PDA

View Full Version : FCS over FBS upsets this year.

1andDone
August 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Which teams do you see beating FBS schools this year? It seems like a few every year.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
After close losses at Minnesota & Nebraska the past two seasons, I feel we're due to knock off Illinois on Sept. 10th... They have a lot of question marks, and it seems like a Big 10 team falls to an FCS squad every year (usually its the Gophers, however).

clenz
August 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
UNI over ISU

DJKyR0
August 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Some discussion on this topic on the saturdayblitz.com FCS Roundtable: http://saturdayblitz.com/2011/08/03/fcs-roundtable-top-games-fcs-over-fbs-alerts/

NDSU over Minnesota has to be in consideration, though Jerry Kill at the helm should be a drastic change from Brewster. As I noted in the above blog entry, I think Indiana State over WKU is a very real possibility as well.

phoenixphanatic21
August 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'd love to say Elon over Vandy, but I'll just be happy if we keep it close.

My best bets would be Richmond over Duke or App over VT.

lionsrking2
August 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think the Lions will get Tulane this year...outplayed them last year but turnovers got us in a 27-21 loss.

ekufbfan
August 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'd love to say Elon over Vandy, but I'll just be happy if we keep it close.

My best bets would be Richmond over Duke or App over VT.

Be prepared for some home cookin' big time in Nashville. EKU played Vandy several years ago. Not only did we have a clearly made touchdown nullified, Vandy was not called for a single penalty, none, nada, ZERO! I have been following college football for over 40 years and have never seen a game where one team (this case of course HOME team) was not called for at least a holding penalty or two....but not in Nashville. Even their fans after the game seemed a little embrassed by the calls the officilas did NOT make while managing to call them on EKU and call back a TD. Some of their fans "laughingly" said the officials had their Vandy yellow flags sewn into their pockets. You can always expect to get some iffy calls/non calls when playing FBS schools, but that day was unreal. (Final score 19-7: One TD called back for EKU, numerous drives stalled by penalties on EKU and no penalties on Vandy, surprised it was not worse)

Cocky
August 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Some discussion on this topic on the saturdayblitz.com FCS Roundtable: http://saturdayblitz.com/2011/08/03/fcs-roundtable-top-games-fcs-over-fbs-alerts/

NDSU over Minnesota has to be in consideration, though Jerry Kill at the helm should be a drastic change from Brewster. As I noted in the above blog entry, I think Indiana State over WKU is a very real possibility as well.
Does a win over WKU really count as a FBS win?

darell1976
August 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I think UND has a good shot at beating Idaho. 45-0 last year was an embarrassment....UND will NOT let that happen again.

Thundar
August 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM
NDSU over Minnesota
Indiana St gets beat up by Penn ST but learns some lessons and takes down Western Kentucky
Missouri St has no chance against Oregon and Arkansas
UNI over Iowa St
SDSU may keep it close but I dont see them winning at Illinois
SIU could hang tough with Ole Miss but fall short
WIU loses to Missouri
YSU gets pounded by Michigan St

GSU EAGLES
August 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Georgia Southern over the Crimson Tide which could be the FCS #1 against the FBS #1. You never know as the triple option can confuse unprepared defenses and it can melt the clock if you get a lead. Realistically, keeping it within two TDs would be nice.

bjtheflamesfan
August 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
With NC State's leading rusher out, I think the chances of Liberty knocking off the Wolfpack got a little better

MR. CHICKEN
August 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
DELAWARE...OVERAH...NAVY.......WOODN'T BE... TOO BIG UH STRETCH........15957........AWK!

Gil Dobie
August 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Montana over Tennessee

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I hope Wofford keeps it close against Clemson, but I doubt that will happen

Seawolf97
August 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I hope we keep it close against both UTEP and Buffalo. UTEP is starting a new QB this year and several new OL will be starters so there is a shot. My concern down there is the heat. The game is at 8pm local time so hopefully it will be under 90 degrees at kick off. Buffalo I'm just not very sure about, it is always the depth issue also -85 scholarships vs 63.

McNeese75
August 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think the Lions will get Tulane this year...outplayed them last year but turnovers got us in a 27-21 loss.

The SLC is long overdue to take down the Green Wienies

citdog
August 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I hope Wofford keeps it close against Clemson, but I doubt that will happen

Personally I think it sucks that our STATE SUPPORTED schools allow you and vermin to play them y'all being PRIVATE and all. These money games should be REQUIRED by law to take place between the STATE schools.

TheBisonator
August 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM
NDSU over Minnesota
Indiana St gets beat up by Penn ST but learns some lessons and takes down Western Kentucky
Missouri St has no chance against Oregon and Arkansas
UNI over Iowa St
SDSU may keep it close but I dont see them winning at Illinois
SIU could hang tough with Ole Miss but fall short
WIU loses to Missouri
YSU gets pounded by Michigan St

Don't sell WIU short at Mizzou. They almost took down Arkansas not too long ago. They're a hard team to figure out. Seems like they really get up for some games and don't for others.

I-16Bandit
August 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Realistically, keeping it within two TDs would be nice.

That would be an accomplishment by itself.

Thundar
August 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Don't sell WIU short at Mizzou. They almost took down Arkansas not too long ago. They're a hard team to figure out. Seems like they really get up for some games and don't for others.

With the loss of their QB they will be a different team, but notice I only put loses didnt say they get pounded

Redbirdz
August 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Jacksonville State has a chance over Kentucky. JSU beat Ole Miss last year and came within 35 seconds of beating Florida State the year before.

TheRevSFA
August 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have my fingers crossed that we'll beat Baylor, but if we can keep it within 20 and not fake injuries this year, I'll be happy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2011, 07:57 PM
With the loss of their QB they will be a different team, but notice I only put loses didnt say they get pounded

Barr was their team last year. They will get pounded by Mizzou.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
SBU over Buffalo - The Bulls are going to be horrendous this year and this season figures to be SBU's best, perhaps ever.

