PDA

View Full Version : 2006 NCAA Rules and Editorial Changes

arreferee
March 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM
You can see what the NCAA Rules committee has decided to change this year at the following link. Many of the changes are based around timing. In a few odd circumstances, 1 rules change could have a major affect and will cause coaches to be better time managers.

2006 NCAA Rules changes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0)

I-AA Fan
March 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the good post. I have been looking at those as well. I have some likes and concerns:

1. I like the idea of changing the pocket ...it is really just adding the NFL rules to the college game. That is always the catalyst, as they want players that have played under the most similar a rules as possible. However, there is much more QB option in I-AA, I will be interested in seeing how the field crews interpret this on QB designed run plays.

2. I am also concerned on the kick-off/punt timing, if there is a turn-over. I would think it does not apply as there is a change in posession. If not, most teams will not be able to get their offenses back out quickly enough. Coaches will certainly not be able to make substitutions, if they do.

3. The shields rule was supposed to go into place last year, but they fought it. Great change. Eye contact is such a crucial part of the game. I would like to see them take it one step further and not allow the call of face-masking on players with 1/2 length shields or longer. After all, there is no exposed mask to grasp on most of those players.

March 27th, 2006, 11:01 PM
SLC Commish is on the rules committee... any influence?