PDA

View Full Version : My socon 2006 predictions

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM
GSU 6-1 (only loss to Furman): In all seriousness, no one really knows what to expect from GSU this year. It will be interesting to see how things come out for us. Of course, since it's my team, I'm going to be optimistic and say that we will come out on fire this year. I don't think ASU will beat us (since it's a revenge game, and homecoming) but Paladin stadium will be tough. You just can't underestimate the home-field advantage in the Socon. WCU and Citadel will improve this year and will give us good games in their stadiums but I don't think they'll get us. GSU is co-champions with ASU in the Socon and gets the Auto bid. GSU of course makes the playoffs. OOC games are Centrical Connecticut State, Coastal Carolina, North Dakota State, and Central Arkansas. We will lose to either North Dakota State or Coastal, but I'm not sure which one, which will make us 9-2 overall.

ASU 6-1 (only loss to GSU): Even though Richie Williams and a few other Key players are gone, they still have good depth and will be a force to reckon with in the Socon this year. ASU makes the playoffs. OOC games are NC State, James Madison, Mars Hill, and Gardner Webb (their first four games, by the way). Their first Socon game isn't until September 30th, on ASU's early homecoming. They will win all of these (including NC state) and will finish 10-1. I don't know about them winning the national championship again, though.

The Citadel 5-2 (losses to Georgia Southern, App. State): One of the surprise teams of the year. Their OOC schedule this year is Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, Charleston Southern, and VMI. I predict 5 conference wins and two IAA OOC wins over CS and VMI. This will give them 7 DI wins and they may possibly make it into the playoffs.

Furman 5-2 (losses to App. State and The Citadel): Furman will lose in Boone and will fall to a tough Citadel squad on their home turf (Don't underestimate The Citadel, they beat GSU at home in 2003 and knocked us from the playoffs). OOC games are Jacksonville State, West Georgia, North Carolina, and Coastal Carolina. They will win all of those games (including UNC) and finish 9-2. They will make the playoffs. (Yeah, yeah, I know, four Socon teams in the playoffs. It could happen though.)

Western Carolina 3-4 (losses to App State, Citadel, Furman, GSU): Not that these guys aren't getting better, it'st just that there isn't enough room in the Socon for everyone to be 5-2 or 6-1. They have to play at The Citadel and at Furman and those games will be tough. Hosting GSU and ASU won't be easy either. OOC games are Chowan, Eastern Kentucky, Liberty, and Florida. They should win all of those except Florida, which I imagine they will give Florida a frustrating first half until the gators realize they are going to have to play hard if they want to run up the score. Overall record: 6-5.

Wofford 2-5 (losses to GSU, ASU, Furman, WCU, and the Citadel) OOC games are South Carolina State, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina, and Gardner Webb. With wins over just Gardner Webb in the OOC, that makes their record 3-8. Not too bad of a team, but a tough schedule.

UTC 1-6 (losses to GSU, ASU, Furman, WCU, Citadel, and Wofford): OOC games are Memphis, Western Kentucky, Tennessee Tech, and Jacksonville State. A win over Tennessee Tech makes them 2-9 for the season. Not as good as Wofford imo, but still not bad and is just caught with the misfortune of playing in a tough conference and in a tough schedule.

Elon 0-7 (Loses to everyone) OOC games are Coastal Carolina, Towson, Presbyterian, and north Carolina A&T. I predict they beat Towson and Presbyterian, but lose to Coastal and NCAT, both of whom they will play on the road. This makes their overal record 2-9.

ChickenMan
March 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Elon 0-7 (Loses to everyone) OOC games are Coastal Carolina, Towson, Presbyterian, and north Carolina A&T. I predict they beat Towson and Presbyterian, but lose to Coastal and NCAT, who they both have to play on the road. This makes their overal record 2-9.

Even back in '04 and '03... when Towson was a bad team... they crushed Elon and now the Tigers are actually a pretty decent A10 team. If Elon isn't good enough to beat anyone in the SoCon... don't expect a win vs Towson.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Even back in '04 and '03... when Towson was a bad team... they crushed Elon and now the Tigers are actually a pretty decent A10 team. If Elon isn't good enough to beat anyone in the SoCon... don't expect a win vs Towson.

I'm not sure about that. I think Elon will be somewhat better but not good enough to be competitive in the Socon. Also, they have Towson at home.

