PDA

View Full Version : Towson vs LSU in 2012

andy7171
August 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.towsontigers.com//pics32/640/PT/PTBDZQCRZBHOBCF.20110802191501.jpg

Two FBS teams next season. LSU and Kent State. I'm not going to miss the Tigerfest game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
LOL...wow...just wow....

andy7171
August 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
LOL...wow...just wow....

Is it too early to start an Appy style WHAT IF thread? :)

AshevilleApp2
August 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM

It's never too soon! 2,000+ posts starting now!

I really thing the Tigers have a chance in this game. xnodx

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
This pisses me off.....no disrespect to Towson....but.....after the McNeese showing last year with tickets sold, and the job Northwestern's doing so far this year, I can't believe that LSU will go out of state for another FCS team when Southeastern and Nicholls, to say nothing of Southern and Grambling still haven't been scheduled. The two in-state FCS teams that LSU's scheduled, McNeese and Northwestern, bring more fans to Tiger Stadium than pretty much ANY other OOC teams, and even more than some of the SEC teams like Vandy....

Glad for Towson, but this makes no sense to LSU and seems to slap SELA and Nicholls in the face....

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
From playing Georgetown to LSU in ten years, that's... something.

NHwildEcat
August 3rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
This pisses me off.....no disrespect to Towson....but.....after the McNeese showing last year with tickets sold, and the job Northwestern's doing so far this year, I can't believe that LSU will go out of state for another FCS team when Southeastern and Nicholls, to say nothing of Southern and Grambling still haven't been scheduled. The two in-state FCS teams that LSU's scheduled, McNeese and Northwestern, bring more fans to Tiger Stadium than pretty much ANY other OOC teams, and even more than some of the SEC teams like Vandy....

Glad for Towson, but this makes no sense to LSU and seems to slap SELA and Nicholls in the face....

My thought is that LSU would rather bring in a team from outside the state because they won't travel as much so there will be more LSU fans in the crowd which is ideally what they want...I would say a warm up game...but its the 4th game of the year I presume. If they cared about the local fan interest they would probably have looked in state.

andy7171
August 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM

I agree with this. Maryland just past legislation that forces UMD to play both FCS schools, (Towson and Morgan State) every 5 years to keep the cupcake money in state.

TTUEagles
August 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe the payout to Towson is a lot less for FCS than it would be to instate FCS schools?

TheRevSFA
August 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
did you see Towson's basketball floor? Perhaps they are in the red now :D

NHwildEcat
August 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
I agree with this. Maryland just past legislation that forces UMD to play both FCS schools, (Towson and Morgan State) every 5 years to keep the cupcake money in state.

Thats not a bad idea...

andy7171
August 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
did you see Towson's basketball floor? Perhaps they are in the red now :D

I'm sure this has a lot to do with the new arena that is being built. I don't like scheduling 2 FBS teams at all. The CAA scedule is hard enough to rebuild in.

appfan2008
August 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM

That is the only way UNC would ever be willing to play us...

superman7515
August 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM

Why not? Sewanee is 6-3 all time vs LSU... Haha

LeadBolt
August 3rd, 2011, 02:57 PM
Why not? Sewanee is 6-3 all time vs LSU... Haha

Sewanee was a charter member of the SEC, but LSU has outstripped both them and Towson in developing their football program over the last 75 years.

DFW HOYA
August 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
From playing Georgetown to LSU in ten years, that's... something.

From playing Towson and FIU to now scheduling Davidson and Wagner, that's...not so much.

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
I guess the Tigers were not interested in maintaining their trend of playing in-state opposition...

Don't see why not - I know SLU and Nicholls could use the money... and they have not had their date.

Doubt Southern or Grambling would be 'game'.

Brad82
August 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Towson is a good team in wrong conference.

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
My thought is that LSU would rather bring in a team from outside the state because they won't travel as much so there will be more LSU fans in the crowd which is ideally what they want...I would say a warm up game...but its the 4th game of the year I presume. If they cared about the local fan interest they would probably have looked in state.

