PDA

View Full Version : UCA Off to Fresh Start in Spring Drills

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Clint Conque and company in Conway are all excited about the jump to I-AA and it seems the players on the Bears football team are bringing that energy and enthusiasm to practice. We'll know more about the Bears at their first major scrimmage which is this coming Saturday. Thanks to BearFan101 for passing this one along...

MCCOLLUM'S COLUMN: The typical and the fresh from UCA football
By David McCollum
Cabin Columnist

A couple of things have already happened during the University of Arkansas' spring football drills that coach Clint Conque hasn't seen before.

The Bears are preparing for their historic jump into NCAA Division I-AA and there's a new sense of excitement.

"Our first practice was as enthusiastic and as high energy one for a first-day practice for spring ball as I've seen since I've been coaching here," said

UCA coach Clint Conque, who will begin his eight season. Conque has also noticed more onlookers than normal to the fundamental drills, including six recruits who traveled to Conway to watch the Bears during part of their spring break. There should be more visitors Monday when the Bears resume spring work after a week's layoff from their spring break. UCA has had five practices. The early assessment is typical. The veteran players on both sides of the ball have had good retention but have a long ways to go. The newcomers have shown flashes of promise but have a very long way to go. And the defense, loaded with experienced frontline players, has been ahead of the offense on most days. UCA has had one fullscale contact session at the end of a practice session.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/032606/spo_0326060021.shtml

BEAR
March 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Spent an hour out watching them practice. They look great! :nod:

Oh yeah...had to go see the Bears baseball team right across the street beat Augustana 28 to 5...yep, that's not a misprint...:spank:

But as for the football team...what a huge turnout. I think they had every player there. Can't wait for the scrimmage next month to see what we have..

Go Bears ! :hurray: