PDA

View Full Version : Random IAA trivia

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
If you can get most of these, you definitly pass the citizenship test into the IAA nation. Should be a piece of cake for most of us.

1. Name two IAA teams that have had undefeated championship seasons.

2. Organize these four teams into two logical groups:
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Texas State
Eastern Washington

3. Name the NFL players that these schools are most known for:
Jackson State
Tennessee Chattanooga
Marshall
Savannah State
Alcorn State
Northern Iowa

4. Name two teams that have together won 10 of IAA's 28 national championships, and have together been in 13 of IAA's 28 national championships. (As of the end of the 2000 season, these numbers were 10 of 23 and 13 of 23 respectively.)

5. Which HBCU has a national championship?

6. Which conference boasted having THREE at-large bids along with their auto-bid to the IAA playoffs in 2004?

7. Which conference has the triad commonly referred to as "the big three"?

8. Which school is the only team to visit four back-to-back national championships?

9. What two teams are the only teams that have played at home in the national championship?

10. Who was the first and currently only team to play and win on the road in all four rounds of the playoffs?

dbackjon
March 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
If you can get most of these, you definitly pass the citizenship test into the IAA nation. Should be a piece of cake for most of us.

1. Name two IAA teams that have had undefeated championship seasons.

Georgia Southern, Marshall

Georgia Southern
Montana State
Texas State
Eastern Washington

GSU/MSU and Texas State/Eastern Washington

(Champions, Non-Champions

3. Name the NFL players that these schools are most known for:
Jackson State - Walter Payton
Tennessee Chattanooga - Terrell Owens
Marshall - Randy Moss
Savannah State
Alcorn State - Steve McNair
Northern Iowa - Kurt Warner

4. Name two teams that have together won 10 of IAA's 28 national championships, and have together been in 13 of IAA's 28 national championships. (As of the end of the 2000 season, these numbers were 10 of 23 and 13 of 23 respectively.)

Georgia Southern and Youngstown State

5. Which HBCU has a national championship? MEAC (FLORIDA A&M)

6. Which conference boasted having THREE at-large bids along with their auto-bid to the IAA playoffs in 2004? A-10

7. Which conference has the triad commonly referred to as "the big three"? Southern

8. Which school is the only team to visit four back-to-back national championships?

9. What two teams are the only teams that have played at home in the national championship? GSU and Marshall

10. Who was the first and currently only team to play and win on the road in all four rounds of the playoffs?
James Madison

All from the top of my head - so best guesses.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Texas State
Eastern Washington

Champions, Non-Champions

not the answer i had in mind...still correct though

89Hen
March 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Texas State
Eastern Washington

Champions, Non-Champions

That was actually the first one that came to mind for me too, but I guess you are going for Eagles and non-Eagles?

TxSt02
March 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Texas State
Eastern Washington

Champions, Non-Champions

eagles and bobcats also...
schools with "state" in them and directional schools

I-AA Fan
March 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Drop Marshall, add YSU, 1994 13-0-1

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
eagles and bobcats also...
schools with "state" in them and directional schools

That's it...2 ealges, 2 bobcats...

elkmcc
March 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Savannah State - Shannon Sharpe, Denver Broncos

elkmcc
March 23rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
YSU - '91, '92, '93, '94

March 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
11. Which conference first boasted having THREE at-large bids along with their auto-bid to the IAA playoffs?

elkmcc
March 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
11. Which conference first boasted having THREE at-large bids along with their auto-bid to the IAA playoffs?

The Gateway had 4 teams in the playoffs in 2003, W. Ill, N. Iowa, So. Ill, and W. Kentucky. I think that was a first.

Tod
March 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Texas State
Eastern Washington

Champions, Non-Champions

Without scrolling down any further (so if somebody else answered this, sorry), I think you might be looking for the two "State" schools and the two "directional" schools.

Tod
March 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
That was actually the first one that came to mind for me too, but I guess you are going for Eagles and non-Eagles?

Oh, crap! Eagles and Bobcats!! I'm xidiotx xidiotx

BTW, excellent idea for a thread, IAA-pwns. I'll see if I can come up with one or two...

DuckDuckGriz
March 24th, 2006, 01:56 AM
1. Without looking -- name the I-AA conference with the most Payton Award winners in history.