LSU fans don't show up to watch LSU play FCS teams...unless....there's a compelling reason, like playing App when both schoolls were the defending National Champions....or playing a local FCS like McNeese or Northwestern. Again, no disrespect to Towson, but there's going to be a LOT of empty seats on that date...

crossfire07
August 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Southern would sign the deal for the publicity then back out the year before. Sound familiar? I don't think LSU should be obligated to play every FCS school in the state simply because the competition level is not there. I don't know that they would be playing Northwestern State if the Peveto ties were not there.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Southern would sign the deal for the publicity then back out the year before. Sound familiar? I don't think LSU should be obligated to play every FCS school in the state simply because the competition level is not there. I don't know that they would be playing Northwestern State if the Peveto ties were not there.

Crossfire07 is still looking for welfare from SU huh xlolx , not to offend the other McNeese folks . Again SU could do nothing about Katrina. SU paid McNeese so why do you keep bringing this up. McNeese also cancel a game and didnt return .SU already has a $650,000 game with a Georgia in 2015 :) . We dont need LSU . Plus that wouldnt be a good look for the city of Baton Rouge. It might start a civil war xlolx .

Tribal
August 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Towson is a good team in wrong conference.

They won one game (in OT) last season to a horrible team. What conference would be appropriate?

GAD
August 3rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Crossfire07 is still looking for welfare from SU huh xlolx , not to offend the other McNeese folks . Again SU could do nothing about Katrina. SU paid McNeese so why do you keep bringing this up. McNeese also cancel a game and didnt return .SU already has a $650,000 game with a Georgia in 2015 :) . We dont need LSU . Plus that wouldnt be a good look for the city of Baton Rouge. It might start a civil war xlolx .

They talked about this on sports radio today, and they interviewed coach Stump and he said if offered he would take the game after 2013

crossfire07
August 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
I know nothing about welfare so enlighten me.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 3rd, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have always wanted to go to Death Valley and see a game.............................should I go see this one or wait for a decent game?

McNeese75
August 3rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have always wanted to go to Death Valley and see a game.............................should I go see this one or wait for a decent game?

Go see an SEC Game

WestCoastAggie
August 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM

Don't forget about Southern.

Side Judge
August 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Nobody's mentioning LSU's obvious desire to avoid the Chattanooga Mocs at all costs...

crossfire07
August 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM

If you want the full effect of Death Valley then 75 is right, go see a SEC game. Get there very early. We got there at 11am for a 6pm(?) kick off and parked across the first street on the north side.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Go see an SEC Game

Shhhh!

I am baiting andy......................I know you guys are right.

xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM
They talked about this on sports radio today, and they interviewed coach Stump and he said if offered he would take the game after 2013

Southern can talk all they want... but I have a hard time seeing Southern accepting and playing LSU in football.

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM

Go see this one. There will be plenty of empty seats and ticket prices will be lower. Just walk around by the main gate and hold up your hand with the number of tickets you need. Somebody may even give them to you. LSU fans HATE FCS games...

andy7171
August 4th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Sprout sighting!!!

Catatonic
August 4th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Southern isn't waiting around for LSU to call. They have agreed to play the Dawgs of Georgia between the Hedges up in Athens town in the fall of 2015.

Catatonic
August 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Southern can talk all they want... but I have a hard time seeing Southern accepting and playing LSU in football.

There are other teams in the SEC that sign on to play FCS teams.....Looks like Southern and UGA between the Hedges in 2015.

http://dogbytesonline.com/georgia-lines-up-2015-game-47308/

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM
There are other teams in the SEC that sign on to play FCS teams.....Looks like Southern and UGA between the Hedges in 2015.

Context is everything.....he's gigging Southern about reneging on a contract some years back ;)

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Context is everything.....he's gigging Southern about reneging on a contract some years back ;)

DG Cowboy
August 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
If LSU fans have to play FCS teams, I believe they would rather play neighbors like the Louisiana SLC teams. many LSU fans told me it was fun to pick and interact with the McNeese fans last year. Did App bring more than 500 when they came down?

Catatonic
August 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM
If LSU fans have to play FCS teams, I believe they would rather play neighbors like the Louisiana SLC teams. many LSU fans told me it was fun to pick and interact with the McNeese fans last year. Did App bring more than 500 when they came down?

Same with Georgia fans. They are grumbling about scheduling Southern. Dawg fans would prefer Georgia Southern, Furman, Georgia State, UT-Chattanooga....or another FCS school within spitting distance of Athens.

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Exactly the point!

