PDA

View Full Version : Deriso: Football Saves SWAC from Disastrous Offseason

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Well-respected Nick Deriso does not hold back when talking about football being the savior for what has been a very rough off-season for the SWAC... including numerous academic sanctions, NCAA investigations, etc...

The Southwestern Athletic Conference’s release trumpeting its football broadcast schedule, usually another ho-hum moment of preseason puffery, was this breath of fresh air after such an ugly offseason.

The upcoming slate includes eight games across the ESPN family of networks, along with national and regional television dates with NBC, Versus, and SportSouth. In all, 21 SWAC games are set to be televised during the 2011 football season — including a 10-game schedule on SWAC TV, the conference’s internet broadcast site.

This news gives the league, and its fans, a chance to focus on football for a change.

So far in 2011, of course, the focus has been on a series of Hindenburg-level firestorms: Last year’s Southwestern Athletic Conference champion Texas Southern dumped its coach when the NCAA opened a sweeping investigation into the program. Penalties there are still pending. Then, perennial SWAC East representative Jackson State — picked to win the division again in 2011 — fell under an NCAA postseason ban for low APR scores. The league also saw the departure of two coaches, both of them former conference-championship winners, to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, the other Division I HBCU football league.

http://thederisoreport.hbcufannation.com/2011/08/08/getting-back-to-football-is-only-thing-that-will-save-swac-from-disastrous-offseason/

3rd Coast Tiger
August 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
A little retaliation "TT" style. xlolx

McNeese75
August 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
A little retaliation "TT" style. xlolx

I think you got it LOL

Jaguar79
August 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
26 days until we can go back to our classics, nice sized crowds, and encouraging atmospheres. All that has happened this summer will be wiped away as soon as the first ball is kicked off .... and maybe TT can release the vice grip he has on the SWAC's

bjtheflamesfan
August 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hey now hey now...this is supposed to be a family site...and I dont think he posted this just to "get back at" the SWAC posters here...I mean with all that stuff that's happened, Id look forward to some positive news too

Jaguar79
August 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hey now hey now...this is supposed to be a family site...and I dont think he posted this just to "get back at" the SWAC posters here...I mean with all that stuff that's happened, Id look forward to some positive news too

There's a LOT of positive news coming from the SWAC and other conferences ... for some reason, that NEVER seems to come out in TT's posting though.

813Jag
August 10th, 2011, 12:33 PM
new ownership, same issues...........

bjtheflamesfan
August 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Umm...maybe if you actually used the report button (and write a very respectful note indicating why the post is being reported), as Ive just done, instead of just blathering on about TT's "axe to grind" against the SWAC, theyd give it a look and take the appropriate action.

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Nick Deriso columns have been posted on this board for years, though typically in the news feed or CSN Log (can't recall which). He's one of the more well-respected journalists covering FCS and more particularly, the SWAC.

What's wrong with sharing his columns? It seems that has stopped and it would be nice to bring'em back!

crossfire07
August 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM
There's a LOT of positive news coming from the SWAC and other conferences ... for some reason, that NEVER seems to come out in TT's posting though.

How about you sharing some of that good news coming from the SWAC.

813Jag
August 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Umm...maybe if you actually used the report button (and write a very respectful note indicating why the post is being reported), as Ive just done, instead of just blathering on about TT's "axe to grind" against the SWAC, theyd give it a look and take the appropriate action.
Maybe people feel like addressing it out in the open so people can respond, just like TT did in his latest response. If you can't speak out in regards to something that bothers you, maybe this board isn't for you. Honestly what are the mods gonna do, put him in the corner until he posts positive articles? Whether I agree with what he does or not he has the right to do it. As long as he doesn't break the TOS.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Umm... how do you know that people haven't used the report button?

gram4life
August 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Umm... how do you know that people haven't used the report button?

I have, they don't care. TT can post whatever. I've stop trying.

RabidRabbit
August 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
G4L - I see nothing in the mod section that indicates that you have reported a post within the last year.

In this particular thread, it is from the HBCU fan nation. Why is this a TT issue? xconfusedx xchinscratchx

I'd love to have some more SWAC positive articles, xthumbsupx please SWAC members, find and post them. xbowx xsalutex

gram4life
August 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
G4L - I see nothing in the mod section that indicates that you have reported a post within the last year.

In this particular thread, it is from the HBCU fan nation. Why is this a TT issue? xconfusedx xchinscratchx

I'd love to have some more SWAC positive articles, xthumbsupx please SWAC members, find and post them. xbowx xsalutex

Well I have in 2011, I have no need to lie. Didn't say this one was an issue.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
new ownership, same issues...........

Can you clarify for me 813? I don't know if I am misunderstanding what you are saying in this one because in your next post on the thread you seem to be saying what I've been doing?

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Tried getting it off on the right path, since many of our SWAC members had not felt inclined to post stories...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?88831-SWAC-School-by-School-Previews

813Jag
August 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Can you clarify for me 813? I don't know if I am misunderstanding what you are saying in this one because in your next post on the thread you seem to be saying what I've been doing?
i just meant the TT/SWAC thing in general. It just reminded me of the old board. I don't have any issue with the way the site is run. I have no beef with you or Cleets. xpeacex

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Just a few notes from what I've read here though.