I think the MAC will take care of their FCS games. Some will pick UNH over Toledo without realizing the Rockets are likely the best team in the conference. UT has the potential for a really big year.

Tribal
August 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Mostly likely is UNH over Toledo. UNH has--I think--4 FBS wins in the past five years. 5dimes is giving Toledo 3.5 points. W&M beat UVA two years ago (26-14). 5dimes is giving UVA 7 points. If Paulus is healthy, W&M will win that game. UR beat Duke two years ago. 5dimes is giving Duke 9 points. UD plays Navy close most match-ups. JMU is expected to have an excellent defense this season. UNC is expected to take a step back. W&M nearly upset UNC last season (and not when half of UNC's roster was suspended, either). I predict 2 CAA teams will upset their FBS opponent.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mostly likely is UNH over Toledo. UNH has--I think--4 FBS wins in the past five years. 5dimes is giving Toledo 3.5 points. W&M beat UVA two years ago (26-14). 5dimes is giving UVA 7 points. If Paulus is healthy, W&M will win that game. UR beat Duke two years ago. 5dimes is giving Duke 9 points. UD plays Navy close most match-ups. JMU is expected to have an excellent defense this season. UNC is expected to take a step back. W&M nearly upset UNC last season (and not when half of UNC's roster was suspended, either). I predict 2 CAA teams will upset their FBS opponent.

I don't gamble but i'd seriously consider putting money on Toledo. This will be the best Rockets team in several years.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I predict 2 CAA teams will upset their FBS opponent.

I hope you're right, but have a bad feeling that this is the year the ACC pays us back for the last couple of years... Richmond, William and Mary and JMU aren't sneaking up on their respective opponents this year.

I agree with you on UNH. That's the best shot. xtwocentsx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I hope you're right, but have a bad feeling that this is the year the ACC pays us back for the last couple of years... Richmond, William and Mary and JMU aren't sneaking up on their respective opponents this year.

I agree with you on UNH. That's the best shot. xtwocentsx

Nova has a better shot against Temple than UNH has against Toledo imo.

Tribal
August 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Nova is expected to take a step back and they'll field a new QB. UNH has a recent record of beating FBS teams and Toledo isn't even the 5th best team in Ohio. I guess neither would surprise me.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Nova is expected to take a step back and they'll field a new QB. UNH has a recent record of beating FBS teams and Toledo isn't even the 5th best team in Ohio. I guess neither would surprise me.

Not the fifth best team in Ohio? lost credibility on that one....

They return 19 starters and are the preseason pick in the MAC.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Eagles might catch the Dawgs nappin', but I doubt it. I'll be disappointed if we lost by more than 20 though.

Tribal
August 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Not the fifth best team in Ohio? lost credibility on that one....

They return 19 starters and are the preseason pick in the MAC.

They managed to score 2 points against Arizona--AZ long snapper must have hiked it over the punter's head. Wyoming beat them at home-Wyoming is horrible. They lost by 35 to N. Ill. Off the top of my head: Ohio State, Miami of Ohio, Ohio, Cincinnati are superior. Ball State is up and down (had a down season in 2010).

Smitty
August 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Western Carolina over Georgia Tech... You heard it hear first!

Realistically it would be great to keep them under 50 points.

SideLine Shooter
August 7th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Western Carolina over Georgia Tech... You heard it hear first!

Realistically it would be great to keep them under 50 points.

I believe they will score as many as they want to.

da_Bison
August 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Eagles might catch the Dawgs nappin', but I doubt it. I'll be disappointed if we lost by more than 20 though.

With Bo Levi as your QB this could be a great game, he was rollin in the playoffs
and will prolly be even that much better as a senior

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nova has a better shot against Temple than UNH has against Toledo imo.

We're all free to our opinions but I just can't see Villanova, who's breaking in new starters all over the place, winning more than a handful of games this year, let alone beating an FBS in their opener.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM
With Bo Levi as your QB this could be a great game, he was rollin in the playoffs
and will prolly be even that much better as a senior

This big thing is that he won't have the growing pains like he had at the beginning of the season last year with his receivers. He'll know the offense inside and out, with lots of rapport and experience with his wideouts... one of whom will be his older brother. He caught almost everything that went his way in Spring Ball, including a sick one hander for a TD. The ground game may or may not struggle without TJ, but I have a feeling that our aerial attack is going to be lights out. Still, it will take a perfect game to beat UW.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2011, 09:59 PM
We're all free to our opinions but I just can't see Villanova, who's breaking in new starters all over the place, winning more than a handful of games this year, let alone beating an FBS in their opener.

The Villanova talent level is still pretty high and these two know each other very well. You can't discount the rivalry aspect. Plus, Temple is breaking in quite a few starters and a new coaching staff. I think Temple will win but it won't be easy.

clenz
August 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Barr was their team last year. They will get pounded by Mizzou.
Not just Barr, but they lose the MVFC defensive POY as well.

Cat79
August 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Texas State has a chance against Wyoming:D

SF State Gaters
August 8th, 2011, 03:23 AM
The question for me is whether or not the FCS can win more games against the FBS than last season (ten). Some of the ones predicted would come to fruition but it would take other surprises for it to happen. Last season was a banner year for FCS wins over FBS teams, it would be exciting for that trend to continue.

AppStsGr8
August 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM
While I believe it's possible for App to beat VT, I don't see that happening this year. VT will be very well prepared so as not to repeat the JMU loss, and App will be playing its first game using a 3-4 defense and will have a fairly young O-line. Will I be there cheering for the Mountaineers to pull off the upset? APPsolutely!

