PDA

View Full Version : Kats Wrap Up Week One - Noah Allen Back

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM
The biggest news courtesy of the Huntsville Item is that Noah Allen is out there competing for the starting QB job and transfer Akeem Retig (who had health issues while at Baylor that took him away from football) has worked his way to getting some snaps with the first-team offensive line, though of course, nothing is set...

Noah Allen of course was the Kats starting QB, a transfer from Oklahoma and a one-time top 25 QB in the nation coming out of Pearland (Tx) High School. He failed a steroid test and missed most of last season. He's now back and in the QB mix with senior Wade Pate, junior Philip Daughtery (the incumbent starter who transfered from TxTech in August), junior Brett Hicks and sophomore Jordan Reever (who transfered from LSU before last year)

From the Item...

Allen wants put the past behind him and concentrate on the future.

“It feels good to be back out here and being in the camaraderie of this team,” he said. “I’m glad to be competing again because competing makes everyone better and makes this team better. I’m just trying to do my best every day. I’m not approaching this opportunity any different. I know I have the talent, I just have to find a way to get it out of me. Hopefully I can shine. If not, hopefully I can be someone who can get this team up. I’ll do whatever I can to help this team.”
----------------
Camp notes: One of the Bearkats’ incoming recruits is participating in spring drills, and he’s not hard to miss on the field. Offensive lineman Akeem Retig, who transferred from Baylor and enrolled at SHSU for the spring semester, has wasted no time making an impression on the coaching staff.

The 6-foot-7-inch, 360-pound tackle has already found his way into some snaps with the first-team offense.

“(Akeem) is doing fine and progressing along,” SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said. “We need him to lose a little weight and get his body into playing shape because he hasn’t played in a couple of years. But he is a big guy with great feet and is really strong. He has a great attitude and is really going to be able to help us out.”

Retig redshirted as a freshman at Baylor in 2002 and missed the previous two seasons after being hospitalized in July 2003 when he collapsed on the field during conditioning drills because of heat exhaustion. The heat exhaustion led to kidney failure, and Retig has not played since the incident.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_084014352.html?keyword=topstory

blackfordpu
March 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Good to hear about NA. I hope he can help the team somehow. I still think that PD will be the starter unless he really stinks it up at camp or someone else really stands out. All of our QBs have the talent to be a starter, just have to see who steps it up.

Its good to see we got more help for the OL too.

exbearkat
March 26th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Not sure if I missed it or what, but isn't Wade Pate going to be a JUNIOR (not Sr.) this Fall? I know he played is Freshman year, but redshirted is Sophomore year. So, he should still only be a Junior, right?

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
The biggest news courtesy of the Huntsville Item is that Noah Allen is out there competing for the starting QB job and transfer Akeem Retig (who had health issues while at Baylor that took him away from football) has worked his way to getting some snaps with the first-team offensive line, though of course, nothing is set...

Noah Allen of course was the Kats starting QB, a transfer from Oklahoma and a one-time top 25 QB in the nation coming out of Pearland (Tx) High School. He failed a steroid test and missed most of last season. He's now back and in the QB mix with senior Wade Pate, junior Philip Daughtery (the incumbent starter who transfered from TxTech in August), junior Brett Hicks and sophomore Jordan Reever (who transfered from LSU before last year)

From the Item...

Allen wants put the past behind him and concentrate on the future.

“It feels good to be back out here and being in the camaraderie of this team,” he said. “I’m glad to be competing again because competing makes everyone better and makes this team better. I’m just trying to do my best every day. I’m not approaching this opportunity any different. I know I have the talent, I just have to find a way to get it out of me. Hopefully I can shine. If not, hopefully I can be someone who can get this team up. I’ll do whatever I can to help this team.”
----------------
Camp notes: One of the Bearkats’ incoming recruits is participating in spring drills, and he’s not hard to miss on the field. Offensive lineman Akeem Retig, who transferred from Baylor and enrolled at SHSU for the spring semester, has wasted no time making an impression on the coaching staff.

The 6-foot-7-inch, 360-pound tackle has already found his way into some snaps with the first-team offense.

“(Akeem) is doing fine and progressing along,” SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said. “We need him to lose a little weight and get his body into playing shape because he hasn’t played in a couple of years. But he is a big guy with great feet and is really strong. He has a great attitude and is really going to be able to help us out.”

Retig redshirted as a freshman at Baylor in 2002 and missed the previous two seasons after being hospitalized in July 2003 when he collapsed on the field during conditioning drills because of heat exhaustion. The heat exhaustion led to kidney failure, and Retig has not played since the incident.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_084014352.html?keyword=topstory

AND HE'S BACK ON THE TEAM?! WHAT?!:nono:

blackfordpu
March 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
AND HE'S BACK ON THE TEAM?! WHAT?!:nono:

There was a lot of controversy surrounding the situation.

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
There was a lot of controversy surrounding the situation.

yeah, i'd imagine so. i hope for the best with Mr. Allen, but let's just hope he doesn't fudge up again and further stain your program's reputation. I didn't think you guys were THAT DESPERATE for a QB. The QB you had at the end of last year looked like he was doing well...

blackfordpu
March 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM
yeah, i'd imagine so. i hope for the best with Mr. Allen, but let's just hope he doesn't fudge up again and further stain your program's reputation. I didn't think you guys were THAT DESPERATE for a QB. The QB you had at the end of last year looked like he was doing well...

Daugherty is a great QB. I think he will be the starter this season.

The controversy was that NA failed the test but took another one and it came back clean. He claimed that it was a false positive. We will never know the real truth but he is a great guy and athlete to have on the team.

TexasTerror
March 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
The issue is not over. It's apparent that while Allen is back, there's still some sorting out to do. Not sure what, but read what you may out of this. Perhaps he needs to take some more tests and get those all back as negative continually which I think is what'll be the case...

“Noah served his suspension and is back out here competing,” Whitten said. “He had a good offseason and worked hard in the weight room. He is doing well, and I’m proud of him. I’m not sure when he will be able to play because there are still some things going on, but he’s back and doing well.”

exbearkat
March 28th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Not sure if I missed it or what, but isn't Wade Pate going to be a JUNIOR (not Sr.) this Fall? I know he played is Freshman year, but redshirted is Sophomore year. So, he should still only be a Junior, right?
OK, according to the 2005 roster http://www.gobearkats.com/football/roster.html, Pate is going to be a JUNIOR for the 2006 season (like I thought). The initially referenced article is incorrect: :nono:

Senior Wade Pate and junior Phillip Daugherty, who transferred from Texas Tech a year ago, split time at the quarterback position last season. Both had a chance to start a few games, but neither was able to lock down the position. The Bearkats also have junior Brett Hicks and sophomore Jordan Reever competing for time.

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
OK, according to the 2005 roster http://www.gobearkats.com/football/roster.html, Pate is going to be a JUNIOR for the 2006 season (like I thought). The initially referenced article is incorrect: :nono:

Pate played as FR in 2003. Redshirt in 2004. Played in 2005 as a RS-SO. Will return as a JR in 2006. Your right...roster is right...