PDA

View Full Version : All Eyes on QB at Montana St

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
We have a junior in Cory Carpenter, a transfer from the island of Hawaii in Jack Rolovich and then a freshman QB Colin Beeson. MSU head coach Mike Kramer is going with Carpenter, but seems very open to having Beeson or Rolovich fight for the QB spot. Hey, competition makes them all better, right? What's the word from the Bobcats of the North?

-------
It's not a secret, and Mike Kramer isn't about to turn it into one.

"All eyes will be on the quarterback," MSU's seventh-year head coach says as his team prepares to open spring camp on Monday, March 27. "Everyone will be watching the quarterback, everyone will be talking about the quarterback, all the focus will be on the quarterback."

Junior Cory Carpenter, who served as record-setting signal caller Travis Lulay's understudy for three seasons, enters camp as the only trigger man on the Bobcat roster who was in the program before Christmas. Carpenter completed two of his three passes for 51 yards last year in mop-up duty, but he inherits the mantle of next-great-thing by virtue of his limited experience.

Kramer recognizes that the bar at Carpenter's position has been set high. "We want the guys playing quarterback to be comfortable that if they make a mistake they can just go on to the next play, but we're not used to our quarterback making mistakes. We need those guys to relax, but we need them to perform at a high level." MSU's three quarterbacks vie to replace Lulay, who finished second in Big Sky history in total offense and led MSU to three Big Sky titles in his four seasons as the club's starting quarterback.

Hawaii transfer Jack Rolovich and freshman Colin Beeson join Carpenter under center. "Cory enters the spring as the number one," Kramer said. "He'll take the reps with the ones, and Jack and Colin will split reps with the twos. But we really consider this thing wide open. We'll evaluate every practice, every repetition."

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=1415

Tod
March 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Even as a Griz fan, I have to wish the 'Cats luck. I don't want to see them beat us again, but neither do I want to see them slide too much, if at all. Good competition fuels a good rivalry. :nod: :nod:

catbob
March 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Even as a Griz fan, I have to with the 'Cats luck. I don't want to see them beat us again, but neither do I want to see them slide too much, if at all. Good competition fuels a good rivalry. :nod: :nod:

Ummm? :confused:

Tod
March 24th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Ummm? :confused:

I don't understand your confusion. :confused: :confused:

March 24th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Wait until you hear what Coach has to say on I-AA WAVES about this...

catbob
March 24th, 2006, 02:06 AM
I don't understand your confusion. :confused: :confused:

Don't edit your sentence and make me look like a fool! Read what I have quoted. :hurray:

March 24th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Don't edit your sentence and make me look like a fool! Read what I have quoted. :hurray::argue: c'mon folks... spello police?????

catbob
March 24th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Anyway, on the subject - a majority of the Bobcat faithful believe Carpenter is ready to take the reigns from Lulay and is capable of such a tast. Rolovich has a very good shot as well, and supposedly has a cannon (I will attend spring practice next week and observe). Beeson I haven't heard much about, but was a pretty highly decorated HS recruit (greyshirted last year).

All in all, whomever comes out on top I believe will give the Bobcats an aerial threat, along with the talent at WR we should be bringing in.

Personally, I think Carpenter will be the starter at the beginning of the season - he has been in the system for 3 years (same OC). I wouldn't be surprised to see that change halfway through, however.

I have faith the Bobcats will be better than they were last year.

catbob
March 24th, 2006, 02:12 AM
:argue: c'mon folks... spello police?????

I don't nitpick spelling unless I have no idea what he is really trying to say.

"I with the Bobcats luck" made absolutely no sense to me, it never occured to me that he was trying to say wish.

Typos are fine if I can understand them. :D

March 24th, 2006, 02:13 AM
:) cool

GOKATS
March 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Wait until you hear what Coach has to say on I-AA WAVES about this...

I'll be tuned in.

Spring ball starts on Mon. and it should be a good competition for the QB slot.

DaGriz
March 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I have faith the Bobcats will be better than they were last year.

