PDA

View Full Version : SHSU: Ball Carrier Wanted

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM
SHSU lost it's top two RBs from last year. You had the power running back of Jason Godfrey and then the flashy Stevie Smith who was not only a great RB, but a solid special teams player when he got to return the ball. The Kats need a new ball-carrier to take the load off of the QBs and help open the passing lanes.

Looks like JUCO transfer Andrew Audelin who saw a little PT as a junior for the Kats last year is the favorite for some time, but keep an eye on Desmond Mays. ShowingBlitz had him as one of the top I-AA RB recruits in the nation a year ago and there's been a lot of praise for the back from Normangee, Texas, a small town a bit north of Huntsville...

Kats focused on finding a ball carrier

Audelin hopes to do his part in spring drills
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

He’s one of the smallest guys on the field, but as Sam Houston State looks forward to next football season, he has a big responsibility to fill.

With the departure of Stevie Smith and Jason Godfrey to graduation, Andrew Audelin is the only running back on the Bearkat roster that has carried the ball in a college game.

Last season, Audelin saw limited action as the third-string running back, gaining 155 yards and scoring three touchdowns. And although all of that came in a 77-7 thrashing of Bacone College in the season opener, it was that type of performance the SHSU coaching staff is hoping for next season.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_086235833.html?keyword=topstory

McNeese75
March 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I did not realize Smith was gone. For some reason I thought he was an underclassman last year.

exbearkat
March 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I did not realize Smith was gone. For some reason I thought he was an underclassman last year.
Stevie's eligibility did seem to FLY by now that I think about it. Well, I guess part of the reason is that he never redshirted, having played four straight years ('02-'05).

He'll certainly be missed - that's for certain. :nod:

McNeese75
March 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Stevie's eligibility did seem to FLY by now that I think about it. Well, I guess part of the reason is that he never redshirted, having played four straight years ('02-'05).

We really feel your loss ;) :D

MACHIAVELLI
March 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Last season, Audelin saw limited action as the third-string running back, gaining 155 yards and scoring three touchdowns. And although all of that came in a 77-7 thrashing of Bacone College in the season opener, it was that type of performance the SHSU coaching staff is hoping for next season.

Terrorist "you got some splanin to do"

blackfordpu
March 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM

He will be missed but with the guys we have coming in I think we will be ok. Auldin showed some speed last season and if Mays is as good as he is said to be we will be golden, if the line can hold up.

exbearkat
March 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM
He will be missed but with the guys we have coming in I think we will be ok. Auldin showed some speed last season and if Mays is as good as he is said to be we will be golden, if the line can hold up.
I just haven't had a good enough look at Audelin yet in order to get a true feel for his speed and overall ability. I hope you're right about him though!

Also, don't discount Courtney Johnson just yet. I'm not sure of his current status, but if he ends up playing this Fall it could potentially be a HUGE boost to our running game.

kats89
March 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
What is up with CJ? Man he looked good last spring then he was gone. Medical problems?

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Terrorist "you got some splanin to do"

Played Bacone because we got in a scheduling bind and we went to 30 other schools who turned us down. Granted Bacone is no Concordia or Paul Quinn (the whipping boys of the SWAC), but the Kats did not run up the score like it seems.

As is noted, Audelin ran for all those yards. He was the third-string RB and he got quite a bit of PT. Kats went to all-run offense in 3rd quarter, running the ball up the middle and getting like 15, 20 yards each time. It was not a Eugene/Spears-like offense...

MACHIAVELLI
March 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Played Bacone because we got in a scheduling bind and we went to 30 other schools who turned us down. Granted Bacone is no Concordia or Paul Quinn (the whipping boys of the SWAC), but the Kats did not run up the score like it seems.

As is noted, Audelin ran for all those yards. He was the third-string RB and he got quite a bit of PT. Kats went to all-run offense in 3rd quarter, running the ball up the middle and getting like 15, 20 yards each time. It was not a Eugene/Spears-like offense...

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx suuuuuure xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx riiiiiiight

TexasTerror
March 31st, 2006, 07:19 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx suuuuuure xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx riiiiiiight

You can ask any fan there. Kats ran the ball left, ran the ball right, ran the ball up the middle for nearly two quarters. Heck, we were running the Texans offense! Sorry, we're not Grambling...

Andrew Audelin ran 20 times for 144 yards. He came in the second half. That's 20 offensive plays where he took the rock and ran. Kats on the night had 47 rushing plays to just 23 passing plays (and this is a pass-oriented offense or at the very least, balance offense).

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/SHSUFB01.HTM

In comparison, in Grambling's 82-7 win...Grambling had 37 pass plays and 28 rushing plays. You want to talk about running up the score? Heck, Eugene was in the game and throwing a TD pass in the 4th quarter! Kats were already on the backups by the third!

http://swac.org/05-06/football/stats/gsu1112.htm

MACHIAVELLI
March 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM
You can ask any fan there. Kats ran the ball left, ran the ball right, ran the ball up the middle for nearly two quarters. Heck, we were running the Texans offense! Sorry, we're not Grambling...

Andrew Audelin ran 20 times for 144 yards. He came in the second half. That's 20 offensive plays where he took the rock and ran. Kats on the night had 47 rushing plays to just 23 passing plays (and this is a pass-oriented offense or at the very least, balance offense).

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/SHSUFB01.HTM

In comparison, in Grambling's 82-7 win...Grambling had 37 pass plays and 28 rushing plays. You want to talk about running up the score? Heck, Eugene was in the game and throwing a TD pass in the 4th quarter! Kats were already on the backups by the third!

See this is what I am talking about. Your hatred has blinded you even to facts that available for all to see. What....did you not think that people would follow the link to see? Dude...SEEK HELP
Bruce Eugene did not throw a TD in the 4th Quarter against Concordia.
Proof.......

You think 37 passes is high for Grambling ? :lmao: try 38, 41, 44, 45, 47, 49, 51. 37 pass attempts vs. Concordia was the 4th lowest of the season. Spin that.

TexasTerror
March 31st, 2006, 12:55 PM
See this is what I am talking about. Your hatred has blinded you even to facts that available for all to see. What....did you not think that people would follow the link to see? Dude...SEEK HELP
Bruce Eugene did not throw a TD in the 4th Quarter against Concordia.
Proof.......

Oops! I made a simple mistake. I guess that makes me racist, eh? Atleast the remark about Grambling still doing overwhelming amount of passing stands. You going to back that up? Or are you going to show your hate for PWCs?

So I got the QB mixed up, but Grambling was still throwing the ball into the 4th quarter!

4th 14:54 GSU - LOGAN,Brandon 3 yd pass from KERLEGAN,Larry (MANUEL,Tim kick)

MACHIAVELLI
March 31st, 2006, 01:27 PM
Oops! I made a simple mistake. I guess that makes me racist, eh? Atleast the remark about Grambling still doing overwhelming amount of passing stands. You going to back that up? Or are you going to show your hate for PWCs?

So I got the QB mixed up, but Grambling was still throwing the ball into the 4th quarter!

4th 14:54 GSU - LOGAN,Brandon 3 yd pass from KERLEGAN,Larry (MANUEL,Tim kick)

Ok Terrorist...
A simple mistake. That was the basis of your argument. See I posted the amount of times that Grambling attempted throws all season and it is proven that the Concordia game was the 4th lowest in pass attempts all year. If we were trying to run the score up on Concordia we would pass more than 37 times.

By the way...Grambling threw the ball 1/one/uno time in the 4th quarter in that game. FYI: Coach Spears asked the Concordia coach if he wanted to continue to run the clock for the rest of the game.