PDA

View Full Version : Domed Stadiums???

GABison
March 25th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I know that NDSU and UNI have domed stadiums. And after just a little surfing, I realize Idaho State has a domed stadium.

Considering I am a little lazy and tired of looking, what other IAA's have domed stadiums?

Of those stadiums, which are the best?

I happened to make it to the Northwestern State/NDSU game in 2004 and the NW State fans seemed to be genuinely impressed with the FargoDome. I was also pleased with how it seemed like a mini-NFL experience. There is always room for improvement though. We are getting there.:nod:

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Northern Arizona has a domed stadium as well...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/arizona/flagstaff_walkup_skydome.jpg

I've heard the pressbox is a pain in the tailend to get to...I hope the food is worth the "journey"...

FargoDome...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_dakota/fargo_dome.jpg

Idaho St's Holt Arena...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/idaho/pocatello_holt2.jpg

UNI Dome...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/iowa/cedar_falls_dome2.jpg

wkukid
March 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
why does NAU have a dome? I've never been to Arizona but I don't think they get too much snow.

blur2005
March 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
why does NAU have a dome? I've never been to Arizona but I don't think they get too much snow.
Uh, they do in the northern part. NAU is in Flagstaff, which gets a pretty good amount of snow each year. A lot of northern Arizona, the state itself, is not like much of the state: aka it's not desert. When I stayed there a few years ago on vacation, it was very green and not oppressively hot, unlike the Grand Canyon, or Phoenix, which hit 114 while I was there last summer.

ucdtim17
March 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I don't think they've gotten much snow in recent years

March 25th, 2006, 04:44 PM
FLAGSTAFF, AZ
2006 SNOWFALL (INCHES)
MONTH TO DATE 32.5
SINCE SEP 1, 2005 34.1
NORMAL 90.1
RECORD 123.8

FargoBison
March 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I know that NDSU and UNI have domed stadiums. And after just a little surfing, I realize Idaho State has a domed stadium.

Considering I am a little lazy and tired of looking, what other IAA's have domed stadiums?

Of those stadiums, which are the best?

I happened to make it to the Northwestern State/NDSU game in 2004 and the NW State fans seemed to be genuinely impressed with the FargoDome. I was also pleased with how it seemed like a mini-NFL experience. There is always room for improvement though. We are getting there.:nod:

With the new Coach's offices and Locker rooms NDSU might have one of the nicest if not the nicest dome in all college football. I know many may not like indoor football but I really enjoy watching football in the Fargodome.

Bulldog87
March 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I hate domes. Sadly dome stadiums are probably the wave of the future. Football is much better outdoors.

TxSt02
March 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I beleive NAU is the highest DI college in elevation... somewhere around 7200 feet...

and they are called the Lumberjacks... the northen part of the state is very different...

nlwwln
March 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I agree football is better suited for the outdoors, nothing like a brisk saturday evening football game late in the fall

GOKATS
March 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I beleive NAU is the highest DI college in elevation... somewhere around 7200 feet...

and they are called the Lumberjacks... the northen part of the state is very different...

It's actually closer to 7,000, but still right up there. I've been to the Walkup Skydome a couple times, and it's quite a facility.

Mountain Panther
March 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Question...our dome used to be air-supported before we switched to a hard-top in the 90s. Does anyone else still have an air-supported top? I believe the Metro-Dome in Minneapolis is still this way.

We even popped the top once so God could watch his favorite team play...
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/niwa/graphics/facilities/scoreboard-view-250.jpg

aggie6thman
March 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
The RCA Dome in Indy is air supported, as is the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

thirdgendin
March 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
East Tennessee State has a dome. But of course, they dropped football. xlolx

Stang Fever
March 25th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Since i can say that i have played in all four of the domes mentioned so far

Fargodome
Idaho State Dome
UNI Dome
NAU Dome

Its not even close to who has the best dome stadium...NDSU by far blows the other three out of the water....

Mountain Panther
March 25th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Since i can say that i have played in all four of the domes mentioned so far

Fargodome
Idaho State Dome
UNI Dome
NAU Dome

Its not even close to who has the best dome stadium...NDSU by far blows the other three out of the water....

Why is NDSU the best? Was it the loudest? I know our visitor locker room isn't the best, so that may be part of it. Which one of the above seats the most? Ours is just over 16,000.