GaSouthern
August 8th, 2011, 07:20 AM
GSU upsets undefeated Bama in the greatest upset in college football history.

melloware13
August 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM
They managed to score 2 points against Arizona--AZ long snapper must have hiked it over the punter's head. Wyoming beat them at home-Wyoming is horrible. They lost by 35 to N. Ill. Off the top of my head: Ohio State, Miami of Ohio, Ohio, Cincinnati are superior. Ball State is up and down (had a down season in 2010).

Ball State is in Indiana.

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Georgia Southern and App State are the least likely.

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think that there are some that are less likely than those chattown...I mean Im not picking either of them in their games but I dont have a deep seated bitterness toward them like you do

asumike83
August 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I think that there are some that are less likely than those chattown...I mean Im not picking either of them in their games but I dont have a deep seated bitterness toward them like you do

There may not be many less likely than GSU, but that is due to who they're playing. If that loaded 'Bama team lost at home late in the season to any FCS squad, even a top 5 team, it would be the biggest upset in college football history. ASU is certainly a serious underdog going into Blacksburg, but we are far from the least likely to win.

ASUG8
August 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
JMU over North Carolina is a decent bet. Lots of turmoil in Chapel Hill right now.

Unfortunately, I'm not as optimistic on ASU/VT due to the loss of starters, new defense, and big group of underclassmen needed to step up quickly. It bodes well for '12, however.

appfan2008
August 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Georgia Southern and App State are the least likely.

typical quote from chattownmocs...

bc utc is the best team in the socon dont ya know

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Georgia Southern and App State have no prayer of being competitive. Va Tech will be pissed about last year, and Alabama will completely maul Georgia Southern. There is no chance either game is even remotely competitive.

dgtw
August 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Not to discount James Madsion's win last year, but Va Tech was coming off a loss to Boise on Monday night in a game played at the Redskins' stadium, so they had less prep and rest time.

But Beamer tends to choke in big games, so Appy could pull the upset. Good luck to them, but not to GSU.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Georgia Southern and App State have no prayer of being competitive. Va Tech will be pissed about last year, and Alabama will completely maul Georgia Southern. There is no chance either game is even remotely competitive.

Much like the Mocs have 0 chance against Nebraska in Lincoln.

Apphole
August 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM
UTC has 0 chance of beating ASU or GaSo.

crossfire07
August 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Texas State has a chance against Wyoming:D

Since Texas State is no longer FCS ( they have more than 63 schollys), I don't think it would be considered an "upset". Texas State losing at FCS stadiums this year will be upsets.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Since Texas State is no longer FCS ( they have more than 63 schollys), I don't think it would be considered an "upset". Texas State losing at FCS stadiums this year will be upsets.

I agree. I think they want to consider themselves FCS so when they get beat by other SLC institutions (except for SFA as it seems we can't beat them) they can say they were equal and it wasn't an FCS team beating a transition team.

Saint3333
August 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Texas State losing at FCS stadiums this year will be upsets.

How is it an upset if it is expected?

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Not to discount James Madsion's win last year, but Va Tech was coming off a loss to Boise on Monday night in a game played at the Redskins' stadium, so they had less prep and rest time.

But Beamer tends to choke in big games, so Appy could pull the upset. Good luck to them, but not to GSU.

Good thing for him this is the smallest game of the year. Big games? Its an FCS opponent, you cannot be serious.

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM

Not much of a chance but a far better chance the the other 2.

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM
UTC has 0 chance of beating ASU or GaSo.

lulz

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Not much of a chance but a far better chance the the other 2.

So do you take ample quantities of drugs to get into that delusional state you are in about Moc football, or do men in white robes give you special kool-aid for each season?

asumike83
August 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM

I was surprised to see that Chattanooga was not favored in that game. The odds makers out there must not read AGS, otherwise they would know that UT-C never loses a game, they only 'give them away' to inferior teams. I'm sure Nebraska would love to win, but realistically they probably just don't want to get embarrassed too badly by the greatest 6-5 FCS team ever assembled.

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Any grown man who responds with lulz or lolz should be punched in the throat...

I-16Bandit
August 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Maybe it's a little kid just punching the keyboard, then replying? That would make a world of sense.

dgtw
August 8th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I was surprised to see that Chattanooga was not favored in that game. The odds makers out there must not read AGS, otherwise they would know that UT-C never loses a game, they only 'give them away' to inferior teams. I'm sure Nebraska would love to win, but realistically they probably just don't want to get embarrassed too badly by the greatest 6-5 FCS team ever assembled.

Why isn't the game being played in Chattanooga? Wouldn't any Husker worth his salt give anything to play in the Mecca of FCS?

Smitty
August 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I would give up a kidney to play in UTC over Lincoln, NE anyday!

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM
So do you take ample quantities of drugs to get into that delusional state you are in about Moc football, or do men in white robes give you special kool-aid for each season?

It only take common sense to see the obvious. There isnt a chance in hell Frank Beamer is going to allow his team to lose twice in a row to an FCS opponent. That game is going to be ugly. Alabama is probably the most talented and physical team in the country. They are going to destroy Georgia Southern. Its obvious. Nebrasks is probably more talented than Va Tech bo nowhere near the talent level of Alabama. They may be caught completely sleeiping though. As i said, the difference between a 5% chance. And a 0% chance

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM

One thing is for sure. A liberty flame won't be doing anything.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm hoping Georgia Southern is looking at a playoff seed and mails in the game in Tuscaloosa while resting the starters and protecting them from injury. It's nuts to be playing that game just before the playoffs, but we need the money.

I've wondered how much effect App's game @ Florida had on their game vs Villanova.

superman7515
August 8th, 2011, 06:32 PM
How about SC State vs Central Michigan. None of the Directional U schools in Michigan has ever impressed me.

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
One thing is for sure. A liberty flame won't be doing anything.

I only cant do anything because a) I dont have my trusty aluminum bat and b) Im not in the same room with you...

