PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's Patriot League Preview Video

FootballCEO
August 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_twFNCPITUY

Good Morning AGS!! Here's my Patriot League Preview!

Enjoy!

Em

crusader11
August 11th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Bucknell with the toughest schedule? Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

Ad Ryan O'Neil as the offensive MVP? Eachus, Lum, Spadola, and even Taggart would have been better choices.

Sader87
August 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Wow...almost zero love for the Saders...good "film room motivation."

ramMan
August 11th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Fordham's Blake Wayne has been moved to wide receiver. Either Ryan Higgins or Griffin Murphy will start at quarterback. The decision to move Wayne was made last spring.

RichH2
August 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Some interesting gaffs in video but also some pretty astute hits. Butler is indeed best recruit overall. Kyle "few vowels would be nice" Pard qb recruit best qb in this class maetzold a bit behind him. Suggs a surprise, not that he isn't excellent, but that Gameplan caught it. Enjoyable nonetheless.

Remise
August 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Of course I may be a bit prejudiced here, but I was a bit surprised, after all the encomiums he gave Colgate, that he picked them to finish third. But that doesn't really matter, as only the results will make a difference, and most people think Colgate will finish second in the league, at best.

What I found a bit dismaying was the lack of research here. For starters, he is the only media person I have ever heard to pronounce Eachus's name as "Eekus." The fact that he didn't know how to pronounce it is not so annoying, as that nobody else corrected him.

The other thing I find dubious is that, of Colgate's weaknesses, by far the greatest concern -- I would think -- is the loss of a great quarterback, and the possible loss (due to ACL surgery) of his only experienced backup. Nobody knows, at this point, who will be the starting QB for 'Gate, and I would think that would be sort of an important thing to mention. And to have known.

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
The Bucknell toughest schedule part is just hilarious. Fordham is playing both UConn and Army. Lafayette has top 10 NDSU along with 3 of the 4 best Ivies. Holy Cross has UMass.

CFBfan
August 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM
The Bucknell toughest schedule part is just hilarious. Fordham is playing both UConn and Army. Lafayette has top 10 NDSU along with 3 of the 4 best Ivies. Holy Cross has UMass.

could he have meant that they have the "toughest" PL game schedule with successive games against the better teams in the league??

ursus arctos horribilis
August 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
could he have meant that they have the "toughest" PL game schedule with successive games against the better teams in the league??

That's what I got out of it. He specifically said the end of the season with all four road games against very good teams is pretty tough for a rebuilding team.

RichH2
August 12th, 2011, 06:55 AM
My take also was that he was referring to Bison's PL sched. Gameplan back when it 1st came out was the st to give any extensive coverage to PL schools. Only lasted a few yrs before we were excessed from the mag. Not near Steele for info but it was better than the rest. Some effort put in as evidenced by recruit rating. Pard pck for 2nd may be prescient if they build an OL

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I think that the Gameplan video is well done and is properly thought out. In terms of the schedules, etc., Gameplan simply is talking about the challenge for the PL championship, not the OOC games. Obviously Fordham has the toughest schedule overall. Anybody can see that.

Lots of props to the Hoyas there, not so much for HC and the Pards (although Gameplan sees something that some of us don't in Ryan O'Neil and his notorious "fair catch" style lofting screens). The video mentions top Lafayette QB recruit Kyle Ohradzansky. Kyle enrolled at Lafayette in the spring and participated in spring practices, but he suffered a hip injury in the spring that required surgery. He will not be available this season. That means that the Pards will rely on O'Neil, then the inconsistent but strong-armed Andrew Shoop, and then and a Floridian clipboard holder whom we refer to affectionately as, "The Surfer Dude."

Most obviously the Gameplan piece slobbers all over the Chicken-Squawking Bethlehem Brown Panties, who are beginning to take on kind of a Jerry Jones-like megalomania. Gameplan seems to love Colgate's Nate Eachus, too - but there's an actual reason for that.

The order of finish? Lehigh and Colgate should be interchangeable at 1-2, Holy Cross and Lafayette interchangeable at 3-4, and Georgetown and Bucknell will be in either of the 4-5 spots. I also think that Fordham will win all of its PL games and will be the de facto PL champion.