DG Cowboy
August 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Oh yeah! I'm with you on all of your posts on this one, FPC! There probably is a connection between Joe Alleva and Towson AD Mike Waddell somewhere.

GeauxLions94
August 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Would have been nice for SLU to have played them next year and hope we can get on the schedule (along with Nicholls, Southern and Grambling). Of course we'll have about 10,000 folks with SLU ties (graduates, etc.) there anyway since we didn't have football from 1986-2002.

andy7171
August 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah! I'm with you on all of your posts on this one, FPC! There probably is a connection between Joe Alleva and Towson AD Mike Waddell somewhere.

I heard they are fairly close friends. Towson had one game to fill in September in 2012. Rumors have been flying about a second FBS instead of stupid Morgan State.

apaladin
August 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Did someone drop LSU or vice versa to open up a game? These games are usually scheduled 3 years in advance, for example Furman plays at LSU in '13 and it's been scheduled over a year now.

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Southern isn't waiting around for LSU to call. They have agreed to play the Dawgs of Georgia between the Hedges up in Athens town in the fall of 2015.

They have a "memorandum of understanding". They will have agreed if a contract is ever signed.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I know nothing about welfare so enlighten me.I know nothing about welfare. You the one begging.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Didnt SU pay McNeese a payout. And didnt McNeese also back out of a contract to play Cal-Poly, after a hurricane. SMH

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
They have a "memorandum of understanding". They will have agreed if a contract is ever signed.

JUst dotting the I's and crossing the T's. Waiting on SU's chancellor signature.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Me either. There Stadium isnt big enough, but TC would love for it to happen. But the powers that be in BR will never let it happen, which is a good thing IMO. Will cause to many problems. We have to co-exist in the same city.

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Didnt SU pay McNeese a payout. And didnt McNeese also back out of a contract to play Cal-Poly, after a hurricane. SMH

McNeese played Cal Poly last year so no, they did not back out of anything. Our contract with them got fulfilled by playing a game, not stalling them for a couple of years then paying them money so we could go play a game we had a chance of winning.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 07:12 PM
McNeese played Cal Poly last year so no, they did not back out of anything. Our contract with them got fulfilled by playing a game, not stalling them for a couple of years then paying them money so we could go play a game we had a chance of winning.
SO you want SU to turn down a ESPN sponsered game, that was nationally televised and a big payday xlolx. Nicholls backed out on SU for a payday game in the 2000's. No one from SU itched and moaned. Get over it and move on. It happened in 05 lol. 6 years later you still ithing.

number1
August 5th, 2011, 03:15 AM

We're playing Georgia in 2015 so......

number1
August 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Same with Georgia fans. They are grumbling about scheduling Southern. Dawg fans would prefer Georgia Southern, Furman, Georgia State, UT-Chattanooga....or another FCS school within spitting distance of Athens.

I know they are, but we are going to bring a crowd!!!!

number1
August 5th, 2011, 03:18 AM

So if you got your money, stop complaining.

Jaguar79
August 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
SO you want SU to turn down a ESPN sponsered game, that was nationally televised and a big payday xlolx. Nicholls backed out on SU for a payday game in the 2000's. No one from SU itched and moaned. Get over it and move on. It happened in 05 lol. 6 years later you still ithing.

Tragic, isn't it? Maybe they are still worried about it because of the direction the Southland is taking?

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Scott Ferrell: LSU needs to keep the money in state

LSU completed its 2012 non-conference football schedule this week with the addition of Towson University.

Towson University?

Really?

Southeastern Conference schools have historically lined up punching bags for games outside of the conference. The thought process being the eight SEC games are difficult enough. SEC schools have little desire to add four more tough ones.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110807/SPORTS0401/108070358/Scott-Ferrell-LSU-needs-keep-money-state

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Excellent article, but I dont agree that SU and LSU need to play being that we have to co-exist.

Catatonic
August 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I know they are, but we are going to bring a crowd!!!!

Bringing a crowd would be nice....so long as your band is part of the crowd. Most Ga Fans are more excited about half time than the game itself.

McNeese75
August 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Tragic, isn't it? Maybe they are still worried about it because of the direction the Southland is taking?