As for the topic at hand, I think Liberty has a lot more of a chance to win its game than UTC has in its game...especially with NC State missing its leading rusher

asumike83
August 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'm hoping Georgia Southern is looking at a playoff seed and mails in the game in Tuscaloosa while resting the starters and protecting them from injury. It's nuts to be playing that game just before the playoffs, but we need the money.

I've wondered how much effect App's game @ Florida had on their game vs Villanova.

I agree with the idea but it's just so hard to ask the kids to do that, you know they're all jacked up to play a team like 'Bama or UF. If it gets out of hand, I'm all for sitting the starters to avoid the risk of injury but you almost have to let the 1st string get a crack at 'em. I hated the timing of the Florida game from the second it was announced and it certainly didn't do much for our confidence. However, when you get beaten soundly at home like we did against Villanova, it's hard to put too much blame on the FBS game.

I lost a ton of respect for Urban Meyer that day after watching the Gators go for it on 4th and 1, up 32 points with 3 minutes to go. On the bright side, I had a blast in Gainesville.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
How about SC State vs Central Michigan. None of the Directional U schools in Michigan has ever impressed me.

This one i can see. In terms of FCS over MAC i'd rank the games as follows...

1. SBU over Buffalo
2. SCSU over CMU
3. Villanova over Temple
4. UNH over Toledo

Imo, there's a substantial gap in terms of likelihood between 2 and 3.

phoenixphanatic21
August 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
They may be caught completely sleeiping though.

Couldn't you say that about every FBS team? Particularly one at the end of the season when they have nothing to gain (like an Alabama this year or Florida last year?)

asumike83
August 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Couldn't you say that about every FBS team? Particularly one at the end of the season when they have nothing to gain (like an Alabama this year or Florida last year?)

One thing that can't be overlooked is that ASU (last year vs. UF) and GSU (this year vs. Alabama) play on Senior Day against a class that has a National Championship and a lot of pride. You can bet that those guys aren't trying to go out with an embarrassing home loss, so the chances are slim that they'd just snooze through it.

I think the best chance for an underdog to pull the upset is in the season opener, because there is still no film of this particular team to study. If you can work some new wrinkles into your offense or defense that throws them off, anything can happen.

frozennorth
August 9th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I think und over fresno state is surprivingly likely.

Minn 2011 will be a little better than Min2010 (which actually wasn't all that bad), ndsu2011 will be much better than usd2010. Plus there may be many more ndsu fans there than gopher fans.

CopperCat
August 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Now that UW is without their precious Jake Locker, I think EWU has a legit shot at beating them. Your offense will give them fits. If I wasn't on an airplane coming home from the desert I would probably be at that game. Bo Levi may have a decent game against that defense, I hope he does.

Hood
August 9th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Nicholls State over ULL.

I-16Bandit
August 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Jacksonville State over Georgia State.

Georgia State is FBS, right?

darell1976
August 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I think und over fresno state is surprivingly likely.

Minn 2011 will be a little better than Min2010 (which actually wasn't all that bad), ndsu2011 will be much better than usd2010. Plus there may be many more ndsu fans there than gopher fans.

I think that would be a bigger shocker then if were to beat Idaho.

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Nicholls State over ULL.

I might actually buy into this one.

McNeese72
August 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I might actually buy into this one.

But would that really be an upset??????

Doc

McNeese72
August 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I guess we want be sneaking up on Kansas. North Dakota State didn't do us any favors by beating them last season. ;)

I'm not as happy with the North Dakota St. win now as I was last season when it happened. :)

Hopefully, we will play more like we did against LSU than the way we played against Missouri.

Doc

LIONFAN07
August 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nicholls State over ULL.

I would love that to happen ULL is a joke at FBS. We need that and the Lions to take down the Greenies. We have been close in past years but maybe this year is our year. Show the state that the FCS schools are as strong as the wannabe FBS schools in Louisiiana. (ULL, Tulane, LA Tech, ULM)

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Doc

Nah..not even close.

tribefan40
August 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Also have to recognize that there was a home game for App in between the two, which the mountaineers won in a blowout. App got handled by a very, very good Nova team. As to scheduling, I think any time outside of the first week or two is a crappy time to play an FBS squad.

URMite
August 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Everyone mentions UR over Duke in 2009 when discussing this year's game but most don't mention our shutout in 2006. I don't have big expectations for this year's game - Duke keeps improving, and we trying to get all the pieces in sync...but we are going for the hat trick.

Looking at past FCS/FBS games...how bad was Kansas St in the 80s - 7 FCS losses, 2 in 1 season, and 5 seasons in a row. And has GSU ever had any success against FBS?

chattownmocs
August 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Alabama could fall asleep and most FBS teams still couldnt beat them. The difference in talent between Alabama and Nebraska is substantial.

andy7171
August 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm calling it. Towson beats Maryland this October. Sending shock waves through the State of Maryland and filling Unitas Stadium every Saturday from there on out.

Oops! I'm awake now, that was a nice dream.

dgtw
August 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Jacksonville State over Georgia State.

Georgia State is FBS, right?

No, they are not. This is the second year of their program. I don't even think nthey are a full fledged FCS program yet and aren't eligible for the playoffs.

andy7171
August 9th, 2011, 02:55 PM
No, they are not. This is the second year of their program. I don't even think nthey are a full fledged FCS program yet and aren't eligible for the playoffs.

REALLY!!??!! You'd never would have guess that listening to their fans....xrolleyesx

I-16Bandit
August 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3800000/Sarcasm-Motivational-Poster-house-md-3805895-500-400.jpg

McNeese75
August 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM
REALLY!!??!! You'd never would have guess that listening to their fans....xrolleyesx

OH Snap

McNeese72
August 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Wait a second. A team that went 4-7 in the Southland with blowout losses to San Diego State, Western Michigan, and brand new South Alabama is supposed to beat a team that it has never beaten?

