PDA

View Full Version : Appy State Title on Display

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Smart move by Appy State! Put the national championship on display in the student union/student center so that more students realize the accomplishments of their team and their school. I know how all these schools put their trophies in their athletic department offices, but how many schools actually have a lot of non-athlete traffic in their AD offices? Nice move Appy St!

National title display unveiled to public
Appalachian students look at the football display case Monday.
by CHRIS ZALUSKI
Sports Editor

The memory of Appalachian State football’s Division I-AA National Championship is now visible for all to see.

The athletic department, in conjunction with the Chancellor’s Office and the Office of Student Programs, unveiled the national championship display Monday afternoon in the International Hallway of Plemmons Student Union.

A crowd of over 60 onlookers gathered for the unveiling of the display.

Head coach Jerry Moore, national champions Richie Williams and Jason Hunter, Athletic Director Charlie Cobb and Chancellor Kenneth Peacock were all on-hand during the short ceremony.

“This is something we can all be truly proud of,” Peacock said.

http://www.theapp.appstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1044

GannonFan
March 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Who keeps them in the offices? At UD, all the national titles (from other sports as well) are in public cases either in the Fieldhouse Lobby or the Bob (basketball arena/football lockers/offices) lobby - all able to be seen by whomever. Although the student union thing is an interesting idea.

AppGuy04
March 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
In a town like Boone, everyone knows what the team accomplished, but not everyone has seen the trophy.

MYTAPPY
March 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
When I was in school at App I never once set foot in the fieldhouse and didn't frequent that many basketball games. So the Union was a good choice.

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Who keeps them in the offices? At UD, all the national titles (from other sports as well) are in public cases either in the Fieldhouse Lobby or the Bob (basketball arena/football lockers/offices) lobby - all able to be seen by whomever. Although the student union thing is an interesting idea.

At Sam, all the trophies are in the athletic department offices or in the Bearkat Lounge, which is in the athletics office fieldhouse but does not get too much "traffic". They are on display, just not somewhere as visible.

Though, must admit, Sam has done a great job at getting championship banners all over the place at all of our facilities...

ButlerGSU
March 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM
http://athletics.georgiasouthern.edu/parrish2.jpg

The six at GSU are in the Football building.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
When I was in school at App I never once set foot in the fieldhouse and didn't frequent that many basketball games. So the Union was a good choice.

you guys are lucky you don't have to compete with a UGA for the state's attention. You are the best football team in the state of north carolina, usually.

DuckDuckGriz
March 28th, 2006, 07:10 PM
The Griz (& Cats) are such a big deal in the state, that when Montana won the national championship in 2001 -- the trophy traveled around the state for about six or seven months.

The national titles, conference titles, mascot stuff, etc is all in on display in the Grizzly Sports Hall of Fame (which is also interactive), located in Dahlberg Arena.

Here is a picture of part of it. It's definetly worth seeing, there are displays for all sports and the football one is great.
http://www2.umt.edu/comm/f03/images/scenicroute.jpg

bobcatfan06
March 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
The Griz (& Cats) are such a big deal in the state, that when Montana won the national championship in 2001 -- the trophy traveled around the state for about six or seven months.

The national titles, conference titles, mascot stuff, etc is all in on display in the Grizzly Sports Hall of Fame (which is also interactive), located in Dahlberg Arena.

Here is a picture of part of it. It's definetly worth seeing, there are displays for all sports and the football one is great.
http://www2.umt.edu/comm/f03/images/scenicroute.jpg

That is awesome. Damn, Montana has their **** together. :hurray:

HiHiYikas
March 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I can't wait to see it.

I like the fact that NCAA championship trophies all look the same, so our '05 football trophy looks just like N. Carolina's '05 basketball trophy, which looks just like Virginia Union's D-II basketball trophy.

I have heard our showing of the Old Mountain Jug tends to be low-key or not-at-all, since having it 8 out of 9 years (not sure of the actual %-age) diminishes its status a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing it on display, too.

crunifan
March 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Another perk of a domed stadium. UNI has all of it's trophies from all of it's sports in trophy cases throughout the UNI-Dome.

MR. CHICKEN
March 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
APPALACHIAN STATE...YA'LL PUT DUH " BLING" IN DUH STUDENT UNION?.....BETTERAH WIRE DAT THING UP...LIKE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE....B/4....SOME ENGINEERIN' PSYCHO...WHO'S EGG SURVIVED DUH DROP...TAKES UH SHINE....&....HOLDS IT FO' RANSOM.......OR TRIES TA SELL IT TA SOME.....WESTERN CAROLINA COLLECTOR!........O' MAN...HART TA HART...WOULD HAVE UH FIELD DAY WHIFF.....DUH MOUSEKETEERS!.......:eek:.....AWK!

GET SECURITY ON IT....NOW!

Tod
March 29th, 2006, 10:03 PM
http://www.whatsdougupto.com/spowers/images/stef267.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
March 29th, 2006, 10:07 PM
WHICH ONE IS HART?.......:confused:........AWK!