I like the Cats faith, but do you really feel you'll be better than last year? The only way I see that happening, and maybe it will, is if due to the loss of Lulay the Cats play more like a team and don't rely on just one person. The loss of a senior QB in college ball is huge, but when the QB is also one of the leading rushers and the punter on the team, plus you lost your top WR correct? That's a lot to over come. Like Tod said, I hope you have a good year, it makes for a better game in Nov. and when the Cats are good it fuels the rivalry, but I don't see the Cats being better after losing so much talent. I'll think they'll be lucky if they have the same record as last year.

Proud Griz Man
March 24th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Didn't MSU lose its defensive coordinator/best coach??? :eyebrow:

GOKATS
March 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Didn't MSU lose its defensive coordinator/best coach??? :eyebrow:

Yep, we lost our 'D' coord. to Boise St. The position was filled with a more than capable coach on staff who knows the 'D' scheme and players. 'Cats return 7 starters and 17 lettermen on 'D' so we should be in fine shape.

PDXCat
March 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I like the Cats faith, but do you really feel you'll be better than last year? The only way I see that happening, and maybe it will, is if due to the loss of Lulay the Cats play more like a team and don't rely on just one person. The loss of a senior QB in college ball is huge, but when the QB is also one of the leading rushers and the punter on the team, plus you lost your top WR correct? That's a lot to over come. Like Tod said, I hope you have a good year, it makes for a better game in Nov. and when the Cats are good it fuels the rivalry, but I don't see the Cats being better after losing so much talent. I'll think they'll be lucky if they have the same record as last year.

Here's a few reasons for the optimism that many of us share. You're right, losing a senior 4 year starter at qb is a tough one. But, we have a couple of rb's that will be good and a veteran ol to go with it (we lost 1 ol). We have some really good young te's who can block and catch. Our receiving corp has a couple of standout transfers - the kid from ASU is 6 2 and ran in the 4.4's for the scouts the other day and has 3 years of Pac 10 on field experience - Donnelly from UNLV was their #1 receiver last year at the start and was voted a team captain he has the potential to be the best receiver we've had since Jr Adams - our other receivers Lulay, Brown mainly, we do have a few rs frosh, have both been in the system for 2 years and are both good in their own right and we are suppose to have another transfer in the fall (I don't count him until he actually shows up, you know how some jc guys are). The offense should be more than adequate with the potential to be very good. I think we'll see a more balanced attack this year. But what has us really jacked is that our defense will be very good. Last years starting corners will have to battle to see the field, we have some great transfers that we'll get to look at, athletic linebackers, and experienced down lineman. As we all know, defense wins titles. An adequate offense and a superlative defense can take a team a long way.

DaGriz
March 24th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Here's a few reasons for the optimism that many of us share. You're right, losing a senior 4 year starter at qb is a tough one. But, we have a couple of rb's that will be good and a veteran ol to go with it (we lost 1 ol). We have some really good young te's who can block and catch. Our receiving corp has a couple of standout transfers - the kid from ASU is 6 2 and ran in the 4.4's for the scouts the other day and has 3 years of Pac 10 on field experience - Donnelly from UNLV was their #1 receiver last year at the start and was voted a team captain he has the potential to be the best receiver we've had since Jr Adams - our other receivers Lulay, Brown mainly, we do have a few rs frosh, have both been in the system for 2 years and are both good in their own right and we are suppose to have another transfer in the fall (I don't count him until he actually shows up, you know how some jc guys are). The offense should be more than adequate with the potential to be very good. I think we'll see a more balanced attack this year. But what has us really jacked is that our defense will be very good. Last years starting corners will have to battle to see the field, we have some great transfers that we'll get to look at, athletic linebackers, and experienced down lineman. As we all know, defense wins titles. An adequate offense and a superlative defense can take a team a long way.

I guess I'm a little gun shy after last year. I look at what happened to us last year as comparable to what the Cats have coming up. We had an up and coming QB and a transfer QB and a great running back. We had one senior WR coming back a transfer WR and all that added up to one of the weakest Griz teams we have had in quite a while. By the way, that Butte JC player you have transfering in should be a good player. Butte puts out some studs.

catbob
March 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Groves actually outrushed Lulay in the last few games, a first for a Bobcat running back for quite some time. :)

Punting is a concern I have no clue who will be doing that. I have heard that Ryan Force (S) will be doing a rollout punt similiar to Lulays, but what is the point if there is no fake threat (although he can run pretty well).

