PDA

View Full Version : CCU Asks 'What's Next?'

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
The dream season of a year ago came to an end with the 'super safety', but it seems everyone affiliated with CCU is looking forward to this coming year's season when the Chants hope to make another run at an I-AA playoff berth. Interestingly enough, Bennett met with BCS national championship head coach Mack Brown of Texas...

CCU football looks ahead to next fall
TERRY MASSEY
SPORTS COLUMNIST

The Coastal Carolina University football team is no longer asking "What if?" It has moved on to "What's next?"

More than four months after the Chanticleers' dream season came to a nightmare ending with a 34-27 double overtime loss at Charleston Southern, CCU was back on the spring practice field Thursday night.

Chilly temperatures, intermittent rain and mist and the desire to erase bad memories and replace them with good ones made the two-hour workout seem more like fall football practice than spring training.

"We were way up here on a peak and then, boom, we were way down here in a valley," said CCU coach Dave Bennett, referring to the infamous "super safety" play that cost the Chants a 10-1 record and first-ever berth to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. "What do you do when bad things happen? You put a smile on your face and go back to work."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/14174922.htm

OL FU
March 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
It is obvious I am pulling for them to do well. But in 2006, they have FU and SCST at home, Wofford and GaSU (a tip of the hat to Grambling:D ) away. I think they have to win two of those and sweep the rest, still hoping for the cards to fall right, to get into the playoffs.

MYTAPPY
March 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
It is obvious I am pulling for them to do well. But in 2006, they have FU and SCST at home, Wofford and GaSU (a tip of the hat to Grambling:D ) away. I think they have to win two of those and sweep the rest, still hoping for the cards to fall right, to get into the playoffs.

Im with you OL FU, I hope they do well too. Its only win they play App that I cheer against them.

Bulldog87
March 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM
CCU plays at Grambling this year? When?

MarkCCU
March 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM
hey OL, my uncle is a FU graduate and my cousin and I are CCU grads so we are hosting a HUGE tailgating party. make sure you are there lol

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM
CCU plays at Grambling this year? When?

Nope, do not play at Grambling...

I think it was in reference to a GaSU vs Grambling game not coming to reality, so CCU got a game against GA Southern...

OL FU
March 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Nope, do not play at Grambling...

I think it was in reference to a GaSU vs Grambling game not coming to reality, so CCU got a game against GA Southern...

The reference was to the continual argument over who is GSU and I tipped my hat to Grambling's claim to GSU

OL FU
March 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
hey OL, my uncle is a FU graduate and my cousin and I are CCU grads so we are hosting a HUGE tailgating party. make sure you are there lol

I am planning on it. My Sister and brother-in-law (who is a FU alum) live in Conway. I have reservedt their spare bedroom. for the weekend:)

rokamortis
March 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I think you are right. We'll have to be at least 9-2. Even then we will likely need to win At GSU or at home against FU to be taken seriously.

OL FU
March 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I think you are right. We'll have to be at least 9-2. Even then we will likely need to win At GSU or at home against FU to be taken seriously.

I think 9-2 with close losses at GaSU and Furman would do it. But alot depends on what happens around the rest of the country

Kill'em
March 25th, 2006, 11:00 PM
The reference was to the continual argument over who is GSU and I tipped my hat to Grambling's claim to GSU
Just spell out "Georgia Southern." There's no confusion in that.:smiley_wi

OL FU
March 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Just spell out "Georgia Southern." There's no confusion in that.:smiley_wi

But then I would lose the irritation factor:D

Kill'em
March 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM
But then I would lose the irritation factor:D
Don't worry, you'll always be irritatingxlolx

OL FU
March 26th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Don't worry, you'll always be irritatingxlolx

At least I will always try:D

X-Factor
March 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think 9-2 with close losses at GaSU and Furman would do it. But alot depends on what happens around the rest of the country

9-2 would be questionable, really depending on how the games go and who they lose to, and who is actually good next year. The problem is they are in such a weak league that it really hurts them when the selection committee is deciding on who gets the at-large bids. Hopefully the SoCon will give them an invite in the next few years.

rokamortis
March 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
9-2 would be questionable, really depending on how the games go and who they lose to, and who is actually good next year. The problem is they are in such a weak league that it really hurts them when the selection committee is deciding on who gets the at-large bids. Hopefully the SoCon will give them an invite in the next few years.

Hopefully the Big South as a whole will be improved this year. Liberty is really excited about the new staff and recruits / transfers - they think this is the catalyst needed to bring the program around. Charleston Southern looks to continue the quality of play demonstrated in the second half of last year after a disappointing beginning. Not too sure about Gardner-Webb but I expect them to be better than last year. VMI is a big questionmark, but the new staff should introduce some energy to the squad. All of the schools need to win more of the OOC games. But ... I had these same hopes for 2005 too.

MarkCCU
March 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I think as a whole, in the past 3 or 4 years, the Big South has been slowly improving. VMI, I think, will definetly show some improvement with some new"energy". CSU is coming off thier first winning season and a Big South Co-Championship that will fuel the fire , regarless of the fact that many of the playmakers of last season were seniors and I think they all graduated. As for Coastal, well 9-2 sounds like our best bet. I would love to see us beat a big SOCON team, maybe FU.

Kill'em
March 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
As long as it's not Georgia Southern.:D

rokamortis
March 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I think as a whole, in the past 3 or 4 years, the Big South has been slowly improving. VMI, I think, will definetly show some improvement with some new"energy". CSU is coming off thier first winning season and a Big South Co-Championship that will fuel the fire , regarless of the fact that many of the playmakers of last season were seniors and I think they all graduated. As for Coastal, well 9-2 sounds like our best bet. I would love to see us beat a big SOCON team, maybe FU.