Louisiana-Lafayette has had more six-win teams in the 2000's than Nicholl's State. I don't see a team that plays with 83 scholarships and typically is a spoiler for the Sun Belt championship game losing to a Southland team that has done really nothing for over a decade--much less than UL-Lafayette.

Well, I was listening until you used ULL and championship in the same sentence then you lost me. You almost sound like a Middle Tenn. St. fan. The Middle Tenn fans and the Cajun fans for some reason tend to get buddy buddy with each other.

Doc

bojeta
August 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm going with Teddy Roosevelt on this one.... Speak softly and carry a big stick!

Redbird Ray
August 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I think these 7 have a real good shot at winning. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few others as well. Probably between 7-12 "upsets" this year. Also, Illinois State will go undefeated versus FBS this season. xlolx

1) Indy State over Western Kentucky
2) Northern Iowa over Iowa State
3) Southern Illinois over Ole Miss
4) Delaware over Navy
5) Richmond over Duke
6) Southeastern LA over Tulane
7) Eastern Washington over Washington

crossfire07
August 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hate the Sun Belt? Not at all. We wish they would invite us to play in their big time houses more often but for some reason they won't. I wonder why that is? Anyways, how you like that deer in the headlights?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/fxdci/2ull07gscore.jpg

clawman
August 11th, 2011, 12:38 AM
A few games that seem plausible to me:

Southern Utah @ UNLV 9/24/2011
Morth Dakota @ Idaho 9/10/2011
and of course... the National Champion Eastern Washington Eagles over the Huskies of Washington 9/3/2011

TheRevSFA
August 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Is Arkansas State not scheduled to play one of YOUR better Southland teams this season?

stAte and UCA are renewing an old rivalry. Hopefully they actually make it more than a "one and done"

TwoFeathers
August 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Tribe over UVA on Sept 3! CBS has UVA ranked #86 in FBS, while Tribe is top-5 FCS.

TwoFeathers
August 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Side note... I didn't realize Paulus had a torn labrum. I had the same, and couldn't imagine throwing full speed for one game, much less an entire season.

crossfire07
August 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Is Arkansas State not scheduled to play one of YOUR better Southland teams this season?

Like I said, they won't invite US. It is great that UCA is getting to play them. I will promise you that if UCA wins that game, they won't play them again for a very long time.

MSUBear42
August 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Missouri State over Oregon.

Take it to the bank!

crossfire07
August 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Take it to the bank!

You GO BIG DADDY!!!! lol

LIONFAN07
August 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM

We had a rough year last year and played ULM down to the wire at their place. We missed an extra point and lost. I felt we were just as good and if we played 10 times we win 5 games.

xbangx

crossfire07
August 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
They have not invited you back either have they? :)

Good ole ULM. They had one of the biggest attendance increases in the NCAA last year. 13,000 in 2009 up to 20,000 in 2010. AMAZING!

TheRevSFA
August 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
We beat ULM in 2003 and haven't had a return invite :(

msupokes1
August 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM
We beat ULM in 2002 and haven't been invited back either. We also beat ULL in 2007 after a 21 year absence and certainly have not been invited back.

elcid83
August 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Personally I think it sucks that our STATE SUPPORTED schools allow you and vermin to play them y'all being PRIVATE and all. These money games should be REQUIRED by law to take place between the STATE schools.

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard Citdog. This is football, not welfare. The Tigers and the Gamecocks can play whoever they want to.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

bojeta
August 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Take it to the bank!

You funny!

elcid83
August 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I can't think of any reason why Gardner-Webb should be scared of either Ohio U or Wake Forest. Back to back Ws over FBS schools should look pretty good on the resume.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

asumike83
August 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I understand the sentiment in regards to getting games against local FBS teams as well. I'd love for Appalachian to play UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, East Carolina, etc. on a regular basis. However, can you really blame them? If they win, great. They were supposed to win. If they lose, a loss to an in-state FCS program is a black eye for their reputation and it sets them back. Why not give that paycheck to somebody else that is a definite win?

crossfire07
August 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Sure it benefits them financially because that is that much less they have to pay in an attempt to win a game and maybe get some people to come see their games. A big time program that was 4-8 last year with an average attendance of about 17,000 tells me they need any win they can get at the cheapest price possible. They will lose to UCA and once again prove just how pathetic the Sun Belt is.

bojeta
August 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I promise you that if Arkansas State completely destroys Central Arkansas, that Arkansas State STILL won't schedule UCA for a very long time. See, you have to understand something. There is nothing financially beneficial for FBS schools to play FCS teams. There are NO financial benefits. None. Many FBS schools schedule FCS teams because they cannot get a desired FBS team in place on the schedule or they will schedule local to encourage a good attendance. Other than that, unless you're an AQ Power $ix conference school or a Boise State, you are practically assured to lose money off of scheduling an FCS opponent.

I beg to differ.... The theory from their perspective goes: We can count an FCS win. Schedule one, pay them $200K - $500K (depending on the FBS team) and hopefully guarantee 6 DI wins. Get invited to a bowl game and rake in millions!! That's quite a financial incentive!

TheRevSFA
August 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
UCA is picked as one of the favorites in the Southland. stAte is just glad to have a football team...they're horrible. They need any sort of cheap win they can get, and they should have scheduled Nicholls State if they wanted a sure thing. The U of Arkansas has a policy that they will not play any other Division I school in football, so in order for the fans in Arkansas to see in state games, these have to happen. This game will probably fill up ASU stadium..maybe not a complete sell out, but pretty close.

crossfire07
August 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Get invited to a bowl game and rake in millions!! That's quite a financial incentive!

Millions is way past the Sun Belt league. They don't make much or probably lose money on the kind of bowls they attend. With bowl game attendance dropping, they lost over 85,0000 in attendance last year compared to the year before, those smaller bowls will see less and less chance to make a profit.

McNeese72
August 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Get invited to a bowl game and rake in millions!!