2. Without looking -- name the year, place, and opponents of the highest attended national championship game in I-AA history (36,000+)

3. Twice since the new millenium have two teams met in the semifinals who already met in the regular season. The outcome of the game was differnent for both games, and they were two different years. Name these opponents.

4. This national championship team's motto was "Finish."

5. One state can claim two different national champions in back to back years. Which state?

BONUS
This I-AA team resides in the first town to ever use the modern day zipcode.

March 24th, 2006, 02:37 AM
1. Without looking -- name the I-AA conference with the most Payton Award winners in history.

2. Without looking -- name the year, place, and opponents of the highest attended national championship game in I-AA history (36,000+)

3. Twice since the new millenium have two teams met in the semifinals who already met in the regular season. The outcome of the game was differnent for both games, and they were two different years. Name these opponents.

5. One state can claim two different national champions in back to back years. Which state?

BONUS
This I-AA team resides in the first town to ever use the modern day zipcode.nice ... keep the thread going ... keep the questions and answers coming.

Tribe4SF
March 24th, 2006, 06:00 AM

BONUS

1. Big Sky

2. Guessing...Montana vs. Marshall either '96 or '97...Huntington, W.Va.

3. 2004 W&M and JMU
2005 Furman and Appy State

4. ?

5. Idaho

Bonus ?

Umass74
March 24th, 2006, 07:12 AM
1. Name the school and player who was a member of a 1996 Basketball Final Four Team AND a starter on a I-AA National Championship team.

2. Name the team who's opponents had a perfect season in kicking (i.e. hit every extra point attempt and every field goal attempt)

HensRock
March 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
SoCon (guess)

1996 Marshal vs. Montana - Huntington, WV

W&M and JMU in 2004, ASU and Furman in 2005

2002 Western Kentucky

Montana (guess)

BONUS
U of Maine (total wild-@$$ guess - I know they would have the lowest)

grizband
March 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
W&M and JMU in 2004, ASU and Furman in 2005
Montana and Sam Houston St 2004 - SHSU won the first time at home in the regular season, Montana won at hom in the playoffs

Idaho Boise St. and Idaho St.

GAD
March 24th, 2006, 12:51 PM
3. Western Kentucky & McNeese:confused:

TxSt02
March 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM
3. 2004 Sam Houston and Montana...

Sam Houston won in Huntsville early in the season and Montana won in Missoula later on...

DuckDuckGriz
March 24th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Okay, guys I really screwed up on the semifinal one. You were all right -- and it's actually been FOUR times since the new millenium that two teams have met in the semis that met in the regular season:
2001 -- Georgia Southern & Furman
2004 -- Montana & Sam Houston State
2004 -- William Mary & JMU
2005 -- App State & Furman

No one has gotten 1, 2, or the bonus.

Good job HensRock and grizband with the correct answers to 4 and 5.

grizband
March 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Okay, guys I really screwed up on the semifinal one. You were all right -- and it's actually been FOUR times since the new millenium that two teams have met in the semis that met in the regular season:
2001 -- Georgia Southern & Furman
2004 -- Montana & Sam Houston State
2004 -- William Mary & JMU
2005 -- App State & Furman

No one has gotten 1, 2, or the bonus.

Good job HensRock and grizband with the correct answers to 4 and 5.
The Big Sky is partially correct for number one. They are tied with the A-10, at five a piece (I had to look this up, I thought it was Big Sky as well).

MR. CHICKEN
March 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
2.....MARSHALL vs YOUNGSTOWN STATE.....'94 OR '95?
BONER.....AH MEAN BONUS.......UMA$$?..(AMHERST)...:twocents:.....AWK !

grizband
March 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Five more questions for trivia:
1. Coaching a minimum of 40 games, what coach has the all-time hightest win % in I-AA football.

2. What team had the shortest distance to travel to play in a title game? (does not include schools who hosted)
Which team had the farthest distance to travel?

3. Who (individual player) is the all-time I-AA points leader?

4. 4 teams have scored more than 600 points in a season (it has happened a total of 7 times). Name them.

5. Name the two teams who are tied for the longest win streak in I-AA history.

DuckDuckGriz
March 24th, 2006, 04:57 PM
1. Coaching a minimum of 40 games, what coach has the all-time hightest win % in I-AA football.

