PDA

View Full Version : Montana Coaches Suceeding Without Job Security

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Came across this on Ralph's Log...

It's an article on how Montana HCs do so well and that obviously gets them onto the national spotlight as it relates to other head coaching vacancies and the such. Covers more than just football with mentions of Griz mens' and womens' basketball programs as well...

Hauck definitely is a big fan of Missoula and the university, which he reiterates in the article that Ralph posted. I don't think he's going to leave unless he really gets shown the money elsewhere or he just doesn't like the situation over time. He has it great in Montana. He's winning and competing for the Big Sky title and I-AA playoff berths.

For the I-AA masses, do all state public schools in your neck of the woods only allow for one-year contracts?

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060325155627774

Baldy
March 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM
For the I-AA masses, do all state public schools in your neck of the woods only allow for one-year contracts?

Yes, and it has never been a problem so what's the big deal? :confused:

March 25th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Yes, and it has never been a problem so what's the big deal? :confused:Funny, people in Montana think it's a big deal Baldy.

CatFan22
March 25th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Funny, people in Montana think it's a big deal Baldy.

And that it is. Kramer here at MSU almost left for Idaho, not only for better pay, but for job security. One year contracts in Montana can be a big turn-off.

Baldy
March 26th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Funny, people in Montana think it's a big deal Baldy.
Why?

We seem to be under the same rules and it isn't a problem.

catbob
March 26th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Why?

We seem to be under the same rules and it isn't a problem.

Give me good reasons why one-year deals are better than a 3 year contract?

Take a paycheck for 3 years no matter what happens (even if you get fired), or take a paycheck for one year and hope they give you another one.

Real hard decision for a coach

GOKATS
March 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
The 2005 session of the Montana Legislature passed a bill allowing multi- year contracts for university athletic coaches, pending approval by the Board of Regents. The bill was effective 10/01/05. University coaches in Montana, as well as all other contract employees, are hired on a fiscal year beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30. The Board of Regents had this item on the March agenda, and will bring it up again at the May meeting. Though the law has been in effect since last fall, it has no ramifications until contract renewals begin in June.

Baldy
March 26th, 2006, 02:40 AM

Never said one year deals are better than 3 year deals. :confused:

All I said was that Georgia only allows one year state contracts for coaches, just like Montana and it hasn't been a problem for us.

kats89
March 26th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I don't think Sam Houston even has a contract for a head coach. At least I have never heard anything mentioned. For example, when Todd Whitten was hired last year, never was there anything said about how long his contract was for.

TexasTerror
March 26th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I don't think Sam Houston even has a contract for a head coach. At least I have never heard anything mentioned. For example, when Todd Whitten was hired last year, never was there anything said about how long his contract was for.

Bailiff is in the midst of getting an extension from the 'Cats, but it needs Texas State University System Board of Regent approval. Not sure how that works, but I think all of our coaches are year to year unless they get BoR approval...

eaglesrthe1
March 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Take a paycheck for 3 years no matter what happens (even if you get fired), or take a paycheck for one year and hope they give you another one.

Real hard decision for a coach

The boosters can give the three year contracts, if they wish. That's the way it was with Sewak. Southern Boosters have the obligation to pay what's left, not the university.

jmuroller
March 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Never said one year deals are better than 3 year deals. :confused:

All I said was that Georgia only allows one year state contracts for coaches, just like Montana and it hasn't been a problem for us.

Georgia only allows one year contracts? Explain this then....http://www.wsbtv.com/cfoot502/6441722/detail.html

Baldy
March 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Georgia only allows one year contracts? Explain this then....http://www.wsbtv.com/cfoot502/6441722/detail.html

Do you actually believe the state of GA is going to pay a football coach $2 Million a year? :lmao:
That money is raised privately through UGA's booster organization.