PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Confirms North Carolina Central for Div 1 Membership

superman7515
August 11th, 2011, 04:06 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL … NCCU NOW ACTIVE NCAA DIVISION I MEMBER (http://www.nccueaglepride.com/news/2011/8/11/ATHL_0811113820.aspx?path=athletics)

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – At 12:31 p.m. on Thursday (Aug. 11), North Carolina Central University received a letter from the NCAA confirming the university’s active membership in Division I athletics.

The five-year reclassification process moving from Division II athletics competition to Division I (Football Championship Subdivision) is now over, and NCCU is eligible to participate in post-season championships starting this fall.

"Gaining full membership to NCAA Division I has been our goal for several years now and I am excited and delighted to see it come to pass," said NCCU Chancellor Charlie Nelms. "I appreciate what a tremendous effort this was for Athletic Director Ingrid Wicker-McCree and her entire team, and I thank and congratulate them for the superb job they did. The Eagles have arrived!"

In Thursday’s letter to Nelms, Stephen Mallonee, the NCAA’s Managing Director of Academic and Membership Affairs/Division I Governance Liaison, wrote, “It is my pleasure to inform you that the NCAA Division I Board of Directors approved the recommendation from the NCAA Division I Administration Cabinet to elect North Carolina Central University to Division I active membership effective September 1 (or the beginning of the 2011-12 academic year if earlier than September 1).” ....

aceinthehole
August 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Congrats to them.

TribeAdvocate
August 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Congratulations to Central!

The Cats
August 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Congrats to NCCU !!!!!

HighCountry
August 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Their team may not do much on the field but DAMN, do they have one hell of a band.

Tuscon
August 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Their team may not do much on the field but DAMN, do they have one hell of a band.

For serious, probably my favorite halftime show of the 2010 season.

49RFootballNow
August 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Congrats Central! Glad this game will count as DI for us now.

DFW HOYA
August 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Division I schools in Carolina:

UNC
Duke
State
Wake
ECU
App State
Elon
Western
High Point
UNC-Greensboro
UNC-Asheville
UNC-Wilmington
Charlotte
Davidson
Campbell
Gardner-Webb
A&T
NC Central

(Hope I didn't miss anyone...)

Mountaineer
August 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
(Hope I didn't miss anyone...)

Nope.

Fourteen Division I football programs with UNCC in 2013. Who says NC ain't a football state?! xtroublex

xlolx

WileECoyote06
August 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you all!! It's been a long time coming! Whew. . and I picked up my season tickets today! TIME TO TAILGATE!

asumike83
August 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Thank you all!! It's been a long time coming! Whew. . and I picked up my season tickets today! TIME TO TAILGATE!

Are y'all playing a full MEAC schedule this year or independent?

Mountaineer
August 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Best of luck to you guys. xthumbsupx Classy group of fans the past couple years in Boone.

superman7515
August 11th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Are y'all playing a full MEAC schedule this year or independent?

Full MEAC schedule for NCCU:
Rutgers
Central State
Elon
Savannah State
South Carolina State
Morgan State
Hampton
Bethune-Cookman
Delaware State
Florida A&M
North Carolina A&T