2. What team had the shortest distance to travel to play in a title game?

4. 4 teams have scored more than 600 points in a season (it has happened a total of 7 times). Name them.

1. I will guess Joe Glenn
2. Shortest has to be a tie between Marshall & Georgia Southern -- who both hosted title games.
-- I think longest has to be GSU also when they played in Pocatello

3. Another guess -- Montana's Chris Snyder

5. UPenn & Montana

Answers to mine....
#1 -- Conference with the most Payton Award winners is actually the Big Sky with six, in 2005 EWU's Erik Meyer was the first out of the Big Sky since NAU's Archie Amerson in 1996. The Big Sky also had five Payton Award winners in a seven year period betwen 1989-1996. All winners, with the exception of Amerson in `96, have been quarterbacks.

#2 -- The highest attended I-AA championship game was the 1995matchup in Huntington, West Virginia when Montana won its first title, 22-20 against Marshall. The official attendance was 32,106.

grizband
March 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I meant to change that to read other than those schools who have hosted.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM

2. What team had the shortest distance to travel to play in a title game? (does not include schools who hosted)

1. (guess) Tubby Raymond
2. (guess) Montana to UTC in 2000 farthest, ASU to UTC in 2005 shortest
3. no idea
4. (guess) GSU in 1999
5. (guess) Montana

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 24th, 2006, 08:43 PM

BONUS

Let me take a stab at the Bonus: Lehigh?

grizband
March 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM
1. (guess) Tubby Raymond
2. (guess) Montana to UTC in 2000 farthest, ASU to UTC in 2005 shortest
3. no idea
4. (guess) GSU in 1999
5. (guess) Montana

1. Joe Glenn Montana .867
2. Georgia Southern to Tacoma, WA farthest - 2387 miles
App State to Chattanooga, TN - 279 miles
3. Chris Snyder - 397 points
4. GSU, Montana, Marshall, Mississippi Valley State
5. Penn and Montana (24 games)

March 25th, 2006, 01:50 AM
2. What team had the farthest/shortest distance to travel to play in a title game?

Eastern Kentucky? 2416.7 miles
Western Kentucky? 194.8 miles

eaglesrthe1
March 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM

#3 is Brian Westbrook.

blukeys
March 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
The following questions address the playoff teams since going to the 16 team format:

1. Which National Champion has given up the most points in their playoff run?

2. Which National Champion has scored the least points in their playoff run?

3. Which National Champion has the lowest average margin of victory for the playoff run?

4. Which National Champion has the highest average margin of victory for the playoff run?

Tod
March 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM
The following questions address the playoff teams since going to the 16 team format:

1. Which National Champion has given up the most points in their playoff run?

2. Which National Champion has scored the least points in their playoff run?

3. Which National Champion has the lowest average margin of victory for the playoff run?

4. Which National Champion has the highest average margin of victory for the playoff run?

#4, I believe, is Delaware.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Marshall, '96
I think 3 is JMU 2004 average is 6.5

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM
How many times have conference opponents met in the NC?

What two teams have met THREE times in the national championship?

What two teams have met TWICE in the national championship?

(Easy) Who is the only Patriot League team to make it to the NC?

March 25th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Can people please post the answers to their previous questions in one post before posting new ones?

DuckDuckGriz
March 25th, 2006, 11:11 PM
How many times have conference opponents met in the NC?

What two teams have met THREE times in the national championship?

What two teams have met TWICE in the national championship?

(Easy) Who is the only Patriot League team to make it to the NC?

-Once? GSU & Furman
-Marshall & YSU(?) I think GSU and Furman only met twice.
-Marshall & Montana
-Colgate

blukeys
March 26th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the plug Tod but the answer to no 4 is none other than the 1995 National Champ Montana. Helped no doubt by a 70-14 trashing of Stephen F. Austin. Delaware comes in 3rd in this category

Answers to others :

1. 1987 U Louisiana Monroe giving up 124 points in their playoff run.

2. In 1991 YSU scored only 82 points in 4 playoff wins.

3. The same Youngstosn team also has the smallest average margin of victory of 5.5 points per game.

grizband
March 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM
2. What team had the farthest/shortest distance to travel to play in a title game?