DFW HOYA
August 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM
The order of finish? Lehigh and Colgate should be interchangeable at 1-2, Holy Cross and Lafayette interchangeable at 3-4, and Georgetown and Bucknell will be in either of the 4-5 spots. I also think that Fordham will win all of its PL games and will be the de facto PL champion.

Fordham is reported at 32 scholarships entering 2011, or a little less than an NEC team. Would a team like Wagner or Central Connecticut sweep the PL? Probably not.

Now, another question--suppose Fordham does run the table, and are stomping on teams by four and five touchdown margins. Does that then make scholarships more attractive to the presidents, or to they simply want to get rid of Fordham sooner rather than later?

danefan
August 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Fordham is reported at 32 scholarships entering 2011, or a little less than an NEC team. Would a team like Wagner or Central Connecticut sweep the PL? Probably not.

Wagner - nope? But CCSU? I'd certainly take CCSU over everyone in the PL on a weekly basis. Tough to run the conference in any league though.

But I'd also take CCSU, Albany, and Bryant over Fordham...by two scores;)...so your point still stands.

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Now, another question--suppose Fordham does run the table, and are stomping on teams by four and five touchdown margins. Does that then make scholarships more attractive to the presidents, or to they simply want to get rid of Fordham sooner rather than later?

Out the door . . . until the presidents realize 3-5 years down the road that that football scholarships are "an essential component of the competitive milieu" in Division I athletics and they congratulate themselves for "taking the bold, visionary first step" towards "leadership in college affordability for all highly-qualified applicants," regardless of their circumstances.

Or something like that.

LUHawker
August 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Wagner - nope? But CCSU? I'd certainly take CCSU over everyone in the PL on a weekly basis. Tough to run the conference in any league though.

But I'd also take CCSU, Albany, and Bryant over Fordham...by two scores;)...so your point still stands.

Seriously? CCSU and Albany would be 3-3 in the PL at best. Bryant, 2-4. This is not a shot at the NEC, but rather your inflated view of these teams.

Lafalumni29
August 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I love the coverage!! It gives us something else to argue over for the next 3 weeks.

Bucknell with the hardest schedule?? Not even close, I don't care how you look at it.

Orhadzandsky? He looks like a great player but I recall Frank alluding to the Zweizig kid being a FBS player who they didn't think would even be available.

O'Neil as MVP? That might be a stretch, lol. I think he will be much improved this year, but Eachus is heads and shoulders above any player int he PL.

TheValleyRaider
August 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Seriously? CCSU and Albany would be 3-3 in the PL at best. Bryant, 2-4. This is not a shot at the NEC, but rather your inflated view of these teams.

I'm not seeing it. Albany and CCSU could both compete for the league's upper echelon. I don't think they'd win it, at least this year, but these programs are not slouches, they would easily avoid the basement

danefan
August 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Talk about an inflated view.....

I would have taken RMU over any PL team last year, including Lehigh.

Anybody have the NEC vs. PL results from last year handy? Should we compare some common opponents as well?

PL=NEC

Both have bad teams and both have pretty darn good and overlooked teams. There isn't a team in either that would dominate the other conference.

danefan
August 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM
BTW - thank god its football season again!

I was starting to go through NEC vs. PL withdraw.

RichH2
August 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Video is about who we have now. How do we get back to who would join PL?
sorry to read about Kyle O. , Bogie. He'll give you the next" best" qb next year. realize your present qb stoked his completion % w screens, he's still not that bad. If he gets some protection he should be more than OK.

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM

You realize CCSU is 2-0 vs the PL since 2005, beating Colagte and Lehigh (consistently 2 of the PL's top programs) on the road. Central are the back-to-back NEC champs and return an experienecd QB and talented backfield.

Last season RMU won the NEC AQ , inclduing wins over CCSU and top-25 Liberty. In a down year for Albany, they still shut-out Maine in Orono. And of course, the PL had a losing record vs. the NEC last season.

But how did you miss this ... Bryant (who finished tied for 4th in the NEC) just beat Fordham last season!!!!!!

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Talk about an inflated view.....

I would have taken RMU over any PL team last year, including Lehigh.