Gil Dobie
March 25th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I like football outside as much as other people do. Some of the November games in North Dakota can get really miserable. I remember playoff games against Virginia Union where they opened the fieldhouse for fans to warm up at half-time. What's worse is freezing drizzle with a wind. I have been to Green Bay Packers games in cold weather too, it's fun once in a while, but watching a game in 15 degree weather isn't as fun as I used to think it was, when I was younger.

GABison
March 25th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Mountain Panther, the Fargodome is officially at 18,700 seating for football according to www.gobison.com.

Kill'em
March 25th, 2006, 10:55 PM
East Tennessee State has a dome. But of course, they dropped football. xlolx
Their dome looks like Idaho St's, a freakin' aircraft hangar.

I hate domes but I guess in some areas it is a neccessary evil.

slostang
March 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I think that the Fargodome is the only one of the four that has seating on all four sides of the field. That probably helps with the sound level.

Hansel
March 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Why is NDSU the best? Was it the loudest? I know our visitor locker room isn't the best, so that may be part of it. Which one of the above seats the most? Ours is just over 16,000.
seats (chairbacks/armrests) on all four sides, 4 videoboards, multiple scoreboards around the dome with all kinds of stats, new multimillion dollar locker rooms, meeting facilities. Also the concession options are much better at the FargoDome (i was a bit disappointed by the eats on the UNI-Dome)

March 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM
...(i was a bit disappointed by the eats on the UNI-Dome)Now that I think about it, so was I. They even ran out of hotdogs late in the third quarter.

ucdtim17
March 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Domed statiums are the wave of the 70's, not the future. If they can have open air stadiums in Pullman, Montana, Ann Arbor, South Bend, Green Bay, Minnesota (in a few years), etc etc etc, they can have them anywhere. From everything I hear, the Fargodome is a great facility, but football is meant to be played outside in the elements. But then again, that's easy for me to say sitting here in California with the sun shining

X-Factor
March 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Domed statiums are the wave of the 70's, not the future. If they can have open air stadiums in Pullman, Montana, Ann Arbor, South Bend, Green Bay, Minnesota (in a few years), etc etc etc, they can have them anywhere.

obviously you have never been to Fargo in November. I would agree outdoors would be a better choice if the climate agrees, but Fargo can be far worse than all of those other places, even worse than Minnesota because of the wind.

crunifan
March 26th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Isn't the FargoDome owned by the city of Fargo? If so, it definitely should be bigger/better.

When it comes to atmosphere, I don't the UNI Dome can be topped. That metal roof does wonders for noise.:D

Hansel
March 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM
obviously you have never been to Fargo in November. I would agree outdoors would be a better choice if the climate agrees, but Fargo can be far worse than all of those other places, even worse than Minnesota because of the wind.
October is also often rainy. Watching a FB game in 40 degrees drizzle is not treat

Hansel
March 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Isn't the FargoDome owned by the city of Fargo? If so, it definitely should be bigger/better.

When it comes to atmosphere, I don't the UNI Dome can be topped. That metal roof does wonders for noise.:D
The FargoDome is on Campus (NDSU owns the land), but the dome is "owned" by the city

Mountain Panther
March 26th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Domed statiums are the wave of the 70's, not the future. If they can have open air stadiums in Pullman, Montana, Ann Arbor, South Bend, Green Bay, Minnesota (in a few years), etc etc etc, they can have them anywhere. From everything I hear, the Fargodome is a great facility, but football is meant to be played outside in the elements. But then again, that's easy for me to say sitting here in California with the sun shining

I agree that there is nothing better than being outside on a gorgeous fall afternoon, but the weather does not always cooperate. There's a reason they hold every Superbowl in a dome these days - they know the weather will be consistent.

Another unique thing about the UNI-Dome is that the Iowa high school football playoffs are held there, and to a small town Iowa boy, it IS the Superbowl.

Hansel
March 26th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Now that I think about it, so was I. They even ran out of hotdogs late in the third quarter.
Hotdogs were about the only thing they had

the FargoDome has the usual concession stand food (hotdogs, popcorn, ice cream etc) but also has stands ran by Domino's, Subway, Famous Dave's and others

Though playing outdoors would be nice, a indoor facility like the FargoDome offers a lot of amenities we probably wouldn't have with an outdoor stadium

crunifan
March 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I think the people at North Dakota State, NAU, Idaho State, and us Panther fans can all atest that while on a nice day sure it would be nice to play outside. But in late October/early November when it is 25 degrees out with howling winds, you southerners would absolutely LOVE our domes.

slostang
March 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I know players from the Cal Poly football team that went to Fargo for a DII playoff game in the 80's. That was before the Fargodome and they played at Dakota Field. Poly got killed and the players said they were battling both the Bison and the weather. They said they had never been so cold in their lives. By going inside, you lose some of your built in advantage come playoffs. I know by reading post on the NDSU message board, a lot of Bison fans feel the same way.

Look at Montana. Two years ago they went down to play SHSU in a hot and steamy Huntsville and got it handed to them. Come December SHSU makes a trip to Missoula for the semifinals of the playoffs and UM blew them out in the cold of Wash/Griz stadium.

elkmcc
March 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Look at Montana. Two years ago they went down to play SHSU in a hot and steamy Huntsville and got it handed to them. Come December SHSU makes a trip to Missoula for the semifinals of the playoffs and UM blew them out in the cold of Wash/Griz stadium.

IMO the reason the heat and humidity got to the Griz in Huntsville that day was more attributable to the fact that the Griz never had a chance to get accustomed to the heat that particular fall. August and September were abnormally cool that year and the Griz had cool practice temperatures up to the game against SHSU.

In other years where the griz practiced in high temps throughout August and then went to Texas they actually did quite well. In '90 UM beat a tough McNeese St. team at Lake Charles and in '94 a good North Texas team at Denton, TX in September and in '97 the Griz traveled to Nachidoches and beat a good SFA team in 100 degree weather.

The 2004 SHSU semifinal loss in Wa/Griz had absolutely nothing to do with the weather. I believe it was in the 50's that day. On the other hand in '95 the Griz dismantled SFA in Wa/Griz in a semifinal game where kickoff temps were nearly single digit. Them Texas boys never had a chance. I think they were in shock. Now if they had a couple weeks to adjust to the cold, well that might have been a different story as SFA sported a linebacker by the name of Jeremiah Trotter who is currently one of the finest LB's in the NFL.

I guess my point is that weather can be a factor for visiting teams but only if it is extreme and if there is no adjustment period involved. CP seemed to play just fine last November in rather chilly but in no way extreme temps.

March 26th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Sometimes I think it is a shame that weather plays a part in affecting the outcome of games...

crunifan
March 26th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Sometimes I think it is a shame that weather plays a part in affecting the outcome of games...

I agree completely. It's nice to see a tough fought game where both teams only had to worry about playing their best.

Stang Fever
March 27th, 2006, 12:06 AM

I would have to disagree.....that's what makes football so much fun.....cause its not only the team that's lined up against you but the fans in the stadium, the weather all play a part

Stang Fever
March 27th, 2006, 12:09 AM

What makes NDSU the best is all the little things...the four BIG Screens in each corner...if it wasnt for me looking at myself in the screen at the last second i prob. would have gotten caught since the guy trying to tackled me dove at me i knew it and jumped and avoided it...

But its not an airplane hanger..thats prob. what makes it better then the other three...as for fan support...our game wasnt that packed when we were there...but i know they pack it out and can prob. get pretty loud....

UNI fans take the cake on the fan support ont he domes since there seemed to be more fans in the seats the day we played and lost

X-Factor
March 27th, 2006, 12:47 AM
What makes NDSU the best is all the little things...the four BIG Screens in each corner...if it wasnt for me looking at myself in the screen at the last second i prob. would have gotten caught since the guy trying to tackled me dove at me i knew it and jumped and avoided it...

hehehe, I've been waiting for over a year for an explaination of that play (it personally made me sick watching it and I got a clear view of you crossing the goaline as I was on the 10 yard line first row anxiously hoping for a BISON touchdown untill the unthinkable happened). That INT was basically the straw that broke the camels back, and why Walker took over at QB late in the season. And to think, our 300 lb Offensive Center almost caught you. xlolx j/k, Hunt was amazingly fast for a college lineman.

Hopefully plenty of Poly fans can make it up this fall for the game at the Dome. You guys should be better known to Bison fans this fall with that shellacking you put on us last fall. Hopefully turnout is better than an embarrassing 11834.

March 27th, 2006, 12:48 AM
What makes NDSU the best is all the little things... UNI fans take the cake on the fan support ont he domes since there seemed to be more fans in the seats the day we played and lostWhen did you play there???????????