Eastern Kentucky? 2416.7 miles
Western Kentucky? 194.8 miles
Ralph, you are correct if using driving directions for EKU. I was using crow flies distance though, which shows GSU to Tacoma as more. I guess it depends on which measurement you take. Thanks for the correction, though.:bow:

March 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ralph, you are correct if using driving directions for EKU. I was using crow flies distance though, which shows GSU to Tacoma as more. I guess it depends on which measurement you take. Thanks for the correction, though.:bow:So these are the correct answers (as the crow flies)?

Shortest distance to the I-AA Champ Game: Western Kentucky
(Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States and Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States, as the crow flies:
147 miles*)

Longest distance to the I-AA Champ Game: Georgia Southern
(Statesboro, Georgia, United States and Tacoma, Washington, United States, as the crow flies:
2358 miles*)

* http://www.foundlocally.com/Rockies/Trans/Trans-DistanceCalc.htm

grizband
March 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, those are correct. Thanks Ralph.

March 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Yeah...I would say no one is going to travel further as long as the champ game is in Chatty.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 26th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I would say no one is going to travel further as long as the champ game is in Chatty.

What about Eastern Washington and Portland State?

[EDIT] oops, I was thinking Tacoma was in Idaho for some reason. I was thinking of Pocatello.

grizband
March 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
#3 is Brian Westbrook.
You're right, my bad. I thought Snyder was, but Westbrook has him. I never realized how many touchdowns he scored in his career.

DuckDuckGriz
March 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Okay, some more trivia:

-Name the team that went won the national championship after having a 1-10 season the year before, the biggest single season turnaround in I-AA history.

-Name the last time two former I-AA quarterbacks started for their teams against eachother in the Super Bowl.

-This stadium is lovingly referred to as "The Hole."

-Only twice in the last decade has the #1 seed in the I-AA playoffs won the national championship. Which two years/top seeded teams were they?

Tod
March 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Okay, some more trivia:

-Name the team that went won the national championship after having a 1-10 season the year before, the biggest single season turnaround in I-AA history.

-Name the last time two former I-AA quarterbacks started for their teams against eachother in the Super Bowl.

-Only twice in the last decade has the #1 seed in the I-AA playoffs won the national championship. Which two years/top seeded teams were they?

I believe your first question is Montana State.

The Hole is McNeese's stadium, although if you want the actual name of the stadium, it's not coming to mind.

Guess on your last question. '99 GSU and '01 Montana.

TheValleyRaider
March 27th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Kurt Warner (UNI) and the Rams over Steve McNair (Alcorn) and the Titans. Super Bowl XXXIV (or whatever SB was in Jan. 2000)

MR. CHICKEN
March 27th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Okay, some more trivia:

QUESTION # 1.......COULD IT BE UMA$$ 1996?....AH BELIEVE DEY WERE PICKED TA BE LAST IN CONFERENCE DAT YEAR.........:twocents:........AWK!

Umass74
March 27th, 2006, 07:06 AM
QUESTION # 1.......COULD IT BE UMA$$ 1996?....AH BELIEVE DEY WERE PICKED TA BE LAST IN CONFERENCE DAT YEAR.................AWK!

UMass was 2-9 in 1996.

DuckDuckGriz
March 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I believe your first question is Montana State.

The Hole is McNeese's stadium, although if you want the actual name of the stadium, it's not coming to mind.

Guess on your last question. '99 GSU and '01 Montana.

You've got two and half right.

-The answer to the first question was Montana State. In 1983 the Bobcats went 1-10. The following year, 1984, they went 12-2 and won the I-AA title over Louisiana Tech. This is the biggest single season turnaround in I-AA history.

-McNeese State's Cowboy Stadium is infact "The Hole."

-TheValleyRaider was the first to correctly name the 2000 matchup between the Rams and Titans as the last Super Bowl to start two I-AA quarterbacks, Kurt Warner of UNI and Steve McNair of Alcorn State.

The final question still remains:
Only two twice in the last decade have two #1 seeds won the national title. Which years/team were they?
(Hint: Tennessee State was the top seed in `99, upset in the first round).

MR. CHICKEN
March 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM
TWO #1 SEEDS.....HOW 'BOUT MARSHALL & EASTERN KENTUCKY?...AWK!

March 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM
-Name the last time two former I-AA quarterbacks started for their teams against each other in the NFL Pro Bowl.

OL FU
March 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM
So these are the correct answers (as the crow flies)?

Shortest distance to the I-AA Champ Game: Western Kentucky
(Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States and Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States, as the crow flies:
147 miles*)

Longest distance to the I-AA Champ Game: Georgia Southern
(Statesboro, Georgia, United States and Tacoma, Washington, United States, as the crow flies:
2358 miles*)

* http://www.foundlocally.com/Rockies/Trans/Trans-DistanceCalc.htm

And while not a record, GSU's opponent travel 2,225 miles to get to Tacoma (just an FYI)

Distance between Travelers Rest, South Carolina, United States and Tacoma, Washington, United States, as the crow flies:

DuckDuckGriz
March 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM
TWO #1 SEEDS.....HOW 'BOUT MARSHALL & EASTERN KENTUCKY?...AWK!

Has to be in the last ten years (EKU) ;)

OL FU
March 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Has to be in the last ten years (EKU) ;)

Georgia Southern 2000.

DuckDuckGriz
March 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM
-Name the last time two former I-AA quarterbacks started for their teams against each other in the NFL Pro Bowl.

Was UCF a I-AA when Culpepper played there? I'm just going to throw out a guess that it was a couple years ago with Rich Gannon & Dante Culpepper. I think this was 2002 or 2003.

DuckDuckGriz
March 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Georgia Southern 2000.

Montana was top seed in 2000.

OL FU
March 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Montana was top seed in 2000.

Then Montana 2001.
you gonna make me list them all:)

DuckDuckGriz
March 27th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Then Montana 2001.
you gonna make me list them all:)

I'll just go ahead and give the answer. You were right though about the second one.

The last top seeds to win the national title were:

1996 Marshall -- went 15-0 and were ranked #1 all season, even though Montana was defending national champion and had an undefeated regular season as well. The Griz held the #2 all season.

2001 Montana -- entered the top spot midseason and never looked back.

grizband
March 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
You've got two and half right.

-The answer to the first question was Montana State. In 1983 the Bobcats went 1-10. The following year, 1984, they went 12-2 and won the I-AA title over Louisiana Tech. This is the biggest single season turnaround in I-AA history.

-McNeese State's Cowboy Stadium is infact "The Hole."

-TheValleyRaider was the first to correctly name the 2000 matchup between the Rams and Titans as the last Super Bowl to start two I-AA quarterbacks, Kurt Warner of UNI and Steve McNair of Alcorn State.

The final question still remains:
Only two twice in the last decade have two #1 seeds won the national title. Which years/team were they?
(Hint: Tennessee State was the top seed in `99, upset in the first round).
Funny thing about this is, the next three years MSU had records of 2-9, 3-8, and 1-10. That has to be one of the most anomylous championships when compared to the records of subsequent seasons.

I-AA Fan
March 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I would be interested in knowing which former I-AA player has the longest tenure in the NFL. They have to have played at a school that was classified as I-AA at the time. I have no idea, so I cannot answer any guesses. Just thought it would be interesting.

Stang Fever
March 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
What current San Diego Charger WR Holds the record for most yards in a game in I-AA

ISUMatt
March 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM
What current San Diego Charger WR Holds the record for most yards in a game in I-AA

Vincent Jackson?

March 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Was UCF a I-AA when Culpepper played there? I'm just going to throw out a guess that it was a couple years ago with Rich Gannon & Dante Culpepper. I think this was 2002 or 2003.Answer is Culpepper vs. ... (not Gannon) ...

TxSt02
March 28th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Answer is Culpepper vs. ... (not Gannon) ...

Culpepper came into the league in 99 and UCF became I-A in 96...

March 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Culpepper played I-AA his freshman year...

TxSt02
March 28th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Culpepper played I-AA his freshman year...

ahh ha... i was thinking all 4 years...

March 28th, 2006, 01:32 AM
His Pro Bowl opponent QB did...

March 28th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Enough!

2003:
Steve McNair Titans (Alcorn State)
Daunte Culpepper Vikings (UCF)