LOL, I agree, the SU-McNeese deal is over and done with and I doubt another one will ever get on the table which is fine with me. Nice Jab at the SLC but the SWAC certainly is no shining star these days either.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
LOL, I agree, the SU-McNeese deal is over and done with and I doubt another one will ever get on the table which is fine with me. Nice Jab at the SLC but the SWAC certainly is no shining star these days either.
McNeese 75 you are alright with me, as is most McNeese fans. But we arent going to let some continue to try to bash our schools. IMO its for the best that the series is over.

TexasTerror
August 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Regardless of what schools come into the SLC and what schools leave it... the SLC will still be SUperior to the SWAC. Many of the regional D2 schools - particularly those in the Gulf South Conference (possible SLC members) - are routinely beating the SWAC as is. It would not be much to ask for to ask them to beat the SWAC as D1 schools. If anything, they are more likely to do so since the SWAC schools will visit them when/if they become D1.

Scott Ferrell: LSU needs to keep the money in state

Were all of the other schools in the state interested in playing LSU? Was LSU interested in playing Southern, Grambling and Nicholls? And Southeastern? It has to be a two-way straight, regardless of the money involved. I know Nicholls would've bent over backwards if they had the availability to play LSU. LSU must not have desired playing them...

mikebigg
August 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Grambling would talk, but it's not the end of the world. We have other options... most of our fans feel about LSU as their fans feel about us!

dgtw
August 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
LSU fans have an opinion about Grambling?

mikebigg
August 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
LSU fans have an opinion about Grambling?

Ask one of them... I don't follow them enough to care one way or another.

FormerPokeCenter
August 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I know nothing about welfare. You the one begging.

Nobody's begging Southern for a game. It doesn't do anything for us, other than hurt our strength of schedule. What we objected to is the fact that we traveled to Baton Rouge, gave you your highest attended home game of the year, spent money in your stadium, and - you reneged. Then, it took you five years to do the RIGHT thing by paying the penalty clause. We heard every excuse under the sun about why you couldn't bothered to reschedule the game, despite the fact that you played Nicholls and another PWC in the interim. It was a point of honor...if you didn't understand that then, I guess you never will ;)

The game with Southern was completely unsatisfying. Not only were you not competitive, getting spanked handily by the worst team we've had in 30 years, your damn band didn't even play at halftime, so our fans didn't get to see what they really came for....

You know we didn't schedule you because you play great football. We scheduled you because your band is entertaining...or so we've heard ;)

number1
August 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Regardless of what schools come into the SLC and what schools leave it... the SLC will still be SUperior to the SWAC. Many of the regional D2 schools - particularly those in the Gulf South Conference (possible SLC members) - are routinely beating the SWAC as is. It would not be much to ask for to ask them to beat the SWAC as D1 schools. If anything, they are more likely to do so since the SWAC schools will visit them when/if they become D1.

Were all of the other schools in the state interested in playing LSU? Was LSU interested in playing Southern, Grambling and Nicholls? And Southeastern? It has to be a two-way straight, regardless of the money involved. I know Nicholls would've bent over backwards if they had the availability to play LSU. LSU must not have desired playing them...

Now you and I both know that Nicholls and Southeastern would jump all over the place for a deal to play LSU. Who wouldn't want to collect that $510,000 check to help their athletic program? Then the travel costs would be really low since LSU is a very short drive for all of the aforementioned teams.

number1
August 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Nobody's begging Southern for a game. It doesn't do anything for us, other than hurt our strength of schedule. What we objected to is the fact that we traveled to Baton Rouge, gave you your highest attended home game of the year, spent money in your stadium, and - you reneged. Then, it took you five years to do the RIGHT thing by paying the penalty clause. We heard every excuse under the sun about why you couldn't bothered to reschedule the game, despite the fact that you played Nicholls and another PWC in the interim. It was a point of honor...if you didn't understand that then, I guess you never will ;)

The game with Southern was completely unsatisfying. Not only were you not competitive, getting spanked handily by the worst team we've had in 30 years, your damn band didn't even play at halftime, so our fans didn't get to see what they really came for....

You know we didn't schedule you because you play great football. We scheduled you because your band is entertaining...or so we've heard ;)

It just never ends.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM

A lie is nothing for McNeese folks to tell. shame. Our band did perform.
That wasnt our highest attended home game, homecoming was. And Jackson State would have been higher also, but it was moved to New Orleans to handle the crowd.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
It just never ends.