A good OL, solid running game, and a good defense (with Groves, and the staff is also very high on Isiah Taito) will help break in any new QB. We may struggle to put points on early, but I think there is no reason to think the Cats will slip much if any from last year.

I am looking for balance next year from the Cats, instead of Lulay doing everything himself.

catbob
March 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Also, here is an article with a QnA session with Don Bailey our OC. He talks about losing Lulay and the offense in general.

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=h&nid=1418

Bison77
March 24th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Groves actually outrushed Lulay in the last few games, a first for a Bobcat running back for quite some time. :)

Punting is a concern I have no clue who will be doing that. I have heard that Ryan Force (S) will be doing a rollout punt similiar to Lulays, but what is the point if there is no fake threat (although he can run pretty well).

A good OL, solid running game, and a good defense (with Groves, and the staff is also very high on Isiah Taito) will help break in any new QB. We may struggle to put points on early, but I think there is no reason to think the Cats will slip much if any from last year.

I am looking for balance next year from the Cats, instead of Lulay doing everything himself.

Make sure you have the qb situation straightened out by 2007 because when you come to Fargo you'll need a stud. :D

Proud Griz Man
March 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Make sure you have the qb situation straightened out by 2007 because when you come to Fargo you'll need a stud. :D

Hey Bison 77, please be sure to hide the beloved Bison Bus before the bobcat fans vandalize it again. :nod: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CatFan22
March 24th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Hey Bison 77, please be sure to hide the beloved Bison Bus before the bobcat fans vandalize it again. :nod: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That was only a few fans. Don't put a few dumbasses' poor judgement on all of the Cat fans. Stay on the topic, please.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Tyler Lulay, younger brother of Travis got a hammy problem. Quite a bit in the below article on the tweaking of the 'Cats football team after last year's season from graduation losses to new coaches.

Bobcats start first spring drills of post-Lulay era today
By SCOTT MANSCH
Tribune Asst. Sports Editor

When Montana State head football coach Mike Kramer announced plans last week to push back the start of spring football practice, it wasn't because the Bobcats were doing all they could to delay the official start of the post-Travis Lulay era.

But it's certainly a valid enough reason.

Lulay led the Bobcats to 25 victories in his 43 career starts at quarterback and amassed 12,205 yards of total offense, which ranks second in Big Sky Conference history and seventh all-time among NCAA I-AA players. Lulay's 10,746 career passing yards rank 11th in I-AA history.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060327/SPORTS/603270313/1006

March 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Coach Kramer on I-AA WAVES tomorrow night!

Bronco
March 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Just a few bad apples vandalized the bus..

must be the same bad apples I seem to always run into in Bozeman every other year.

What the heck happened to Lulay at the coimbine...4.73 40 time...I thought he was fast.

catbob
March 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Game speed and 40s aren't always related. Also, he ran a 4.69 at pro day.

Remember Roger Cooper? He could chase down anyone and he ran a 4.77.

Bronco - you always saw that Lulay had the fastest shuttle time of any QB in the combine? Agility is a bit more important than pure speed in the NFL.

And bronco I thought you quit going to Bozeman? You always say I'm never going again anyway. Trust me no one will miss you.

Bronco
March 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I always go...don't like it but I always go. Nastiest fans in 1AA...inferiority complex always brings out the worst behavior.

if I didn't go who would the hooligans throw drinks on?.

catbob
March 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'm sure you've been to every venue in I-AA.

I doubt many fans feel inferior after beating you the last 3 out of 4.

Hell a majority of students at MSU now aren't used to losing to the Griz.

CatFan22
March 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I always go...don't like it but I always go. Nastiest fans in 1AA...inferiority complex always brings out the worst behavior.

if I didn't go who would the hooligans throw drinks on?.

Nasty is one of your fans spraying pepper spray at one of our fans after the griz lost to us this past season. Seems your fans are a little on the touchy side the past few years.