PDA

View Full Version : Idaho St Faithful Have Elevated Expectations

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Matt Gutierrez seems to be all the reason for optimism with Idaho State's chances this year at a Big Sky title and I-AA playoff berth. I've never though of Idaho State as much of a school to contend in the Big Sky with the likes of Montana, Montana St and even Portland State and heck, Northern Arizona who has made some playoff bids in recent years. Can Idaho St compete with the big boys? Is there more to be optimistic about for Idaho St than just a gunslinger from Michigan?

-------------
A fall-like spring at ISU

“I've followed ISU since I was a little kid and I don't remember people being this excited for spring football,” he said.

Of course, there is one major reason why this spring seems more special than the past. It's a 6-foot-5, 235-pound reason with a rocket for an arm, and a natural charisma to lead.

“It wouldn't have anything to do with Matt Gutierrez,” Lewis said with a sly, sarcastic grin.

Actually, it would have everything to do with Gutierrez.

The University of Michigan quarterback's transfer to Idaho State, elevated expectations from high to unlimited. Suddenly, the possibility of a Big Sky championship and a Division I-AA playoffs seems within reach.

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2006/03/25/sports/sports02.txt

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Oh, here's the spring prospectus from Idaho St...

PDF file...
http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/idsu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2006SpringGuide.pdf

And the official spring practice release...

Pocatello, ID --- Idaho State University head football coach Larry Lewis will open up preparations for the 2006 football season on Monday afternoon when ISU begins the first of four weeks of spring practice, which will culminate in the annual spring game on Saturday, April 22 at 1:00 pm at the South Practice Field of Holt Arena.

The Bengals, who return 37 letterwinners and 16 starters from last year's 5-6 team, are highly regarded, returning 13 players who earned some sort of Big Sky postseason honor last year.

Spring camp will give ISU fans their first chance to see Michigan transfer Matt Gutierrez in action at quarterback. Gutierrez is expected to the be under center when ISU takes on UNLV in the 2006 season opener on September 2.

Interestingly, the Bengals return 105% of their rushing offense from last year, but ISU loses all of their passing yards, with the departure of seniors Brian Zeches and Luke Sniewski, and the loss of Matt Hagler, who has left the university.

The Bengals have six transfers in camp, two I-A transfers (Gutierrez and Oregon linebacker Ryan Phipps) and four junior college transfers. All practices begin at 3:45 pm at the South Practice Field, and are open to the public and the media.

http://isubengals.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032406aaa.html

GOKATS
March 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
It should be a very interesting year for the Big Sky Conf. There seems to be more parity every year.

catbob
March 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
ISU returns Josh Barnett and Ken Cornist who combined for 1576 yards last year on the ground. If ISU can find a potent passing offense, they could be very, very good on the offensive side of the ball.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM
It should be a very interesting year for the Big Sky Conf. There seems to be more parity every year.

Will it benefit the Big Sky's playoff desires with all this parity?

2005, we saw both Big Sky participants go down in round one. In 2004, we saw two Big Sky participants (one of whom fell in the QFs, the other in the finals) and 2003, we saw three Big Sky conference teams.

Can the Big Sky get back to three I-AA playoff participants in 2006 with this parity, I guess that's what I'm asking. Also, can all this parity hurt the chances of a Big Sky member going far? 2005 was obviously not a good year. Are these teams beating on each other too much in the conference slate?

Ronbo
March 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
The parity will be for 2nd place. Weber and ISU will be a little better than MSU. PSU and NAU are a mystery as they have a lot of JC's coming in and that makes them hard to figure. UNC and Sac. State might win a couple conference games. The opinion of many Griz fans is we are looking better than our 2004 team which had mostly freshmen and sophs on defense. Those guys are juniors and seniors now. The Big Sky will still go through Missoula.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2006, 08:23 AM
A good look at what the Bengals must answer if they're going to compete in the Big Sky this coming year...

ISU Spring Football 2006: 5 burning questions

By Ryan Divish - Journal Sports Writer
With Idaho State's spring football practice scheduled to begin in less than 24 hours, ISU fans and followers are obviously anxious and somewhat curious to view what is thought to be the most pivotal spring workout for possibly the most talented team head coach Larry Lewis has ever put on the field.

Before harboring Big Sky championship hopes and Division I-AA playoff dreams for next fall, ISU must accomplish plenty in the next four weeks.

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2006/03/27/sports/sports01.txt

PDXCat
March 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
The parity will be for 2nd place. Weber and ISU will be a little better than MSU. PSU and NAU are a mystery as they have a lot of JC's coming in and that makes them hard to figure. UNC and Sac. State might win a couple conference games. The opinion of many Griz fans is we are looking better than our 2004 team which had mostly freshmen and sophs on defense. Those guys are juniors and seniors now. The Big Sky will still go through Missoula.

Wouldn't have expected any different opinion from you Ronnieboy. My opinion, and one shared by many outside Missoula, is that there are 4, maybe 5, teams that will vie for the title. MSU, UofM, Weber, Portland State, and maybe Idaho State. ISU's new qb will help them, but they have a real penchant for losing games they shouldn't. MSU is again, more athletic defensively, than UM. No one is going to roll over.

To the point of the post though, it will be hugely competitive and could bite us in the butt when it comes to selecting three teams to advance. The best way to get three in would be for um to be the third team. Their history of being in the playoffs does bode well for the selection committee. So it is a distinct possibility.

slostang
March 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM
2005, we saw both Big Sky participants go down in round one. In 2004, we saw two Big Sky participants (one of whom fell in the QFs, the other in the finals) and 2003, we saw three Big Sky conference teams.

Montana lost to a tough Cal Poly team that they had beaten early in the year and a 7-4 EWU team loss a very close game on the road to UNI, a team that advanced to the finals. Do not kid yourself, the Big Sky is still a very solid conference.