Anybody have the NEC vs. PL results from last year handy? Should we compare some common opponents as well?

PL=NEC

Both have bad teams and both have pretty darn good and overlooked teams. There isn't a team in either that would dominate the other conference.

Here's the resuts on the 2010 season :)

Update - The NEC finishes the season a combined 6-2 vs. the PL and Ivy.

The NEC lost the 2 games by a combined 3 points!

Vs. Patriot (4-1)
W, 44-30 Bryant vs. Fordham
W, 17-13 Duquesne vs. Bucknell
L, 29-30 Monmouth at Colgate
W, 22-16 Wagner at Georgetown
W, 33-20 Georgetown at Sacred Heart

Vs. Ivy (2-1)
W, 41-7 Wagner vs. Cornell
L, 19-21 Sacred Heart at Dartmouth
W, 23-20 Albany at Yale

Pard4Life
August 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Bucknell with the toughest schedule? Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

Ad Ryan O'Neil as the offensive MVP? Eachus, Lum, Spadola, and even Taggart would have been better choices.

Bucknell does have the toughest schedule... they have one real chance for a win.

O'Neil is offensive MVP... of Lafayette's first-team offense... that's about it...

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I love the coverage!! It gives us something else to argue over for the next 3 weeks.

Bucknell with the hardest schedule?? Not even close, I don't care how you look at it.

Orhadzandsky? He looks like a great player but I recall Frank alluding to the Zweizig kid being a FBS player who they didn't think would even be available.

O'Neil as MVP? That might be a stretch, lol. I think he will be much improved this year, but Eachus is heads and shoulders above any player int he PL.

Lafalumni29 - perceptive analysis! Please do chime in here more often. Those bile-arsed, brown-panted Bethlehem blowhards are beginning to think that they own the PL. It's important that they know that they're wrong . . . always wrong.

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Video is about who we have now. How do we get back to who would join PL?
sorry to read about Kyle O. , Bogie. He'll give you the next" best" qb next year. realize your present qb stoked his completion % w screens, he's still not that bad. If he gets some protection he should be more than OK.

RichH2 - Lehigh's secondary has the opportunity to rip O'Neil to shreds this year because Lehigh now has knowledge of O'Neil's tendencies, no question. O'Neil is accurate, at least in part, because the current corps of Lafayette receivers probably is the PL's best (despite what others might think) largely because they run their routes so precisely. But O'Neil seems to think that his receivers' skill gives him the luxury of floating ten yard screens aplomb. Not so. Lehigh's WLB and defensive backs will be keyed in on O'Neil's tendencies, for sure. Lehigh will win those matchups 8 times out of ten, I think.

Lehigh will kill O'Neil on passes of less than 8-12 yards. Lafayette needs MUCH better offensive line, TE and backfield/WR blocking in order to maintain space offensively for our guys, and O'Neil has to learn how to fire to his guys low and outside with zip and with confidence. I'm not sure that Ryan and his favorite guys have have improved their game enough to do that, but we'll see.

That said, I'm looking forward to how a now-healthy Pard RB crew will perform. When they're on the field I think that the Lafayette backfield will be able to gain 12-15 yards or more on any given set against any PL defense, including Lehigh's. We'll know a lot more after 2-3 games. That is Lehigh's greatest challenge against Lafayette and the rest of the league, IMHO.

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM
RichH2 - Lehigh's secondary has the opportunity to rip O'Neil to shreds this year because Lehigh now has knowledge of O'Neil's tendencies, no question. O'Neil is accurate, at least in part, because the current corps of Lafayette receivers probably is the PL's best (despite what others might think) largely because they run their routes so precisely. But O'Neil seems to think that his receivers' skill gives him the luxury of floating ten yard screens aplomb. Not so. Lehigh's WLB and defensive backs will be keyed in on O'Neil's tendencies, for sure. Lehigh will win those matchups 8 times out of ten, I think.

Lehigh will kill O'Neil on passes of less than 8-12 yards. Lafayette needs MUCH better offensive line, TE and backfield/WR blocking in order to maintain space offensively for our guys, and O'Neil has to learn how to fire to his guys low and outside with zip and with confidence. I'm not sure that Ryan and his favorite guys have have improved their game enough to do that, but we'll see.

That said, I'm looking forward to how a now-healthy Pard RB crew will perform. When they're on the field I think that the Lafayette backfield will be able to gain 12-15 yards or more on any given set against any PL defense, including Lehigh's. We'll know a lot more after 2-3 games. That is Lehigh's greatest challenge against Lafayette and the rest of the league, IMHO.

Jerome Rudolph is a difference maker. That kid is incredible with screens-- perhaps the best in the PL since Ron Jean. Mputu sat out spring ball to focus on the books. We need him to have a big year and I hope he is up to the challlenge. I don't see our OL being a strength this year, but they will be better than last year. With a decent line O'Neill has enough weapons for the Pards to have a potent offense this year.

It is however all about the D. In quite a few games last year the offense performed well enough to win, but the D got beat up. I am excited about the talent at LB and DB, but a little worried about our rather small DL. Basil needs to be a beast and get pressure on the QB. We had very little pressure from the DL last year.

LUHawker
August 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
You realize CCSU is 2-0 vs the PL since 2005, beating Colagte and Lehigh (consistently 2 of the PL's top programs) on the road. Central are the back-to-back NEC champs and return an experienecd QB and talented backfield.

Last season RMU won the NEC AQ , inclduing wins over CCSU and top-25 Liberty. In a down year for Albany, they still shut-out Maine in Orono. And of course, the PL had a losing record vs. the NEC last season.

But how did you miss this ... Bryant (who finished tied for 4th in the NEC) just beat Fordham last season!!!!!!

Are we talking about this season or last year or two years ago or 3-4 years ago. Oh, my bad, I thought we were discussing THIS season. No one, including me, said CCSU or Albany were bad teams - not at all, but they still would only be 3-3 in the PL. Something like this:

Lehigh - likely losses by both teams
Colgate - likely losses by both teams
HC/Laf - Probably 1-1 against these two
Fordham - likely losses by both - although FU is inconsistent and could be 1-1
GTown- win
Bucknell - win

Pretty straightforward.

And really, RMU over Lehigh last year? VERY doubtful. I really was hoping that the Colonials would visit Bethlehem in the playoff last year, but it didn't pan out.

Look RMU was a good team, but Lehigh was better and I think Colgate would run all over them as well.

That Fordham loss to Bryant (no- I did not forget that) last year was a head-scratcher, but very doubtful that would play out again this year.

Plus please don't trot out wins over BU and Gtown as evidence of how the NEC > the PL.

All in all, the NEC and PL are very close in talent level, but the top of the PL is still a little better than the top of the NEC.

Yes, CCSU beat Lehigh in '08(?) but that was not a good LU team.

For DaneFan/Albany fan - I don't have the inflated self-perception of PL teams here. You guys came on the PL thread touting the NEC, not me doing the other way around.

I'd like to see what record you think CCSU and SUNY-Albany would have THIS year in the PL. I think 3-3 is very reasonable assessment and not a smack-down.

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=Franks Tanks;1654325]Mputu sat out spring ball to focus on the books./QUOTE]

And therein lies the gestalt of the Patriot League. Mr. Mputu, you are a credit to you college and to our humble little conference. Take the time you need to focus on your degree and to show your high school friends how it's done. we'll be here.

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Are we talking about this season or last year or two years ago or 3-4 years ago. Oh, my bad, I thought we were discussing THIS season. No one, including me, said CCSU or Albany were bad teams - not at all, but they still would only be 3-3 in the PL. Something like this:

GTown- win
Bucknell - win

Pretty straightforward.

And really, RMU over Lehigh last year? VERY doubtful. I really was hoping that the Colonials would visit Bethlehem in the playoff last year, but it didn't pan out.

Look RMU was a good team, but Lehigh was better and I think Colgate would run all over them as well.

That Fordham loss to Bryant (no- I did not forget that) last year was a head-scratcher, but very doubtful that would play out again this year.

Plus please don't trot out wins over BU and Gtown as evidence of how the NEC > the PL.

All in all, the NEC and PL are very close in talent level, but the top of the PL is still a little better than the top of the NEC.

For DaneFan/Albany fan - I don't have the inflated self-perception of PL teams here. You guys came on the PL thread touting the NEC, not me doing the other way around.