Sad huh. But they over here crying, and also has a thread on their website about SU athletics. We DGAF about them or what they do.

FormerPokeCenter
August 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
A lie is nothing for McNeese folks to tell. shame. Our band did perform.
That wasnt our highest attended home game, homecoming was. And Jackson State would have been higher also, but it was moved to New Orleans to handle the crowd.

No, your band didn't perform. There was lightning in the area....Okay, so it was you SECOND highest attended home game of the year. The point is, we traveled there in good faith.

We don't care that the football game didn't get made. We just didn't like having to listen to 5 years worth of punk-assed excuses before you finally did the honorable thing and paid the buyout. Everybody else does it up front. Not southern, they bring up the Force Majure defense and every other conceivable excuse under the sun.

We don't CARE about the game. We get better competition from Division II schools. It wasn't about the money, per se, other than the fact that after the first screw up in the negotiation process, where you guys refused to return the "unsigned" contract, we sweetened the deal and traveled to your place, first and then got hosed for it.

I wouldn't be forced to lay the facts out for Southern posters, if you guys were intellectually honest and honorable enough to recite the facts without trying to spin it. The bottom line is you punked out, and you used every excuse in the book before you finally lived up to the terms of the contract.

Congrats for finally acting like men. It was about time...

TexasTerror
August 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Now you and I both know that Nicholls and Southeastern would jump all over the place for a deal to play LSU. Who wouldn't want to collect that $510,000 check to help their athletic program? Then the travel costs would be really low since LSU is a very short drive for all of the aforementioned teams.

No in-state school would be getting over $500k. They would likely get $350-400k at most. Can't recall what McNeese and Northwestern State got. That extra $100k+ stems from the travel expenses of chartering to Baton Rouge (or New Orleans) for Towson. The schools in the most fiscal peril as far as athletic programs at the Div I FCS level in this state are the ones that the school has not scheduled...

We don't CARE about the game. We get better competition from Division II schools.

Southern also gets better competition from Div II schools - they represent a game the school can actually win (though - based on Delta State, North Carolina Central and Arkansas-Monticello), that is not always the case...

The Jaguars should be thankful that they do not play more Div II games or for that matter, games against JUCOs (see LSU-Eunice).

mikebigg
August 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM
When did Southern play Delta State? North Carolina Central was on the verge of moving to FCS...but don't act as though there are not quality D2 programs that would beat most of FCS including Sam Houston.

FormerPokeCenter
August 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I thought the Fighting Okra came in and beat Southern a few years ago? Or was that Jackson State? I know one of the SWAC teams got schooled by those crazy legumes!

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
No, your band didn't perform. There was lightning in the area....Okay, so it was you SECOND highest attended home game of the year. The point is, we traveled there in good faith.

We don't care that the football game didn't get made. We just didn't like having to listen to 5 years worth of punk-assed excuses before you finally did the honorable thing and paid the buyout. Everybody else does it up front. Not southern, they bring up the Force Majure defense and every other conceivable excuse under the sun.

We don't CARE about the game. We get better competition from Division II schools. It wasn't about the money, per se, other than the fact that after the first screw up in the negotiation process, where you guys refused to return the "unsigned" contract, we sweetened the deal and traveled to your place, first and then got hosed for it.

I wouldn't be forced to lay the facts out for Southern posters, if you guys were intellectually honest and honorable enough to recite the facts without trying to spin it. The bottom line is you punked out, and you used every excuse in the book before you finally lived up to the terms of the contract.

Congrats for finally acting like men. It was about time...
Our band did perform. I never miss a SU game. Pretty sure highlights of our band performing @ halftime is on Youtube.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM
No in-state school would be getting over $500k. They would likely get $350-400k at most. Can't recall what McNeese and Northwestern State got. That extra $100k+ stems from the travel expenses of chartering to Baton Rouge (or New Orleans) for Towson. The schools in the most fiscal peril as far as athletic programs at the Div I FCS level in this state are the ones that the school has not scheduled...

Southern also gets better competition from Div II schools - they represent a game the school can actually win (though - based on Delta State, North Carolina Central and Arkansas-Monticello), that is not always the case...

The Jaguars should be thankful that they do not play more Div II games or for that matter, games against JUCOs (see LSU-Eunice).