MYTAPPY
March 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM
My quick SoCon preseason poll.
1. App State: It helps to have Furman and Wofford at The Rock. We'll play tough against NC State. May or may not win that one. May also stumble for a loss in Statesboro. We just don't play well there. Perdiction 9-2.
2.Furman: Stout defense will keep them close to the top. Loses include: at North Carolina, at App, and at Coastal. Prediction 8-3
3.Chattanooga: They have a quick high powered offense that most people will underestimate. Loses include: at Memphis, at Furman, at Citadel. Prediction 8-3
4.GSU: Kids will learn the flow of a new coach quick but won't be able to get enough to capture the SoCon crown. Loses include: at Chattanooga, at WCU, and at Furman. Prediction 8-3
5.WCU: The Catamounts are on the comeback prowl. Offense it starting to click, but may need some help on D. Loses include: at Furman, at Citadel, App State, and at Florida. Prediction 7-4
6.Citadel: They have a sitngy defense and just play well at home no matter who the opponent. Losses include: at Texas A&M, at Pitt, at Furman, GSU, at App State. Prediction 6-5
7.Wofford. What can I say. Another down year for the Terrieres
Not going to list all the losses: Prediction 3-8
8.Elon: Just because they're ELON:( Prediction: 2-9

colgate13
March 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Anyone know the history of preseason favorites in the SoCon and how they fared in the end? A lot of times the #1 preseason ranking is the kiss of death...

Looking back at the PL for example, I don't know if the preseason #1 has actually won it now for something like 5 years. I think you have to go back to 2001 to find a Lehigh time that was #1 and ended up going 7-0 in the league.

I think the A-10 is similar.

ChickenMan
March 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure about that. I think Elon will be somewhat better but not good enough to be competitive in the Socon. Also, they have Towson at home.

the last time Elon had Towson 'at home' ('04) they got spanked... 34-13 and Towson (3-8 in '04 / 6-5 in '05) is much improved from the '04 squad.

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 02:17 PM
With out thinking about it much here are my thoughts, will post again after I really consider.

1 ASU - (6-1)(9-2) I will say GaSU beats them only because of home field advantage and a little revenge is in store.
2. Furman - (5-2) (8-3) we finish 8-3 maybe 7-4 Lose to ASU and UNC. Will lose to one or both of the following; CCU/and or Wofford. JSU will be a challenge but home field will give us the win Should not lose to either Wofford or CCU, but Wofford is due to beat us. CCU emotion will be running high and I am not sure Furman will have that intensity. I-AA pawns I-A, I don't think the Citadel has the man power to beat FU at home.
3. GaSU - (5-2)(8-3)Lose to Furman, and either Chatt or WCU clips the Eagles early (maybe both) Lose to NDSU
4. WCU - gets more difficult to predict records with all the possibilites so from here on so I will predict position finish.
5. Wofford - Schedule works to their advantage with Chatt, WCU and Citadel at home
6. Chatt - Their lack of winnable home games makes an otherwise good team look worse than they are.
7. Citadel - Another year or two away from competing
8. Elon, I don't see improvement and their record may be 2-9 with OOC loses to Towson and CCU.

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM
the last time Elon had Towson 'at home' ('04) they got spanked... 34-13 and Towson (3-8 in '04 / 6-5 in '05) is much improved from the '04 squad.

I will be surprised if Elon beats Towson. New Coach may turn it around but this is not the year.

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Anyone know the history of preseason favorites in the SoCon and how they fared in the end? A lot of times the #1 preseason ranking is the kiss of death...

Looking back at the PL for example, I don't know if the preseason #1 has actually won it now for something like 5 years. I think you have to go back to 2001 to find a Lehigh time that was #1 and ended up going 7-0 in the league.

I think the A-10 is similar.

