PDA

View Full Version : The "90 Wide" Mentoring Program at Holy Cross

crusader11
August 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM
http://magazine.holycross.edu/issue_45_3/45_3_sports/45_3_gridiron

Great stuff here. Do other schools have similar programs?

Go...gate
August 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
That is a great program. I don't know if Colgate has such a program - others may be able to answer this.

Fordham
August 15th, 2011, 05:24 AM
This program sounds awesome. We have career mentoring night and a really great internship assistance program. I think it's been huge for us and I think this level of involvement from Gridiron Alums can really go a long, long way towards building a stronger voice at HC for football. It's what I've been harping on for Gtown for years as the best way to build up their program. Without it, we likely would not be playing FCS football IMO.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I think it's been huge for us and I think this level of involvement from Gridiron Alums can really go a long, long way towards building a stronger voice at HC for football. It's what I've been harping on for Gtown for years as the best way to build up their program.

I'm not following your concern here. Georgetown has had such a program for a number of years.

Fordham
August 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm not following your concern here. Georgetown has had such a program for a number of years.

Just referring to Gridiron Club support in general. Over the years I've referenced that this has been the only way for us to even have a program today, let alone have one that is spending at the highest levels of FCS. Whether it's lack of university support for the overall football budget or for the Multi-Sport facility, I think the only way for you guys to not only survive but turn around the ship and finally start to capitalize on your great potential (I know you hate that) is to have your Gridiron Club take it to the next level. So, my comment had less to do with this program specifically (although I did not know you had one) than it does with overall Gridiron Club support; which, if memory serves from our back-and-forths over the years is there but not THAT strong.

If I'm reading this correctly, HC has gone from having no real Gridiron Club to speak of (doesn't mean total lack of alum support) to developing a Club and now doing programs like this one. It's much more powerful for a group of organized alums to support the program, rally to various causes on behalf of the program and, most important imo, make sure the administration knows that there are benefits to their support of the program and costs to neglecting or hurting it. Doesn't mean we or they will always get our way but it does get us listened to much better than the same # of individuals supporting the program on their own. I think it bodes very well for the future of the HC program for no other reason than, again, it's the only way our program has even survived.

Kudos to HC alums