I'd like to see what record you think CCSU and SUNY-Albany would have THIS year in the PL. I think 3-3 is very reasonable assessment and not a smack-down.

We get Albany/Colgate and Monmouth/Lehigh in less than a month to settle this!

Although I think Monmouth is expected to struggle this year.

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Mputu sat out spring ball to focus on the books.

And therein lies the gestalt of the Patriot League. Mr. Mputu, you are a credit to your college and to our humble little conference. Take the time you need to focus on your degree and to show your high school friends how it's done. We'll be here.

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=Franks Tanks;1654325]Mputu sat out spring ball to focus on the books./QUOTE]

And therein lies the gestalt of the Patriot League. Mr. Mputu, you are a credit to you college and to our humble little conference. Take the time you need to focus on your degree and to show your high school friends how it's done. we'll be here.

Correct-- he was 100% eligible to participate in spring ball, but Frank made him sit because he expected more. The young man is eligible for fall, and hopefully on the right track.

danefan
August 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
We get Albany/Colgate and Monmouth/Lehigh in less than a month to settle this!

Although I think Monmouth is expected to struggle this year.

Agreed.

Monmouth is definitely down though.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm sitting here at this keyboard, just waiting, desperately WAITING, for carney to come on here and regale us as to how he does not agree with the interesting analysis of Football Gameplan. xlolx

Personally, I'm loving the fire this could potentially set under Chris Lum. O'Neil, at the helm of the 2-9 Leopards, the best QB the PL has to offer? Really?

crusader11
August 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Ranking the PL teams by the QB position:

Lehigh - Chris Lum. This is an absolute no-brainier and does not need an explanation.

Holy Cross - Ryan Taggart / Mark Tolzien / Kevin Watson. All three were used last year, and quite frankly are all better than O'Neil. Taggart definitely outplayed O'Neil head-to-head.

Lafayette - Ryan O'Neil. The kid definitely has some talent, but he is nothing more than an average quarterback. With Colgate and Fordham both having first year starters at QB, and Georgetown having two pretty mediocre signal callers in Darby and Kempf, O'Neil is probably the third best.

Georgetown - Scott Darby. He had some real nice performances last season (Yale, Lafayette, Holy Cross). While he shares some of the duties with Isaiah Kempf, Darby is still the leader of the offense, and not a bad one to boot.

It gets pretty dicey / ugly here...

Colgate - Steve Rizzo. A senior who has played before and understands Colgate's system. Will he be the starter though? I think he will.

Bucknell - Brandon Wesley. Of the remaining quarterbacks in the PL, Wesley has the most experience even though he was just a freshman last year. He started 10 games, but really was not overly impressive. His legs can save him at times, but his accuracy and arm remain suspect.

Fordham - You guess. Blake Wayne is transitioning from QB to WR and now the Rams will be searching for a new quarterback for their week one game.

That's at least how I see it.

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM

GTown- win
Bucknell - win

Pretty straightforward.

Yes, that is a very straightforward analysis. Your prediction of results, based soley on your gut feeling is enough to make everyone reading this know that CCSU and Albany would be 3-3 against a full PL schedule in 2011.

How do you come up with this stuff?
Monmouth's 1-pt loss to Colgate last season = 'Gate would have run all over RMU last year ... really?
CCSU's win vs Lehigh doesn't count = LU was a bad team that year ... of course!

I don't know why you think Lehigh is so good.
The FACT is Lehigh has lost its last 2 games vs NEC teams (CCSU in '09 and Albany in '06), so let's stop pretending this is a fluke occurance.
At least Colgate has won its last 3 games vs the NEC, since dropping games to CCSU and Monmouth back in '05 and '06.

Nostrodamus, you need to support your predictions with a little more substance than "the top of the PL is still a little better than the top of the NEC"

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Ranking the PL teams by the QB position:

Lehigh - Chris Lum. This is an absolute no-brainier and does not need an explanation.