LOL! Not anymore with the minor bowls. The payout to the teams consists mainly of tickets to sell. If you sell all your tickets, you might make some money. If not, tough luck. A lot of teams going to minor bowls actually lose money.

Doc

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I promise you that if Arkansas State completely destroys Central Arkansas, that Arkansas State STILL won't schedule UCA for a very long time. See, you have to understand something. There is nothing financially beneficial for FBS schools to play FCS teams. There are NO financial benefits. None. Many FBS schools schedule FCS teams because they cannot get a desired FBS team in place on the schedule or they will schedule local to encourage a good attendance. Other than that, unless you're an AQ Power $ix conference school or a Boise State, you are practically assured to lose money off of scheduling an FCS opponent.

Not true. When an FBS school schedules another FBS school, especially of similar earning power, they typically must engage in a home and home. FBS schools schedule FCS schools because they get home games with no return away game, and an extra home game reaps a ton of profit.

It makes sense for Penn State to schedule an "extra" home game each year with a FCS school because they have 104,000 in the seats even for an FCS squad. If Penn State goes out and schedules a school like Colorado or West Virginia they have to return the trip and give up a potential home date. The extra money made from the home date more than makes up for the few hundred grand they pay to the FCS team. If a school like Penn State can get a home game with a Big 6 conference team with a return trip, like they did with Oregon State a few years ago, they will jump at the opportunity. Unfortunantly those opportunities are rather rare.

katstrapper
August 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Would a SHSU win over New Mexico really be considered an upset?xlolxxlolxxlolx

think about this.... SHSU beats New Mexico, Tx State and UTSA we would be 2-0 against the WAC and 1-0 against MWC.. ha ha ha

frozennorth
August 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Alabama could fall asleep and most FBS teams still couldnt beat them. The difference in talent between Alabama and Nebraska is substantial.

I'm sorry, what?

frozennorth
August 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM

ndsu beat them by thirty, the year cmu won 10 games and the MAC championship with, I believe, Brian Kelly as coach. So yeah you got a shot, and then some.

bojeta
August 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Millions is way past the Sun Belt league. They don't make much or probably lose money on the kind of bowls they attend. With bowl game attendance dropping, they lost over 85,0000 in attendance last year compared to the year before, those smaller bowls will see less and less chance to make a profit.

Wow! I should have researched this a bit. You're not only correct, you understated the problem!! Check this out:

Bowl Game Revenue ($mil) Expenses ($mil) Profit ($mil)
Advocare 100 Independence 0.8 0.8 -0.1
Allstate Sugar 12.8 13.2 -0.5
at&t Cotton 11.3 9.8 1.4
AutoZone Liberty 6.1 6.1 0.0
Bridgepoint Holiday/Credit Union Poinsettia 7.0 6.7 0.3
Capital One 11.9 11.7 0.2
Champs Sports 5.9 5.7 0.2
Chick-fil-A 17.3 15.3 2.0
Discover Orange 40.8 34.4 6.4
Franklin American Music City 5.2 5.4 -0.2
Go Daddy 3.3 3.2 0.1
Hyundai Sun 5.6 5.9 -0.3
Insight 5.2 5.1 0.1
Kraft Fight Hunger 3.6 3.4 0.2
Military 2.3 2.1 0.2
Outback 10.0 10.0 0.0
Progressive Gator 10.9 9.9 1.1
R+L Carriers New Orleans 2.1 2.0 0.1
Rose presented by Vizio 50.6 50.9 -0.3
Tostitos Fiesta 17.6 15.8 1.8
uDrove Humanitarian 1.9 1.9 0.0
Valero Alamo 7.6 6.7 0.9
Totals 239.6 226.0 13.7
Averages 10.9 10.3 0.6
Note: Figures for Birdgepoint Holiday Bowl and Credit Union Poinettia Bowl are combined
because they share the same committee.
Source: SportsBusiness Journal.

Number one problem cited: Executive compensation!!!!

crossfire07
August 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Wrong. The schools absorbs enormous operating costs and paying staff for games. Tickets against FCS schools are also generally cheaper. FBS schools schedule FCS teams for the win. They know they are going to lose money by playing FCS schools.

I have never been to an FBS game where the ticket was cheaper because they was playing FCS McNeese. If a FBS school loses money because they play an FCS team then it is because they suck and nobody goes to their games so they lose money no matter who they play. I mean really, how can a FBS school make a profit when only 10 or 12,000 go to a game? I suppose you have the experiance, thats why you posted such a comment but I know I can't ever remember going to a FBS house where we played at and it not being full and them losing money except at Tulane in the Superdome, it was not full. When we was at LSU last year, it was the 18th most attended game in Tiger Stadium history. Only something like 525 people short from being the biggest crowd.LSU hardly lost money on that. I just don't agree that FBS schools lose money just because they play a FCS school. You have any links to share on that?

crossfire07
August 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hell Yeah Bojeta, the people putting on the game are going to make their money. They don't give a rats *** if the school goes in the hole or not!

dgtw
August 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Most major FBS schools require you to make a big donation in order to buy tickets. People paying a bunch of cash to begin with aren't going to blink about forking over another $60 for a pair of tickets to the FCS game when they are buying tickets for every other game against the conference rivals.

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Wrong. The schools absorbs enormous operating costs and paying staff for games. Tickets against FCS schools are also generally cheaper. FBS schools schedule FCS teams for the win. They know they are going to lose money by playing FCS schools.

Nope- Penn State tickets are over $50 a pop, and the same price for all games. You are talking about over 5 million in revenue just from ticket sales. Add parking and concessions and the revenue numbers go up even more. You pay an FCS team 400k or so. An extra home game makes a lot of mone for schools with high attendance period.

Your arguement doesnt make sense.