DIdnt your school lose to a D-2 not to long ago.

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 06:19 AM
When did Southern play Delta State? North Carolina Central was on the verge of moving to FCS...but don't act as though there are not quality D2 programs that would beat most of FCS including Sam Houston.

SHSU lost to Tarleton State a few years ago... the difference is that the SWAC schools routinely take it from the Div II (and NAIA) schools across the board. What amuses me is that in non-revenue sports, the SWAC seems to be the only Division I conference that routinely visits the non-Division I schools. What's that about? I've seen them do it in women's hoops and perhaps even men's hoops (trying to recall - though I know Southern lost to a non-scholarship squad in a scrimmage last year in MBB - LOL).

DIdnt your school lose to a D-2 not to long ago.

Yep... we did, but we're talking about a once in a blue moon event compared to an annual 'rite of passage' for the folks in the SWAC. Not just in football, but volleyball, basketball, baseball, etc...

mikebigg
August 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
So how many D2's have yall played since Tarleton State whipped you?

number1
August 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM
SHSU lost to Tarleton State a few years ago... the difference is that the SWAC schools routinely take it from the Div II (and NAIA) schools across the board. What amuses me is that in non-revenue sports, the SWAC seems to be the only Division I conference that routinely visits the non-Division I schools. What's that about? I've seen them do it in women's hoops and perhaps even men's hoops (trying to recall - though I know Southern lost to a non-scholarship squad in a scrimmage last year in MBB - LOL).

Yep... we did, but we're talking about a once in a blue moon event compared to an annual 'rite of passage' for the folks in the SWAC. Not just in football, but volleyball, basketball, baseball, etc...

What's your point? Michigan State lost their exhibition game a few years ago, and their team made it to the final four. That basketball team that you speak was also the worst basketball team in school history.

While you bring up LSU-Eunice, they would definitely beat a lot of the Southland schools in baseball as well. Heck Southern's softball team beat a ranked UL-Lafayette squad. Stuff happens, especially in baseball and softball. Yes our team lost to NC-Central(who was transitioning to FCS), South Dakota State(who was transitioning to FCS), and Arkansas-Monticello(with the worst team in football history). Those same 3 schools would give a lot of FCS schools some problems.

You know that D-II schools can stockpile talent due to much more lax recruiting standards.

Jaguar79
August 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
This whole thread reeks of Southland buddies trying to feel better about the TRAIN that is staring them in the face and the reality that they will probably have to take lower schools to survive or the unimaginable .... look at the SWAC as an option solely because of the footprint they have.

Might want to get those numbers together .... and let TT keep pumping you up ... he and the Texas SLC are gonna be fine. As will the SWAC.

Y'all might want to FOCUS on the FCS Playoffs instead .... seems like y'all need to really FOCUS there, since that is your goal.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
This whole thread reeks of Southland buddies trying to feel better about the TRAIN that is staring them in the face and the reality that they will probably have to take lower schools to survive or the unimaginable .... look at the SWAC as an option solely because of the footprint they have.

Might want to get those numbers together .... and let TT keep pumping you up ... he and the Texas SLC are gonna be fine. As will the SWAC.

Y'all might want to FOCUS on the FCS Playoffs instead .... seems like y'all need to really FOCUS there, since that is your goal.

Exactly!

How in the heck did a LSU vs Towson thread get turned into a SWAC non-revenue sports vs Div. II thread? Oh I know, TT cut and pasted from his flashdrive of useless nonsense he has accumulated over the years.

I could have sworn this forum was SPECIFICALLY for "FCS DISCUSSION" only.

If you want to bring up anything SWAC keep it out of this thread and post in one of the other 687 threads TT created about the SWAC.

andy7171
August 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Exactly!

How in the heck did a LSU vs Towson thread get turned into a SWAC non-revenue sports vs Div. II thread? Oh I know, TT cut and pasted from his flashdrive of useless nonsense he has accumulated over the years.

If you want to bring up anything SWAC keep it out of this thread and post in one of the other 687 threads TT created about the SWAC.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

dgtw
August 8th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Exactly!

How does he have time to keep up with the SWAC when he is so concerned about UNA's finances in moving up to the FCS.