Holy Cross - Ryan Taggart / Mark Tolzien / Kevin Watson. All three were used last year, and quite frankly are all better than O'Neil. Taggart definitely outplayed O'Neil head-to-head.
Lafayette - Ryan O'Neil. The kid definitely has some talent, but he is nothing more than an average quarterback. With Colgate and Fordham both having first year starters at QB, and Georgetown having two pretty mediocre signal callers in Darby and Kempf, O'Neil is probably the third best.

Georgetown - Scott Darby. He had some real nice performances last season (Yale, Lafayette, Holy Cross). While he shares some of the duties with Isaiah Kempf, Darby is still the leader of the offense, and not a bad one to boot.

It gets pretty dicey / ugly here...

Colgate - Steve Rizzo. A senior who has played before and understands Colgate's system. Will he be the starter though? I think he will.

Bucknell - Brandon Wesley. Of the remaining quarterbacks in the PL, Wesley has the most experience even though he was just a freshman last year. He started 10 games, but really was not overly impressive. His legs can save him at times, but his accuracy and arm remain suspect.

Fordham - You guess. Blake Wayne is transitioning from QB to WR and now the Rams will be searching for a new quarterback for their week one game.

That's at least how I see it.

No way do I think O'Neill is the best QB in the league, but he had some good performances last year. He also had a much better game than Taggart head to head last year.

Against Holy Cross O'Neill was 35-42 with 335 yards and 4 TD's. He also ran for 41 yards.

Taggart was 15-31 with 205 yards and 2 TD's. He also rushed for 41 yards.

The Leopards put up 513 yards that day and still lost due to the worst special teams performance in the history of modern football.

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/111310aaa.html

O'Neill and Taggart are very similar IMO. Only Lum can really be considered an experienced and steady QB.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, that is a very straightforward analysis. Your prediction of results, based soley on your gut feeling is enough to make everyone reading this that CCSU and Albany would be 3-3 against a full PL schedule in 2011.

Monmouth's 1-pt loss to Colagte last season = 'Gate would have run all over RMU last year ... really?

The FACT is Lehigh has lost its last 2 games vs NEC teams (CCSU in '09 and Albany in '06), so let's stop pretending this is a fluke occurance.
At least Colgate has won its last 3 games vs the NEC, since dropping games to CCSU and Monmouth back in '05 and '06.

Nostrodamus, you need to support your predictions with a little more substance than "the top of the PL is still a little better than the top of the NEC"

Lehigh was 4-7 in '09 when CCSU won and 6-5 in '06 when Albany beat them.

LUHawker
August 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, that is a very straightforward analysis. Your prediction of results, based soley on your gut feeling is enough to make everyone reading this that CCSU and Albany would be 3-3 against a full PL schedule in 2011.

Monmouth's 1-pt loss to Colagte last season = 'Gate would have run all over RMU last year ... really?

Please come back to the present from the past. Discussing THIS year. Why is that so difficult to comprehend. Really, Lehigh's losses in '06 (5 yrs ago and '09, when it was a 4-7 team) are your reasons to refute my comments? Get real.

You didn't give me your breakdown of how the CCSU and SUNY-A would fare against a PL sched. Since I insist on discussing this season, I cite the fact that LU has two preseason AA on the team, has a very solid returning starting QB, returns most of the O and D (secondary is big ?) and is experienced in the playoffs.

I also am not only citing Lehigh. I also think CU is very very good and that HC and LC are no worse than pushes with CCSU and SUNY-A.

Final piece of evidence of top of PL> top of NEC (and since this season hasn't started): How many playoff victories did NEC have in 2010?

Have at it.

aceinthehole
August 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Once again, a PL thread slides into something ugly.

1) DFW asked Bogus why he thinks Fordham would go undefeated in the PL, quite a remarkable turnaround for the Rams. Since FU has just 32 scholarships (and was 5-6 last year with losses to Bryant and a D-II team), he wanted to see where Bogus would have predicted Wagner or CCSU (who have similar scholarship levels to Fordham) in the PL standings for 2011.

All-in-all, a fair and interesting question for Bogus and all of us to consider.

2) LUHawker, somewhat irrationally suggested that CCSU (the NEC preseason favorite and 2x league champions), along with perennial NEC powerhouse Albany, would, at best, finish 3-3 in the PL.

