PDA

View Full Version : Top HBCU Players of the Modern Era

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hard to debate the top two - Walter Payton and Jerry Rice.

Is Michael Strahan too high on the list? He had a helluva NFL career and did do tons of damage while at Texas Southern on opposing team's QBs, but #4?

The NFL has taken the locks off the doors and several players from historically black colleges and universities have signed free agent contracts with teams. This got us thinking again. Who are the top 25 players to come out of historically black colleges and universities?

The first thing we realize was the pool was too big. Lets limited it to the modern era. The modern era will be defined as players that attended a HBCU beginning in 1970 or later.

HBCUSportsOnline.com evaluated the players college and professional careers. Were they named to their college all-conference team and did they earn All-American status? Which round of the NFL draft were they taken in and what NFL accolades did they earn; Pro Bowl, All-Pro and Hall of Fame. We consulted sports writers and sports information directors from around the country.

http://hbcusportsonline.com/media/2011/08/top-25-black-college-football-players-of-the-modern-era/

Sly Fox
August 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM
It is too bad they set 1970 as the marker. Elvin Bethea gradated in 1968 and should have been high on that list.

813Jag
August 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I was blessed to see some of these guys play in college. I remember the night John Taylor and DSU came into Mumford, they really put on a show. Strahan was nice, but TSU had this guy Alberto White, he destroyed Southern. I wonder what happened to him.

dgtw
August 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
It is too bad they set 1970 as the marker. Elvin Bethea gradated in 1968 and should have been high on that list.

I guess they picked 1970 because that was the year segregation ended at southern football teams.