PDA

View Full Version : UNH budget articles and football?

Brad82
August 9th, 2011, 06:17 AM
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110802-SPORTS-108020394

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110805-SPORTS-108050317

UNH fans-
Given the current economy and attrition of local FCS teams from the CAA,can this scenario keep going for the wildcats ?

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
A lot of our athletic departments rely heavily on institutional support - particularly those not receiving the multi-millions from TV deals.

Athletics is the easiest thing to take money away from because you are not having an impact on the classroom or the faculty. With accreditation being so huge and having X amount of faculty and classes offered to hit different marks, one has to be careful.

Good thing for UNH is that they have a $25M budget. Could be much worse. You could have a budget lower than $8M like some of the SLC schools who get 50% or more of their budget from their institution.

crusader11
August 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Holy Cross would happily welcome UNH to the PL.

Quick question for 'Cat fans: If the PL offered scholarships like the CAA does, would it be OK in your book for UNH to leave the CAA in favor of the PL?

henfan
August 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
If the PL were to permit 'athletic scholarships' and reduce or eliminate its strict reliance on the AI, then the league might begin to look attractive to a whole host of schools, not just UNH. What are the chances of both of these things happening?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
That's it: I'm releasing a piece today on this. One article from Maine could be an anomaly from a somewhat ill-informed reporter; two is definitely a trend.

Dane96
August 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Ok...let's keep this simple.

As long as there is any sort of "higher standard" regarding admission, e.g. the AI, a State AG will not allow a school to participate because of the potentially nasty claim of discrimination.

Do I agree with it...no, because frankly there are always "higher standards" of admission that are unspoken. That said, something as publicized as the AI would not fly well...even though it is a solid "point to" when you are arguing with athletic detractors (I.e. "Look Mr. Anti-Athletics Faculty Member...Joe Schmo regular student would have never gotten in if he weren't playing football because they would fall below the AI").

BTW, while I enjoy your articles LFN...where in this article (forming the basis of your article's argument for UNH/Maine...presumeably) did they mention the Patriot League. Did I miss something?

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM
That's it: I'm releasing a piece today on this. One article from Maine could be an anomaly from a somewhat ill-informed reporter; two is definitely a trend.

Where is the story on Maine? Must've missed it...

NHwildEcat
August 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
The cost to travel isn't really that much of a concern...even at the current status quo, UNH will be in the CAA for years to come. I think the hope lies in the conference adding some more northern teams to help create more bus trips, but I think UNH isn't willing to accept an alternative.

I don't want UNH in the PL...at least not at this point in time. But if there were to ever make that move, there had better be 63 scholly's. UNH already has a small athletic department...hell, we don't have baseball...how does a flagship campus not have baseball!!! No Men's Lax...UNH is strictly relying on football and hockey to carry the other programs...its tough. I think basketball should continue to seek big paydays...the honest truth with the basketball team is they are not very good...just about average- so why not make a little money in being a warm up game for a big power. They played UConn last year and surprised everyone by only losing by 7, so you really never know...but take the money and run...seriously!