BgJag
August 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
How does he have time to keep up with the SWAC when he is so concerned about UNA's finances in moving up to the FCS.

he need to be concerned with that program where he's employed, going D-2 and playing in the GSC just might bankrupt their whole athletic program......and stop sending alum e-mails about posting rumors on internet message boards!

mikebigg
August 9th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Exactly!

Careful guys...any refuting of TT's usual anti-SWAC rhethoric or merely pointing out it's off topic usually results in a "call to the principal's office"

andy7171
August 9th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Careful guys...any refuting of TT's usual anti-SWAC rhethoric or merely pointing out it's off topic usually results in a "call to the principal's office"

That **** still goes on here?

RabidRabbit
August 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
It would be enjoyable, if this thread did focus on LSU vs Towson rather than the pages of Southland vs SWAC.xrolleyesx

I doubt much will occur to this thread due to Principal's call down. xtwocentsx

Interesting the evolution of a thread..xchinscratchx

3rd Coast Tiger
August 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
It would be enjoyable, if this thread did focus on LSU vs Towson rather than the pages of Southland vs SWAC.xrolleyesx

I doubt much will occur to this thread due to Principal's call down. xtwocentsx

Interesting the evolution of a thread..xchinscratchx

All you need to do is go back to post #17 to find where it all started...

I guess the Tigers were not interested in maintaining their trend of playing in-state opposition...

Don't see why not - I know SLU and Nicholls could use the money... and they have not had their date.

Doubt Southern or Grambling would be 'game'.

Rob Iola
August 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Those bastards! Someone should do something about this!

Back on point, I'm guessing that Towson v. LSU will be about as competitive as Towson v. [insert CAA opponent here]...

andy7171
August 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Those bastards! Someone should do something about this!

Back on point, I'm guessing that Towson v. LSU will be about as competitive as Towson v. [insert CAA opponent here]...

Keep yucking it up. Word out of camp Towson is looking to take the Transfer U title away from you beach chickens! :)

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Do any of the Towson fans have any reasons to share on why the school is going rapidly from hardly ever playing FBS games to playing two FBS games in one year? Is the school in that dire financial situation? Playing two FBS games is not usually expected from teams that are located on the East Coast within several hours (if not miles) of non-conference FCS competition...

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
That **** still goes on here?

Not a chance in hell andy. You want to act like you don't know who I am then feel free though.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM

bigg, it's possible you haven't been active for a while and so forth but if you can point out a single instance from any poster here that has suffered anything in this regard over the time I've been steering this ship then I will research it and if it did happen then I'll ask that mod to drop his position. About May 15th forward would be the starting point.

Hood
August 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Nicholls backed out on SU for a payday game in the 2000's. No one from SU itched and moaned. Get over it and move on. It happened in 05 lol. 6 years later you still ithing.
When? The only thing I remember from 2000-2010 between our schools is the game in 2002 in BR that we won. I remember reading that a 3 game series was scheduled where two of the games was to be played in BR and one (the last one IIRC) in Thibodaux. The way I understand it, the contract was never signed, so that's not really "backing out."

Not trying to start any poop, this is just the first I hear of Nicholls "backing out" of a deal.

DFW HOYA
August 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Do any of the Towson fans have any reasons to share on why the school is going rapidly from hardly ever playing FBS games to playing two FBS games in one year? Is the school in that dire financial situation? Playing two FBS games is not usually expected from teams that are located on the East Coast within several hours (if not miles) of non-conference FCS competition...

Perhaps Towson will accept guarantee games with no strings attached and/or a lower fee.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 13th, 2011, 09:03 PM
When? The only thing I remember from 2000-2010 between our schools is the game in 2002 in BR that we won. I remember reading that a 3 game series was scheduled where two of the games was to be played in BR and one (the last one IIRC) in Thibodaux. The way I understand it, the contract was never signed, so that's not really "backing out."

Not trying to start any poop, this is just the first I hear of Nicholls "backing out" of a deal.
I think it was 04. From what I understand SU let Nicholls out of the contract and you guys played A FBS opponent.

etiger
August 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Towson is playing two games versus FBS teams in 2012 because our new ADwants us to play two FBS team once every 4 years. He feels that it will help with recruiting and it also brings in an extra payday to help with the Athletic Department. When you bring in players, at least once in their career they get to play Two FBS teams in a season.