McNeese72
August 12th, 2011, 09:28 PM
You are wrong in the cases of the bigger BCS teams like LSU. They make make tons of money scheduling that extra home game with a FCS team. More than they would by scheduling a non-BCS FBS team like Middle Tenn St. because they don't have to pay as much of a guarantee to a FCS team as they would with the minor FBS teams. The big schools make money with extra home games even when paying out guarantees. Things might be different at the lower FBS teams like the ones in the Sunbelt.

Doc

Hood
August 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I might actually buy into this one.I knew you Lumberjacks were good for something :D

Docxthumbsupx I take back all the McNeese jokes from over the years.

I would love that to happen ULL is a joke at FBS. We need that and the Lions to take down the Greenies. We have been close in past years but maybe this year is our year. Show the state that the FCS schools are as strong as the wannabe FBS schools in Louisiiana. (ULL, Tulane, LA Tech, ULM)Hope you guys do beat Tulane. Only find myself rooting against SLU once a year due to family ties.

Nah..not even close.xlolx

Wait a second. A team that went 4-7 in the Southland with blowout losses to San Diego State, Western Michigan, and brand new South Alabama is supposed to beat a team that it has never beaten?

Louisiana-Lafayette has had more six-win teams in the 2000's than Nicholl's State. I don't see a team that plays with 83 scholarships and typically is a spoiler for the Sun Belt championship game losing to a Southland team that has done really nothing for over a decade--much less than UL-Lafayette.Well, I don't mean to question your reading abilities but the thread title did say "upsets" which usually means an "inferior" team beats a "superior" team.

Well, I was listening until you used ULL and championship in the same sentence then you lost me.
DocThat's like saying Rosanne Barr was a top five "Star Spangled Banner" singer

No, but I think way too many people get orgasmic highs from hating on the Sun Belt Conference--people like yourself. I believe the Sun Belt is an improving league, and I believe all of their members have gained from where they were in their previous affiliations before being a part of this league.I disagree. The Sun Belt is not improving in my eyes. And they perceived "hate" is really just a matter of enjoying ex-Southland members eating crow from all the trash they talk about being "big time" but then losing to 35-0 (or more) to the SEC/Big 12 squads. I remember a few year stretch where the SBC champ would open the season 0-4 to BCS squads before ripping through conference. North Texas was that team IIRC.

Aside from the occasional upset, the SBC seldom wins against OOC opponents in FBS, and when they do expect them to do jumping jacks to get your attention to point it out.

(also for the record, ULL fans are borderline more obnoxious than LSU fans, with a LOT less to back up their boisterous yapping)

Lighten up bro, you seem to be taking things too seriously.

Hate the Sun Belt? Not at all. We wish they would invite us to play in their big time houses more often but for some reason they won't. I wonder why that is? Anyways, how you like that deer in the headlights?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/fxdci/2ull07gscore.jpgI like going to Sunbelt games. Their fans make me nostalgic for the days when making fun of Jerry Springer guests was all the rage. I too wish they'd invite us over more. Plus the road trips are a lot closer than them pesky games in Michigan and California.

Is Arkansas State not scheduled to play one of YOUR better Southland teams this season?I'm still waiting for NSU to get another crack at them 10 years later. The last game there was fun.:p

crossfire07
August 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I disagree. The Sun Belt is not improving in my eyes. And they perceived "hate" is really just a matter of enjoying ex-Southland members eating crow from all the trash they talk about being "big time" but then losing to 35-0 (or more) to the SEC/Big 12 squads. I remember a few year stretch where the SBC champ would open the season 0-4 to BCS squads before ripping through conference. North Texas was that team IIRC.
(also for the record, ULL fans are borderline more obnoxious than LSU fans, with a LOT less to back up their boisterous yapping)

ULL not scoring a touchdown in Tiger Stadium has to play hell on their ego especially after watching a FCS team they won't play anymore go in and draw first blood and be up 7-0 on the Tigers in Death Valley.

crossfire07
August 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
You never know. We just might lose to them but we are not spending hundreds of millions of dollars to put on a show for our ego. So what is the name of your dog in this hunt? I see you have what looks to be a BYU helmet. Do you even have a FCS team or are you just a troll?

DJKyR0
August 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
You know what? Football season is three weeks away - enough of the "tread lightly on predicting upsets" business. NDSU over Minnesota, mark it down.

crossfire07
August 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
How does it feel to lose to South Alabama? Future Sun Belt with a brand new football team? Congratulations on beating one of the worst teams Arkansas State has fielded in their entire history (2-9 under the fired Joe Hollis). It was also the worst attended game for Arkansas State that season, so why play an FCS school that has consistently shown to produce losing records?

Whether they were 2-9 or 4-8 last year still shows how bad they still are and have made no improvement. At least NSU can pull off upset wins in their own league.The best thing Arkansas State has to be excited about is beating Florida Atlantic in front of 13,000 screaming fans.

crossfire07
August 13th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Arkansas State knocked off Texas A&M just three short years ago. Apparently, Arkansas State went 6-6 that year. Let's see here. According to data taken from College Football Datawarehouse, it should appear that McNeese State has never beaten a team from the Big XII conference. Only game against A&M was in 2001, which was, of course, a loss.

They beat an A&M team that also lost to Baylor. It isn't like they beat a damn good football team. McNeese lost to A&M and it was a very competitive game. It took A&M 4 quarters to win that game after trailing at half time. It has taken 11 years for them to invite us back and I am looking forward to the trip next year.

BEAR
August 13th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I think my Bears are going to beat Arkansas State this year. Thought so before ASU lost QB butterfield and a lineman today at their preseason scrimmage. But that's just how I see it anyway.

