PDA

View Full Version : Illinois St Opens Spring Football

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM
16 starters returning and 43 letterwinners. Not too bad for a team that was six points away from the I-AA playoffs (three-point losses to both Youngstown St and Western Kentucky) and a 9-2 record that would have been good enough for a I-AA playoff berth, especially since one of those other two losses were to I-A Iowa State.

This is a team I'll be keeping an eye on. Granted they did lose some big impact players, they return too many players who contributed. Having Southern Illinois, Youngstown St and Missouri St at home will help. That season finale against Northern Iowa in the UNIDome will mean a lot!

NORMAL, Ill. - Beginning on Sunday, the Illinois State football team will have 15 practices, including the annual Red-White Scrimmage on April 22, over a 28-day span as the Redbirds begin preparation for the 2006 season with their annual spring camp. The `Birds will hold their first workout on Sunday at Hancock Stadium at 3 p.m., in helmets and shorts.

The Redbirds, who finished 2005 with a 7-4 mark, are coming off a memorable season, but are focused on making the NCAA I-AA Playoffs in 2006. ISU has 43 letterwinners returning, including 16 starters.

"We have some definite goals heading into spring," head coach Denver Johnson. "We have a lot of guys coming back, but we also lost guys like (Brent) Hawkins, Stafford (Davis) and (Mike) Stegeman, who really played a lot of ball for us. So we have some definite holes to fill and now it's time for some of our young guys to break through. We look for (camp) to be very competitive and we are looking forward to seeing who is going to step up for us."

http://goredbirds.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/ilsu-m-footbl-sched.html

crunifan
March 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I really hope Illinois State has a great year and makes it into the play-offs. If they are as strong as they were last year, they would be a huge factor in the play-offs.

Then again, when the Redbirds visit the dome at the end of the season, there will be no mercy. It is payback time!xlolx

REALBird
March 31st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Spring Football has officially began in Normal. Despite the injury to starting QB Luke Drone, the ISU backups have proven quite capable of filling in for Drone during his absence from spring practice.

Sophomore QB, Kevin Brockway has completed 27 of 38 passes in the 7 on 7 drills, with two 80 yard strikes for TD's. One to LRob (Mr. Payton) the other to Dan Passarelli.

Sophomore QB, Wally Cirafesi has completed 30 of 38 passes through 3 spring practices in the 7 on 7 drills.

Also, as of day #3, Junior QB Luke Drone - threw a few passes at the end of practice. Drone was supposed to miss spring practice due to sports hernia surgery, he worked on his short hooks and crossing patterns.

Read more about Redbird Spring Practice at:

http://goredbirds.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/033006aab.html

igo4uni
March 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
when the Redbirds visit the dome at the end of the season, there will be no mercy. It is payback time!xlolx

ISU kicked the crap out of UNI last year. We owe them the same. :nod: :nod: