PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better?

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Would you rather your program upset a major BCS program on television, or win the FCS National Championship?

I-16Bandit
August 5th, 2011, 05:49 PM
You know what? I think that this is actually an excellent question.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
After 6 NC's, I can say that a win over UGA next year would be bigger than all 6 combined for the school.

Gil Dobie
August 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
NC over FBS top 5 :)

Mountaineer
August 5th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Already knocked off the BCS team, and as awesome as it was (and is), finishing off the 2007 season with a national championship was just as magical.

Sure, ASU has gotten way more publicity mileage out of Michigan than winning the championships, but having the trophies is more meaningful, IMO. xnodx

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/NC_TrophiesASU.jpg

darell1976
August 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM
National title!!!!

GSU EAGLES
August 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Kind of hard to answer.

Are you talking about a win over a top 10 program like App's win over Michigan and JMU's win over Va Tech or are we talking a win like Jax St over Ole Miss.

I'd take a win over a top 15 program over a national title, but anything beyond that I would take the national title.

With that said, I don't recall the Sun Belt having a win over a team that finished in the top 15. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Tuscon
August 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM
People still know who Jacksonville State is because of that win. Like it or not, FCS is not as popular among the masses. It's got to be a good spike in publicity to beat a BCS-Level team. Plus, chances are pretty good that you have a NC caliber team if you are beating BCS-Level teams anyway.

GSU EAGLES
August 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
People still know who Jacksonville State is because of that win. Like it or not, FCS is not as popular among the masses. It's got to be a good spike in publicity to beat a BCS-Level team. Plus, chances are pretty good that you have a NC caliber team if you are beating BCS-Level teams anyway.

Jax St lost soundly to Wofford in the first round of the playoffs last year after beating Ole Miss.

Tuscon
August 5th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Well I never said it was a guarantee. Any Given Saturday, right?

GSUsTALON
August 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM
A National Championship for sure. A game is but a game but a NC is forever, but I’m greedy and want both.

GSUsTALON
August 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Jax. State had one glory day but could not compete in the playoff against its top seeded peers. The win was moot. Guess that one win didn’t mean much after all.

I-16Bandit
August 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Jax. State had one glory day but could not compete in the playoff against its top seeded peers. The win was moot. Guess that one win didn’t mean much after all.

I think that if you are going to have a big win, you have to follow through and win the NC for that big win to have a big impact.

GSUsTALON
August 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I think that if you are going to have a big win, you have to follow through and win the NC for that big win to have a big impact.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saint3333
August 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Before 2005 I would have said a national title, but now I'm not sure that a win over VT would mean more for the program than a national title. It would actually be better for the FCS is someone would defeat a top 10 BCS opponent and then lose in the semis or finals of the playoffs.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 5th, 2011, 06:58 PM
If you think it is tough to answer this poll question, then just reword it like this: Would you rather have been Jax St. or E. Wash. last year?

If you answered Jax St., you are wrong.

TheBisonator
August 5th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I would take a win over a top-25 BCS team over a national championship, but not a win over a regular, non-ranked BCS team.

I loved our win over Kansas last year and the Minnesota win, but I would have rather seen a national championship over those.

So in order:

1) Win over ranked BCS team
2) FCS National Championship
3) Win over non-ranked BCS team

4) Missouri Valley championship
5) Win over any FBS team

Jacked_Rabbit
August 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Bisonator,

If this is true:

1) Win over ranked BCS team
2) FCS National Championship

Hypothetically speaking, you'd rather 1) beat #24 ranked Minnesota and finish 3rd in the MVFC than 2) lose to #24 Minnesota and win the 2015 FCS National Championship?

If so, you're trippin'...

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Winning a NC means everything. Beating a BCS is a nice flash in the pan thing and I would take it but I would never cherish that like a NC over a field of the top teams in the division my team competes in.

Beating a big time team and not winning the NC would be hollow to me...a consolation prize at best.

I can see what some people are made of by what they value..."the publicity, the recognition by others" that's all fine & dandy but it sure isn't what I cherish.

To put it in musical analogy terms....

GSU-The Rolling Stones
App State-The Beatles
Youngstown-Alice In Chains
Montana-Guns N' Roses
Delaware/JMU/Etc..-George Thorogood and The Destroyers

Teams like Jax St. & others which have that one big win but were not able to carry it through and win the NC-The Divinyl's

Not hackin' on Jax St. or anyone else but they need to win the NC to hit that next level and the one hit wonder is something but not comparable to the NC's.

GSUsTALON
August 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
One regular season win does not a NATIONAL CHAMPION make!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Before 2005 I would have said a national title, but now I'm not sure that a win over VT would mean more for the program than a national title. It would actually be better for the FCS is someone would defeat a top 10 BCS opponent and then lose in the semis or finals of the playoffs.

JMU would have had a shot if not for Boise and not even getting out of the CAA last year. That's pretty good too though.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
For those of you clamoring for a win over the bcs giant in your State be careful what you wish for. I wouldn't change one thing about beating the gamecocks 38-35 on 20 October 1990 other than the fact that they would not schedule us for 21 years. We meet again this season.

da_Bison
August 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
After 6 NC's, I can say that a win over UGA next year would be bigger than all 6 combined for the school.

You take away those 6 National titles and Georgia Southern is a NOBODY! You guys are legendary in 1AA/FCS for this, take it all away with a win over UGA in lets say 1995, and you'd still be nobodies. Come on Now

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
allow me to rephrase the question.

would you rather win the title or upset a top 25 BCS team THIS COMING SEASON on television?

cmaxwellgsu
August 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
As bad as I want another NC, beating Bama would probably be the catalyst for several years of NC's. It would probably also lead to tons of facility upgrads that would come slower with another championship. Then again, having six makes this easier to pick the BCS win.

I-16Bandit
August 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
You take away those 6 National titles and Georgia Southern is a NOBODY! You guys are legendary in 1AA/FCS for the this, take it all away with a win over UGA in lets say 1995, and you'd still be nobodies. Come on Now

I think what he meant by that was that after winning 6 NC's, look at where we are. If we beat UGA, things would start rolling a lot faster. Pretty much what cmaxwellgsu said. I don't think he meant that he'd rather beat UGA over never winning a NC.

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:22 PM
It is just a matter of preference. Our win over Ole Miss gave us more pub than EWU's NC but the NC would provide more personal glory. App's win over Michigan was made even bigger by App because of finishing the deal (NC). I would take our win over Ole Miss rather than a win over Va Tech or any ACC team other than FSU. In Alabama only the SEC is respected as a conference then a few other teams. (Texas, Okla, USC, Ohio State are a few of the exceptions)
Keep bashing us but we will screw up and win a playoff game before long.

Smitty
August 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Well if we beat a big named team like Alabama or Florida it would go down as the biggest upset in national history. But I would rather go for the national title just because we haven't had a winning season in years...

CropDuster
As bad as I want another NC, beating Bama would probably be the catalyst for several years of NC's. It would probably also lead to tons of facility upgrads that would come slower with another championship. Then again, having six makes this easier to pick the BCS win.

I think what he meant by that was that after winning 6 NC's, look at where we are. If we beat UGA, things would start rolling a lot faster. Pretty much what cmaxwellgsu said. I don't think he meant that he'd rather beat UGA over never winning a NC.

I agree. I think we are at the point of diminishing returns when it comes to NCs; beating a top tier SEC school would add more to our resume.

GSU EAGLES
It is just a matter of preference. Our win over Ole Miss gave us more pub than EWU's NC but the NC would provide more personal glory. App's win over Michigan was made even bigger by App because of finishing the deal (NC). I would take our win over Ole Miss rather than a win over Va Tech or any ACC team other than FSU. In Alabama only the SEC is respected as a conference then a few other teams. (Texas, Okla, USC, Ohio State are a few of the exceptions)
Keep bashing us but we will screw up and win a playoff game before long.

Has Ealey been kicked off the team yet?

ursus arctos horribilis
You take away those 6 National titles and Georgia Southern is a NOBODY! You guys are legendary in 1AA/FCS for the this, take it all away with a win over UGA in lets say 1995, and you'd still be nobodies. Come on Now

da_Bison, that's pure as it gets brother.

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Has Ealey been kicked off the team yet?
No but Tig is gone for now.
So far he has been a good addition and not causing any problems. From what I read, he had a suspended license (hit and run) and missed team meetings. Hell not a team in Alabama or the SEC could field a team if that is the litmus test.

Anyway if he can run a football I could careless what he is doing or has done. I buy tickets to watch good football not a choir boy.

HailSzczur
August 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
How about both like Villanova did in 2009? Ill take a win at Temple and trophy in Frisco again

GoAgs72
August 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Beating a BCS team because I think UC Davis can do it - we've beaten two in recent years (Stanford and San Jose State). Our chances of winning the national FCS championship are remote and I think we would might get more exposure from beating Arizona State this year.

HailSzczur
August 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM

been there done that

pike51
August 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
How about both like Villanova did in 2009? Ill take a win at Temple and trophy in Frisco again

Um... Temple sucks. If you don't beat Temple, you suck! ;)

coover
August 6th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Cal Poly has beaten major programs like San Diego State, New Mexico, and Texas El-Paso, and they came VERY CLOSE 3 years ago to beating Wisconsin. That game went into overtime after Poly missed two Points after Touchdown kicks and they missed a third in the overtime period, costing them the game. These wins (and the loss to Wisconsin) were nationally reported and helped to give Mustang Football a great reputation. Unfortunately, they've never gone beyond the second round of the playoffs.

This year they have two FBS games (neither will be televised nationally), both against teams that participated in Bowl games last year. They will be playing both San Diego State and Northern Illinois, both teams on the rise in the FBS. The games will be very tough.

Heres the deal: Cal Poly will probably have to win at least one of those games to even get into the playoffs. They only have 10 DI games this year (and an 11th with a DII team). Lose both games leaves 8 possible wins and they'll have to beat such teams as Montana, Eastern Washington, and South Dakota State even to be considered to make a playoff run for the National Championship.

So for Cal Poly, in order to win the National Championship this year (and they will have a much better team than most of you think, one that just might be able to win it), they almost certainly must beat a FBS team, too. The National Championship for Cal Poly goes through the FBS. They know it ... watch out San Diego State and Northern Illinois, the Mustangs are coming!

Screamin_Eagle174
August 6th, 2011, 03:17 AM
It's a tough one for me. As others have hit on, I think that a big upset over a big name or ranked BCS team creates a lot of buzz and gets a lot of press for the David who downs the Goliath. But I also think that feeds off how relevant they are in the FCS title chase, or how recently they've won the FCS title. I think EWU beating UW would be just as big if not bigger than the NC because not only are they our in state big brother, BCS Pac 12, and we're the first FCS/dropdown game they've ever played, but we are the defending National Champs in FCS, which the networks will latch onto when discussing the upset (should it happen). Being BSU's red-headed step-child doesn't hurt our publicity play either, should said upset take place. But if I had to choose, I'd like a repeat NC to solidify EWU as an elite FCS school. Although if we beat UW Sep 3, I think we're gonna have both. :D GO EAGS!!!

The Eagle's Cliff
August 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM

I agree. I think we are at the point of diminishing returns when it comes to NCs; beating a top tier SEC school would add more to our resume.

Thanks to I-16 and Crop Duster for clarifying and to da Bison for taking issue.

The 6 NC's are our identity, but beating a Top 10 BCS team would bring the alumni out of the woodwork like Michigan did for App. I've been travelling to Boone since the 90's and 2007 was the first time their game day came any where close to ours. They had the right leadership, but that Michigan win will be paying dividends for years.

I also have to point out that to the more casual Georgia Southern observer in-state, winning a I-AA NC might not be seen as being that difficult because of our quick and frequent success. 6 NC in 27 eligible years is one very 4.5 years. When we won our 6th, we averaged one every 2.8 years. Many of us agree our quick success was a little bit of a curse as well as a blessing when viewed in this context.

GSUsTALON
August 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
For those choosing ONE win over an FBS school vs. an FCS NATIONAL TITLE I will just have to agree to disagree. One game is one game and we don’t play in the FBS. The National Championship represents the total body of work put out over a 15 or 16 game season. These either or questions just rub me the wrong way. App.St. was just flat out good the year they beat Michigan and backed up that win with a FCS National Title and that’s what we all should strive for not one or the other.

Burn the Horse
August 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM
hey Talon, what if the question was limited to just this coming season?

GSUsTALON
August 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM
hey Talon, what if the question was limited to just this coming season?

Your question is actually a fair one but I tend to be an FCS purist. I love the playoffs and a chance to contend for our 7th national title. I see any FBS game as just another in our schedule & always believe that we have a chance to pull off the upset as long as we are well coached & have recruited well for the offensive and defensive schemes we run.

To answer your question - Only if there was NO chance of Georgia Southern getting into the Playoffs & if that were the case we really wouldn't be competitive against Alabama anyway. I look at beating an FBS team as a shallow win if your season isn’t good enough to get you into the playoffs and be a true NC contender. I wan Georgia Southern to be the best at our level, FCS, and an FBS win is just icing on the cake for me but does not take the place of being the FCS national champions

bojeta
August 6th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Well, the way things lined up for Cal Poly, they sort of have to knock off at least one of the two FBS teams they're playing or they probably won't be eligible due the D2 team in week 5 and a very tough schedule in and out of conference.

dgtw
August 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Beating a FBS team gets you national publicity. Nobody outside of your own circle really cares if you win the FCS national title. Everyone knows Appy St won in the Big House, but not many know they won the last game of the season three years in a row. Chaminade is still remembered for beating Virginia and Ralph Sampson, but nobody knows (or cares) they failed to become NAIA champs that season.

That being said, there is a lot of personal pride and achievement in winning the national championship. But there is also a huge thrill in beating one of the big boys.

My wife went to Jax State and was in Florence (before she had the good fortune of meeting me) when they won the DII title in the early 1990s. We were also in Oxford last year. I asked her which was more exciting and she said they were about even.