I believe Furman was picked to win in 2004 and 2005, ASU won in 2005 and FU and GSU split in 2004 with FU getting the auto by beating GSU.
Not sure beyond those years

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
My quick SoCon preseason poll.
1. App State: It helps to have Furman and Wofford at The Rock. We'll play tough against NC State. May or may not win that one. May also stumble for a loss in Statesboro. We just don't play well there. Perdiction 9-2.
2.Furman: Stout defense will keep them close to the top. Loses include: at North Carolina, at App, and at Coastal. Prediction 8-3
3.Chattanooga: They have a quick high powered offense that most people will underestimate. Loses include: at Memphis, at Furman, at Citadel. Prediction 8-3
4.GSU: Kids will learn the flow of a new coach quick but won't be able to get enough to capture the SoCon crown. Loses include: at Chattanooga, at WCU, and at Furman. Prediction 8-3
5.WCU: The Catamounts are on the comeback prowl. Offense it starting to click, but may need some help on D. Loses include: at Furman, at Citadel, App State, and at Florida. Prediction 7-4
6.Citadel: They have a sitngy defense and just play well at home no matter who the opponent. Losses include: at Texas A&M, at Pitt, at Furman, GSU, at App State. Prediction 6-5
7.Wofford. What can I say. Another down year for the Terrieres
Not going to list all the losses: Prediction 3-8
8.Elon: Just because they're ELON:( Prediction: 2-9'

If your Chatt predictions are correct, then Furman wins the conference cuz chatt beats ASU:D I know picky picky.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure if I'm sold on this UTC hype yet. I don't see us losing to them or WCU. IMO, our most likely losses (from most likely to least likely) are:

1. Furman
2. NDSU
3. Coastal
4. ASU
5. The Citadel
6. Western
7. UTC

The other games, I think there is little chance that we will lose.

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure if I'm sold on this UTC hype yet. I don't see us losing to them or WCU. IMO, our most likely losses (from most likely to least likely) are:

1. Furman
2. NDSU
3. Coastal
4. ASU
5. The Citadel
6. Western
7. UTC

The other games, I think there is little chance that we will lose.

How early in the season is the CCU game?
I agree I am not sold on the Chatt hype myself, but I think playing them early and away makes them dangerous for you guys.

MYTAPPY
March 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM
'

If your Chatt predictions are correct, then Furman wins the conference cuz chatt beats ASU:D I know picky picky.

oops, you got me forgot to throw Nooga's loss to App in there
:doh:

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
oops, you got me forgot to throw Nooga's loss to App in there
:doh:

Nah, let's don't throw it in there:D

That is why after the first three I quit putting up the records. I knew I would do the same thing

However, I am working on my poll (does anybody remember when we vote) and within the next 15 to 20 days will predict with complete accuracy everyone's record:-)

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
How early in the season is the CCU game?
I agree I am not sold on the Chatt hype myself, but I think playing them early and away makes them dangerous for you guys.

Coastal is September 16th (2nd game) and UTC is the 23rd. Darnit, I used to remember what weeks we played our games in but all the Socon schedules are out of whack this year with us having a bye on the first week and not the last one.

MYTAPPY
March 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Nah, let's don't throw it in there:D

That is why after the first three I quit putting up the records. I knew I would do the same thing

However, I am working on my poll (does anybody remember when we vote) and within the next 15 to 20 days will predict with complete accuracy everyone's record:-)

There was a reason I wasn't a math major...xlolx

dungeonjoe
March 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I don't see Wofford at 3-8.

carney2
March 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Most folks seem to like ASU. Here's an outsider's opinion:

No Richie, no repeat.

Pick Furman.

catamount man
March 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
My early as hell predictions

1)Furman
2)Ga.Southern
3)W.Carolina (only a suspect O-Line worries me)
4)App.State
5)Citadel
6)Wofford
8)UTC
9)Elon

Of course, I'm probably gonna be wrong. Or maybe not?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

fuEMO
March 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
my travel schedule has allowed me some off time during this spring season. So I've taken in 3 scrimmages and 2 practice sessions of the Paladins.

OLFU… Have you seen the Paladins during the spring? Intensity is hardly lacking. The hitting has been fierce on both sides of the ball.

Bring in Pinella from The Citadel has been a great move. I really can't make an early take on the SoCon lets see how the rest of spring goes.

As far as Furman, I'm picking 9-2 or with a little luck 10-1. A loss in the SoCon and UNC. I think APP will have a huge target on their back, let them have it.

Furman has looked very strong in the spring, the defense took control early but in the last scrimmage Gray was running more option, etc… sorry guys I won't go into detail. The running game will be improved with Gray at the helm, he just has a different attitude than Ingle at running the ball. I like the way the Furman D has played in the spring. I'm surprised at the level of depth. FU might take it on the chin again at APP but this appears to be a more physical Furman team. So I look for APP to take it's first home conference loss of the season to the Dins.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
my travel schedule has allowed me some off time during this spring season. So I've taken in 3 scrimmages and 2 practice sessions of the Paladins.