AmsterBison
March 27th, 2006, 05:04 AM
I love outdoor football - especially when it's a bit chilly. However, in Fargo crowds at North Dakota State games could get really sparse if the visiting team coming in wasn't that interesting and the weather was cool.

With the new football offices, new turf, new lockerrooms, legal tailgating, and the big new video boards everywhere, the Fargodome has grown on me. Gotta like the "video player cards" they put on the monitors when a player makes a big play. Only thing the place needs is 4,000 more interested fans.

BTW, that 1990 playoff game against Poly was brutal. The air temp (upper 20's maybe?) was just warm enough that folks like me decided all I needed was a spring jacket but the wind was something else. One of my buddies got married that day or I would have probably frozen to death at Dacotah Field.

Bulldog87
March 27th, 2006, 07:13 AM
The new Minnesota Vikings stadium will have a retractable roof. The NFL will make them close the roof in cold and wet weather therefore tqaking the elments out of the game. The same goes for the new stadium proposed for Kansas City. From the "Ice Bowl" to the Patriots/Raiders playoff game a few years ago bad weather has enhanced the beauty and spectacle of football. As one that use to attend many Atlanta Falcon games the old Fulton County stadium was a lot more fun to watch a game than the antiseptic Georgia Dome. The only good thing about a dome is that the ladies can still put on a fashion show regardless of the weather. Other than that the game is more enjoyable if weather is a factor.

slostang
March 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM
When did you play there???????????
My guess would be Nov. 17, 2001.

MYTAPPY
March 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
East Tennessee State's dome was so pitiful, it was known as the mini barn. I don't mind if App has to play in a dome. We fair pretty well in domes. Granted....I think the only dome we have played in is at ETSU.
Bottom line..football is an outdoor sport..

dbackjon
March 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
NAU's dome was built in the 70's - and at the time was the largest all-wood structure in the world. The Dome also serves as the Basketball Arena, and in the 1980's, the Hockey Arena. (B-Ball court in one corner, the Hockey rink in the other).

At 7,000 feet, Flagstaff can get nasty weather any month. I think most would prefer a new outdoor stadium, but $$$ prevents that.

At one time, the Big Sky had three domes - NAU, ISU and Idaho.

bigbluetiger
March 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Being an Atlanta Falons season ticket holder, One thing I've discovered about domes is the noise factor if you're the home team.

TheBisonator
March 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM
The Fargodome is bar-none, the BEST dome in I-AA, and one of the top-5 stadiums overall in I-AA. The UNI Dome cannot even compare to the Fargodome in amenties or atmosphere. NDSU averages more than 3,000 more fans per game than UNI does. The fans at our Dome have had issues in the past with acting like living dead, but it can get very loud in there. The game against SDSU last fall had some very loud crowd noise. I'm good friends with the strength and conditioning coach for NDSU, and he used to work at UNI, and he told me that the Fargodome blows the UNI Dome out of the water. He said that one reason was that the UNI Dome has bleachers with backs, but the Fargodome has individual seats. Don't forget the four digital video boards. Most NFL stadiums don't even have that many video boards. Not to mention 18 suites, pretty good concessions, a seating capacity of 18,700 and brand-new coaches offices, locker rooms and meeting rooms on the lower level. While I would personally prefer a 20,000-seat outdoor stadium, I'm still glad the Bison play in a place like the Fargodome.

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I have never cared for domed stadiums. I've always felt the 'elements' should be a part of the game. As for atmosphere, I went to a Detroit Lions game at the old Silverdome back in the mid-1970s and it felt like going to a movie (and a lousy one at that). I remember the old "Boardwalk Bowl" that used to be played at Convention Hall in Atlantic City. Never liked that either. Despite the horrendous conditions that we suffered through last October, I still like being outside for football. The way it was meant to be.

Stang Fever
March 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
hehehe, I've been waiting for over a year for an explaination of that play (it personally made me sick watching it and I got a clear view of you crossing the goaline as I was on the 10 yard line first row anxiously hoping for a BISON touchdown untill the unthinkable happened). That INT was basically the straw that broke the camels back, and why Walker took over at QB late in the season. And to think, our 300 lb Offensive Center almost caught you. xlolx j/k, Hunt was amazingly fast for a college lineman.

Hopefully plenty of Poly fans can make it up this fall for the game at the Dome. You guys should be better known to Bison fans this fall with that shellacking you put on us last fall. Hopefully turnout is better than an embarrassing 11834.

