PDA

View Full Version : End of the #37 Tradition at the University of Montana?

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Rumor floating around that the current HC has decided to get rid of the #37 tradition at UM or change it so HE picks the player.........not the current #37 handing it down to the player of his choice like has been done for the last 20+ years.

We created a Facebook - SAVE 37 group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/122694741160874/

Join and let Jim O'Day know that you dont like the idea of this stopping............if the rumor is true. If it isnt true I am sure that somebody will post there that its wrong and tell us to shut up............xthumbsupx

http://cache.gifts.com/photos/opd/V/R/4/P/VR4PDUVYZQL4W5X4LT7M.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
August 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Pflugrad can't be doing this. This would be one of the stupidest, unnecessary PR nightmares of ending a proud tradition I've witnessed. If he were that dumb I'd want him gone after this season no matter how well he does. I would love another NC but I seriously don't want someone running the team that ain't one of us on a certain guttural level.

This just can't be true...please let it be not true.

dgtw
August 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
What is the #37 tradition?

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM
The #37 is handed down to a player from another player.

The only stipulations are the kid has to be born in Montana, and exemplify, integrity and hard work. The player that hands the jersey down is usually a senior and he picks an underclassman that basically works his *** off and deserves the honor. The player can be on offense or defense.

K Paulson started this:

1- Kraig Paulson 1983-86
2- Tim Hauck 1987-89
3- Todd Ericson, 1990-93
4- Jason Crebo, 1994-97
5- Andy Petek, 1997-2000
6- Ciche Pitcher, 2001-03
7- Loren Utterback, 2004-07
8- Carson Bender 2008-10
9- 2011????

crossfire07
August 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Nothing worst than having someone come in and want to mess with a long standing tradition. We should all invade that Facebook page and support The Griz.
I did. Who's next?

bojeta
August 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
God I hate this!!! Reminds me of the administrator they hired at the school I teach at. She comes from one district and unilaterally decides we're going to switch our rivalry to the school she came from!!! So we drop the rivalry that has been in effect for OVER 40 YEARS!!! Pinhead!!!!

Willie
August 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
A few of us spoke to Breske and Pflu after the first game last season about this. I went to high school with Bender and have known for months who is getting it this season. The tradition is not over.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
So you are saying Bender is kind of playing people then because he sure as hell didnt act like what you are saying is the case. His words not just rumor.

Purple7
August 12th, 2011, 12:17 AM
That's a nice tradition! I hope you save it.

Skjellyfetti
August 12th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Plufgruard already decided to end Montana's longstanding tradition of postseason play. Now this?! ;)

Tod
August 12th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Plufgruard already decided to end Montana's longstanding tradition of postseason play. Now this?! ;)

Why you son of a...;)

appfan2008
August 12th, 2011, 07:00 AM
That is a pretty cool tradition and idea... any coach that wrecks tradition doesnt belong (rich rod at michigan)... I hope this doesnt happen for you guys...

straightshooter
August 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM
You know...Georgia Southern had a coach in 2006 who started doing away with long standing traditions too, and FCS followers know how that season turned out!

THE HERD
August 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Any coach that knows his head from his *** knows you just don't mess with tradition........especially at a school like Montana, which has an a$$ load of it. NDSU has a lot of little traditions like that and if somebody tried messing with them things would get ugly real fast! You certainly don't mess with it if your only a second year coach! Hopefully its not true.....you have my support.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 12th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Nothing worst than having someone come in and want to mess with a long standing tradition. We should all invade that Facebook page and support The Griz.
I did. Who's next?

Beautiful my friend. This is what I've been advocating for a long time. Champsub and AGS have a whole lot of fans and if we were to move as a group instead of just griping about things we might be able to make a dent on some of this stuff. I love the attitude my friend.

When the GSU fans put up a link a few months back to do a statue for Erk I and a few other of my Griz pals went and put some money on that tribute to an FCS ICON. I'm sure a lot of other fans from other schools did the same.

NDSUFREAK
August 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM
What is the significance of #37? Why that number and not another number? 37th State?

Great tradition...I will join the group as soon as I can get to a computer that isn't at work with facebook blocked!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Here's some background and other info.

http://ravallirepublic.com/college/griz/article_ff0429e4-2d15-58d5-9f20-9db77484ba44.html

In case anyone still cares.

crossfire07
August 30th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I hate to see that tradition die. I actually hate to see any good tradition die.

Grizzaholic
August 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I hate to see that tradition die. I actually hate to see any good tradition die.

It did not die. There will be someone suited up in #37 come Saturday.

DG Cowboy
August 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
#37 is one of the great traditions of all college football. Why kill tradition? Why not embrace it when a new guy takes over and build on it?

AGS said I had a birthday this month and I am now a tradition. Traditions are good.

ATX_EWUGrad
September 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
The honor of #37 is going to FS Ryan Fetherston. You can read more about it at this link.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2011/09/02/fetherston-to-wear-no-37?blog=2

veinup
September 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM

this hurt. :(.

and good luck to mr. fetherston this season.

Grizo406
September 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Great kid! He saw me at a Griz practice wearing an Appalachian State t-shirt, and gave me a bunch of **** for it! Saw him a few weeks later at the Great Griz Encounter...he smiled, and said, "I remember you...I was just givin' you a hard time!"

In person, he looks a whole lot bigger than 6' 4" & 235lbs, and looks exactly like Jesus!!

He'll do the number proud!xnodxxnodxxnodx