OLFU… Have you seen the Paladins during the spring? Intensity is hardly lacking. The hitting has been fierce on both sides of the ball.

Bring in Pinella from The Citadel has been a great move. I really can't make an early take on the SoCon lets see how the rest of spring goes.

As far as Furman, I'm picking 9-2 or with a little luck 10-1. A loss in the SoCon and UNC. I think APP will have a huge target on their back, let them have it.

Furman has looked very strong in the spring, the defense took control early but in the last scrimmage Gray was running more option, etc… sorry guys I won't go into detail. The running game will be improved with Gray at the helm, he just has a different attitude than Ingle at running the ball. I like the way the Furman D has played in the spring. I'm surprised at the level of depth. FU might take it on the chin again at APP but this appears to be a more physical Furman team. So I look for APP to take it's first home conference loss of the season to the Dins.

You guys can beat UNC, and App St. can beat NC State. Don't count it as an automatic loss. It's not like Citadel versus Florida State. Just think of it as playing one of the top programs in IAA (maybe it's not even that tough).

jmuroller
March 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Agree w/ you chickenman. If Elon isn't good enough to be competitive in the Southern, Towson will crush them. I honestly think they will have a winning record this year.

fuEMO
March 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM
You guys can beat UNC, and App St. can beat NC State. Don't count it as an automatic loss. It's not like Citadel versus Florida State. Just think of it as playing one of the top programs in IAA (maybe it's not even that tough).

I think both games will be barn burners, I agree we both could win. I think Furman will be difficult to prepare for. I would expect Furman to run alot of slot formation with a runner like Gray. Someone please explain to me why we always bring that out against the big guys but very seldom against IAA teams.

I hope the Eagles get a shot to take on a IA soon. You guys gave UGA all they wanted.

youwouldno
March 29th, 2006, 02:02 AM
The SoCon is hard to predict but at this point Furman and App St are probably 1-2, not in any order. App and Furman lose star QBs and GSU has to change QBs after changing their offense. GSU is probably the hardest to predict... I think their biggest problem will actually be defense, which combined with the offensive changes might mean a tough start.

Outside the Big 3, no one team stands out to me. I don't think the Citadel has the talent offensively to compete for the league title. Wofford has a lot of question marks. UTC and WCU have the athleticism but haven't put it together yet. Elon will struggle.

So going back to the big picture, two big questions stand out. First, how big is the drop-off from Richie to Elder? I know Elder is good, but I think App will have a few more turnovers without Richie at the helm... in addition to the fact Elder lacks Williams' running ability (though Elder isn't slow). Heck, Elder could be the best QB in the SoCon and STILL the drop-off could be significant.

Second, how good will Furman's defense be? It improved over the course of last season but never was dominant. I think it will at least be above-average, which will be enough for Furman to compete for the league title. The talent is there, however, for the defense to be excellent... if that happens, 10-1 is a real possibility.

OL FU
March 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Answer to the question: No, I have not seen a spring practice.
I hope you are right, I certainly think we have the chance of being as good or better than last year mainly because I believe the D will be very strong. I guess my personality prefers caution:o :D

OL FU
March 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I don't think Furman has ever played I-A team with the players not looking to win. But when predicting, you can either be an optimistic partisan or a realist. I-AA usually does not beat I-A. :bawling:

MYTAPPY
March 29th, 2006, 08:07 AM
No doubt that furman and app are the preseason one and two(in my opinion). Hopefully Apps stud running back(Kevin Richardson) can carry most of the load where Elder won't have to do too much. Elder has a cannon though.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2006, 12:45 PM
How I see it.

1) ASU- Elder is far faster than Williams. Richardshon is back along with the core members of that defense. They will probably drop the game on the road in Statesboro

2) Furman- Until the Paladins show they can win in Boone, chalk it up as a loss. The 'Dins may have one of the biggest backfields in the nation along with a lot of beef up front. As long as Jerome Felton lines up at fullback, I like their chances to take the conference. I could see Furman losing to a tough as nails team from Jacksonville State, ASU, and UNC.

3) WCU- Catamounts had some potential last year. Having ASU and GSU at home will be a benefit. They will most likely drop the road game in Greenville. They embarrassed the Paladins last year...I don't see that happening twice.

4) GSU- Still possess the athletic talent. However, the man most likely calling the plays hasn't played football above the Class A level and hasn't suited up in a year and a half. Most schools, Notre Dame excluded, have a lot of growing pains when not only changing coaches but changing entire systems. They don't have the offensive line to hold out tough rushes. May be a long year in Statesboro, but their athletic ability will win them some close ones.

5) UTC- Won some clutch ones last year. Still don't posses the discipline on defense to break into the top of the conference.

6) Citadel- Gave Furman a run at home last year. Don't have the same kind of magic away from their Cadets. Will drop quite a few on the road. One year away, though...

7) Wofford- Ayers usually puts a good product on the field. I can see Wofford upsetting one of the top teams in the conference late in the season. They are also a bugaboo for the Eagles.

8) Elon- Getting better, but not that much better

OL FU
March 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
How I see it.

1) ASU- Elder is far faster than Williams. Richardshon is back along with the core members of that defense. They will probably drop the game on the road in Statesboro

2) Furman- Until the Paladins show they can win in Boone, chalk it up as a loss. The 'Dins may have one of the biggest backfields in the nation along with a lot of beef up front. As long as Jerome Felton lines up at fullback, I like their chances to take the conference. I could see Furman losing to a tough as nails team from Jacksonville State, ASU, and UNC.

3) WCU- Catamounts had some potential last year. Having ASU and GSU at home will be a benefit. They will most likely drop the road game in Greenville. They embarrassed the Paladins last year...I don't see that happening twice.

4) GSU- Still possess the athletic talent. However, the man most likely calling the plays hasn't played football above the Class A level and hasn't suited up in a year and a half. Most schools, Notre Dame excluded, have a lot of growing pains when not only changing coaches but changing entire systems. They don't have the offensive line to hold out tough rushes. May be a long year in Statesboro, but their athletic ability will win them some close ones.

5) UTC- Won some clutch ones last year. Still don't posses the discipline on defense to break into the top of the conference.

6) Citadel- Gave Furman a run at home last year. Don't have the same kind of magic away from their Cadets. Will drop quite a few on the road. One year away, though...

7) Wofford- Ayers usually puts a good product on the field. I can see Wofford upsetting one of the top teams in the conference late in the season. They are also a bugaboo for the Eagles.

8) Elon- Getting better, but not that much better

Don't know if you are an oldie that has returned or a newbie, but either way WELCOME:nod: :hurray:

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I don't think Furman has ever played I-A team with the players not looking to win. But when predicting, you can either be an optimistic partisan or a realist. I-AA usually does not beat I-A. :bawling:

I remember listening to the FU-Wyoming game in '01. You guys would have won by several touchdowns if you hadn't blown a few opportunities. I also remember you guys beating UNC 28-3 one time. Maybe IAs just play real hard when they feel like they haven't scored enough on their IAA opponent...the first halves of IAA-IA games usually consist of the IAA team giving the IA team a fit.

Anyways, I give FU and ASU about a 50-50 chance.

gophoenix
March 31st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Everyone always predict Elon last. Granted, we haven;t show any differently in football yet .... but after being predicted 3rd from the bottom and winning the North in Basketball and predicted last and finishing 2nd in soccer, I gladly welcome all the naysayers and will be sure to post as we prove everyone wrong.

OL FU
March 31st, 2006, 08:06 AM
Everyone always predict Elon last. Granted, we haven;t show any differently in football yet .... but after being predicted 3rd from the bottom and winning the North in Basketball and predicted last and finishing 2nd in soccer, I gladly welcome all the naysayers and will be sure to post as we prove everyone wrong.

This ain't basketball :smiley_wi

or futbol

youwouldno
March 31st, 2006, 10:20 AM
Football is a lot different from basketball. The North division in bball is so terrible that the preseason ranks were mostly based off the past season and program prestige, such as it is.

Elon does not have the personnel to even finish in the middle of the SoCon. I think Lembo will improve the program significantly but he can't do so without getting better players.