LOL yeah that center almost got me...but close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades....My teammates teased me about it for weeks..but like i told them....he passed up a lot of other people before he got to me....I still would love to have a picture of that play but cant find on anywhere

crunifan
March 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The Fargodome is bar-none, the BEST dome in I-AA, and one of the top-5 stadiums overall in I-AA. The UNI Dome cannot even compare to the Fargodome in amenties or atmosphere. NDSU averages more than 3,000 more fans per game than UNI does. The fans at our Dome have had issues in the past with acting like living dead, but it can get very loud in there. The game against SDSU last fall had some very loud crowd noise. I'm good friends with the strength and conditioning coach for NDSU, and he used to work at UNI, and he told me that the Fargodome blows the UNI Dome out of the water. He said that one reason was that the UNI Dome has bleachers with backs, but the Fargodome has individual seats. Don't forget the four digital video boards. Most NFL stadiums don't even have that many video boards. Not to mention 18 suites, pretty good concessions, a seating capacity of 18,700 and brand-new coaches offices, locker rooms and meeting rooms on the lower level. While I would personally prefer a 20,000-seat outdoor stadium, I'm still glad the Bison play in a place like the Fargodome.

You made some pretty bold claims. All I would say, is does your football team have it's opponents practicing in a gym with speakers BLARING noise to prepare for a game in one of I-AA football's hardest places to play?

UNI does.:nod:

Bison05
March 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
You made some pretty bold claims. All I would say, is does your football team have it's opponents practicing in a gym with speakers BLARING noise to prepare for a game in one of I-AA football's hardest places to play?

UNI does.:nod:

Well here is a quote the from SDSU message board about how the team prepared for their game last year at the FFD. SDSU Message Board (http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=sdsufb;action=display;num=1131224206 ;start=30)

"As i left campus tonight i drove by coughlin and the boys were out practicing at about 8:30. I wondered why they would be practicing then and as i got closer i heard. They had music blaring from the sound system at the stadium and the offense was running plays from the south endzone directly in front of the scoreboard. It was loud , i could still here the music from my truck as i turned onto Hwy 14 from the road east of the stadium. The fargo dome will be crazy and loud, but i think we will be prepared.

FargoBison
March 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Well here is a quote the from SDSU message board about how the team prepared for their game last year at the FFD. SDSU Message Board (http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=sdsufb;action=display;num=1131224206 ;start=30)

And one of the major turning points in the game last year was a false start in the 3rd quarter that lead to SDSU only getting field goal instead of what looked like a for sure touchdown(They were at the 1 or 2 yard line). That crushed SDSU's mo and after that the rout was on. SDSU prepared for the crowd noise but still couldn't handle it, when the dome is rocking I'm sure it is one of loudest stadiums in all of IAA.

Chi Panther
March 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM

I havn't been to the Fargodome yet.....Need to get there....

However, UNI's problem is being the 3rd wheel according to the Iowa Board of Regents. Facilities wise.....its soo hard for UNI to get anything done relative to Iowa or ISU....

With the Human Performance Center and McLeod Center (soon to be finished)....gonna have some really nice facilities for a I-AA school!!!:bow:
http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/bh/bhmcleodusa.html

TxSt02
March 28th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I have never cared for domed stadiums. I've always felt the 'elements' should be a part of the game. As for atmosphere, I went to a Detroit Lions game at the old Silverdome back in the mid-1970s and it felt like going to a movie (and a lousy one at that). I remember the old "Boardwalk Bowl" that used to be played at Convention Hall in Atlantic City. Never liked that either. Despite the horrendous conditions that we suffered through last October, I still like being outside for football. The way it was meant to be.

did some research on this and noticed that the Liberty Bowl was held in NJ one year...

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?section=8032

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/LibertyBowl62305.jpg

Pachuta
April 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Flagstaff gets more snow than Buffalo, NY in an average year...go figure.

I lived there for 2 years, it's terribly windy and cold in winter.

Cities with most average snowfall: (in inches)

1 Blue Canyon California 240.8
2 Marquette Michigan 128.6
3 Sault Ste. Marie Michigan 116.7
4 Syracuse New York 111.6
5 Caribou Maine 110.4
6 Mount Shata California 104.9
7 Lander Wyoming 102.5
8 Flagstaff Arizona 99.9
9 Sexton Summit Oregon 97.8
10 Muskegon Michigan 97.

ucdtim17
April 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
That's an odd list as Blue Canyon isn't really much of a town - there are many more ski area towns in California that get twice as much snow

colgate13
April 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Flagstaff gets more snow than Buffalo, NY in an average year...go figure.

