-division home-and-home with out of division games as 'non-conference'. Same goes for volleyball, just off of what I know. That eliminates significant travel.

Basketball, you play cross-division home-and-home to have games... but I believe tennis and bowling have 'cross-over'-type events.

That's why Boise State was invited to the Big East on a football only plan. That makes a little sense. Virginia Tech to the Big 12 in all sports makes no sense. Can you imagine the travel costs for men's and women's basketball and baseball/softball?

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.timesdaily.com/stories/UNA-running-back-Goode-suspended-charged-with-domestic-violence,184260?content_source=&category_id=40&search_filter=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=&sub_type=stories&town_id=

Not good.

kperk014
November 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.timesdaily.com/stories/UNA-running-back-Goode-suspended-charged-with-domestic-violence,184260?content_source=&category_id=40&search_filter=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=&sub_type=stories&town_id=

Not good.

Yeah, considering how well he was thought of in Tuscaloosa as a good person, you gotta wonder what REALLY happened. That story left out this from the Times Daily: "Officials said it appeared an argument between Goode and his girlfriend turned into a pushing match." Only one sentence but it's very important. Today's women really know how to push a guy's buttons. The saying I've come up with is: It usually takes two to tango, but it's always the male... who goes to jail.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
That's why Boise State was invited to the Big East on a football only plan. That makes a little sense. Virginia Tech to the Big 12 in all sports makes no sense. Can you imagine the travel costs for men's and women's basketball and baseball/softball?

Changes at the upper level of Division I make sense for other reasons. West Virginia, you mean?

Anyhow, at the lower levels and the OVC is a low major (let's not mistake ourselves) - decisions are made for geographic purposes and for the benefit of the student-athletes. The OVC at 12 institutions, of which nine play football is an ideal setup (one the SLC is trying to get to) and I do not see what the need is to expand when they know that UNA or another institution is not going anywhere anytime soon to fill a spot should Jacksonville State move on.

kperk014
November 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Changes at the upper level of Division I make sense for other reasons. West Virginia, you mean?

Anyhow, at the lower levels and the OVC is a low major (let's not mistake ourselves) - decisions are made for geographic purposes and for the benefit of the student-athletes. The OVC at 12 institutions, of which nine play football is an ideal setup (one the SLC is trying to get to) and I do not see what the need is to expand when they know that UNA or another institution is not going anywhere anytime soon to fill a spot should Jacksonville State move on.

Yes West Virginia. We are only 2 to 3 hours away from a majority of the OVC schools. I think we will get the invite even though it will just kill you if we do. Don't know why but it will.:)

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Yes West Virginia. We are only 2 to 3 hours away from a majority of the OVC schools. I think we will get the invite even though it will just kill you if we do. Don't know why but it will.:)

I think you guys will eventually get an invite, but I've heard that the immediate plans are not going the way of UNA at this point. I'm a bit confused on that, but everything is political beyond my understanding when it comes to college realignment on a large scale!

kperk014
November 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I think you guys will eventually get an invite, but I've heard that the immediate plans are not going the way of UNA at this point. I'm a bit confused on that, but everything is political beyond my understanding when it comes to college realignment on a large scale!

I expect the OVC is just as prone to confusion as the SEC has been on expansion. And yes, unfortunately sports is just as political as....well..... politics.