I think I undertsand her mindset. Around here, the only places that get any attention are Alabama and Auburn and other SEC schools. Beating Ole Miss (even though they weren't very good) gave the Gamecocks more publicity than they would have gotten even if they had won it all.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 7th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I think I undertsand her mindset. Around here, the only places that get any attention are Alabama and Auburn and other SEC schools. Beating Ole Miss (even though they weren't very good) gave the Gamecocks more publicity than they would have gotten even if they had won it all.

Copy, paste, and insert your home state in the SEC and it applies to all of us.

DTSpider
August 7th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Ask JMU from last season, beat VT and missed the playoffs. Which would they have rather had? As a fan I can celebrate for several weeks all of the playoff games and national title. Win big early in the year and then lose a bunch of games after and it is bittersweet.

blueballs
August 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM
This is a question that comes up with regularity among the GSU faithful.

The best way to answer it is to use a tenet from Pat Riley's book "The Winner Within."

To defeat an opponent in a big game where you are an overwhelming underdog in a one shot deal demonstrates excellent football. To sustain a level of play necessary to achieve a high national seed and then navigate the gauntlet of the playoffs to a championship demonstrates football excellence.

Excellent football can be lightning in a bottle and anybody is MOL capable of playing excellent football on any given Saturday.

Football excellence is a sustained excellence forged by hard work, dedication, teamwork, and mental toughness. It is when a team comes together and forms a synergy that creates a total greater than the sum of the parts over an extended period of time against all opponents in all circumstances, especially when the big money is on the table.

heath
August 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Not only was that a great win at VT,the payout was huge,but the Dukes already had a national title,UNC this year and another nice money maker in the works,

1andDone
August 7th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Since we are going the FBS route anyway, why not upset NC State?

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
This is a no brainer. Win the National Championship.

Tribal
August 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I noticed that fans of teams that have won a NC seem to lean toward the FBS win. W&M has beaten several FBS teams, some of them multiple times. I'll make it plain: I would rather W&M win the NC than beat the NE Patriots and USC Trojans in back-to-back weeks.

One of the UR fans said it best...JMU beat VT then lost a few in a row and missed the playoffs. I suspect that because they won the NC in 2004, they are okay with that.

I also understand that there are fans who expect their team to go to a FBS conference any day now. Those fans disrespect the FCS so winning a NC is viewed as a token accomplishment.

Burn the Horse
August 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
wanting to move up doesn't necessarily mean you are disrespecting the FCS. if your program has the ability to move up and the fans want it, then they are looking out for what is best for themselves. Now the move may prove to be a poor decision, but striving to continue climbing to the top of the overall college football mountain is natural.

Skjellyfetti
August 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
JMU would have had a shot if not for Boise

If not for Boise, JMU doesn't win that game.

jmufan999
August 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'm not reading thru 6 pages of this because I can predict what has probably happened: Different people interpret the word "better" differently.

To some, "better" means what makes them "feel" the best (emotionally). To others, it might be what gives more exposure to the school to the national media. To others, it might be what they perceive recruits will notice.

Lots of ways to analyze that word. To me, beating VT last year was far more important to recruiting than the national championship win. Not even close. But I wouldn't trade the national title for anything. The two are just different. A national title will NEVER get the kind of publicity that a big time FBS win will garner.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Beating a BCS team because I think UC Davis can do it - we've beaten two in recent years (Stanford and San Jose State). Our chances of winning the national FCS championship are remote and I think we would might get more exposure from beating Arizona State this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your Aggies plan to account for this man, Vontaze Burfict. That is, assuming he isn't suspended for the game after knocking a teammate out in the locker room after practice this weekend... hahaha

The dude is a lunatic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJCYhOdazE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jDyvvg4MY&feature=related

Silenoz
August 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
NC

The possible exception would be if we had an ASU-UM quality upset. That sort of thing can prop your program up for years/indefinitely, and help lead to later championships

eiu1999
August 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
NT

Burn the Horse
August 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM
NC

The possible exception would be if we had an ASU-UM quality upset. That sort of thing can prop your program up for years/indefinitely, and help lead to later championships

yes, a win over someone like USC or Oregon would be a huge boost for your Grizzlies.

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
BTH, I haven't read thru every page...but since you are a fan of the FBS world...how do you feel about crappy bowl games? Would you prefer there to be a playoff system initated in the FBS to help crown an actual national champion?

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Now does SJSU reallllly count as being FBS? That's like saying you beat WKU...or Texas State once they make the jump.

TwoFeathers
August 11th, 2011, 09:30 AM
FCS Championship. People forget about specific wins/losses, but a National Championship will live forever.

bojeta
August 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
yes, a win over someone like USC or Oregon would be a huge boost for your Grizzlies.

USC has a stated policy of never scheduling a non FBS opponent. I wish they would. I remember loving it the year they thought they were too good to play Fresno State in a bowl game and then Fresno whooped them!!! Fun times! Fun times!