3) DaneFan suggested that these NEC teams would be his favorite in almost very game vs the PL, but readily admits tha an undeafeated season would be a very tall task for any team and doubts that CCSU or Albany could pull that off.

4) Next, ValleyRaider suggests that that CCSU and Albany would have to be considered potential PL championship contendera, although his gut was this year looks very good for LU and 'Gate.

---
So a seemingly rational conversation once again devolves into something ugly when certain PL fans refuse to accept that the league top-to-bottom has shown poorly in recent non-conference play and the NEC conference has achived some notable wins.

No one from the NEC came into this thread to start a pissing contest, however it is clear that some PL fans seem to get riled up at even the suggestion that NEC teams might be considered 'favorites' in certain matchups, even if that suggestion is made by rational and respected PL fans.

crusader11
August 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
No way do I think O'Neill is the best QB in the league, but he had some good performances last year. He also had a much better game than Taggart head to head last year.

Against Holy Cross O'Neill was 35-42 with 335 yards and 4 TD's. He also ran for 41 yards.

Taggart was 15-31 with 205 yards and 2 TD's. He also rushed for 41 yards.

The Leopards put up 513 yards that day and still lost due to the worst special teams performance in the history of modern football.

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/111310aaa.html

O'Neill and Taggart are very similar IMO. Only Lum can really be considered an experienced and steady QB.

You're right FT. I totally forgot that O'Neil put up numbers like that.

van
August 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Lafalumni29 - perceptive analysis! Please do chime in here more often. Those bile-arsed, brown-panted Bethlehem blowhards are beginning to think that they own the PL. It's important that they know that they're wrong . . . always wrong.

Ah, now that's the Bogie I've come to love. Was afraid losing again last November had dried him up (you know what game I mean). But no, he's back for more abuse when we win 4 in a row.

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
You're right FT. I totally forgot that O'Neil put up numbers like that.

I was his best game of the year- he had some stinkers as well. Against Lehigh we couldn't run the ball a lick, and he did a respectable job against under pressure againt a tough D.

Taggart and O'Neill are pretty similar. Both can have some flashes of really good play, but neither is star. If O'Neill can pla like he did at the end of last year consistently our O should be ok.

crusader11
August 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'd say we got the better O'Neil!

Lafalumni29
August 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM

Yeah, they seem to be back at the "Lehigh is holier than thou" status that they used to enjoy. None of them will admit the first time was when our beloved Pres threatened damning us to DIII and the 2nd time we drop to 40-something equivalencies! It wasn't b/c of those reasons, it's b/c they're LEHIGH!!!!!!!!

RichH2
August 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Gee guys lighten up a bit xeyebrowx, the season hasn't even started. Rather disingenuous to blame lehigh for being picked to win PL. None of us has claimed ownership of title, not after ONE title in a row. I think we will win but certainly not easily. IMHO every team in PL is better. LU has a definite problem with 2ndary which if not adequately fixed will cost us games.
I still think Pard qb will be better this season. Play selection also hurt Pards last yr. RB s as a group may indeed be the best in PL but back to the same issue an OL. Unless he gets hurt Eachus has best chance for PL MVP. and Gate has a great OL again. No qb and at best average D will hurt. HC , as usual, is pretty good across the board but not exceptional anywhere. Hoyas and Bison will win more this yr, perhaps not in conference but they are better

DFW HOYA
August 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hoyas and Bison will win more this yr, perhaps not in conference but they are better

How is a team getting better by being 1-5 in a flat or declining PL?

RichH2
August 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
By winning OOC games altho I do think Hoyas could pick up 1 more win in PL. Actually , while perhaps a mere blip, I do not think we have slid back coming into this season. Unfortunately ,w/o addressing aid issue directly, we will certainly not improve. Off of last season , GU has basis to improve. IMHO, HC must decide on a qb and an offensive scheme . D has more quality than I can recall. Still not much depth but if they can avoid injuries lots of close games this year.

