PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette practice starts tmrw; new schedule update

Pard4Life
March 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Lafayette starts their spring practices tomorrow. Schedule says 9am in helmets only. Spring game is set for April 22 at 11am. The PDF file even includes the depth chart as of right now. As predicted, Reddy and Romans (sophs) and Stovall (sr) are penciled in at the vacated LB spots. Padilla is in at RG.. a very big addition. Lawson and Chad Hunter are in at CBs, but both saw some respectable playing time last year. Can't wait to see what practices bring about.

As for the new schedule, the Pards open at Sacred Heart on September 2. We dropped Columbia (or they dropped us, according our board).

http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032406aac.html

9/2 at Sacred Heart
9/9 at Bucknell
9/16 PENN
9/23 at Princeton
9/30 YALE
10/7 BYE
10/14 at Harvard
10/21 Holy Cross
10/28 at Colgate
11/4 at Fordham
11/11 Georgetown
11/18 Lehigh

colgate13
March 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I can understand playing Sacred Heart, but away? You couldn't muscle a home game out of it? ???

Pard4Life
March 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I can understand playing Sacred Heart, but away? You couldn't muscle a home game out of it? ???

We want to save the home unveiling for the bigger game :D

But, I have no clue. It might be a good thing to start on the road... team bonds the first game, more focus perhaps. That would be my rationale as the coach.. mold the mentality.

Should be a nice trip to Connecticut... if gas isn't 3.50 by that point.. :rolleyes:

carney2
March 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Could be that (1) they're not confident that the stadium renovations will be ready by the 2nd, or (2) they don't want to spend their one and only stadium rededication on anyone further down the food chain than a Penn.

Sorry to see Columbia go. They were the only one of the 5 Ivy games that I had confidence in. On the other hand, I am glad that a game is scheduled before that League opener at Bucknell.

Go...gate
March 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Columbia's OOC scheduling is really sliding downhill. As to opening against Sacred Heart, just be careful. As anybody from Colgate will tell you, an NEC opener is no gimme!

colgate13
March 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Could be that (1) they're not confident that the stadium renovations will be ready by the 2nd,

That one makes sense to me, thanks.

carney2
March 26th, 2006, 11:54 AM
That one makes sense to me, thanks.

Here's another one that makes sense: perhaps some promises were made to Penn to get a home game. Ya never know. After all, I'm still wondering what happened to the Columbia game.

Regarding that last point, Columbia has scheduled Iona in the vacant spot. So,:

Is Lafayette looking for a game on 9/2 so that they don't go into the League opener at Bucknell facing a team that has already played a game?

Is Columbia looking for win to get something - anything - on the "W" side of that ledger?

Have the schools had a falling out? For some time this game has been as much a certainty on each team's schedule as League games. This certainly flies in the face of recent traditions.

LBPop
March 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Don't know if it's in any way related, but Columbia shows up on the Georgetown schedule this season. While I cannot stand to see football on the old fashioned turf/rug, a trip to Manhattan is always fun...expensive, but fun.

On another note, getting Penn at home when it's their first game is a real opportunity for the "Pards". Last season Georgetown got Brown in the same situation and the first half was very close. Of course the Hoyas got crushed later, but I would venture that the slow start for Brown was in part due to them playing a team who had already played two games. Should be a good battle.

ngineer
March 26th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Here's another one that makes sense: perhaps some promises were made to Penn to get a home game. Ya never know. After all, I'm still wondering what happened to the Columbia game.

Regarding that last point, Columbia has scheduled Iona in the vacant spot. So,:

Is Lafayette looking for a game on 9/2 so that they don't go into the League opener at Bucknell facing a team that has already played a game?

Is Columbia looking for win to get something - anything - on the "W" side of that ledger?

Have the schools had a falling out? For some time this game has been as much a certainty on each team's schedule as League games. This certainly flies in the face of recent traditions.

My first inclination is to think Columbia is looking for a 'W' from anyone they think they have a shot at. New Coach--they've been scraping the bottom of the barrel of late and they surely don't want to start the new regime with a 49-0 pounding.

Pards Rule
March 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I agree with Ngineer...I think that is the reason...

Lehigh Football Nation
March 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM
The official term is

fraidy-scared

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh no, it's Lafayette!!!!

Pards Rule
March 27th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Are they looking to fill the bye week?

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Anyone betting that the Penn game will be played at Cottingham Stadium instead?

:D

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Anyone betting that the Penn game will be played at Cottingham Stadium instead?

:D

Hope not--it only seats 8,000 and I would expect, hope, that a crowd of around 10,000 up..plus parking will be a nightmare with an overflow crowd. Cottingham is a great high school stadium, but it's smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood of mostly row homes and half-doubles whose residents have not off-stree parking.

colorless raider
March 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I agree with Ngineer...I think that is the reason...They dropped Colgate in a similar fashoin hence we played CCSU last year and Monmouth this year. Columbia is really "dumbing" down their schedule.

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hope not--it only seats 8,000 and I would expect, hope, that a crowd of around 10,000 up..plus parking will be a nightmare with an overflow crowd. Cottingham is a great high school stadium, but it's smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood of mostly row homes and half-doubles whose residents have not off-stree parking.

You also described the area around BASD Stadium. Lehigh had a contigency plan to play there in '88 if Goodman hadn't been ready in time.

carney2
March 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Are they looking to fill the bye week?

Assuming that "they" is Lafayette, replacing Columbia with Sacred Heart still leaves them with 11 games. I don't believe that 12 is an option in 2006. Besides, they will need the week off to tape and paste Maurer back together for the League portion of the schedule.

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 08:34 PM
You also described the area around BASD Stadium. Lehigh had a contigency plan to play there in '88 if Goodman hadn't been ready in time.

Interesting--but at least BASD can hold alot more people. I think it holds close 16,000. Plus, there is better parking around BASD than Cottingham, with a few lots over at Moravian, though I agree a great majority would be on the street, also.
I think one of the Lehigh/Lafayette games was played at BASD back in the 1940's or 1950's.