PDA

View Full Version : ICON/Grambling schedule is set for 2006

MACHIAVELLI
March 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
2006 is now set for GSU
Grambling slate features plenty of road trips
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Grambling State finished a busy scheduling off-season with a deal to play the University of Houston in September.

How busy?

Over the course of the last few months, Grambling has:

Moved its home-opening game against Alcorn State to Dec. 2 to make way for an invite in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge, to be played against Hampton on Sept. 2 in Birmingham, Ala.

Confirmed that the Bayou Classic, played against Southern on Nov. 25, will return to the Superdome after a one-year shift to Houston in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Shifted a home game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Oct. 14 from Robinson Stadium to Little Rock in order to help reestablish the Literacy Classic.

Rescheduled all home games to 3 p.m.

Considered non-conference contests against Minnesota, Pittsburgh, North Carolina A&T, Texas Christian and finally Houston — which has been inked for Sept. 16.

http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060321/SPORTS/603210351/1006/NEWS17

GannonFan
March 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Two bye-weeks before the Southern game? Is that normal?

ButlerGSU
March 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
They left the playoffs off...oh wait...nevermind ;-)

MACHIAVELLI
March 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Two bye-weeks before the Southern game? Is that normal?

It is not normal, but the last time it was done we were victorious.

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Plenty of road games?

Neutral sites are NOT road games, kapeesh

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Grambling vs Houston will get folks thinking of an I-A loss to an I-AA, but that'll be a stretch...

Only battle Grambling will win that day is at the ticket office. Houston will have a really good QB in Kevin Kolb and have plenty of offensive weapons...

March 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Plenty of road games?
Neutral sites are NOT road games, kapeesh:confused:
You're telling that to Nick Deriso???? Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

Catmendue2
March 23rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Grambling vs Houston will get folks thinking of an I-A loss to an I-AA, but that'll be a stretch...

Only battle Grambling will win that day is at the ticket office. Houston will have a really good QB in Kevin Kolb and have plenty of offensive weapons...

Now tell us what Grambling is going to have.

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Now tell us what Grambling is going to have.

Landers at QB, a solid I-AA QB...

Clyde Edwards at WR who should have a breakout year. Would love to have him as an I-AA.org All-Star...

Moe Thompson at DE...a future Sunday player...

And a host of other solid players, but I don't think Grambling should overlook the Cougars. Nor do I think Houston should overlook Grambling...seems both schools are guilty of such...

March 23rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
There ya go. I know you respect Houston, and feel Grambling has some respect to earn... but GSU seems to have the cajones to get out there and garner it. Their fans also seem to be behind it too.

Tod
March 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Good luck to Grambling against Houston (and all year)! I'll be watching this game as a definite possibility for a I-AA victory. :nod: :nod: :nod:

MACHIAVELLI
March 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Moe Thompson at DE...a future Sunday player....

Uhhh nevermind xcoffeex

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Only battle Grambling will win that day is at the ticket office.
Not sure about that. SU plays PVU in H-Town that same day. Now if the games are different times im sure alot of fans will attend both.

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Not sure about that. SU plays PVU in H-Town that same day. Now if the games are different times im sure alot of fans will attend both.

You really think that if SU vs PVA&M is at the same time, it would hurt attendance? SU vs PVA&M has not been the most competitive of games over the years and where is that game being played? Blackshear Stadium or elsewhere? It just doesn't seem as attractive as UH-Grambling...

GAD
March 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM
You really think that if SU vs PVA&M is at the same time, it would hurt attendance? SU vs PVA&M has not been the most competitive of games over the years and where is that game being played? Blackshear Stadium or elsewhere? It just doesn't seem as attractive as UH-Grambling...
Southern has never played at Blackshear the game will probably be played at Reliant or Rice. If the games are at different times many fans will probably attend both

MACHIAVELLI
March 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Southern has never played at Blackshear the game will probably be played at Reliant or Rice. If the games are at different times many fans will probably attend both

Looks like both games start at 7:00. Southern has played in Blackshear before.

2006 Panther Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location Time
Sept. 16 Southern - Houston 7:00 p.m.

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Reliant has the Texas-Rice game that weekend at a time to be announced. Seems like Reliant is out as there's no way they'll wanna play two games on Saturday at Reliant...

I guess Rice Stadium is an option. Robertson Stadium is obviously out (UH-Grambling)...

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM
PVU will never play SU in Blackshear. SU brings 20,000 to H-Town everytime with the exception SU vs TSU last season due to the date of the game being changed at the last minute. Check the attendence records, and then check the Grambling attendence records when they play in H-town and let me know what you find. xlolx

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2006, 04:51 PM
PVU will never play SU in Blackshear. SU brings 20,000 to H-Town everytime with the exception SU vs TSU last season due to the date of the game being changed at the last minute. Check the attendence records, and then check the Grambling attendence records when they play in H-town and let me know what you find. xlolx

I'm guessing you have to play that game at Rice Stadium then. They are fixing it up too this offseason and under the great leadership of Mike Graham, I expect more improvement. They'll be able to handle it.

Checked 2004, TxSo-PVA&M had 30,349. PVA&M-SU had 20,830. TxSo-Grambling in 2004 had just under 6000. In 2002, SU had 20,002 for the PVA&M game. TxSo vs Grambling had nearly 11,000 in 2002.

MACHIAVELLI
April 6th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Pitt and NCA&T are scheduled for the 2007 season.

OL FU
April 6th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Pitt and NCA&T are scheduled for the 2007 season.

I would like for you to beat Houston.
But I would love for you to club Pitt. :D