BULLDOG8180
March 31st, 2006, 10:27 AM
I agree that ASU, GSU, and FU will continue to be the teams to beat. WCU probably is as talented as anyone, but haven't quite come together.
I don't know much about UTC and Elon, Wofford will struggle. El Cid should be improved. The big question we have is who will run the offense.

gophoenix
March 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM
I never said we would be top 3. But I just love how everyone expects us to automatically fail in every sport except baseball, and so far, we've done very little failing in anything outside of football.

Lembo got us going in a good direction right now. Sounds like Either Pope will be starting QB (the one we were are screaming about to have start over Kye Hamilton was QB) or the new guy from Norfolk. It also sounds like we have a descent core on defense and in the offensive backfield.

Only problem is with both our defensive and offensive lines which were descimated by graduation and Paul Hamilton's lack of recruiting abilities.

We should be better this year than last. But we won't be great by any means. I expect the defense to be descent and the offense to be ok.

Where does that put us? I don't know. The Citadel should be better. UTC will be about the same (though they lost scholarships and players), Wofford will be about the same. Western should be better. So who knows.

MYTAPPY
March 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
gophoenix...I'm not saying that Elon sucks in all aspects of thier atheletics. But when it comes to football, you have a lot of work ahead. Not trying to bad mouth. I want the Phoenix to be competitive and they'll get there eventually. It will take some time though.
Chill out.....

OL FU
March 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
I never said we would be top 3. But I just love how everyone expects us to automatically fail in every sport except baseball, and so far, we've done very little failing in anything outside of football.

Lembo got us going in a good direction right now. Sounds like Either Pope will be starting QB (the one we were are screaming about to have start over Kye Hamilton was QB) or the new guy from Norfolk. It also sounds like we have a descent core on defense and in the offensive backfield.

Only problem is with both our defensive and offensive lines which were descimated by graduation and Paul Hamilton's lack of recruiting abilities.

We should be better this year than last. But we won't be great by any means. I expect the defense to be descent and the offense to be ok.

Where does that put us? I don't know. The Citadel should be better. UTC will be about the same (though they lost scholarships and players), Wofford will be about the same. Western should be better. So who knows.

I think most of us that are reasonable are pulling for Elon to move up the ladder and I think the new coach will move in that direction. But it is certainly not a short term fix.

On the other hand, I think Wofford will be better than last year. Not sure where they will finish, but Kevious is back and they had a young team last year. Chatt will be better also, but I don't think they are in the top four. and as said before, their schedule works against them.

Also, any thing can happen on any saturday. I remember an extraordinarily good 2004 Paladin team struggling to win at Elon.

MYTAPPY
March 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think most of us that are reasonable are pulling for Elon to move up the ladder and I think the new coach will move in that direction. But it is certainly not a short term fix.

On the other hand, I think Wofford will be better than last year. Not sure where they will finish, but Kevious is back and they had a young team last year. Chatt will be better also, but I don't think they are in the top four. and as said before, their schedule works against them.

Also, any thing can happen on any saturday. I remember an extraordinarily good 2004 Paladin team struggling to win at Elon.

Thats why they play the games....:nod:

WCU LawCat
March 31st, 2006, 05:04 PM
From what I understand about my Catamounts so far, there should not be much of a drop off on defense if any. Offense will be improved with new depth a QB and Senior Tailback Darius Fudge along with USC transfer Albert Ashcroft. Cats return every athletic receiver on the team. The key to the offense will be if the offensive line can come together. If so, a top three finish is LIKELY. If the O-Line struggles then I see 7-4 or 6-5 and 4th place.

asufan87
March 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Not intended as smack, but I never saw what was so great about Western's defense last year. They gave up two long, time killing drives to App (99 & 98 yards) after having us backed up against our own goal line. I sure hope there's no drop off this year (ok, maybe a little smack in there):nod:

nlwwln
March 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
asu (primed for repeat)
ga south (new scheme,players thrive)
furman (always a contendor)
western (westerns back with fury)
chatty (great athletes, thats about it)
wofford (could be strong 6-4)
citadel (not quite yet)
elon ...

AppMan
March 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM
The only regular season loss for ASU is NC State. We'll play 'em tough, but the depth will prove to be a killer in the hot August sun of Carter Finley Stadium. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see us sneeking up on those guys. A new staff & system at GSU combined with a lot of returning skill and some outstanding replacements will let the Apps get that monkey off their back in Statesboro. Look for the Apps to be 10-1 and rolling into the playoffs as another #1 seed, and we all know what that means.