I lived there for 2 years, it's terribly windy and cold in winter.

Cities with most average snowfall: (in inches)

1 Blue Canyon California 240.8
2 Marquette Michigan 128.6
3 Sault Ste. Marie Michigan 116.7
4 Syracuse New York 111.6
5 Caribou Maine 110.4
6 Mount Shata California 104.9
7 Lander Wyoming 102.5
8 Flagstaff Arizona 99.9
9 Sexton Summit Oregon 97.8
10 Muskegon Michigan 97.
Syracuse and Flagstaff are probably the only 'cities' that most people would recognize on that list.

Speaking from experience, Syracuse and the surrounding environs get dumped on yearly. I consider this year to be pretty mild and yet we've gotten over 124". Last year felt much worse and we got over 137".

This list IMO is a better one:

Average Seasonal Snowfall at Cities with Populations Greater Than 100,000

1. Syracuse 108 inches
2. Buffalo 93 inches
3. Rochester 93 inches
4. Erie 87 inches
5. Denver 68 inches
6. Albany 66 inches
7. Worcester 61 inches
8. Cleveland 56 inches
9. Toronto 55 inches
10. Hartford 51 inches
11. Minneapolis 47 inches
12. Milwaukee 45 inches
13. Boston 44 inches
14. Pittsburgh 42 inches
15. Chicago 40 inches

link (http://www.buffalonian.com/history/articles/1951-now/2001snowstorm/SnowfallinMajorusCities.html)

Hansel
April 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Syracuse and Flagstaff are probably the only 'cities' that most people would recognize on that list.

Speaking from experience, Syracuse and the surrounding environs get dumped on yearly. I consider this year to be pretty mild and yet we've gotten over 124". Last year felt much worse and we got over 137".

This list IMO is a better one:

Average Seasonal Snowfall at Cities with Populations Greater Than 100,000

1. Syracuse 108 inches
2. Buffalo 93 inches
3. Rochester 93 inches
4. Erie 87 inches
5. Denver 68 inches
6. Albany 66 inches
7. Worcester 61 inches
8. Cleveland 56 inches
9. Toronto 55 inches
10. Hartford 51 inches
11. Minneapolis 47 inches
12. Milwaukee 45 inches
13. Boston 44 inches
14. Pittsburgh 42 inches
15. Chicago 40 inches

link (http://www.buffalonian.com/history/articles/1951-now/2001snowstorm/SnowfallinMajorusCities.html)
You just haven't heard of the cities because they are not on the East Coast ;)

FYI - Bozeman 83.5 inches

igo4uni
April 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
You just haven't heard of the cities because they are not on the East Coast ;)

East coast bias is absolutely everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :D :D :) :) xlolx xlolx xlolx :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Kill'em
April 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Yep!

bcrawf
April 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
And one of the major turning points in the game last year was a false start in the 3rd quarter that lead to SDSU only getting field goal instead of what looked like a for sure touchdown(They were at the 1 or 2 yard line). That crushed SDSU's mo and after that the rout was on. SDSU prepared for the crowd noise but still couldn't handle it, when the dome is rocking I'm sure it is one of loudest stadiums in all of IAA.

How often do you guys have teams in that can't call plays IN THE HUDDLE because its too loud. Ask SIU and EWU how that feels!!:nod:

JBB
April 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
The Fabulous Fargo is a great stadium. You wouldnt believe the years of whining by BISON fans that the game should go back outside to the Old Dacotah field. Tailgating outside and football inside is the best combination there is.

X-Factor
April 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
How often do you guys have teams in that can't call plays IN THE HUDDLE because its too loud. Ask SIU and EWU how that feels!!:nod:

If you guys would have accepted to play us at the Fargodome this fall you could have found out :D

wannabegaucho
April 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
How can you not know Mount Shasta? :)

Tailbone
April 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM

Not much you can do about the weather.
Field conditions, on the other hand...........:mad:

Tailbone
April 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
We even popped the top once so God could watch his favorite team play...
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/niwa/graphics/facilities/scoreboard-view-250.jpg

soooo............the Griz were there that day.
Cool. God does love his Griz.:nod:

bcrawf
April 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
If you guys would have accepted to play us at the Fargodome this fall you could have found out :D

You guys were not exactly lining up to come to Cedar Falls either!!