Hood
August 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
How does it feel to lose to South Alabama?Stinks to lose to any team. Whole season stunk as a whole with the losing record and what not. Growing pains with a new offense will do that to you.
Future Sun Belt with a brand new football team? I do believe the name of this website is "Any Given Saturday" for a reason there champ.
Congratulations on beating one of the worst teams Arkansas State has fielded in their entire history (2-9 under the fired Joe Hollis).Thanks! We were really happy about it. No matter how you angle it, we were still out manned 85-63 on scholarships.
It was also the worst attended game for Arkansas State that season There's a holiday in this country called Thanksgiving. Maybe you've heard of it? Well, it was held on that day. It's pretty important to a lot of Americans, moreso than a end of the season football game with no playoff/bowl implications.
so why play an FCS school that has consistently shown to produce losing records?Same reason the NFL plays preseason games - they count for jack yet for some reason the fans get excited for a win regardless. Plus the way I hear it the "money" games are great confidence boosters for the FBS squads.

Anyway, as I said this thread is to predict UPSETS yet you apparently got sand in your underpants over 2 schools you have no connection to. Not sure why you're so cranky. Is this a picture of you? http://blog.cleveland.com/sun/intermission_impact/2009/01/large_Clint_Eastwood_Gran_Torino.jpg

crossfire07
August 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I think my Bears are going to beat Arkansas State this year. Thought so before ASU lost QB butterfield and a lineman today at their preseason scrimmage. But that's just how I see it anyway.

I think they are going to beat them as well.

Big Dawg
August 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Not quite. North Dakota State did beat CMU by 30 in '07, but CMU didn't win 10 games and Brian Kelly was not their coach. They did go to a bowl game that year, and lost it. However, North Dakota State isn't a member of the MEAC. Sorry, but HBCU's do not typically do well against FBS teams because they don't play FBS teams that often. They typically play each other, and they don't get the experience of playing FBS teams. I'll be very surprised if Central Michigan loses to HBCU South Carolina State.

That's a lie...SCSU has actually played very well against FBS schools(a few years ago they almost beat UCF and trailed by three at halftime to Steve Spurrier and the South Carolina)...and MEAC schools do play a lot of FBS teams. FAMU faces a BCS team every season...this year we play USF and and we have a new contract against Miami(and I've heard rumors of Ohio State being mixed in). CMU is one of the weakest FBS teams that any MEAC school has faced in recent years.

Big Dawg
August 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
First off, I don't think you know what kind of team Central Michigan is going to field. Secondly, what year are you talking about too because South Carolina State has only played Central Florida once and lost that game 17-0! How is that almost beating them? In the game against South Carolina with which you are referring, the Gamecocks went on to win by 24 points showing you what happens to FCS teams when they go up against most FBS teams. . . . .depth plays a factor.

South Carolina is also 0-7 all time against current FBS teams. 2007 marked the first year that SCSU started playing FBS teams. They did play Louisiana Tech in 1982, but Tech was not an FBS (or 1-A for that timeframe) team at the time. I congratulate this HBCU for playing up a bit, but for the most part, I was right that HBCU's rarely play FBS teams.

Florida A&M has played a few FBS teams around 2003-2005. Outside of Miami, FL, your school really doesn't play FBS teams that often, and even then you've only played Miami nine times over the past 32 years. Outside of Miami, FL, your school has played no other FBS teams in the past five years. Your school didn't see any FBS teams in 2007 or 2008, and Miami was the only one your school faced in '06, '09, and '10 losing those three games by a combined score of 144-26.

As far as I can tell, FBS teams don't lose to HBCU schools very often. The MEAC is 3-11 all-time against current MAC teams: Akron's loss to Delaware State in 1987 which was also Akron's first season in formerly Division 1-A, Buffalo's loss to Morgan State in 1992 before Buffalo moved to 1-A in 1999, and Florida A&M's forfeited win over Temple in 1986.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be a close game, but I'd be very surprised if Central Michigan lost the game all the same.

SCSU also played Air Force and when they played UCF they were down 7-0 until the 4th quarter....we always play Miami(and this year we play USF)...we also played an almost all I-A schedule in 2003...the point is your statement about MEAC schools not playing FBS schools is false. The argument of whether we'll beat them isn't the issue becuase that RARELY happens. Besides why would we fill our schedule up with FBS teams...we still have FCS non-conference games to play.

This is the statement that was false ----->"but HBCU's do not typically do well against FBS teams because they don't play FBS teams that often. They typically play each other, and they don't get the experience of playing FBS teams."

JohnStOnge
August 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM
On the McNeese at Kansas thing: The bad thing is that North Dakota State beat Kansas last year and that hurts. But this might be the first time McNeese gets a shot to play a bad BCS league team. To date the worst record among BCS league teams McNeese has played is 7-7 by Nebraska in 2002. Kansas was 3-8 last year. McNeese has no wins over FBS teams but has played very respectably at times. Other times not so much. Doc mentioned Missouri and LSU last year. Missouri was a debacle but McNeese gave LSU all it wanted and the game was much more competetive than the final score suggested as LSU got a cosmetic TD late at bench clearing time.

Physically this has the potential to be by far the most winnable game McNeese has played against a BCS league opponent.

GAD
August 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM

not true, I promise you Tulane or UL-L didn't lose a dime when they played Southern. And if U of Houston lost money it was because a hurricane hit Baton Rouge that week, and people would not leave there homes.

Hood
August 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
McNeese has no wins over FBS teams but has played very respectably at times. I hate to be the one to correct you on this statement, but I think you might want to recheck that fact.

(I'm banking on the idea that you meant BCS, though)

McNeese75
August 15th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I hate to be the one to correct you on this statement, but I think you might want to recheck that fact.

(I'm banking on the idea that you meant BCS, though)

Yep

McNeese75
August 15th, 2011, 09:00 AM
not true, I promise you Tulane or UL-L didn't lose a dime when they played Southern. And if U of Houston lost money it was because a hurricane hit Baton Rouge that week, and people would not leave there homes.

I agree, his statement is BS. We know what SU brings to a game the the McNeese games I attend against FBS teams are as well atteneded as the average crowd they usually attend. I have never noticed a cheaper ticket being being sold.