Unfortunately Chuck South brings back most of their playmakers.

Head coach Jay Mills, beginning his fourth season at the school, welcomed 86 players, including 16 returning starters, to the start of drills. The Buccaneers will work a few days per week for the next four weeks, concluding with the annual Blue-Gold scrimmage in the stadium on April 8.

Offensively the Buccaneers return the 2005 Big South Offensive Player of the Year in senior quarterback Collin Drafts. In only three seasons, Drafts has broken every school career record for passing and total offense and enters his final season with 7,103 yards passing and 52 touchdowns. Drafts threw for 2,544 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, completing 61 percent of his attempts.

Three starters along the offensive line return in juniors Troy James and Rick Howell, and sophomore Alex Bragg. The top two rushers from a year ago, Andre Copeland and Robert Adams, also return. Copeland, a sophomore, gained 721 yards and scored seven touchdowns last season while Adams, a rising senior, gained 356 yards and averaging nearly six yards per rushing attempt.

CSU also returns its top three receivers, led by Maurice Price, who caught 72 passes for 1,043 yards in eight games as a sophomore. Sophomore Markus Murry caught 33 passes as a true freshman and senior Drew Rucks caught 29 passes after transferring from Purdue University before last season.

Defensively, the Buccaneers will work hard in the spring to find replacements and depth along the defensive line but the linebacking corps and secondary will be stronger than ever. Returning with experience along the defensive front are ends Tyrese Harris (sophomore) and Phil Jordan (senior), and nose guard Brett Bowdren, a senior.

CSU returns the top four tacklers from last season, led by junior linebacker Jada Ross, who tallied 128 stops and earned the 2005 Big South Defensive Player of the Year honor. Fellow linebackers Josh Mitchell and Jonna Lee, both juniors, totaled 86 and 62 tackles, respectively, last season. Lee led the team with 11 tackles for loss.

Anchoring the secondary will be fourth-year starting senior Marvin McHellon at cornerback and junior free safety C.J. Hirschman, who was fourth on the team in tackles last season with 58 total hits. Corners Okeba Rollinson and Jonathan Carmon also return, while sophomore bandit Mike McCann returns after missing all of last season with an injury.

CSU’s special teams will be in good hands again in 2006 as well. Junior Nick Ellis connected on seven field goals and 35 extra points last season while sophomore Hart Pearson averaged 37.4 yards per punt a year ago.

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/article.asp?articleID=1061

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Reminds of the lyrics to an old Allman Brothers song.

"Cuz I got dreams, I'm never gonna see":D

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM

everyone has to have a dream

CSU BUCS
March 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
"CSU is coming off thier first winning season and a Big South Co-Championship that will fuel the fire , regarless of the fact that many of the playmakers of last season were seniors and I think they all graduated."

Not true, the only players lost are 2 from the D-line 2 from the o-line and one DB.

MYTAPPY
March 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
"CSU is coming off thier first winning season and a Big South Co-Championship that will fuel the fire , regarless of the fact that many of the playmakers of last season were seniors and I think they all graduated."

Not true, the only players lost are 2 from the D-line 2 from the o-line and one DB.

Props to you Charleston Southern...You always seem to give the Chants trouble. The Big South will rise again!!

BigApp
March 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Reminds of the lyrics to an old Allman Brothers song.

that's Molly Hatchet, but I get your point

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM
that's Molly Hatchet, but I get your point

Molly Hatchet covered it:D

and a damn fine cover:nod:

The Gadfly
March 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I've got a weird feeling that we are not going to do well next season. Maybe it's just the bird flu known as the "Chicken Curse" that seems to run rampant in SC.
xpumpukex :smiley_wi

I can see Liberty make a run for the Huge South next season with the momentum that they are carrying from the new staff and admin support.

Charleston Southern is amazing with the turn around that they had after the tragedy last season. I can still see the Gadson (sp?) Rally continuing in 2006. Keep up the good work Bucs! :bow:

:nonono2: VMI...VMI...VMI... The once proud program from Lexington just keeps slipping. I am hoping that this season will be the turn around, but that's what I said last season. xcoffeex

My Alma Mater's squad might still be in the clouds even after the loss to the Bucs and not making the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong. :o

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
4 Players can make a difference..and i wasn't sure on the exact count. but it don't matter,CSU will have an excellent year I think and hopefully they can continue to [perform well

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Gadfly, I see you are online. Whts up, how was Savannah?

rokamortis
March 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM
My Alma Mater's squad might still be in the clouds even after the loss to the Bucs and not making the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong. :o

I hope you are wrong too.

If not I'll be doing a lot of this :bang:

The Gadfly
March 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Gadfly, I see you are online. Whts up, how was Savannah?

Good and I might be moving down there due to a new job. If you, or any other LEO, needs a place to stay for the Ga. Southern game give me a call. lalalalalalalalala!

I forgot about GDubb which is a sign :cool: . The big boys of the Little South seem to be having trouble finding hired thugs. I just hope they don't follow that VMI route. :(

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Word. I get off work at 8. expect a call

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

The Gadfly
March 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM
What's next for Coastal should be extentions to the library and the science building. I love sports and all but I think it's time to get back to the academic buildings. We don't want to end up like Winthrop. :D

rokamortis
March 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM
What's next for Coastal should be extentions to the library and the science building. I love sports and all but I think it's time to get back to the academic buildings. We don't want to end up like Winthrop. :D

I don't think anyone has forgotten about the academic needs - but athletics are helping people notice CCU. Have you seen the master plan? Most of the changes call for academic expansion. We just need the state to step up and help us out more. We do badly need a new science building.