Pard4Life
August 13th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Gee guys lighten up a bit xeyebrowx, the season hasn't even started. Rather disingenuous to blame lehigh for being picked to win PL. None of us has claimed ownership of title, not after ONE title in a row. I think we will win but certainly not easily. IMHO every team in PL is better. LU has a definite problem with 2ndary which if not adequately fixed will cost us games.
I still think Pard qb will be better this season. Play selection also hurt Pards last yr. RB s as a group may indeed be the best in PL but back to the same issue an OL. Unless he gets hurt Eachus has best chance for PL MVP. and Gate has a great OL again. No qb and at best average D will hurt. HC , as usual, is pretty good across the board but not exceptional anywhere. Hoyas and Bison will win more this yr, perhaps not in conference but they are better

Well, this is the most frank and direct I've heard a Lehigh fan post. How come you don't have more fans like this... too much booze on South Mountain has affected too many...

RichH2
August 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks P4L, I think, but I really haven't seen any of our posters crowing coming into the season. The 4 yrs before last season are quite fresh in our memories.

Lafalumni29
August 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM

You're right, totally uncalled for. Bogie set the bait, and I had to bite!!

Bogus Megapardus
August 14th, 2011, 04:32 AM
You're right, totally uncalled for. Bogie set the bait, and I had to bite!!

Uncalled for, indeed. I'm simply testing out new weaponry for later in the season. Like I always say - if you're going to engage in a battle of wits, it's best not to arrive unarmed.

RichH2
August 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Ah Bogie , I am looking forward to the season and your perceptive if somewhat acerbic commentary. It will be fun.

heath
August 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
What's wrong with LU secondary?sounds like the front seven will take pressure off those guys.Secondary got burned early in the year last season but came together.

RichH2
August 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Individually, kids in 2ndary are very good but almost zero experience. Andrews the most w 2 starts. No one else has any. Littlejohn , Jarvis , Drake, Johnson et all must become a cohesive unit . The advantage of LU front 7 will force teams ,cept Gate, to pass, We face best qb in FCS the 2nd week and Witt from Yale 2 wks later. Pressure can help but cant live on that alone. Plus kid from Liberty is a runner. Could be a very long game. I dont see them stopping us either.

heath
August 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Individually, kids in 2ndary are very good but almost zero experience. Andrews the most w 2 starts. No one else has any. Littlejohn , Jarvis , Drake, Johnson et all must become a cohesive unit . The advantage of LU front 7 will force teams ,cept Gate, to pass, We face best qb in FCS the 2nd week and Witt from Yale 2 wks later. Pressure can help but cant live on that alone. Plus kid from Liberty is a runner. Could be a very long game. I dont see them stopping us either.
Be positive,remember "next man up" philosophy.You guys lose Matt Cohen to graduation and replace him with Groome,who BTW was running 2nd team at the start of August camp last year.Andrews will be a leader and that group will progress as year goes on.

RichH2
August 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I agree as the season progresses I expect 2ndary to be OK. My concern now is OOC. Monmouth, Liberty, UNH and Yale all have very good qbs. Will be a challenge which I hope we will meet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I thought this was a very fair and honest breakdown of Lehigh.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/1853

RichH2
August 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
OWL,
pretty accurate analysis. Run game last yr was anemic. Lack of talent in rbs? Bad run blocking? IMHO we have a bevy of good solid backs with little speed but very hardnosed. Sherman may surprise, storng kid with some wiggle and speed ,getting Dormevil back will help with speed as will Sodeke. OL will be an OK unit needs to be much much more cohesive this yr. Do not have Ricky and Will to pick up the slack. IF WE CAN GET THRU OOC WITH 3-4 WINS THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I think that will not be easy but it is doable

Bogus Megapardus
August 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I thought this was a very fair and honest breakdown of Lehigh.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/1853

If you call "fair and accurate" ranking Lehigh above Penn, Richmond, UC Davis, Liberty, NDSU, Villanova, Furman and Maine, then I suppose so. But don't be surprised if some find fault with the "College Sports Madness" rankings.

RichH2
August 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM
So Bogie you would rank us about #19. OK, I wont quibble with that. A might low perhaps as #13 a tad high. But I do so enjoy bickerng over where lehigh should be in the Top #20 Just went to check, the preseason polls out so far have LU anywhere from 12 to 23. Its all buulcr*p until some games are played ,so lets split the difference and put LU at #18.
All this preseason hype will surely put a target on our backs. Lets hope we our good enuf to prove it on the field.