This is not a family site. It's a site for men & some of the women folk that can handle the usual discussions that go on when football, politics, & religion are involved.

If you want a family site then please go join an Oprah board and have all the fun that it provides you.

TT baits SWAC posters all the time. He posts real articles and so forth so I don't have any clue what the hell is even reportable here?

I also don't see any reported posts but it doesn't matter because I would not do anything as you suggested anyway. I also would not do anything to you or any other posters for fighting back and posting in the manner that TT does.

TT is a regular poster here just like anyone else. He has ZERO protected status or whatever you want to believe he has. If you ever see me dinging someone for something TT gets away with please start a thread for all to see exclaiming that I am a liar and state your case.

We don't have a whole lot of reported posts lately and nobody on this particular thread is a big "post reporter" so you can wear that as a badge of honor because it means you are not some overly sensitive pussy and can handle these situations on your own on the board.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
i just meant the TT/SWAC thing in general. It just reminded me of the old board. I don't have any issue with the way the site is run. I have no beef with you or Cleets. xpeacex

Got it. The TT/SWAC thing is a staple for certain. I found it more than a little amusing to see 3rd Coast's thread yesterday.xlolx

bjtheflamesfan
August 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM

I have, they don't care. TT can post whatever. I've stop trying.

Well I have in 2011, I have no need to lie. Didn't say this one was an issue.

Ok one of you is lying because I just went back through the mod section too and there are no reported posts coming up from G4L so either youre lying G4L or RR is lying and the search needs to be tweaked. If you have any evidence G4L, itd be a good time to present it

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Ok one of you is lying because I just went back through the mod section too and there are no reported posts coming up from G4L so either youre lying G4L or RR is lying and the search needs to be tweaked. If you have any evidence G4L, itd be a good time to present it

It may have been outside of the time he stated no big deal. There was a time when TT was able to tweak and not be tweaked and that is the issue he is really getting at. It just hasn't been within the last year. Not a big deal at all if he misspoke and I'm sure he had some issue in the past that he is not happy about and it is still a sore spot which makes it seems fresher.

Or, he thought he was reporting and it just didn't go through because he didn't submit it properly...not a big deal and doesn't need to be the focus here.

Riding him on this small point doesn't show anyone that things are not as they were back then so let's drop that off the "point of contentions" list since three of us have looked and can't find it.xthumbsupx

gram4life
August 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
It may have been outside of the time he stated no big deal. There was a time when TT was able to tweak and not be tweaked and that is the issue he is really getting at. It just hasn't been within the last year. Not a big deal at all if he misspoke and I'm sure he had some issue in the past that he is not happy about and it is still a sore spot which makes it seems fresher.

Or, he thought he was reporting and it just didn't go through because he didn't submit it properly...not a big deal and doesn't need to be the focus here.

Riding him on this small point doesn't show anyone that things are not as they were back then so let's drop that off the "point of contentions" list since three of us have looked and can't find it.xthumbsupx

My complaints went to headblinesmen 07/2010 and 04/2011. Maybe that was outside of what you guys are talking about. I don't have to lie. It is what it is.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
My complaints went to headblinesmen 07/2010 and 04/2011. Maybe that was outside of what you guys are talking about. I don't have to lie. It is what it is.

Got it. As I said I wasn't implying a lie situation but more of a misunderstanding of tems. You probably pm'd bj but a reported post is different and that is what we all thought you were referring to when looking for it.

All good by me my friend.

gram4life
August 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Got it. As I said I wasn't implying a lie situation but more of a misunderstanding of tems. You probably pm'd bj but a reported post is different and that is what we all thought you were referring to when looking for it.

All good by me my friend.

It's cool! Water under the bridge.

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Texas Southern lost their case to a former WBB coach... continuing some of the misfortunes the league has endured across the board this off-season...

A federal court jury Friday returned a $730,000 gender discrimination judgment in favor of Surina Dixon — who was hired as women’s basketball coach at Texas Southern University in March 2008 but left in a contract dispute without coaching a game.

In a weeklong trial before U.S. District Judge David Hittner, Dixon alleged discrimination and retaliation.

Dixon was hired at an annual salary of $75,000, said Martin Shellist, an employment lawyer with Shellist, Lazarz and Slobin in Houston, who is representing Dixon. When she arrived on the TSU campus, she discovered the new men’s head basketball coach — a man —was getting $148,000 a year.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7695281.html#ixzz1UuMxKKVb

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Texas Southern lost their case to a former WBB coach... continuing some of the misfortunes the league has endured across the board this off-season...

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7695281.html#ixzz1UuMxKKVb

What does this have to do with football.

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
What does this have to do with football.

The SWAC's "disastrous offseason" includes numerous things across the board. Losing several lawsuits pertaining to football and in this case, basketball - are part of them. It is all negative exposure for the SWAC, particularly when the lawsuit victor alleged NCAA, Title IX compliance issues that ring in the same step with some of the problems that have impacted the football programs...