Gil Dobie
April 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
You guys were not exactly lining up to come to Cedar Falls either!!

We were looking for Home and Home :)

crunifan
April 5th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I'm sure the FargoDome is loud, but lets face it. UNI plays in a dome, therefore I doubt the FargoDome could possible get loud enough to give the Panther football team something it isn't used to at every home game.

Then again, you take some unsuspecting team from outdoors like say...Youngstown State. And I'm sure you have ruffled their penguin "feathers" a bit.xlolx

Reed Rothchild
April 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I'm sure the FargoDome is loud, but lets face it. UNI plays in a dome, therefore I doubt the FargoDome could possible get loud enough to give the Panther football team something it isn't used to at every home game.

Some thought the dome would be in our favor when we went to Missoula to play the Griz. The noise and crowd got in our heads and we were embarrassed.

Noise is a factor.

The FargoDome seats more than the UNIDOME and has people in the endzones. Noise would definitely be a problem.

JBB
April 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Ive never seen better football than I have seen in the Fabulous Fargo Dome. Ive seen a lot of stadiums, most outside naturally. Inside football puts it on the line. Conditions are perfect, bring your game. We got ours.

Outside all sorts of things happen, That's why people like it. There is the element of chance, of the unexpected. It goes beyond performance and preparation. Its called luck. The wet ball, the slip, the pass that suddenly sailed.

That kind of football is ok. Its the way the game is played at most stadiums. But not in Fargo. At the Fabulous Fargo Dome conditions are perfect for football.

Outside tailgating, Inside football. What could be better?

X-Factor
April 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Ive never seen better football than I have seen in the Fabulous Fargo Dome. Ive seen a lot of stadiums, most outside naturally. Inside football puts it on the line. Conditions are perfect, bring your game. We got ours.

Outside all sorts of things happen, That's why people like it. There is the element of chance, of the unexpected. It goes beyond performance and preparation. Its called luck. The wet ball, the slip, the pass that suddenly sailed.

That kind of football is ok. Its the way the game is played at most stadiums. But not in Fargo. At the Fabulous Fargo Dome conditions are perfect for football.

Outside tailgating, Inside football. What could be better?

You gotta love the FFD airconditioning in august too xlolx :nod:
The day we played Northwestern State last fall it was actually hotter with higher humidity in Fargo than it was in Louisiana. Talk about some crazy weather we get....

crunifan
April 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Some thought the dome would be in our favor when we went to Missoula to play the Griz. The noise and crowd got in our heads and we were embarrassed.

Noise is a factor.

The FargoDome seats more than the UNIDOME and has people in the endzones. Noise would definitely be a problem.

Noise is a factor, no doubt. But as a team that plays in a dome, we are better equipped to deal with the noise than teams that don't play in stadiums as loud as the UNI-Dome or FargoDome. When SIU, Youngstown State, or Eastern Washington had to call time outs to be able to call a play, that was because they couldn't hear each other and were unable to find a more efficient way to name plays. But when UNI is in that situation, we are able to get the plays out, but if a player or the team gets nervous or the crowd gets in their head, to me that is a mental thing.

Bottom line, we have a system to overcome crowd noise, other teams aren't as prepared as those that play in domes.

bisonguy
April 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
If the Fargodome had as many people making noise as it does sitting on their hands, absolutely no visiting team would be able to hear themselves think.

The Fargodome can get loud, the problem is that it doesn't very often. :nonono2: It's getting better, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

pantherclaw
April 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM
i'm gonna weigh in here to as a marching band person i love knowing that no matter what it's like outside, I don't have to bundle up to perform my show, and can blast away with out blistering my chops b/c it's so cold outside. so that's why I like domes, just my 2 cents.

pantherclaw
April 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM
i'm gonna weigh in here to as a marching band person i love knowing that no matter what it's like outside, I don't have to bundle up to perform my show, and can blast away with out blistering my chops b/c it's so cold outside. so that's why I like domes, just my 2 cents.

TheValleyRaider
April 7th, 2006, 03:07 PM

You haven't lived until you've wailed away with a layer of ice on the inside of your horn.

crunifan
April 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
You haven't lived until you've wailed away with a layer of ice on the inside of your horn.

That's what high school was for! College is for comfort!